Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevie777

themont85 wrote: »
    Clongowes aren't a Dublin school. They do seem to have some scholarships but by and large their teams are bred in the school.

I don't think Clongowes provide any scholarships. Can you think of any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

Stevie777 wrote: »
    I don't think Clongowes provide any scholarships. Can you think of any examples?

Fergal Cleary a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

"The boarding element, can also work as disadvantage. The dispersal of past pupils, makes it difficult for the next generation to come through the school, especially when the likes of Blackrock or PBC are next door. Roscrea has missed out on the likes ROG & Leo Cullen, despite their fathers being prominent pastmen."

You will recall that James Ryan and Jack Dwan (both IRL U20) were recent cup contemporaries as second row for Michael's and Rock just a couple of years ago.

Would have made a strong Roscrea second row pairing...

Their fathers were both Roscrea men but as the poster rightly sez above many parents today opt for Dublin schools instead of sending the lads down the Naas road to boarding school. And fair enough, but it is a valid point. No doubt this affects ALL schools and we can flag plenty of specific cases but boarding schools are always going to struggle nowadays. And must get round it as best they can.

CCR advertise exceptional verifiable LCert scores as well as the rugby by the way - and schools across the city/province have plenty of feathers to their bows which obvioulsy don't get much airing here on the rugby forum. Our perspective here probably hampers our perception as with most things. Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

mistdub wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but did the big skerries wing Paul O'Connor not transfer to Michael's 6th year in 2014. The same year group lost David oconnor and conor Oliver to blackrock afaik

went to Michaels alright.. don't even think he started every game and certainly wasn't on scholarship.. maybe he was recruited by them but hardly a similar situation to Roscrea.

But again as I said previously no dublin school is innocent, it's just only blackrock are in a vaguely similar situation when it comes to the amount of recruitment they are doing.

Roscrea in recent times have been and are fairly desperate to get numbers of students in the school up - there was talk of it having to close down the line unless things change.

Rugby success does provide a lot of publicity for sure.

glasso wrote: »
    Roscrea in recent times have been and are fairly desperate to get numbers of students in the school up - there was talk of it having to close down the line unless things change.

Rugby success does provide a lot of publicity for sure.

And Connacht rugby have an vested interest in keeping it open and producing connacht academy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SLEVIN6

sfbdqc wrote: »
    went to Michaels alright.. don't even think he started every game and certainly wasn't on scholarship.. maybe he was recruited by them but hardly a similar situation to Roscrea.

But again as I said previously no dublin school is innocent, it's just only blackrock are in a vaguely similar situation when it comes to the amount of recruitment they are doing.

Basically they are all at it to some degree, always were, in Dublin and down the country.
    Like every Gaa, Soccer, Basketball, and tiddly winks club in the country.They always try to get the best players if possible.
    Many GAA clubs are masters of this tactic. Dublin clubs in particular.
    Lots of country Gaa clubs are losing top players, being given jobs etc. to go to Dublin.
    People should grow up a bit on this topic.
    It was there long before Roscrea began to win, It only became a problem when the green eyed monsters got upset.

How about admiring the talent and the commitment of these fine young players that give their all to this game and give us some wonderful rugby right through the league and cup.

Better this post talks rugby than trying to put down teams they do not like, who through heuge effort and with a small pool of players get some recognition for their efforts.

They have a small pool of elite players that they have recruited, more so than any other school this year or last year. This is undeniable, I don't bregrudge them but calling them underdogs and trying to spin there success as some sort of miracle of coaching and development is false, they are of course well coached. But they have for a large part brought in very talented underage players especially in the forwards and used these players to be successful.

And I'm sure if you search boards you will see people complaining when Blackrock did it, or when Terenure did it.
    Get the chip of your shoulders it has nothing to do with who you are, it has everything to do with what you are doing.
    I'd rather celebrate the schools who don't recruit players and work with what is in the school and develop players from a young age all the way up ala Michaels or Belvo this year. They put in as much if not more effort in developing 1st years in potential cup winners than Roscrea do when they bring in club players for 5th year ala Aaron Browne, Keith Kavanagh, Fineen Whycherly & Dylan Murphy. And god knows who else.

But as i said before Roscrea are playing by the rules, just like when Blackrock did it to gain success and others down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

SLEVIN6 wrote: »
    Basically they are all at it to some degree, always were, in Dublin and down the country.
    Like every Gaa, Soccer, Basketball, and tiddly winks club in the country.They always try to get the best players if possible.
    Many GAA clubs are masters of this tactic. Dublin clubs in particular.
    Lots of country Gaa clubs are losing top players, being given jobs etc. to go to Dublin.
    People should grow up a bit on this topic.
    It was there long before Roscrea began to win, It only became a problem when the green eyed monsters got upset.

How about admiring the talent and the commitment of these fine young players that give their all to this game and give us some wonderful rugby right through the league and cup.

Better this post talks rugby than trying to put down teams they do not like, who through heuge effort and with a small pool of players get some recognition for their efforts.

So other schools and schools players don't put their hearts in? The ones who bring players through from 13 years old to sixth year?

Plenty of schools could engage in the practice but choose not to as it's a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

mistdub wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but did the big skerries wing Paul O'Connor not transfer to Michael's 6th year in 2014. The same year group lost David oconnor and conor Oliver to blackrock afaik

He moved in 4th/5th year I believe. Definitely not 6th anyway. And didn't make the SCT.

Edit: He did, but was behind Oisin O Meara and Jack Kelly asfaik. I don't think he was recruited, certainly didn't get a full scholarship anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Think he would have started of not for injury trouble but I recognise it was a fairly isolated incident. Michael's probably have the strongest record of producing quality homegrown players in the last 5 years. Just need to look at Leinsters team from last weekend to see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

No Dublin school is innocent?

You might point out who Gonzaga, Andrews, Marys, CBC and the likes have brought in? All were on the same level as Roscrea until recently.

There's always going to be people looking to move schools so I don't think guilt should be just thrown at schools because one or two people moved school once upon a time. It's quite clear though as you say, who engages in a deliberate policy of bringing players in at older year groups.

themont85 wrote: »
    No Dublin school is innocent?

You might point out who Gonzaga, Andrews, Marys, CBC and the likes have brought in? All were on the same level as Roscrea until recently.

There's always going to be people looking to move schools so I don't think guilt should be just thrown at schools because one or two people moved school once upon a time. It's quite clear though as you say, who engages in a deliberate policy of bringing players in at older year groups.

True some dublin schools are innocent & others aren't.

They have a small pool of elite players that they have recruited, more so than any other school this year or last year. This is undeniable, I don't bregrudge them but calling them underdogs and trying to spin there success as some sort of miracle of coaching and development is false, they are of course well coached. But they have for a large part brought in very talented underage players especially in the forwards and used these players to be successful.

And I'm sure if you search boards you will see people complaining when Blackrock did it, or when Terenure did it.
    Get the chip of your shoulders it has nothing to do with who you are, it has everything to do with what you are doing.
    I'd rather celebrate the schools who don't recruit players and work with what is in the school and develop players from a young age all the way up ala Michaels or Belvo this year. They put in as much if not more effort in developing 1st years in potential cup winners than Roscrea do when they bring in club players for 5th year ala Aaron Browne, Keith Kavanagh, Fineen Whycherly & Dylan Murphy. And god knows who else.

But as i said before Roscrea are playing by the rules, just like when Blackrock did it to gain success and others down the years.

Despite rumors to the contrary Roscrea are not short of students. They have full capacity, and do not intend to increase numbers.
    Due to the cost of fees for this and many other fee paying schools many parents now send their kids in 5th & 6th year only for leaving cert. This happens in every fee paying and grind school in the country.
    The fact that some of these kids play rugby and continue to do so there is not unusual.
    Some may be influenced to go there rather than other schools because of Roscrea's recent success. They still have to pay their fees.

What is the problem with ex Roscrea players playing with Connacht ?
    Roscrea is within about 20 mins drive of both the Connacht and Munster border.
    They have for the past 100 years had over 40% of their pupils come from Connacht, being the only boarding school in the area. Where should they play when they return to Connacht ?. Leinster? , that would cause more moaning !
    There are some also who return to Munster after Roscrea. I suppose that is a problem also.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Was at the semi final yesterday.

The Clongowes pack wasn't small but they were still beaten up by the Roscrea pack.

Do Michael's and Belvo have huge packs? If they don't, they're toast. The Roscrea pack walked over the line with some of those mauls yesterday and, as I say, there were some big units in that Clongowes pack.

One thing that struck me yesterday is how well coached both sides are. The clearing out of rucks was superb. Much more planning goes into each phase than in my day.

• Advertisement

It's just a happy coincedence that elite underage club players all join Roscrea in the same year, some from Birr, some from Bantry, some from Portlaoise and some from Connacht.

Imagine.

No problem with players from Roscrea playing for their home province, it's where they are from and where they've been recruited from.

Was at the semi final yesterday.

The Clongowes pack wasn't small but they were still beaten up by the Roscrea pack.

Do Michael's and Belvo have huge packs? If they don't, they're toast. The Roscrea pack walked over the line with some of those mauls yesterday and, as I say, there were some big units in that Clongowes pack.

One thing that struck me yesterday is how well coached both sides are. The clearing out of rucks was superb. Much more planning goes into each phase than in my day.

Neither have packs as big as Roscrea, Michaels would have the bigger pack when compared to belvo though.

Roscrea's tight 5:

1. Michael Milne(future Leinster u18 unless Connacht poach him) - joined Roscrea last year from Birr RFC.
    2. Eoghan Maher(Connacht u19) - joined Roscrea last year from Monevia RFC.
    3. Dylan Murphy( Munster u19) - joined Roscrea last year from Bantry Bay RFC.
    4. Aaron Browne(Leinster u18) - joined Roscrea last year from Birr RFC.
    5. Fineen Wycherly(Munster u19) - joined Roscrea last year from Bantry Bay RFC.

Fairly sure their number 6, Diffley was recrutied from Creggs RFC, Kavanagh their 9 from Portlaoise RFC, Rory Gaffney from Galway, Hastings from Castlebar.

It's just a happy coincedence that elite underage club players all join Roscrea in the same year, some from Birr, some from Bantry, some from Portlaoise and some from Connacht.

Imagine.

No problem with players from Roscrea playing for their home province, it's where they are from and where they've been recruited from.

For Roscrea, Birr and Portlaoise (actually Killenard, if you are referring to Kavanagh) are about as local as you can get.
    Where should they have come from ? D4 ?

For Roscrea, Birr and Portlaoise (actually Killenard, if you are referring to Kavanagh) are about as local as you can get.
    Where should they have come from ? D4 ?

they are recruiting from local clubs aswell as clubs in connacht and munster was my point.

and they were all very highly regarded rugby players when they all happened to join roscrea at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

Wouldn't shock me to see St. Michael's do the double. Going along strong at SCT & JCT and are a school that thrives when they are considered underdogs. Was told at the start of the year that Michael's were awful on both fronts but obviously have turned it around.

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Wouldn't shock me to see St. Michael's do the double. Going along strong at SCT & JCT and are a school that thrives when they are considered underdogs. Was told at the start of the year that Michael's were awful on both fronts but obviously have turned it around.

change in coaches seems to have worked wonders.. playing a much better brand of rugby now. JCT pack is pretty small to win the cup though, especially compared to Rock. SCT will struggle without Harry Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Someone told me Roscrea don't even haven't a seconds team - what they have achieved has been astounding , but there is a but ... is every pupil at Roscrea super at rugby , they are now consistently producing quality teams with numbers of only 30 or so per year - its only fair questions are asked - why for instance are bigger schools like Pres or Monkstown so poor at rugby in comparison, its not all down to coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

"Michaels- I don't think a player from another school has moved there since 2007. They do things the proper way. They've a top tier rugby programme producing players who went all the way through the school. Added to that and most importantly, they encourage rugby at all levels and field lots of teams."

Not sure about the encouraging rugby at all levels. No TY team, don't seem to worry about anything other than getting a good cup side out.

Roscrea's JCT side from 2014:
    Roscrea: Alan Murphy; R Enraght-Mooney, B Hyland, J Culleton, E Browne; C Kelly, F Crowley; J O'Cinneide-Pender, E Moore, D Keating; T Byrne (capt), D Power; Aaron Murphy, E McMahon, D Ward.

How many were playing for Roscrea yesterday? 3?
    B Hyland off the bench.
    C Kelly at fullback.
    Aaron Murphy at lock.

Can't find a teamsheet for their 2013 side(this years 6th years)

thebaz wrote: »
    Someone told me Roscrea don't even haven't a seconds team - what they have achieved has been astounding , but there is a but ... is every pupil at Roscrea super at rugby , they are now consistently producing quality teams with numbers of only 30 or so per year - its only fair questions are asked - why for instance are bigger schools like Pres or Monkstown so poor at rugby in comparison, its not all down to coaching.

Yes Roscrea have a seconds team.
    The advantage they have is they are 7 day boarding and thus train every day not like day schools that can't get players to attend at weekends.
    They have an excellent coaching team for the past number of years and have built up a strong ethos and commitment to the game.
    They have been knocking on the door for the past number of years as results in the league and cup will show.
    Their junior teams are also improving which bodes well for the future.
    That being said every school has a few good years & then they have to regroup.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    "Michaels- I don't think a player from another school has moved there since 2007. They do things the proper way. They've a top tier rugby programme producing players who went all the way through the school. Added to that and most importantly, they encourage rugby at all levels and field lots of teams."

Not sure about the encouraging rugby at all levels. No TY team, don't seem to worry about anything other than getting a good cup side out.

They're probably the best at encouraging all levels in Leinster. 4 teams in first year this season, they had 5 last season. The only team with more at first year is Blackrock asfaik, which is surprising considering the superior numbers at Belvo and Terenure. When I played Belvo and Terenure both had 4 teams but I have family in 1st year Michaels now and both have 3. Clongowes apparently only have 2. 5 senior teams including a social team. There just isn't the numbers for a 4th year team as people with ambition for the SCT want to be playing at least thirds and there will always be a drop off in 5th year because of the leaving so 4th years have to fill those spots.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fairly sure their number 6, Diffley was recrutied from Creggs RFC, Kavanagh their 9 from Portlaoise RFC, Rory Gaffney from Galway, Hastings from Castlebar.

Portarlington RFC actually

and the likes of portarlington and portlaoise would have a long standing connection with CCR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Portarlington RFC actually

and the likes of portarlington and portlaoise would have a long standing connection with CCR

my mistake

Yes Roscrea have a seconds team.
    The advantage they have is they are 7 day boarding and thus train every day not like day schools that can't get players to attend at weekends.
    They have an excellent coaching team for the past number of years and have built up a strong ethos and commitment to the game.
    They have been knocking on the door for the past number of years as results in the league and cup will show.
    Their junior teams are also improving which bodes well for the future.
    That being said every school has a few good years & then they have to regroup.

apart from when Roscrea had a poor cup in 2014, then that summer they brought in several elite underage players from across the country.. suppose that's called regrouping.

• Advertisement

Fr. Godrey Cup kicking off soon - Gorey vs Dundalk.
    Vinnie Murray on at 3pm - Wesley vs Castleknock

So final of senior cups looking like this:

RBAI vs Campbell
    CBC Cork vs Crescent
    Roscrea vs Belvo/Michaels
    Connacht?

apart from when Roscrea had a poor cup in 2014, then that summer they brought in several elite underage players from across the country.. suppose that's called regrouping.

I suppose reaching the final in 2011 does not count.
    Who did they import then?.
    Some from the local clubs again I suppose.

We will have to differ on this matter as it is getting boring i'm sure for other posters.

I suppose reaching the final in 2011 does not count.
    Who did they import then?.
    Some from the local clubs again I suppose.

We will have to differ on this matter as it is getting boring i'm sure for other posters.

Some players who have joined Roscrea recently:
    Dylan Murphy - Bantry Bay RFC
    Fineen Wycherly - Bantry Bay RFC
    Phillip O'Shea - Bantry Bay RFC
    Keith Kavanagh - Portarlington RFC
    Michael Milne - Birr RFC
    Aaron Browne - Birr RFC
    Brian Diffley - Connacht(Creggs)
    Jack Canning - Connacht(Ballinasloe)
    Rory Gaffney - Connacht(Galwegains)
    Daniel Keane - Connacht(Ballinrobe)
    Joe Murphy - Connacht(Ballina)
    Eoghan Maher - Connacht(Monevia)
    Sam Hastings - Connacht(Castlebar)
    Jack Culligan - Munster(UL Bohs)

Must be a coincedence they were all very good underage rugby players before they all decided to join Roscrea, most of them in the summer of 2014. That list may be incomplete to.

Again i listed their 2014 JCT side, who would be 5th years now.. only 3 players played yesterday from that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unclemike

This will be my one and only boards post as I just joined to the thread to reply to some of the scurrilous remarks being made on here in regards to "Roscrea's recruitment policy" of players from Connacht and Munster clubs.

One poster who I assume isn't doing much with his life seeing as he is able to post ever 5 minutes has insinuated continuously that Roscrea are "tapping" kids from clubs and bringing them in for 5th/6th year - even going as far as to suggest scholarships.

I was made aware of this thread by a colleague of mine as my nephews name was referenced in it (he was one of the tight 5 that played for Roscrea yesterday), so I decided to take some time out of my schedule to inform the mis-informed that my nephew, his previous school, his previous club etc - were not approached by anyone from or representing CC Roscrea, Connacht RFU or Munster RFU. His Parents pay every cent of the costly fee themselves.

Like many young men they aspire to role models like ROG/BOD etc and if they are lucky enough to possess good sporting skills and good academic skills and financially are in a position to afford said college fees, then they feel moving to Roscrea for a number of years will help them compete at sport, have a better chance of attending 3rd level college - some parents can only afford the cost of 2 years of college fees, and may have even had to borrow.

So for the uneducated - keep the thread about rugby, be thankful that the competition is broader than in my years, be thankful that a competitive Connacht system is good for all concerned, be thankful that in a few years the big guys from Roscrea might be able to pair up with the guile and speed of Belvedere/B-Rock/Clongowes etc and form a good U20 world cup team - filled with size and speed.

Some players who have joined Roscrea recently:
    Dylan Murphy - Bantry Bay RFC
    Fineen Wycherly - Bantry Bay RFC
    Phillip O'Shea - Bantry Bay RFC
    Keith Kavanagh - Portarlington RFC
    Michael Milne - Birr RFC
    Aaron Browne - Birr RFC
    Brian Diffley - Connacht(Creggs)
    Jack Canning - Connacht(Ballinasloe)
    Rory Gaffney - Connacht(Galwegains)
    Daniel Keane - Connacht(Ballinrobe)
    Joe Murphy - Connacht(Ballina)
    Eoghan Maher - Connacht(Monevia)
    Sam Hastings - Connacht(Castlebar)
    Jack Culligan - Munster(UL Bohs)

Must be a coincedence they were all very good underage rugby players before they all decided to join Roscrea, most of them in the summer of 2014. That list may be incompelte to.

Again i listed their 2014 JCT side, who would be 5th years now.. only 3 players played yesterday from that side.

A 40 seater bus brings students home to Westport/ Castlebar/ Ballina every break and has done for the past 50 years.
    Strange, some of them play rugby before the come to a rugby playing school.
    Some don't play rugby also. Very strange !

A 40 seater bus brings students home to Westport/ Castlebar/ Ballina every break and has done for the past 50 years.
    Strange, some of them play rugby before the come to a rugby playing school.
    Some don't play rugby also. Very strange !

it's all just a big coincedence then I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Unclemike wrote: »
    His Parents pay every cent of the costly fee themselves.

Like many young men they aspire to role models like ROG/BOD etc and if they are lucky enough to possess good sporting skills and good academic skills and financially are in a position to afford said college fees, then they feel moving to Roscrea for a number of years will help them compete at sport, have a better chance of attending 3rd level college - some parents can only afford the cost of 2 years of college fees, and may have even had to borrow.

This 100 times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

it's all just a big coincedence then I guess.

That parents send their son to a better school, with a huge traditional connection to Mayo and Galway, for the most important years of his academic life?

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    That parents send their son to a better school, with a huge traditional connection to Mayo and Galway, for the most important years of his academic life?

No that so many very good underage rugby players from across the country have joined Roscrea in the past two years, most of them joining in the summer after Roscrea had their worst performance in the cup in a few years.

But hey look if you want me to believe it's a coincedence, i'll believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Roscrea's JCT side from 2014:
    Roscrea: Alan Murphy; R Enraght-Mooney, B Hyland, J Culleton, E Browne; C Kelly, F Crowley; J O'Cinneide-Pender, E Moore, D Keating; T Byrne (capt), D Power; Aaron Murphy, E McMahon, D Ward.

How many were playing for Roscrea yesterday? 3?
    B Hyland off the bench.
    C Kelly at fullback.
    Aaron Murphy at lock.

Can't find a teamsheet for their 2013 side(this years 6th years)

That's not unheard of to be honest. Lots of times senior teams only have a few fifth years on it.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    That's not unheard of to be honest. Lots of times senior teams only have a few fifth years on it.

Of Roscrea's starting team yesterday I believe 4 players played Junior cup rugby for the school. The other 11 all joined Roscrea for the senior cycle and all 11 were involved in provincial underage squads either in Connacht, Munster or Leinster. But look it's just a coincedence that it happened that way.

I don't know anyone who isn't over 30 who went to roscrea so I can't comment on their situation regarding handing out scholarships or recruiting. Though I will say I am of the opinion that it's good for the sport if elite players are getting a chance at 7 day rugby coaching from great coaches. As long as they're not being poached from other rugby schools I see no problem with it.

However I do know people personally who received full or half scholarships to Blackrock. I'm not going to name them obviously, but if Blackrock are doing it then I don't see why Roscrea couldn't be doing it either.

I know personally of an underage leinster club player who was offered scholarships by two schools, both boarding schools.

Peter Dooley also spoke about being invited to join Roscrea:
    He was invited on a couple of occasions to swap St Brendan’s Community school in Birr for Cistercian College, Roscrea, on a couple of occasions and thought about it strongly. “After fifth year was probably the time I nearly went. I visited it [Roscrea] and for whatever reason, I didn’t fancy it. It just wasn’t for me.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/peter-dooley-gains-momentum-as-journey-begins-with-leinster-1.2484820

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Of Roscrea's starting team yesterday I believe 4 players played Junior cup rugby for the school. The other 11 all joined Roscrea for the senior cycle and all 11 were involved in provincial underage squads either in Connacht, Munster or Leinster. But look it's just a coincedence that it happened that way.

I will bow to your superior investigating skills Columbo!;)
    I don't know anyone who isn't over 30 who went to roscrea so I can't comment on their situation regarding handing out scholarships or recruiting. Though I will say I am of the opinion that it's good for the sport if elite players are getting a chance at 7 day rugby coaching from great coaches. As long as they're not being poached from other rugby schools I see no problem with it.

However I do know people personally who received full or half scholarships to Blackrock. I'm not going to name them obviously, but if Blackrock are doing it then I don't see why Roscrea couldn't be doing it either.

Blackrock have been poaching players for at least the past 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Can we not just admire the skill and tenacity of two good teams yesterday. This talk of "recruitment(who came up with that)" is boring as fcuk and as the guy's uncle said is complete bs!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unclemike

To finish my point:

Plenty of parents across Ireland (a very small country) now know thru the likes of other media source that Roscrea were open to taking in young men in 4th/5th year as the halls/dorms were empty due to the economic dip.

Two points:
    1. Roscrea are current Hurling Champions, Rugby Champs and 2nd highest feeder college to 3rd level so compliments to the new governance/sporting director who have achieved same.

2. As mentioned previously Roscrea doesn't have infinite capacity, the recent change in economic conditions and sporting fortunes mean that more parents will take the punt and put their child in for first year (if they can afford it).

I have read back through this thread and enjoyed it up to the point that one poster turned this into a "tapping" scandal. Lets talk rugby guys !!

Honestly I think anyone who denies recruitment happens is fooling themselves because it undoubtedly does. Whether or not it is ethical is a different matter entirely

I'll drop it, it's a coincedence that it happened to all occur how it did.

Dundalk beating Gorey at the moment in Donnybrook. Gorey have a special player in the centre, scored a wonder try from half way.

I'll drop it, it's a coincedence that it happened to all occur how it did.

Dundalk beating Gorey at the moment in Donnybrook. Gorey have a special player in the centre, scored a wonder try from half way.

I think you're correct in that recruitment definitely did happen (perhaps not to he degree you're suggesting) maybe some students decided to go on their own accord which is fine, but some definitely were approached by the school

• Advertisement
Advertisement