Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Roscrea are getting battered. Another Belvedere try.

game over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Belvo deserved winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Roscrea don't deserve to be here and will rightly get demolished. Themselves and clongowes got the easiest draws to the final/semi

Doesn't mean they didn't deserve to be there. They can only beat what's put in front of them and the fact is an easier draw (as you refer to) probably disadvantaged them today in the sense they were inadequately prepared for such a step up.

The lads put in a great effort to reach the final and surpassed all obstacles laid before them. The fact of of the matter is one team had to lose today and Roscrea were that team. Best team won but Roscrea are no fluke team.two finals in a row was a great achievement.

They are only young men so they should be encouraged and applauded for their efforts. I can guarantee you many of them will read this thread.

Another Belvedere try. 24-0.

• Advertisement

Great try from Belvo to make it 31-0 (65 mins). Comprehensive victory

29-0 with conversion to come. Belvedere are lovely movers in the backs. Roscrea haven't been able to make any inroads with their fwds.

What's the craic with this? Is it normal for a team to be demolished like this? How did Roscrea manage to get to the final, they look a class or two below Belvedere here.

Belvo's defence has been excellent today. Roscrea's forwards completely nulled

awec wrote: »
    What's the craic with this? Is it normal for a team to be demolished like this? How did Roscrea manage to get to the final, they look a class or two below Belvedere here.

Belvo just a very good team. Quality defence and outstanding in attack. I thought Michaels Clongowes would have beaten Roscrea but Roscrea's pack were just too powerful

• Advertisement

They finally get over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

31-7

Consolation try for CCR.

Thoroughly deserved cup win by the best team in the cup this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Roscrea don't deserve to be here and will rightly get demolished. Themselves and clongowes got the easiest draws to the final/semi
    They totally deserved to be in the final. They were league champions and deserved each of their 3 previous wins to get to the final.
    Its a straight knock out cup and you can only play who's put in your way with the draw and Roscrea did that.
    Nothing wrong. Its age grade rugby. There will always be games like this.
    Roscrea have a big pack and a few good backs. They used their dominance upfront to get through. Havent seen game but clearly Belvedere have been able to match/well beat Roscrea upfront and they have the better backline so will be that bit ahead.

2 finals left now at senior as well as all the junior finals.... Predictions for those games?

Synode wrote: »
    Belvo just a very good team. Quality defence and outstanding in attack. I thought Michaels would have beaten Roscrea but Roscrea's pack were just too powerful

Roscrea didn't play Michael's.
    Belvo beat both Blackrock and Michael's - the two strongest teams next to them. That's the way the draw went.

glasso wrote: »
    Roscrea didn't play Michael's.
    Belvo beat both Blackrock and Michael's - the two strongest teams next to them. That's the way the draw went.

Apologies, I meant to say Clongowes.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

Congrats to the Belvedere squad after a tough campaign. Worthy winners today in a final that Roscrea really never got a hold of - at all.

And congrats to the dozens of coaches/players who made their schools' JCT/SCTs - to run out on the superb Donnybrook pitch and wear their jerseys with pride whatever the odds.

Cynics will moan and sceptics will pick holes in anything; and your perspective drives your perception as I have said often here. So be it.

Nonetheless Leinster Schools Rugby is alive and well. Pastmen such as myself get to what games we can and tune in every year and slog it out on boards.ie etc. - and we are now already looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Out of interest, how do people reckon this Belvo team would've got on against say the Clongowes team from '11? Rock team from '13/'14?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Of course they deserved to be ther, they played poorly in the final , as happens to even professional adult teams - this also was an exceptional Belvedere team , said it before best back line I've ever seen at schools level - stand by it - Well done Belvedere - Roscrea in previous rounds made hardly any handling errors , today was just a bad day , as happenes in life and sport , but totally deserved to be in final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

thebaz wrote: »
    this also was an exceptional Belvedere team , said it before best back line I've ever seen at schools level - stand by it

St. Michaels 2013 and 2014.
    Blackrock 2013.
    Blackrock 2006.

Just a few that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 culhanp

Overall,the backs of Belvo were superb, consistantly made an overlap and used it to perfection at times. Belvo had some good strategies to combat the Roscrea pack and caused numerous amounts of strips. Some questionable calls by the referee but overall had a good game, not that anyof his decisions would of made a difference in the end. Congrats to both teams and best of luck to both of them in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This OB was at the game with 2 ex-Rocks who were up for Belvo, begob. It was a super day for it.

Without the benefit on TV stuff (punditry, replays, analysis, etc.), Roscrea, on the day, looked as if just weren't up to the challenge with too many unforced errors and just didn't move their attack or defence formations as quick as Belvo did, which resulted in holes which got well exploited and punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Hagz wrote: »
    St. Michaels 2013 and 2014.
    Blackrock 2013.
    Blackrock 2006.

Just a few that spring to mind.
    What was the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

funtime93 wrote: »
    What was the question?

fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

That is a magnificent Belvedere team. Certainly the best Belvedere team of the past 30 years. Real shame that they have to leave school now! Would have enjoyed another year of that style of rugby. Credit to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Great win for Belvo and couldn't happen for a nicer school. I feel if Roscrea had taken their chances at 7-0 it could have been a different day but you can't make that many knock ons.

Well earned.

The Roscrea defensive organisation and tackling was poor yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

Why is there no all ireland series for the winners of all the schools cups like the hogan cup in Gaelic football or maybe there is and I dont know about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭brokenhooker

ozzyo wrote: »
    Why is there no all ireland series for the winners of all the schools cups like the hogan cup in Gaelic football or maybe there is and I dont know about it!

because a leinster team would win it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

Ok that clears it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

The Roscrea defensive organisation and tackling was poor yesterday.

Their defense wasn't great, but in fairness to them Belvo's backline made most of the teams that they played look poor on defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Their defense wasn't great, but in fairness to them Belvo's backline made most of the teams that they played look poor on defense.

Name the u19 and u18 Ireland squads for their upcoming matches , usually played around Easter hols time.

they were excellent at creating an overlap and exploiting it using running lines and basic skill execution.

Exams. Easter holidays. National teams have games.
    They wouldn't and that's not why it doesn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

What really impressed me about the belvedere team was their defensive organisation. At times Roscrea had multiple phases and varying points of attack and it was dealt with. Same against Michaels. Even if there was a linebreak they scrambled and reorganised.

The other thing was just the sheer quality from 1-15. No standout player but so many very very good players across the team. You couldn't pin point one player to try and stop.

Exams. Easter holidays. National teams have games.
    They wouldn't and that's not why it doesn't happen

Look at the gulf in standard in both finals yesterday, it was massive.

Roscrea would win munster easily and they aren't even the 2nd best side in Leinster.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    What really impressed me about the belvedere team was their defensive organisation. At times Roscrea had multiple phases and varying points of attack and it was dealt with. Same against Michaels. Even if there was a linebreak they scrambled and reorganised.

The other thing was just the sheer quality from 1-15. No standout player but so many very very good players across the team. You couldn't pin point one player to try and stop.

i'd say O'Sullivan is the standout talent and he isn't even playing in his best position. Was surprised how well the Belvo scrum did too. A lot less hyped than the Roscrea tight 5 who all are provincial reps.

Really like Max Kearney too, hopefully his size doesn't prevent him from underage honours.

this is always asked. hasn't been done and main reasons put forward are too little time and students having to concentrate on exams.

this is always asked. hasn't been done and main reasons put forward are too little time and students having to concentrate on exams.

they could do it, if they started the cup earlier.. but as I said before leinster sides would dominate

FrannoFan wrote: »

true but Michael's could have won the game against Belvo - they gave away 2 intercept tries in the game.

they could do it, if they started the cup earlier.. but as I said before leinster sides would dominate

Would teams be willing to do this? I know the Ulster final is always on St Patricks day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

tricky D wrote: »
    This OB was at the game with 2 ex-Rocks who were up for Belvo, begob. It was a super day for it.

Without the benefit on TV stuff (punditry, replays, analysis, etc.), Roscrea, on the day, looked as if just weren't up to the challenge with too many unforced errors and just didn't move their attack or defence formations as quick as Belvo did, which resulted in holes which got well exploited and punished.

As an ex-Rock I simply say that Belvedere were just terrific and fully deserved their title.

What struck me most forcibly was the character of the team, in particular their ability to withstand pressure and not give up where many others might. In the replay against Rock I thought that it was starting to slide away from Belvedere but they just came back in grand style. You just can't beat that sort of spirit ! Well done - see you next season when we will all do it again, once more, with feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Don't they all play each other during the year anyways? A lot of teams travel to other provinces early in the season to play each other.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Don't they all play each other during the year anyways? A lot of teams travel to other provinces early in the season to play each other.

yeah frendlies are very common but I wouldnt say they all play each other.

true but Michael's could have won the game against Belvo - they gave away 2 intercept tries in the game.

Belvo best side in comp, Michael's/Rock 2nd/3rd. Roscrea 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

yeah frendlies are very common but I wouldnt say they all play each other.

Not play every single team in a different province, but lots of friendlies take place between schools from different provinces. To go unbeaten in a season would always be an indicator of who the top school team in Ireland is.

Would teams be willing to do this? I know the Ulster final is always on St Patricks day.

No is the short answer. There is no common desire across the provinces to have an all-Ireland schools rugby cup.

Leinster would be too strong, Ulster might be competitive some years, Munster would struggle badly and Connacht would be hammered.

Not play every single team in a different province, but lots of friendlies take place between schools from different provinces. To go unbeaten in a season would always be an indicator of who the top school team in Ireland is.

Michael's went unbeaten last year before the cup then they imploded. Such an awful job by their coach.

Probably because of school. The winners only have a few months to the Leaving Cert so an additional month of rugby would be a bit much.

They do but as friendlies that ultimately mean nothing and are just prep for the cups. There should really be a "Champions Trophy" for the first half of the year where all teams who want to enter can and all teams are split into groups and the friendlies they play actually stand for something and potential to win another competition. It could be all Ireland based. Simply 6/8 groups of 5/6 and schools across all provinces play each other with winners of each groups into knock out with a final in one of the provincial grounds in January before cups start or before christmas
    It wouldn't really as so many variables...
    No is the short answer. There is no common desire across the provinces to have an all-Ireland schools rugby cup.

Leinster would be too strong, Ulster might be competitive some years, Munster would struggle badly and Connacht would be hammered.
    Munster wouldn't struggle badly. Top teams would do quite well against Leinster sides. Connacht schools would fare worst but competition between other provinces would be ok
    Synode wrote: »
    Probably because of school. The winners only have a few months to the Leaving Cert so an additional month of rugby would be a bit much.
    That isn't really a good enough reason. Season could change at the beginning and you could reduce number of meaningless friendlies to have this competition.

That isn't really a good enough reason. Season could change at the beginning and you could reduce number of meaningless friendlies to have this competition.

They're school kids. Education should take priority over an all Ireland competition. The provincial Senior cups is enough in my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement