Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog behaving aggressively towards family members

• 29-08-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, looking for any advice that anyone can offer. We have a three year old Rottweiler X who we purchased principally as a guard dog, which he does a very good job of. He is also a much loved family pet and he is a very loyal and affectionate companion. We have a farm at home and he often goes out into the fields with my Dad. Unfortunately, the dog has been shocked by the electric fence on a number of occasions when out on the farm. As my Dad has always been nearby the dog when this happens the dog now appears to associate my Dad with this negative experience. As a result of this, the dog has become quite aggressive towards him on a number of occasions, literally attacking him and trying to maul him. Thankfully, he has not suffered any major injuries but this is largely due to the fact that there has been some other family member in the vicinity to help control the dog. We are worried and concerned that this will not always be the case and very serious injuries may be inflicted. If anyone has any advice as to how we might address this problem or has had a similar experience we would really appreciate hearing from you. We love our pet very much but if he continues to pose such a threat to a family member we will have no choice but to have him put down as he is undoubtedly a dangerous animal if he cannot be controlled.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

TP4725 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for any advice that anyone can offer. We have a three year old Rottweiler X who we purchased principally as a guard dog, which he does a very good job of. He is also a much loved family pet and he is a very loyal and affectionate companion. We have a farm at home and he often goes out into the fields with my Dad. Unfortunately, the dog has been shocked by the electric fence on a number of occasions when out on the farm. As my Dad has always been nearby the dog when this happens the dog now appears to associate my Dad with this negative experience. As a result of this, the dog has become quite aggressive towards him on a number of occasions, literally attacking him and trying to maul him. Thankfully, he has not suffered any major injuries but this is largely due to the fact that there has been some other family member in the vicinity to help control the dog. We are worried and concerned that this will not always be the case and very serious injuries may be inflicted. If anyone has any advice as to how we might address this problem or has had a similar experience we would really appreciate hearing from you. We love our pet very much but if he continues to pose such a threat to a family member we will have no choice but to have him put down as he is undoubtedly a dangerous animal if he cannot be controlled.

If you're worried about him trust your gut instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:(

Me personally I think you already know what you need to do. But some more experienced dog lovers/dog handlers on this forum here might be able to give a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It might not be the answer you wouod like but if its attacking people there is only one answer.
    That it's not caused serious injuries is only luck. The next time it could be serious.

Bring the dog to a vet and get it put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Three recommendations to have the dog put down in as many minutes :eek:

There are two other possible solutions:

- get in touch with a behaviorist (I'm sure this forum can recommend a good one) to assess the situation. There is a chance that a change in circumstances might result in different behaviour and you may be able to keep him

- get in touch with a breed rescue and clearly state why you want to get rid of him. They may be able to help without having to put the dog down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Get a soft muzle for him to wear until a solution is found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Get a soft muzle for him to wear until a solution is found.

Baskerville muzzles (the cage type) are much better than cloth ones. They don't stop the dog from drinking and panting like the cloth ones do and they're nowhere near as stressful to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TP4725

Many thanks to all who have replied so far. Unfortunately the dog has decided his own fate since my original post. He attacked again this afternoon, more vicious than ever before and completely unprovoked. My Dad is adamant that he must be put down as he is no longer safe in his own home. While I know it is for the best, I am still greatly saddened to have to say goodbye to my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Sorry to hear about the problem. But just one thing. Surely the dog should have associated the pain inflicted with the electric fence. One or two shocks should have been enough to warn him away from the fence. Are you sure it's not something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ArnoldLayne

Yeah, some strange comments there...

It's not the dogs fault. Without any kind of judgement, the fault lies in how you and your family have handled the dog. Why was the electric fence left turned on, apparently on multiple occasions, even after the dog incurred extreme trauma. We can understand electric shocks(to some extent), animals cannot. It appears obvious to me at least that a dog running around having fun in fields should never encounter an <i>electric fence</>, at least once. Rottweilers are incredibly strong, but you have to respect that, and that's why the dog was got, as a guard dog. I'm sure the dog doesn't want to hurt anybody really, it's learnt behavior or neglect 99% of the time when dogs get aggressive, unexpectedly.

If you love the dog, find a trainer, they will probably give you frank advice for free over the phone. Training though will cost money, and will also cost a lot of time and patience on your family's part to get him/her back to normal friendly behavior.

But if you or your family are willing to do that, it will work out fine. But it will take a few months of <i>hard work</i> at least.

If not willing, the vet and a syringe is the responsible option I'm afraid. But remember it's not the Rottweilers fault. Sorry to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TP4725

It's not the dogs fault. Without any kind of judgement, the fault lies in how you and your family have handled the dog. Why was the electric fence left turned on, apparently on multiple occasions, even after the dog incurred extreme trauma. We can understand electric shocks(to some extent), animals cannot. It appears obvious to me at least that a dog running around having fun in fields should never encounter an electric fence, at least once. Rottweilers are incredibly strong, but you have to respect that, and that's why the dog was got, as a guard dog. I'm sure the dog doesn't want to hurt anybody really, it's learnt behavior or neglect 99% of the time when dogs get aggressive, unexpectedly.

While I appreciate your comments, I'm not sure that you fully understand the situation. We live on a farm, it is essential that we have an electric fence around the fields to contain our livestock. The electric fence cannot simply be turned off because the dog is in the vicinity.

• Advertisement

TP4725 wrote: »
    While I appreciate your comments, I'm not sure that you fully understand the situation. We live on a farm, it is essential that we have an electric fence around the fields to contain our livestock. The electric fence cannot simply be turned off because the dog is in the vicinity.

crikey I wrote this hours ago, but forgot to send the post button. Completely understand what you are saying. But what I thought is that the dog is brought around the fields occasionally, and for that couple of hours or so , the fence could be turned off, and then turned back on. but I've never lived on a farm so maybe not practicable.

Big strong dogs, are a big responsibility regardless. I'm sorry.

One quick thing, before I go. If the vet or the shotgun has not yet been used. Contact the vet, or a local animal charity. I have had dogs since I was a toddler, and have turned around 2 very aggressive dogs around in the last 3 years as a volunteer for other people. I have no idea where you are, I'm in Wicklow. But to be honest it's a big ask at the moment for me (not knowing you)...

There are charities out there who do amazing work. Check it out before making a final decision. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't understand how a guard dog can be a great family pet?

If the dog has been trained to guard - and the fact that it's been shocked on at least more than one occasion - I think it is understandable that it has reacted in the way it has.

If you put this dog to sleep - which I think is avoidable if you get proper behavioural treatment for it - and get another dog, have you all considered what needs to be different so that the same thing doesn't happen again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry to hear about the problem. But just one thing. Surely the dog should have associated the pain inflicted with the electric fence. One or two shocks should have been enough to warn him away from the fence. Are you sure it's not something else.

This is something that people on this forum have warned about over and over again in relation to things like shock collars; the dog may link the pain to whatever living thing is closest to it when it's shocked and far from being trained to not be aggressive to other dogs, for example, it can become more aggressive in a 'get them before they get me' way.

In this case the dog may not have even realised that he was touching the fence but he knew that the OP's dad was there and so associated him with the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, get in contact with an animal behaviourist. They may know of someone who trains guard dogs who may take on your dog. I know my grandfather used to train guard dogs and used go to pounds/rescues to look for dogs predisposed to biting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do not get this dog put down. He was shocked a few times by a gate, so he obviously feels your dad has done something to him.

Take the dog to a behavourist and try and find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Yeah if the dog genuinely is the family pet that the OP is making it out to be, you can definitely at least try fix this. Get a professional dog trainer and get some time for your dog and dad to spend some one on one time trying to fix this. The dog needs to learn that the dad is not a threat. So treat him everytime he sees him, especially near the fence etc. Positive reinforcement and change the dogs attitude about the dad and the fence!

Its very sad to hear the dog is going to be put down. If that's the only option, then fine but by the sounds of it, no other solution has even been tried yet! Poor dog!

Advertisement