Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear The Walking Dead | Season 1 | Episode 2 | So Close, Yet So Far [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Much better than last week and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now. After the pilot I was meh but this episode was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Much better than last week and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now. After the pilot I was meh but this episode was spot on.

Agreed. now has the feel of impending doom that you didn't get from episode one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They went to all that trouble to get the cart of tomatoes and then left them behind! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The show should all be about the mighty Tobias :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ricero wrote: »
    The show should all be about the mighty Tobias :pac:

He'll be the Morgan of this series... We won't see him again until Season 5 or something, but he's already a firm fan favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭crushproof

I didn't enjoy the first episode at all but this, this was much, much better. I like how it's slowly building up and not just turning into an all out virus all of a sudden.
    The plan to go to the desert isn't great at all - I'll be wondering how on earth they get out the city. Needless to say it's my biggest of fear - if the SHTF and I live in a massive place like LA. Chances of even getting out of the city are quite slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Really enjoyed this episode, more so than the pilot. I love the build up and tension created, and dealing with the slow collapse of society in detail. The show has a really epic feel to it, even more so TWD, it feels like a feature film at times with certain grand shots. The desert storyline seems unlikely to happen as it will really negate the premise of this companion show.

I'm very optimistic about this show now, roll on next week!

What is fantastic about it is that it's very much of the time - as in, those are the exact reactions that you'd now get to police shooting unarmed people. I was completely expecting the homeless guy's arm to twitch live on TV. Fantastic episode. I enjoyed the pilot, but this was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Enjoyed it, think they've done well with eps 1 and 2.

Wonder if people thought ep 1 was slow because it wasn't full of Walkers like the TWD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That episode was better than the first but a couple of things annoyed me. the plan just to go to 'the desert' seems a bit stupid. Its a pretty inhospitable environment, they'll need a lot of supplies to survive for any amount of time. Also, the husband said to go and he'll meet them there. Eh, how are they supposed to find each other exactly? The desert is huge! Unless they have a prearranged place to go which we don't know about.

And why didn't they just explain to Alicia why she had to stay away from her boyfriend and why she couldn't go out to help the neighbour when she was being attacked? I'm sure if she knew her fella was definitely going to turn into a flesh eating zombie then she would have left pretty sharpish and wouldn't be trying to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm sure if she knew her fella was definitely going to turn into a flesh eating zombie then she would have left pretty sharpish and wouldn't be trying to go back.

Three reasons why she wouldn't have left him.

1. Teenage girl in love.
    2. Teenage girl unlikely to believe in flesh eating zombies without witnessing same herself.
    3. Teenage girl in love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Yeah it was much better than last week's, hopefully the trend continues.

Something I thought was interesting was when Tobias tried to stab the dude in the head and it just bounced off, I know he's only a kid and the knife wasn't up to much but think it also showed that these zombies are much fresher / tougher than those in the primary series.

I don't remember seeing the kid from The Wire getting bit last week, was it shown?

Yeah it was much better than last week's, hopefully the trend continues.

Something I thought was interesting was when Tobias tried to stab the dude in the head and it just bounced off, I know he's only a kid and the knife wasn't up to much but think it also showed that these zombies are much fresher / tougher than those in the primary series.

I don't remember seeing the kid from The Wire getting bit last week, was it shown?

I just thought it was because Tobias is pretty weak and the knife was small. Rick and co have no trouble stabbing even fresh walkers through the head in the main series. They are stronger, more experienced at where to strike and generally have good weapons.

It didn't show the kid getting bitten as far as I can recall. Him not showing up to meet his gf was the only indication that something was up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

1. Teenage girl in love.
    2. Teenage girl unlikely to believe in flesh eating zombies without witnessing same herself.
    3. Teenage girl in love.

I thought she was coming down with a bad case of Kim Bauer syndrome but thankfully her brother had a well timed fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

1. Teenage girl in love.
    3. Teenage girl in love.

i thought she left him way too easily in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah certain lack of just explain to people what you saw even if its sounds crazy, yerman on the phone in the truck to his ex-wife dont demand things from her tell her whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

yeah certain lack of just explain to people what you saw even if its sounds crazy, yerman on the phone in the truck to his ex-wife dont demand things from her tell her whats going on.

Yeah I was thinking the same, I assumed that if they're in that position relationship wise then just demanding stuff / instructing her would go down like a lead balloon.

Wonder if the secondary school will be making a reappearance (considering all the food there), have to assume that there's either a shed load of zombies or looters in there now, the metal detector kept going off and the 2 characters appeared to have ran in the opposite direction and still bumped in to zombie Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I just thought it was because Tobias is pretty weak and the knife was small. Rick and co have no trouble stabbing even fresh walkers through the head in the main series. They are stronger, more experienced at where to strike and generally have good weapons.

It didn't show the kid getting bitten as far as I can recall. Him not showing up to meet his gf was the only indication that something was up.

I think it's more down to these being fresh zombies. A lot of the zombies you see Rick et al stabbing effortlessly through the skull are extremely decomposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm still not into it. It might be the characters - they're all so meh... I'll stick with it, but I'm not convinced they have actually solved the serious pacing problems that TWD has in this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

The protest at the LAPD shooting homeless guy was good, as it blended some very topical, real world behaviour into the story.

On the other hand, I'm finding the lack of the characters giving a most basic and proper warning to each other, of the imminent and dreadful danger, utterly frustrating and unrealistic behaviour.

When you know there are seemingly-crazy, infected with some bizarre disease, FLESHEATING, seemingly-reanimated dead people, who-can-take-take-a-magazine-of-9-millimetres-to-the-chest-and-carry-on-like-it's-an-insect-bite, wandering the streets of your town, you DO NOT politely acquiesce to your neighbour's invite to a party on their front lawn, on the edge of the side walk and vulnerable to anything passing by. You tell them WTF you have seen happening and warn them to GTF indoors and bar their windows and doors.

Ditto when your teenage-in-luv daughter wants to stay in the embrace of her clearly dying boyfriend who has clearly been bitten by one of "them" and likely to very soon be snacking on said luvstruck teenager.

Ditto all the other similar situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Liking it so far and would agree with peoples praise of it here. the actors are pretty good and the atomosphere is captured quite well, the good points so far allow ya to look over the usual lazy plot devices ie. bad communication. it could have been a cheap knock off but its looking like itll hold its own.

one thing that is getting to me a bit is that apart from the location and characters the general plot is quite similar to the TWD and other zombie/apocalypse dramas. i hope they insert some new info into this and give us more food for thought on the walking dead universe (eg. the reason or hints as to why it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Very good episode. The pace has moved up a notch and there's a nice sense of impending doom about the show. The mother wasn't as mildly annoying as she was last week and I thought Nick's cold turkey stuff was handled well.

I wonder what they will do about keeping the family members together and alive. It will be interesting to see how new characters will be integrated into the show. We saw with the original show how they can keep bringing new characters into it but the nature of the gang moving around from place to place meant they could do that quite easily. Can they do the same thing here?

On a side note, Travis' son Chris has some of the worst make-up I've seen on an actor!

I think it's more down to these being fresh zombies. A lot of the zombies you see Rick et al stabbing effortlessly through the skull are extremely decomposed.

Bob was stabbed in the head by tyreese as soon as he died. Herschel too. Although the knifes the main cast have are a lot better than basically a steak knife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

duridian wrote: »
    The protest at the LAPD shooting homeless guy was good, as it blended some very topical, real world behaviour into the story.

On the other hand, I'm finding the lack of the characters giving a most basic and proper warning, of the imminent and dreadful danger, to each other utterly frustrating and unrealistic behaviour.

When you know there are seemingly-crazy, infected with some bizarre disease, FLESHEATING, seemingly-reanimated dead people, who-can-take-take-a-magazine-of-9-millimetres-to-the-chest-and-carry-on-like-it's-an-insect-bite, wandering the streets of your town, you DO NOT politely acquiesce to your neighbour's invite to a party on their front lawnm, on the edge of the side walk and vulnerable to anything passing by. You tell them WTF you have seen happening and warn them to GTF indoors and bar their windows and doors.

Ditto when your teenage-in-luv daughter wants to stay in the embrace of her clearly dying boyfriend who has clearly been bitten by one of "them" and likely to very soon be snacking on said luvstruck teenager.

Ditto all the other similar situations.
    Madison

-took a knife off Tobias who tried to warn her
    -heard Nick talking about dead people
    -went to the church and saw the blood bath
    -saw Calvn get up and walk when he should be dead
    -got the run down from Tobias on how these things work and how quickly civilisation falls apart

and still she hesitated when the principal was trying to eat Tobias, hoping that the principal was still a real person.

Madison and Travis know that people won't believe them and aren't wasting time. Their main concern is to get their family out before the **** really hits the fan. I think Madison has the potential to be quite ruthless later on. She certainly showed she has the cold survival instinct, when she wouldn't contemplate helping the next door neighbour from being attacked.

We're so used to seeing Rick struggle with his moral dilemmas that it seems strange that someone would act out of selfish interests without a second thought. Also don't forget the cop who was stocking up the boot with water for his implied flight. I'd most of the people who cop what is happening will try to get out quietly before total chaos hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Just to note, there will be no new episode of Fear The Walking Dead on Sunday coming as it is Labor Day weekend in the US, episode 3 will air on September 13th. This means that Fear The Walking Dead will run straight from its Season 1 finale on Sunday October 4 to the Season 6 premiere of The Walking Dead on Sunday October 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Madison and Travis know that people won't believe them and aren't wasting time. Their main concern is to get their family out before the **** really hits the fan. I think Madison has the potential to be quite ruthless later on. She certainly showed she has the cold survival instinct, when she wouldn't contemplate helping the next door neighbour from being attacked.

Those are some fair points Paddy, but the stuff with the daughter and the bf (Matt?) is still baffling. Surely they would explain better to her the potential danger he represented, even if it might result in a massive hissy fit. Especially when they knew he had been bitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I keep telling myself it's entirely coincidental that I went knife-shopping in TK Maxx yesterday. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Loving this, really felt the tension. It got me. Gave it a 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Enjoyable episode. like a lot of zombie films the plot is most interesting at the start when people are trying to figure out whats happening. Nice to see they are keeping up the WD tradition of killing the black dudes. One each in this episode and the first one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Some good moments but like the Walking Dead the writers insist on making the characters act retarded every now and again. Like the fat kid breaking into school to steal food and get his knife back. Or the wife not helping the neighbour.

Advertisement