Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

marbless wrote: »
    I've attended many Schools matches down the decades, but this Belvo-Rock epic is the best I've ever seen.

Apart from the quality of both teams, the lead changed hands 6 times. Belvo led for 37 minutes, Rock for 29.

Huge credit to both teams!

Am sick I missed it and forgot to record. Setanta have said they've no plans to repeat it either which is idiotic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I thought the Rock v Roscrea match '13 was more thrilling personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

its_phil wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain none of the students in the school have ever seen Roscrea play Clongowes in the cup.

Really irrelevant history and didn't matter one bit in the Rock game last year.

Do you not believe in tradition and 68 Senior Cup wins . And the example of Roscrea in 2013 when ahead by 12 points , Rock with a man down , they still win. Of course history matters. Belief , bordering on arrogance , all the BIG schools have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

rughug wrote: »
    Do you not believe in tradition and 68 Senior Cup wins . And the example of Roscrea in 2013 when ahead by 12 points , Rock with a man down , they still win. Of course history matters. Belief , bordering on arrogance , all the BIG schools have it.

Not really when the defending champions are playing. Not sure what more belief the Roscrea lads need and why they should be crippled by weight of history. If that was the case Roscrea still wouldn't have a cup.

Roscrea fupped up 2013 because of their failure to adapt tactics and the brilliant Garry Ringrose. They weren't thinking 68 cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I fancy Roscrea and Belvo - Roscrea pack is massive and well drilled, Clongowes are always tough , think half the Roscrea team are back from last year, there my underdogs to win outright this year. (again)
    Belvedere midfield is best i've ever seen mind

I reckon it will be a one score game, but I fancy Clongowes simply because the Roscrea kickers make me nervous.

Here is to being wrong, like I was about the same thing in the cup final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

thebaz wrote: »
    I fancy Roscrea and Belvo - Roscrea pack is massive and well drilled, Clongowes are always tough , think half the Roscrea team are back from last year, there my underdogs to win outright this year. (again)
    Belvedere midfield is best i've ever seen mind

Belvo midfield the best you've ever seen?

Based on one game?

Roscrea should be favourites today, don't let their supporters fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

sfbdqc wrote: »
    Belvo midfield the best you've ever seen?

Based on one game?

Exactly...why couldn't they be so dominant in the first leg of the Rock match? Nobody was saying anything about them before the last match. Not denying there's a serious amount of talent there but people are going overboard on praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Gleefully staying the obvious but all of the above is in reference to blackrocks tradition and not the team in question. Clongowes haven't won a cup since 11. By your logic roscrea are a BIGGER school than clongowes as they showed far more belief in last year's cup. I absolutely believe a winning culture is important but I've seen winning cultures harvested within a year or less, arguably 2011 is the earliest whatsoever relevant cup year as its when the current 6th years were in first year. If Blackrock brought in crap coaches and had their playing numbers halved the winning culture would die out within a few years regardless of ther history.

• Advertisement

Not really relevant with thses two teams.. you have roscrea who have a more talented team and the experience of winning a cup and two leagues in the past two seasons against a "big school" who has some talent but not on the same level as previous seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

Going back only as far as the QF 2013 win over then-rightly-fancied Terenure (w Ireland representatives Brewer, Dardis' and O'Neill in the backs) at Tallagh stadium, (reffed by R Poite, it being the year after the very odd extra-time-gate incident v Michael's) Roscrea have, I think, now escaped the self-doubt vortex orbitals.

The semi final late-late-loss to Rock mentioned earlier was crushing and disappointing for them but credit is due to the worthy winners for sticking to the task (later to be Ireland U20 Jack Dwan etc. came off Blackrock's killer bench) on the day. The result came in the red clock zone, but the Tallagh win brought them back the following year.

As a tiny school population Roscrea won't realistically expect to win the cup too often but I think they are out of the inferiority woods and will be on the front foot for quite some time - league and cup, junior and senior; their sparse population notwithstanding. Whether Roscrea beat Clongowes today is no cert since we are at the steep end of the competition and who knows who will raise their game on the new open D4 pitch.

The history of cup failure is dead. A new history is born. Winning the cup just once will give any school a priceless and I believe perpetual resilience. I don't expect Roscrea to lack confidence any time soon.

Junior cup semis

Belvo meet Rock
    Clongowes meet Michaels

Predicting a Belvo Michaels final.

Going back only as far as the QF 2013 win over then-rightly-fancied Terenure (w Ireland representatives Brewer, Dardis' and O'Neill in the backs) at Tallagh stadium, (reffed by R Poite, it being the year after the very odd extra-time-gate incident v Michael's) Roscrea have, I think, now escaped the self-doubt vortex orbitals.

The semi final late-late-loss to Rock mentioned earlier was crushing and disappointing for them but credit is due to the worthy winners for sticking to the task (later to be Ireland U20 Jack Dwan etc. came off Blackrock's killer bench) on the day. The result came in the red clock zone, but the Tallagh win brought them back the following year.

As a tiny school population Roscrea won't realistically expect to win the cup too often but I think they are out of the inferiority woods and will be on the front foot for quite some time - league and cup, junior and senior; their sparse population notwithstanding. Whether Roscrea beat Clongowes today is no cert since we are at the steep end of the competition and who knows who will raise their game on the new open D4 pitch.

The history of cup failure is dead. A new history is born. Winning the cup just once will give any school a priceless and I believe perpetual resilience. I don't expect Roscrea to lack confidence any time soon.

Roscrea's population argument is not as big an issue due to the heavy recruitment they do in the surrounding counties, connacht and even as far as Cork.

"Roscrea's population argument is not as big an issue due to the heavy recruitment they do in the surrounding counties, connacht and even as far as Cork."

I agree that it seems to be an attractive school, coming second this year in the data on university placement in fact for instance. And as a boarding school it's hardly going to expect the all kids to be from the local parish. Good luck to any school who can attract the kids it wants.

In the meantime You may be forgetting that Luke Fitz or Leo Cullen and many more trek in from Wicklah and beyond in a capital catchment area of a million, with plenty of Mummy's all round the Pale ready to present the cup come the day. Yes - Roscrea recruit widely and kids with the BOD dream hike it in to Rock from all directions. Credit to the schools if they can provide what so many other can not.

"Roscrea's population argument is not as big an issue due to the heavy recruitment they do in the surrounding counties, connacht and even as far as Cork."

I agree that it seems to be an attractive school, coming second this year in the data on university placement in fact for instance. And as a boarding school it's hardly going to expect the all kids to be from the local parish. Good luck to any school who can attract the kids it wants.

In the meantime You may be forgetting that Luke Fitz or Leo Cullen and many more trek in from Wicklah and beyond in a capital catchment area of a million, with plenty of Mummy's all round the Pale ready to present the cup come the day. Yes - Roscrea recruit widely and kids with the BOD dream hike it in to Rock from all directions. Credit to the schools if they can provide what so many other can not.

Not sure why you found the need to bring up Blackrock, teams who have boarding will obviously have players outside of their natural catchment area. And no one can defend Rock's tradition of recruiting players from other schools and clubs.

But these days Roscrea are leading the way in recruiting talented rugby players and that's fine it's within the rules and they aren't the only ones doing it but to ignore it and say they are doing an incredible job because it's such a small school is ignoring the undeniable fact that they only reason they won the cup last year and are competing yearly is due to heavy recruitment from clubs in the area, talented connacht rugby players and oddly some lads from Bantry Bay RFC.

Harry Byrne is out for Michaels.. Belvo have to be strong favourites now.

Chris Carey missing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

Not sure why you found the need to bring up Blackrock, teams who have boarding will obviously have players outside of their natural catchment area. And no one can defend Rock's tradition of recruiting players from other schools and clubs.

But these days Roscrea are leading the way in recruiting talented rugby players and that's fine it's within the rules and they aren't the only ones doing it but to ignore it and say they are doing an incredible job because it's such a small school is ignoring the undeniable fact that they only reason they won the cup last year and are competing yearly is due to heavy recruitment from clubs in the area, talented connacht rugby players and oddly some lads from Bantry Bay RFC.

Roscrea's recruitment isn't about poaching the next Billy Dardis or Harris Wright from the competition. They both produce & pull players from the Connacht academy, mostly due to it being the best rugby school in proximity to province. Garbally's closure as a boarding school, has the single most important factor, in CCR recent success.

The boarding element, can also work as disadvantage. The dispersal of past pupils, makes it difficult for the next generation to come through the school, especially when the likes of Blackrock or PBC are next door. Roscrea has missed out on the likes ROG & Leo Cullen, despite their fathers being prominent pastmen.

jony_dols wrote: »
    Roscrea's recruitment isn't about poaching the next Billy Dardis or Harris Wright from the competition. They both produce & pull players from the Connacht academy, mostly due to it being the best rugby school in proximity to province. Garbally's closure as a boarding school, has the single most important factor, in CCR recent success.

The boarding element, can also work as disadvantage. The dispersal of past pupils, makes it difficult for the next generation to come through the school, especially when the likes of Blackrock or PBC are next door. Roscrea has missed out on the likes ROG & Leo Cullen, despite their fathers being prominent pastmen.

Roscrea's recruitment is about winning the cup..and it was successful last year.

Connacht's heavy involvment is a major factor in their success that is true.

• Advertisement

Roscrea's recruitment is about winning the cup..and it was successful last year.

Roscrea plucking players out of relative obscurity and giving them a platform to play is one thing, but undercutting the opposition is another. If they were to pull a Dardis move, I'd be fire & brimstoning their policies

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

First of Ulster senior semis is today. RBAI v Ballymena.
    Predictions?

RBAI won.

Dalriada play Campbell today.

It's all bull about Connacht, excluding an S+C coach who comes in on Saturday evening

Roscrea plucking players out of relative obscurity and giving them a platform to play is one thing, but undercutting the opposition is another. If they were to pull a Dardis move, I'd be fire & brimstoning their policies

they bringing in players who are highly regarded from Munster, Leinster and Connacht clubs.. I know some people would consider that to be worse, undercutting club rugby in the country for Roscrea's personal and reputational gain.

awec wrote: »
    RBAI won.

Dalriada play Campbell today.

RBAI will win it all.

its_phil wrote: »
    It's all bull about Connacht, excluding an S+C coach who comes in on Saturday evening

So they don't have a lot of Connacht players in the school? And all those players just ended up at Roscrea by some sort of coincedence?

Either way Roscrea's success is largely down to talented recruiting players from clubs in Munster, Connacht and Leinster. It's undeniable that this is what they have done.

• Advertisement

Michaels Team:
    1. Ronan Kelleher
    2. Stephen Judge
    3. Sam Griffin
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Oisin Dowling
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Barry Fitzpatrick
    9. Tomas Kileen
    10. Ian O'Kelly
    11. Jeff O'Loughlin
    12. David Ryan
    13. James Hickey
    14. Michael Heaney
    15. Jack Kelly

they bringing in players who are highly regarded from Munster, Leinster and Connacht clubs.. I know some people would consider that to be worse, undercutting club rugby in the country for Roscrea's personal and reputational gain.

The same could be leveled at Dublin schools, any club talent in the city region is targeted & hovered up long before SCT. Roscrea just happens to be later to the game. Luring opposition school talent, however is a different kettle of fish.

The same could be leveled at Dublin schools, any club talent in the city region is targeted & hovered up long before SCT. Roscrea just happens to be later to the game. Luring opposition school talent, however is a different kettle of fish.

Where have I said the dublin schools are innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 marcusfeloni

So they don't have a lot of Connacht players in the school? And all those players just ended up at Roscrea by some sort of coincedence?

Either way Roscrea's success is largely down to talented recruiting players from clubs in Munster, Connacht and Leinster. It's undeniable that this is what they have done.
    Roscrea has traditionally had a large Connacht presence not just among its rugby squad but within its student body also. Makes sense really. Not so far away and for those seeking a broader education its the obvious choice before hitting Dublin's suburbia.

Roscrea has traditionally had a large Connacht presence not just among its rugby squad but within its student body also. Makes sense really. Not so far away and for those seeking a broader education its the obvious choice before hitting Dublin's suburbia.

Roscrea supporters can keep saying this kind of excuse.. but it's a simple fact that are heavily recruiting rugby players into the school. Which is perfctly fine, it's not against the rules and they aren't the only ones doing it. They just happen to be doing it the most and having the most success because of it.

• Advertisement

Clongowes Team:

1. Martin
    2. Sheehan
    3. Carroll
    4. Moore(Captain)
    5. McCarthy
    6. Nulty
    7. McMahon
    8. Jeffares
    9. Murphy
    10. Monaghan
    11. Lemess
    12. O'Shea
    13. O'Connor
    14. Lynch
    15. Silvester

No Sean McCrohan is a big loss. Very unlikely they win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TtomRedCM

Belvedere College team to face St Michaels College
    1. Dan McCaffrey
    2. Cian Galvin
    3. Conor Wynne Walsh
    4. Hugh Fenlon
    5. Brian Egan
    6. Ruadhan Byron
    7. Max Kearney
    8. Senan McNulty

9. Hugh O'Sullivan
    10. David Hawkshaw
    11. Peter Maher
    12. Hugh Sexton
    13. James McKeown
    14. Fergus Flood
    15. Conor Jennings

Subs:
    16. Sam Osbourne
    17. Cillian Molloy
    18. Jake Robinson
    19. James Kenny
    20. Jesse Iredale
    21. Brian Gibbons
    22. Fiachra Smith
    23. Donncha Tynan

Missing De Jongh and Cagney. Belvo still favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Any score in roscrea match?

Any score in roscrea match?

10-0 to Cwc. Roscrea rattled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Pity we won't see belvo and michaels at their strongest. Byrne in particular is a huge blow to michaels, much more so than de jongh and cagney for belvo.

Roscrea ground out a try but CWC peg back with a pen 13-5

HT

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redjk

10-5 CWC. 30 minutes gone.

Clongowes looking lively:
    Delayed (just) video clips from Setanta here
    https://twitter.com/SetantaSports/with_replies?lang=en

Try and Conversion Roscrea: 12-13 Clongowes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Roscrea try 12-13, close game this

Try Clongowes. Missed conversion.

18-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Roscrea try 12-13, close game this

Thanks. Keep us updated.

It would be great if you could tell us the time gone or to go.

I think Roscrea's loosehead is a 4th year, he has special potential.. recruited from Birr RFC last season after being spotted playing Shane Horgan Cup.

Try Roscrea. Missed conversion

17-18 to Clongowes

58 minutes

CWC another try.
    That new pitch is really serving up some great play this year from all teams.

Try Roscrea and conversion. Rolling maul off a lineout (after a super kick from full back Tynan)

24-18

60 minutes

Roscrea all about the power in the forwards.. Clongowes can't live with it and maybe no team will be able to.

Roscrea all about the power in the forwards.. Clongowes can't live with it and maybe no team will be able to.

The offloading ability of the forwards nothing to do with it?

• Advertisement

66 minutes and raining so making it very slippy

Advertisement