Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One scoop or two?

Options
  • 29-08-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Been doing this for a year and have been presented with a strange query.
    Last year it was suggested to me to have a scoop of whey about an hour before I train so as to ensure my system is completely saturated with protein.

But I see some people saying that for best results, you should take two scoops after the workout for best results.

I always thought that you're body can only absorb so much at one time and that by taking too much would be a waste.

Is there any substance to either of these methods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Been doing this for a year and have been presented with a strange query.
    Last year it was suggested to me to have a scoop of whey about an hour before I train so as to ensure my system is completely saturated with protein.

But I see some people saying that for best results, you should take two scoops after the workout for best results.

I always thought that you're body can only absorb so much at one time and that by taking too much would be a waste.

Is there any substance to either of these methods?

LOL where do people come up with this bullsh*t?

None of this matters. You want 2 scoops? Take 2 scoops; the only difference is you'll get double the protein in one sitting which means you won't need it from another meal in the day.

The only thing that matters is how much protein you get in every day, and even then having a little more or a little less on an average day means nothing in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

LOL where do people come up with this bullsh*t?

None of this matters. You want 2 scoops? Take 2 scoops; the only difference is you'll get double the protein in one sitting which means you won't need it from another meal in the day.

The only thing that matters is how much protein you get in every day, and even then having a little more or a little less on an average day means nothing in the long run.

I get what you're saying, but does that mean I could have my whole daily requirement on one sitting? And then plod about the rest of the day without any more?

I get what you're saying, but does that mean I could have my whole daily requirement on one sitting? And then plod about the rest of the day without any more?

If you want to get 100g+ of protein in one meal then fire away; you'll probably get violently sick though :pac:

The whole 'anything more than 30g of protein in an hour is a waste' thing is a total myth; some bodybuilders only have 3 meals a day, they're getting a lot of protein in with each meal; sure even Big Ramy ate nothing during the day during Ramadan, and he's one of the pros.

The only thing that matters is your daily intake. The only thing regarding timing I think about is some carbs before I train so I have lots of energy; the rest is bs created by supp companies to sell their 'fast acting' whey protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want to get 100g+ of protein in one meal then fire away; you'll probably get violently sick though :pac:.
    A big steak is 100g of protein, I doubt you'd be sick

But yeah they wee spouting nonsense.
    You don't saturate your system with protein, you aren't limited to 30g in one go, and it's prob still digesting long after your workout. So it's a really minor consideration

Mellor wrote: »
    A big steak is 100g of protein, I doubt you'd be sick

But yeah they wee spouting nonsense.
    You don't saturate your system with protein, you aren't limited to 30g in one go, and it's prob still digesting long after your workout. So it's a really minor consideration

Steak has about 20g of protein for every 100g so if you wanted 100g of protein you'd need to eat close to 18oz of steak, which would absolutely make me sick.

• Advertisement

Steak has about 20g of protein for every 100g so if you wanted 100g of protein you'd need to eat close to 18oz of steak, which would absolutely make me sick.
    Leaner steaks are slightly higher, maybe 22-23g/100g, so it's about 450g steak, or 16oz. And it'd be weigh less once its cooked.
    Now about twice the size of what I'd stick on the plate at home. But I'd consider my portions small. At steakhouse 8/10/16oz is pretty common. I'd assume people finish 16oz without getting violently sick all the time.

Eating only one meal a day probably makes it easier to put away a massive meal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Can't remember where I got the notion but was always under the impression that you needed a stable stream of protein throughout the day.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
    It must be just the supp. companies spreading bs because I've started using a new brand that recommends two scoops as the standard AND the scoop is much bigger than any I've had before!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's a little better to spread it throughout the day for maximal protein synthesis.

In the real world, if you're trying to get enough protein on board, you're not going to go for it in one big hit. If you're a normal person, you'll probably eat at least three times a day. Involve protein at each of theose meals. Do that and timing of supplementation matters even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It must be just the supp. companies spreading bs because I've started using a new brand that recommends two scoops as the standard AND the scoop is much bigger than any I've had before!

It depends on the protein content of the powder. Most will be 75-80% so a 30g scoop gives you 22-24g per scoop.

Some might be much lower so you'll need 2 scoops to give you something in the range of 25-30g protein

Can't remember where I got the notion but was always under the impression that you needed a stable stream of protein throughout the day.
    If you eat a 16oz steak, you'll probably be digesting it for most of the day. Giving you a fairly steady stream of protein

• Advertisement
Advertisement