Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The handicap will be interesting for the final, that's for sure.

Belvo at 6-1 in January was too good a price and I lumped on it.

Will lay it off on a Roscrea win in ten final.
    I expect Roscrea to be at 5/2 and Belvo at 4/7 with the handicap being -8 at 10/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

For all the talent Michael produce, they really should have more than one cup to show for it since the start of the decade.

They've only been favourites at the start of the season once since 2007 and that was last season (20014/15). And there is no question they should have won that year, but for poor coaching. It's easy to look at players in the academy and say they should have more cups but two or three stars isn't enough for a team. Often times they've just been beaten by a better team.

2008 Michaels had a poor team, don't think there was any representatives from that year. Lost to CBC, who lost to Mary's who lost to Belvo, I think.

2009 Andrew Conway's Blackrock team dominated the competition with one of the best schools team ever

2010 Clongowes-Michaels final. Clongowes deserved winners. I suppose you could argue Michaels could have won.

2011 Clongowes win tournament in dominant fashion. Beat Roscrea in final 46-15

2012 Michaels win

2013 Michaels have very strong team, however Terenure were favourites going into tournament. Michaels lose to a strong Blackrock squad with Ringrose and Charlie Rock, both academy players now. There may have been more academy players from 5th year, not sure.

2014 Blackrock win tournament fairly easily. This is the tournament they had all their recruited players.

2015 Michaels should have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Couldnt think of one

I must say if St Michael's backs were better coached, i.e. draw the man and make more space for fullback (good strong player), wings or even wing forwards (7 good player) to run into they could have caused Belvo a lot more head aches. Having said that Belvo's defence was excellent (played right on the edge, though maybe sometimes offside) it always looked like they had an extra man out wide and when in possession it always looked like they were going to break the line (which St Michael's didn't). You have to hand it to St Michael's they never give up but I suppose that's what makes the cup so good. Belvo are the team I fancied from the start and managed to get them at 6/1 even though I'm a Roscrea past student, it's a bet I won't mind losing! For the final I think it's a question of who can score the most, Belvo's backs or Roscrea's forwards?? can't wait to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭albacrypts

looking at last 10 years including this Blackrock still no 1 with 3 cups followed by CWC with 2 cups and 3 losses then Michaels 2win+2loss. Final this year will decide order of next 2 best teams namely Belvo and CCR winner will be 2+1 and loser 1+2. These are now the undesputed big 5, the big 6 is no more. Terenure and St Marys should swallow their pride and drop down to league as only 1 losing final each last 10 years.

If CCR win again can they be forced out of league and into automatic qualifiers like current big 6

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

"2013 Michaels have very strong team, however Terenure were favourites going into tournament. Michaels lose to a strong Blackrock squad with Ringrose and Charlie Rock, both academy players now. There may have been more academy players from 5th year, not sure."

I'm probably being a bit harsh on them.

I'm basing my statement on the 2015 team not nearly living up to their billing and the 2013 team failing to win the final.

While they weren't the favourites in 2013 they probably should have won the final on the basis that most of Rock's best players were in 5th year while they had the likes of McCarthy, Byrne, Kelleher, Molony, Murphy and Coulson all in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

albacrypts wrote: »
    If CCR win again can they be forced out of league and into automatic qualifiers like current big 6

Why? Newbridge and Kilkenny have had excellent sides in the past few years and the league is very competitive.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I fear for Belvedere in the final. The weather on the day will be a massive factor. If it's dry I'd fancy them. But otherwise....

Hard to disagree here, but I think their backs are slick enough to play ball in tough conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

its_phil wrote: »
    Why? Newbridge and Kilkenny have had excellent sides in the past few years and the league is very competitive.

in fairness Marys should replace Roscrea , if it is a competition for mid schools - don't like the term big 6 or whatever , but Roscrea are certainly now in leinster top 6 - Marys on par with Newbridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭albacrypts

I am just wondering what basis is for being excluded from League and having an automatic right to play in Cup proper. Why should Terenure \ St Marys have a right to be in cup proper and Kilkenny \ Newbridge not. If CCR win cup twice in a row why would they not be treated same as big six i.e. excluded from league \ automatic place in cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Terenure and St Marys should swallow their pride and drop down to league as only 1 losing final each last 10 years.

Terenure got a new coaching team this year taking them from the club, who in my opinion have been one of the most exciting teams in the AIL the past 3/4 years bar this year this year, combined with them having a very similar if not identical pitch to Donnybrook to train on could be a big factor in the next few years. Also pretty sure a large part of this years squad were in 4th and 5th year so could still be up there for next year or two at least. They also seem to be moving towards a more exciting game like Belvo this year which should be encouraged.
    Marys though I feel for. They did well pre cup but didn't seem up to much against terenure so no idea what happened there.

If I were to change anything I'd swap Marys for Roscrea but youd want Roscrea to have more than 2 good years before that.

thebaz wrote: »
    its_phil wrote: »

in fairness Marys should replace Roscrea , if it is a competition for mid schools - don't like the term big 6 or whatever , but Roscrea are certainly now in leinster top 6 - Marys on par with Newbridge now.

But Roscrea aren't beating teams out the gate in the leagueor even dominating it. They lost the league last year to a really good Newbridge side and only beat Kilkenny by 3 points twice. Newbridge are Roscreas biggest traditional rival, no one else.

I'd hate to see Roscrea move out of the league and I'm sure the school would too, it's a great competition providing competitive rugby all year round and I'm sure a couple members from the original big 6 join rather than league members leave.

Roscrea will have rough years in the future too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I am just wondering what basis is for being excluded from League and having an automatic right to play in Cup proper. Why should Terenure\St Marys have a right to be in cup proper and Kilkenny\Newbridge not. If CCR win cup twice in a row why would they not be treated same as big six i.e. excluded from league\automatic place in cup
    There is nothing anywhere in regs that states why these sides have a right to be in the cup and not play in the league. If Roscrea were to win cup again I don't see them being excluded from the league and don't see them electing to not compete in the league.
    Hopefully in time some/all the "big6" do enter the league as it would be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Was anyone at both semis?

If so, can you predict the final?

Let's presume it'll rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭sfbdqc

If the weather is bad, Roscrea's pack has to be favoured to maul their way over.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

sfbdqc wrote: »
    If the weather is bad, Roscrea's pack has to be favoured to maul their way over.

Brian Egan captain Belvo should have his speech ready . Belvo are the real deal. Slick in the backs and powerful enough up front to withstand anything. If Roscrea play like they did in first halves v Zaga and Clongowes it will be over by half time.

• Advertisement

Not saying Belvo have a powderpuff pack but they may struggle to defend Roscrea's maul, they surely did against Rock.
    If the weather is awful, then Belvo may struggle to be as effective in the backs.
    Hope I'm wrong cause this Belvo team deserves the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Belvo's final to loose would have them as 5 point favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

thebaz wrote: »

Probably being unfair to Newbridge with that call, they have been far better than Marys for a number of years now at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Probably being unfair to Newbridge with that call, they have been far better than Marys for a number of years now at senior level

I would agree with that. Newbridge are consistent for the last few years, on a par or just better than Mary's

Both of St. Michaels locks yesterday were very impressive, Dunne was a workhorse for carrying the ball while Baird often acted as 1st reciever and showed some lovely hands. Both are back next year and should be even bigger.

Apparently Harry Byrne is still just 16 so he is certainly a player to watch. Probably more impressive than his brother at that age.

• Advertisement

Both of St. Michaels locks yesterday were very impressive, Dunne was a workhorse for carrying the ball while Baird often acted as 1st reciever and showed some lovely hands. Both are back next year and should be even bigger.

Apparently Harry Byrne is still just 16 so he is certainly a player to watch. Probably more impressive than his brother at that age.

Was at the game yesterday and very very disappointed with the ignorance of the Belvo jeering for Harry Byrne's placed kick just on half time. A nit of the North side edge coming thru. Not a nice thing to be associated with the game.

Presume it was just past pupils who couldn't handle their booze.

Lads acting the maggot wouldn't be something that the north side has the monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

rughug wrote: »
    Was at the game yesterday and very very disappointed with the ignorance of the Belvo jeering for Harry Byrne's placed kick just on half time. A nit of the North side edge coming thru. Not a nice thing to be associated with the game.

The irony.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Brian Egan captain Belvo should have his speech ready . Belvo are the real deal. Slick in the backs and powerful enough up front to withstand anything. If Roscrea play like they did in first halves v Zaga and Clongowes it will be over by half time.

You haven't been great at the predictions so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious but how are the academy and sub-academy places determined? Is it essentially down to performances in the senior cup and what exactly is the difference between the two in terms of the development process?

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious but how are the academy and sub-academy places determined? Is it essentially down to performances in the senior cup and what exactly is the difference between the two in terms of the development process?

Performance in junior cup - Leinster underage trials at u17
    Performance in senior cup - Leinster underage trials either u17, u18, u19 or u20.
    Performance in underage camps and games -> sub-academy if out of school
    Performance in sub academy, u20 games & club games -> academy.

Very rare to see a player go straight from school to the academy, Conor Nash might do that due to the AFL recruiting him.

sub-academy is the level below the academy, most players gwho get into the full academy go through the sub-academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Like sfbdqc says. Performance in junior schools cup/shane horgan cup then progression to leinster teams at 17s/18s(clubs&schools)/19s/20s

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Performance in junior cup - Leinster underage trials at u17
    Performance in senior cup - Leinster underage trials either u17, u18, u19 or u20.
    Performance in underage camps and games -> sub-academy if out of school
    Performance in sub academy, u20 games & club games -> academy.

Very rare to see a player go straight from school to the academy, Conor Nash might do that due to the AFL recruiting him.

sub-academy is the level below the academy, most players gwho get into the full academy go through the sub-academy.

Ah okay thanks, who are the likely candidates to get into the sub academy and academy this year so?

Ah okay thanks, who are the likely candidates to get into the sub academy and academy this year so?

some of the likely sub-academy next season leaving school this year:
    Ronan Kelleher(Michaels/Hooker)
    Aaron Browne(Roscrea/Lock)
    Oisin Dowling(Michaels/Lock)
    Caelan Doris(Blackrock/Backrow)
    Tom De Jongh(Belvedere/Backrow)
    Conor Dean(Blackrock/Outhalf)
    Ciaran Frawley(Skerries/Outhalf)
    Jack Kelly(Michaels/Centre/Fullback)
    Jordan Larmour(Michaels/wing)

This will be clearer once the u20 interpros are over.

Possible new academy class:
    Andrew Porter(Loosehead Prop)
    James Ryan(Lock)
    Max Deegan(Backrow)
    Will Connors(Backrow)
    Conor O'Brien(Centre)
    Jimmy O'Brien(Centre)
    Conor Nash(Fullback/Wing)
    Jack Power(Fullback)
    Hugo Keenan(Wing)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DV3

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Belvo's final to loose would have them as 5 point favourites

Same was said last year and they were deservedly beaten. Would be foolish to try and call this one.

• Advertisement

A nit of the Northside? That's ridiculously pretentious, been attending schools games for upwards of 10 years, rarely a season goes by that some past pupils don't overstep the boundaries, Southsiders included. Only ignorance is in thinking that Belvedere hold a monopoly over it.

Agreed, was particularly impressed with Dunne, made ground with practically every carry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mistdub

Might want to change your password mate, seems Ross O'Carroll Kelly has hacked your account!

some of the likely sub-academy next season leaving school this year:
    Ronan Kelleher(Michaels/Hooker)
    Aaron Browne(Roscrea/Lock)
    Oisin Dowling(Michaels/Lock)
    Caelan Doris(Blackrock/Backrow)
    Tom De Jongh(Belvedere/Backrow)
    Conor Dean(Blackrock/Outhalf)
    Ciaran Frawley(Skerries/Outhalf)
    Jack Kelly(Michaels/Centre/Fullback)
    Jordan Larmour(Michaels/wing)

Larmour is in Andrew's not Michaels. Also he plays hockey and has represented Ireland in it so that may influence if he gets into the sub academy depending on what sport he decides to focus on he may feel he could get further in hockey.
    If Ciaran Frawley doesn't get in somethings wrong he is a quality out half. You don't play AIL in sixth year unless there's something about you.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Larmour is in Andrew's not Michaels. Also he plays hockey and has represented Ireland in it so that may influence if he gets into the sub academy depending on what sport he decides to focus on he may feel he could get further in hockey.
    If Ciaran Frawley doesn't get in somethings wrong he is a quality out half. You don't play AIL in sixth year unless there's something about you.[/quote

With all due respect , playing Div 2A with Skerries as a 19 year old 6th year is hardly earth shattering and no justification for saying that a player is Sub Academy standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Who would you put in a team of the tournament?

A few players that have stuck out for me are:
    Jack Kelly - Fullback (St Michaels)
    Caelan Doris - No 8 (Blackrock)
    David Hawkshaw - Outhalf (Belvedere)
    Michael Milne - Loosehead Prop (Roscrea)
    Sam Dardis - Fullback (Terenure)
    Gavin Mullin - Centre (Blackrock)
    Jack Dunne - Second Row (St Michaels)
    Max Kearney - Flanker (Belvedere)
    Conor Jennings - Centre (Belvedere)
    Dylan Murphy - Tighthead Prop (Roscrea)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Clongowes 3-10 st Michaels 24thmin
    Michaels much stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

8-13 37 min

Traumadoc wrote: »
    8-13 37 min

Try Clongowes. Game on , now.

• Advertisement

Try Clongowes. Game on , now.

20-15. with ten mins to go.

Final score?

Michaels win 20-15

Any stand-out teams/ players this Junior Cup? Not seen many games but nobody seems to be doing anything special. Could just be me being unlucky and missing it all though.

With all due respect , playing Div 2A with Skerries as a 19 year old 6th year is hardly earth shattering and no justification for saying that a player is Sub Academy standard.

I think he started playing as an 18 year old and playing in the 3rd division of the AIL with full grown men at 18 is something. Its not as earth shattering as it would be if it were 1A but its the highest level he can play with and combined with the back he has been a starter for Ireland and Leinster when schools players have traditionally dominated the backs positions (especially with Leinster) does put him in a good position for a Sub Academy spot.

Any stand-out teams/ players this Junior Cup? Not seen many games but nobody seems to be doing anything special. Could just be me being unlucky and missing it all though.

Chris Cosgrave in Michaels is meant to be very good. I have a cousin in his year (2nd) and from what I hear he's a bit of a prodigy. Great kicker and great athlete. Plays 13.

Don't know about other schools but assume Blackrock have a few up and comers. Pres Bray were meant to have a strong team too, heard they have one or two stars too.

• Advertisement

I think he started playing as an 18 year old and playing in the 3rd division of the AIL with full grown men at 18 is something. Its not as earth shattering as it would be if it were 1A but its the highest level he can play with and combined with the back he has been a starter for Ireland and Leinster when schools players have traditionally dominated the backs positions (especially with Leinster) does put him in a good position for a Sub Academy spot.

He is a certainty for a sub-academy place.
    Been highly rated for a long time, is an excellent athlete and a developing outhalf. A season playing AIL with men will only help him develop, will probably move to a 1A side next year and hopefully play AIL.

Michaels:
    Chris Cosgrave(Centre)
    Niall Carroll(Ouhalf)
    Zach Harrison(Wing)

Blackrock
    Ed Brennan(Number 8)
    Ben Wallace(Hooker)
    Cian Duffy(Lock)

Pres Bray
    Mick O'Gara(Outhalf)

Belvedere
    John Meagher(Outhalf)
    Cailean Mulvainey(Centre)
    Rory Dwyer(Fullback)

Clongowes
    John Maher(Fullback)
    Joe Carroll(Centre)
    Barry Dooley(Backrow)

Terenure
    Levi Vaughan(Hooker)
    Aaron Deegan(Lock)
    George Morgan(Outhalf)

Monkstown
    James Reynolds(Centre)
    Ethan Ryan(Backrow)

Blackrock JCT beating Belvedere 31-6 with 8 minutes to play.

Rock are a huge team for this level, even with them missing their huge lock.

Michael's have 6 starters in 2nd year. Going to struggle to match them physically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement