Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

Michaels & Rock are on another level lately when it comes to producing academy level players..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 keanecm

Any reason why Belvo have so few representative players this year compared to Michaels and Rock?

keanecm wrote: »
    Any reason why Belvo have so few representative players this year compared to Michaels and Rock?

Belvedere:
    Hugh O'Sullivan - Leinster u18 at scrumhalf
    James McKeown - Leinster u19 extended squad
    Conor Jennings - Leinster u19 extended squad
    Hugh Sexton
    Peter Maher
    David Hawkshaw
    Paraic Cagney
    Daniel McCaffrey - Leinster u19 extended squad
    Cian Galvin
    Conor Walsh
    Hugh Fenlon
    Brian Egan - Leinster u19
    Senan McNulty
    Max Kearney
    Tom de Jongh - Injured for Interpros.

Hawkshaw is only in 4th year, not sure who else was massively hard done by in not making a leinster squad, maybe Max Kearney or Paraic Cagney.

I'd say Jennings, McKeown, Egan, De Jongh and McCaffrey will all be with Leinster u20 this summer although will any be 1st choice, possibly not.

Blackrock
    James McGowan - Leinster u19
    Patrick Patterson - Leinster u18 at scrumhalf
    Gavin Mullin - Leinster u19
    Liam Turner
    Conor Kelly
    Conor Dean - injured for interpros
    Luke Gaffney
    Emmet Burns
    Stephen McLaughlin
    Richie Mouat
    Colm O'Flaherty
    Charlie Ryan - Leinster u18
    Richard Dunne
    Hugo Burke
    Caelan Doris - Leinster u18

Leinster players missing from starting 15 - Andrew Murphy(dropped), Johnny Fairley(bench), Steven Kilgallen(injured) & Tommy O'Brien(injured).

St. Michaels
    Jack Kelly - injured for interpros
    Michael Heaney
    James Hickey - Leinster u18
    Ian O’Kelly
    Christopher Carey - Leinster u18 extended squad
    Harry Byrne - Leinster u18
    Tomas Killeen
    Ronan Kelleher - injured for interpros
    Stephen Judge
    Samuel Griffin
    Ryan Baird
    Jack Dunne - Leinster u18 extended squad
    Oisin Dowling - Leinster u19
    Scott Penny
    Barry Fitzpatrick

Not a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

jony_dols wrote: »
    I'm just using your criteria, for what makes an average side, as you stated about the winners last year. Big, powerful and not as good outside as upfront. Check, check and check. Doesn't mean it can't be a good game, as I'm sure whoever competes the final will be.

On Castleknock...they haven't produced a half-competitive Cup side in over a decade, rugby has been a steep decline ever since they shut the boarding. Unfortunately they've become the new De LaSalle... 'Rock always put poor sides to the sword, whether it's a good year or not. No difference this year.

The new DLS? Please...

DLS haven't been in the first round proper in well over a decade, possibly 15 at this stage. Castleknock had a poor enough result scoreline wise vs Conleths who you would be expecting them to put to the sword, but they haven't been a real force is schools rugby year in year out for a few decades now.

They are still there or thereabouts though in the mid tier schools with Gonzaga, CBC, KH, Andrews, Gerards, Kilkenny and Marys (schools that regularly get to the last 8 of the cup & league finals). Newbridge are a nose in front of those schools with Roscrea now undoubtedly in what is really a "Big 5"; Blackrock, Belvedere, Michaels, Clongowes and Roscrea. Terenure overall are probably at Newbridge's level, they aren't competitive year in year out anymore but the size of their year groups mean they will still get to Semi Finals and Finals every decade. The change in the landscape of schools rugby in the last 5 years has been amazing to see.

Castleknock have a long way to go to being DLS.

For me at the moment it's;

Belvedere, Blackrock, Roscrea, Clongowes, Michaels
    Terenure, Newbridge
    Andrews, CBC, Castleknock, Gerards, Marys, Gonzaga, Kilkenny, KH
    CUS, Pres Bray, The High School, Wesley

Templeogue are really an A School now but I did note they beat Andrews in the Fr Godfrey. You can make some amendments to the above list for Junior Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

sfbdqc wrote: »

Blackrock
    James McGowan - Leinster u19
    Patrick Patterson - Leinster u18 at scrumhalf
    Gavin Mullin - Leinster u19
    Liam Turner
    Conor Kelly
    Conor Dean - injured for interpros
    Luke Gaffney
    Emmet Burns
    Stephen McLaughlin
    Richie Mouat
    Colm O'Flaherty
    Charlie Ryan - Leinster u18
    Richard Dunne
    Hugo Burke
    Caelan Doris - Leinster u18

Leinster players missing from starting 15 - Andrew Murphy(dropped), Johnny Fairley(bench), Steven Kilgallen(injured) & Tommy O'Brien(injured).

To think that Caelan Doris was still 15 when he played in the senior cup final in 2014 is crazy. It wasn't like that was a weak team either.

The Independent said that Gaffney played Leinster u19s but I pretty sure that was an error.

The Independent said that Gaffney played Leinster u19s but I pretty sure that was an error.

yeah it is.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Doris play Leinster u20 next season, skipping u19 and potentially playing for Ireland u20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Clongowes beat CBC with a try with the last play by the full back. Ran the pitch. 31-26 final score, a classic. Disappointing for the CBC boys.

themont85 wrote: »
    Clongowes beat CBC with a try with the last play by the full back. Ran the pitch. 31-26 final score, a classic. Disappointing for the CBC boys.

fullback got a hat trick I believe.

monkstown have a huge centre for this level, 6 foot 4 maybe

Munster Senior Cup: Crescent College vs CBC Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster Senior: Crescent College vs CBC Cork
    Crescent possibly favourites considering they won 33-12 today. Final in Cork on 13th March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

yeah it is.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Doris play Leinster u20 next season, skipping u19 and potentially playing for Ireland u20.

Perhaps.
    He's a fine physical specimen.
    Would need to start looking for more soft shoulders and the odd offload instead of always looking for contact - something he wouldn't get away with at 20s level.

Very assured under a high ball and a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DV3

Haven't heard much talk of Hawkshaw for Belvedere, supposedly still in 4th year? Immense talent if true.

DV3 wrote: »
    Haven't heard much talk of Hawkshaw for Belvedere, supposedly still in 4th year? Immense talent if true.

Yeah, in 4th year.
    Played 10 for Belvo Juniors 2 years ago as a second year and 12 as a 3rd year.
    Playing 10 for the SCT now as a 4th year.

Yeah, in 4th year.
    Played 10 for Belvo Juniors 2 years ago as a second year and 12 as a 3rd year.
    Playing 10 for the SCT now as a 4th year.

Great player to watch, can see himself and O'Sullivan going places provided they stay fit.

Perhaps.
    He's a fine physical specimen.
    Would need to start looking for more soft shoulders and the odd offload instead of always looking for contact - something he wouldn't get away with at 20s level.

Very assured under a high ball and a great player.

Yeah he has things to work on but for being only 17 he looks a good prospect. He is from Mayo, so I wonder will Connacht try to recruit him west.

• Advertisement

DV3 wrote: »
    Great player to watch, can see himself and O'Sullivan going places provided they stay fit.

I'd say they are the most likely players from Belvo to make the leinster academy.

Those two plus Tom De Jongh are the three standouts I'd have from a Leinster academy perspective.

Best of the remaining teams:

1. Michael Milne(Roscrea)
    2. Ronan Kelleher(Michaels)
    3. Dylan Murphy(Roscrea)
    4. Oisin Dowling(Michaels)
    5. Fineen Wycherly(Roscrea)
    6. Sean McCrohan(Clongowes)
    7. Tom De Jongh(Belvedere)
    8. Barry Fitzpatrick(Michaels)
    9. Padraic Cagney(Belvedere)
    10. Harry Byrne(Michaels)
    11. Michael Silvester(Clongowes)
    12. Conor Jennings(Belvedere)
    13. James Hickey(Michaels)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)
    15. Hugh O'Sullivan(Belvedere)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

Who are the players to look out for in the Pres Juniors - against Rock ?

Who are the players to look out for in the Pres Juniors - against Rock ?

Dunno much about Pres.
    Rock have two huge forwards fir this level - Ed Brennan and Cian Duffy, don't know much else.

Going back a bit , but Pres have had a few decent players in their day... Dowling on the wing and Montford scrum half are two they can still talk about. Hard to see a win for them today however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Best of the remaining teams:

1. Michael Milne(Roscrea)
    2. Ronan Kelleher(Michaels)
    3. Dylan Murphy(Roscrea)
    4. Oisin Dowling(Michaels)
    5. Fineen Wycherly(Roscrea)
    6. Sean McCrohan(Clongowes)
    7. Tom De Jongh(Belvedere)
    8. Barry Fitzpatrick(Michaels)
    9. Padraic Cagney(Belvedere)
    11. Michael Silvester(Clongowes)
    12. Conor Jennings(Belvedere)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)
    15. Hugh O'Sullivan(Belvedere)

Michaels a better Back line than Belvo !!
    I dont think so and We will see soon enough

Michaels a better Back line than Belvo !!
    I dont think so and We will see soon enough

they might have better individual players for me.. as a whole unit, Belvo have a better 9 to 15.

Combined backline would look something like this:

9. Padraic Cagney(Belvo)
    11. James McKeown(Belvo)
    12. Conor Jennings(Belvo)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)
    15. Hugh O'Sullivan(Belvo)

they might have better individual players for me.. as a whole unit, Belvo have a better 9 to 15.

9. Padraic Cagney(Belvo)
    11. James McKeown(Belvo)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)

I suspect some Michael's bias , but none the less we will find out soon enough.

My take would be Michael's are stronger in the pack but completely outclassed out back and this will take Belvo to the Final. But if Michael's can upset the odds it will be through 10 man rugby

9. Padraic Cagney(Belvo)
    11. James McKeown(Belvo)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)

Why put Jennings out of position?

My take would be Michael's are stronger in the pack but completely outclassed out back and this will take Belvo to the Final. But if Michael's can upset the odds it will be through 10 man rugby

I'm no michaels man, i have no interest in being biased either for Michaels or against Belvo.

you must have forgot some of the tries Michaels scored this season.. i recommend you refresh your memory especially the one where Harry Byrne passes through his legs.

To say they'll be completely outclassed in the backs is a rather large statement, maybe you are the biased one?

as I said as a complete cohesive unit, Belvo has better backs.. on an individual basis, Kelly and Byrne and probably Hickey would all start for Belvo.

Why put Jennings out of position?
    to get him in the team.. figure if he can play 10 and 13 he can manage 12.

suppose you could make the case for this team:

9. Padraic Cagney(Belvo)
    11. James McKeown(Belvo)
    12. David Hawkshaw(Belvo)
    13. Conor Jennings(Belvo)
    14. Jack Kelly(Michaels)

Pres bray beating Rock at the moment 6-5

I'm no michaels man, i have no interest in being biased either for Michaels or against Belvo.

you must have forgot some of the tries Michaels scored this season.. i recommend you refresh your memory especially the one where Harry Byrne passes through his legs.

To say they'll be completely outclassed in the backs is a rather large statement, maybe you are the biased one?

as I said as a complete cohesive unit, Belvo has better backs.. on an individual basis, Kelly and Byrne and probably Hickey would all start for Belvo.

I am regularly rightly accused of bias against both Michael's and Belvo , I have good friends who went to both and I regularly refer to both teams and past pupils in terms usually reserved for war criminals and paedophiles.

So certainly no bias for either side on my part.
    It is not that I think Michael's backs are bad but that Belvos were awesome against Rock , better in probably every position.

I am regularly rightly accused of bias against both Michael's and Belvo , I have good friends who went to both and I regularly refer to both teams and past pupils in terms usually reserved for war criminals and paedophiles.

So certainly no bias for either side on my part.
    It is not that I think Michael's backs are bad but that Belvos were awesome against Rock , better in probably every position.

and again they played well as a combined unit.. but as individual talents.. there won't be many who start for Leinster u20 when there time comes..less than Rock and Michaels I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That's a terrible call. Michaels have possibly best out half in tournament in Harry Byrne and Jack Kelly has been the most impressive back in the tournament so far. James Hickey would make the Belvo team too. You could argue Belvo have better backs, though I disagree, but no evidence to say completely outclassed.

• Advertisement

That's a terrible call. Michaels have possibly best out half in tournament in Harry Byrne and Jack Kelly has been the most impressive back in the tournament so far. James Hickey would make the Belvo team too. You could argue Belvo have better backs, though I disagree, but no evidence to say completely outclassed.

Jack Kelly the most impressive in the tournament? Granted he looks a great player but I don't think a couple of tries against an exceedingly average Nure side warrants that label. I'd have thought Hawkshaw myself, extremely impressive in two very physical matches against Rock, especially taking into account he's a 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In terms of backs Kelly has certainly looked the most impressive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

any result in jct game?

FT Pres Bray 6 Rock 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Not much talk about the junior cup here. Who are the favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

No junior school will hurt Terenure in the junior cup and probably overall for participation but I wouldn't panic based on these results. Belvo had a few years where they weren't in contention and now they've got a few good years still to come.

Maybe an unpopular opinion here but no junior school may increase participation if Terenure play their cards right. The Junior school has been GAA focused the past few years due to the principal and that has shown in the senior school and the number past pupils playing for local clubs.
    The main primary schools Terenure get pupils from are St. Marys Rathfarnham, Joeys Terenure and Pius to name a few. Now if they can get rugby going in those schools and get those kids into the currently thriving club at a young age (1st class or younger) instead of how its is now where these kids are playing GAA in primary school and clubs before they get to Terenure in 3rd class where they continue to play GAA and start some rugby but nowhere near as much as Willow Park or other similar schools, for the past few years at least.
    So the school closing might not be as bad as you might think but only if Terenure manage it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

[

Belvedere beat Newbridge in the Juniors by approx 20 points today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Junior Cup Semi Final Draw
    Belvo v Rock
    Clongowes v Michaels

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Who is expected to win between

(a) Clongowes and Roscrea

(b) Michaels and Belvedere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Who is expected to win between

(a) Clongowes and Roscrea

(b) Michaels and Belvedere.

Clongowes and Belvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭11393551

How do people see clongowes roscrea going tomorrow? Surely roscrea have a great chance of winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

11393551 wrote: »
    How do people see clongowes roscrea going tomorrow? Surely roscrea have a great chance of winning?

Clongowes always beat Roscrea when it matters. Over twice the size of student population.

Roscrea pack are dangerous.
    I wouldn't write them off at all.
    I think there'll be one score in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭11393551

Whats your score prediction for belvo michaels?

First of Ulster senior semis is today. RBAI v Ballymena.
    Predictions?

• Advertisement

11393551 wrote: »
    Whats your score prediction for belvo michaels?

Belvo by 10-12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

rughug wrote: »
    Clongowes always beat Roscrea when it matters. Over twice the size of student population.

I'm fairly certain none of the students in the school have ever seen Roscrea play Clongowes in the cup.

Really irrelevant history and didn't matter one bit in the Rock game last year.

rughug wrote: »
    Do they? And what relevance does past matches have on current students?

RBAI beat Ballymena Academy 27-19 in first of Ulster senior semis today. Predictions on other semi finals this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Semi Final odds now live on Paddy Power.
    Clongowes 1/2
    Draw 17/1
    Roscrea 17/10

Clongowes -5 5/6
    Roscrea +5 5/6

Belvo 8/15
    Draw 16/1
    Michaels 17/10

Belvo -5 5/6
    Michaels +5 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Islander13 wrote: »
    Sky plussed the game. Just watched it back there. Great match. Credit to the two teams. Belvedere's skill level was a cut above though. Think Rock were lucky to be within a score at the end
    I've attended many Schools matches down the decades, but this Belvo-Rock epic is the best I've ever seen.

Apart from the quality of both teams, the lead changed hands 6 times. Belvo led for 37 minutes, Rock for 29.

Huge credit to both teams!

• Advertisement
Advertisement