Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Fintans played brilliantly against Templogue and if anything should've added to the scoreline further.

Skerries have done quite well in the club leagues, if that translates to the schools cup they should do well.

Fintans have done a really good job over the last 4-5 years. Great to see. I think they've benefited from the demise of St Pauls to a certain extent but some really excellent work being done there.

Skerries never seem to have been able to kick on. They are one of the few schools who might benefit long term from the new moving rule. If you look at the players they have lost over the years it is a decent list. Even just recently the O'Connors and Connor Oliver spring straight to mind. It would be great to see a 'Club' school start to do really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

bruski10 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Vinnie Murray Q-Finals this week ?

I see Castleknock and Wilsons winning by 30-40 points, Skerries by 7-10 and St Fintans by 2-5

Didnt Knock require an injury time winner against Conleths
    Not sure how you translate that into trouncing De La Salle

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cuprugby333

With majority of all friendlies played now, what are the predictions for the first round of cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

With majority of all friendlies played now, what are the predictions for the first round of cup?

Gonzaga v 2nd Vinnie Murray Finalist - If Fintans get through to the cup I could see this match being very close
    Newbridge v Belvedere - Belvedere
    Kings Hospital v Clongowes - Clongowes
    Gerards v CBC Monkstown - CBC
    Blackrock v 1st Vinnie Murray Finalist - Blackrock, most likely will be facing Castleknock
    St Marys v Terenure - St Marys
    Andrews v Michaels - Michaels
    Kilkenny v Cistercian Roscrea - Roscrea

Belvedere's odds have gone to 5/1 from 7/2, defo worth a punt

Munster Senior Cup odds now on Paddy Power
    Castletroy - 5/4
    CBC Cork - 9/4
    Crescent - 4/1
    PBC - 4/1
    Ardscoil Ris - 8/1
    Rockwell 10/1

From who I have seen play, I will be putting my money on Crescent, their backline are very slick and well conditioned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Terenure v St.Mary's should be a really close game. Terenure seem to have really improved over the last few weeks and have a pretty decent team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Aussie_Bloke

What are St.Marys like ? odds have them at third favorites. Any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Can anyone shed any light on why Castleknock are a shadow of their former selves?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on why Castleknock are a shadow of their former selves?

Considerable amount of lads stop playing rugby after Junior Cup, limited resources to work with I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Huge GAA club there now too, going to be one of the superpowers of Dublin GAA soon enough, you'd have to assume they take some of the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Bridge93 wrote: »

Boarding stopped about 8/9 years ago, that has had an affect.
    There's 2 big Gaa clubs very close to the school, one of which as a previous poster mentioned is becoming a powerhouse. So there's significant numbers choosing that over playing rugby.
    There has also been less of an emphasis on rugby over the last 5/6 years in the school mainly by the headmaster, who's not a keen rugby fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Think they beat all the big 6 except Rock. Have a good coaching staff and a few lads who were involved in the 18s and 19s. Should be able to give it a fair go.

Think they beat all the big 6 except Rock. Have a good coaching staff and a few lads who were involved in the 18s and 19s. Should be able to give it a fair go.

Should be a great game so! When was the last time Marys beat Terenure in a senior cup match does anyone know? 2002 was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

They're quite highly rated know they beat Clongowes and Micheals this season.
    Played against them today on the Astro in UCD for Kh. King's won it 12-3, with out playing much attacking rugby. They have a very strong scrum, a decent maul and a good footballing 10. They know how to play territory, but their attack didn't really click today.
    Derry O'Connor their leinster u19's scrumhalf went off injured, not sure how bad it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Considerable amount of lads stop playing rugby after Junior Cup, limited resources to work with I guess

Think they are slowly turning things around. Won the junior league last year. Have Adrian flavin and Jeremy Staunton involved there as well as one of the blaneys.
    Lack of borders has to hurt and require a readjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cuprugby333

Yeah the Mary's v terenure match will be very close, I believe terenure beat all Leinster schools bar rock , marys (by 3) and a draw with Michael's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bruski10

Didnt Knock require an injury time winner against Conleths
    Not sure how you translate that into trouncing De La Salle

As a coach for one of the schools involved in the vinnie murray cup im basing my predictions on having seen most of these teams play this season and followed results closely. Im not basing it on one result. If u scroll back you'll see my 1st round predictions werent far off, castleknock winning margin (ironically) excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Vinnie Murray Quarters results
    DLS Churchtown 12 Castleknock College 46, Skerries CC 19 CUS 13, St Fintans Sutton 10 Wesley College 15, Wilsons Hospital 45 Colaiste Bhride 10

Connacht Cup Group 1
    Garbally Ballinasloe 25 Clifden CS 12

Connacht Cup Group 2
    Sligo Grammar 18 Summerhill Sligo 10
    Colaiste Iognaid 24 St Geralds Castlebar 11
    All played yesterday. Marist and Muiredachs Ballina due to be played today off due to weather....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offloader93

Anyone have news on injuries coming up to the cup?

bruski10 wrote: »
    As a coach for one of the schools involved in the vinnie murray cup im basing my predictions on having seen most of these teams play this season and followed results closely. Im not basing it on one result. If u scroll back you'll see my 1st round predictions werent far off, castleknock winning margin (ironically) excluded.

In fairness you called that result , well done

Is the Irish Times / Irish Independent doing a preview for this years Cup competitions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Munster Junior Cup
    Munchin's 19 - 3 Ard Scoil Rís
    Rockwell 26 - 7 Bandon Grammar
    Glenstal 14 - 0 Castletroy
    PBC 48 - 5 St. Clement's
    CCC 17 - 10 CBC

Munster Senior Cup
    Ard Scoil Rís 18 - 15 Munchin's
    Rockwell 28 - 0 Bandon Grammar
    Castletroy 18 - 16 Glenstal
    PBC 60 - 0 St. Clement's
    CBC 17 - 5 CCC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Munster Junior Cup
    Munchin's 19 - 3 Ard Scoil Rís
    Rockwell 26 - 7 Bandon Grammar
    Glenstal 14 - 0 Castletroy
    PBC 48 - 5 St. Clement's
    CCC 17 - 10 CBC

Munster Senior Cup
    Ard Scoil Rís 18 - 15 Munchin's
    Rockwell 28 - 0 Bandon Grammar
    Castletroy 18 - 16 Glenstal
    PBC 60 - 0 St. Clement's
    CBC 17 - 5 CCC

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭11393551

Does anyone have predictions for the 1st round Leinster matches?thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd go for:
    Mary's
    CBC
    Michaels
    Belvo
    Roscrea
    Clongowes
    Gonzaga
    Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offloader93

First game of the cup tomorrow. Any predictions on how it will go?

How did the league go this year?who was in semis and who won it etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Both these teams look extremely lightweight.

11393551 wrote: »
    How did the league go this year?who was in semis and who won it etc?
    Roscrea beat Kilkenny college in final. Playoffs/results etc all listed on link below
    http://www.leinsterrugbydomestic.com/diagram/103898/playoffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Some Boot by the Mary's 12.
    6-3 at HT to Mary's after the Nure 9 missed a relatively easy kick with last play of the half.

Gick look better with ball in hand.
    Sam Dardis and their wingers are good strike runners but their forwards are making a lot of unforced errors.
    They do look the more likely team to score a try.

Mary's are growing into the game after a slow start.

Marys have a better set piece and kicking game. Terenure started well but struggled as the half wore on.

• Advertisement

Great second half from Terenure. Always good to defeat the old enemy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Have Mary's won a first round game since they made the final in 2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Have Mary's won a first round game since they made the final in 2008?

Yes, got to the semi in 2010 have had a few quarter finals.

What are Michaels like this year haven't heard much about them?

The Nure Full back had a great game took his try very well after a bit of fortune to get it back but his pass for the last try was sublime , real top drawer stuff.

CBC Monkstown beat Gerards 15-13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

It might just be in my head but it seems to me that schools cup players aren't as big in the last 3 or 4 years as they have been before that and I've been watching for over 20 years. Not complaining, just a thought .

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Sounds like it was a close one between Gerrard's and CBC, CBC kicking a penalty to win in injury time. I think Andrews +15 handicap is good value today, slight chance of a huge upset today if it stays dry, if not the Michael's pack will be too much, but Andrews arguably have the best centre partnership in the competition, Jordan Larmour particularly could be one for the future.

What do people think of roscrea -6 and belvo -11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

11393551 wrote: »
    What do people think of roscrea -6 and belvo -11?

Think Roscrea have played Kilkenny twice competitively this season and won by 5 points both times so it would be a risky one. Not sure on the Belvo match

I know they televised Nure v Marys on TG4 , anybody know how many games they are planning to cover , do not see any other games on this weeks schedule

I know they televised Nure v Marys on TG4, anybody know how many games they are planning to cover, do not see any other games on this weeks schedule
    Setanta have the coverage. They have all quarters. Did tg4 have first round game? Havent had one of them in a few years....

I know they televised Nure v Marys on TG4, anybody know how many games they are planning to cover, do not see any other games on this weeks schedule
    Setanta have the coverage. They have all quarters. Did tg4 have first round game? Havent had one of them in a few years....

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I know they televised Nure v Marys on TG4 , anybody know how many games they are planning to cover , do not see any other games on this weeks schedule

They're showing the qtrs, semis and final. The Nure v Mary's game was the only first round match they televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Think Roscrea have played Kilkenny twice competitively this season and won by 5 points both times so it would be a risky one. Not sure on the Belvo match

Kilkenny could well beat Roscrea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Michaels leading Andrews 12-0 after 30 minutes last I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

15-0 after 40 mins. Michaels had a man sent off after 10/15 mins for a headbutt with the score at 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

15-7 now, no idea of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sounds like it was a close one between Gerrard's and CBC, CBC kicking a penalty to win in injury time. I think Andrews +15 handicap is good value today, slight chance of a huge upset today if it stays dry, if not the Michael's pack will be too much, but Andrews arguably have the best centre partnership in the competition, Jordan Larmour particularly could be one for the future.

Good prediction, it was Larmour who scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

errlloyd wrote: »
    15-7 now, no idea of the time.

56 minutes gone according to Twitter

• Advertisement
Advertisement