Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

15-7 with 13 mins left. Andrews on top at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

BDJW wrote: »
    56 minutes gone according to Twitter

Can you tell me what hashtag, or account you're getting the feed from?

errlloyd wrote: »

St Andrews Alumni always follow the schools games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm following Hugh Cahell (he works for RTE).

18-7 with 10 minutes to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It finished 25-7. Intercept by Michaels in the last play of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

BDJW wrote: »
    It finished 25-7. Intercept by Michaels in the last play of the game

Just to break the hearts of the people who had Andrews on the spread.

Was the spread overly kind to Andrews or did they not show up today? To lose by 18 to a team down a player isn't great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

So michaels had a guy red carded for a head butt? Seriously? A headbutt at schools level? Can they get banned?

funtime93 wrote: »
    So michaels had a guy red carded for a head butt? Seriously? A headbutt at schools level? Can they get banned?

The number 6 I heard was the culprit. They can be banned if history holds true. Sean Coughlan a few years ago (conveniently one day short of missing the final though) and was Conor Gilsenan banned for gouging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why such surprise at a headbutt...
    Of course they can get banned. Its a competitive game under the auspices of the Leinster Branch. The referee has a match report to fill in and a red card form to fill out. A hearing will be held and player&school will attend

• Advertisement

They still won fairly comfortably with 14 men. Andrews probably not up to much but it's still impressive by michaels. Still only 4th favourites at best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Was the spread overly kind to Andrews or did they not show up today? To lose by 18 to a team down a player isn't great

One intercept try and one sliced kick in the Andrews 22 led to another try glossed the scoreline quite a bit. Andrews went down to 14 as well for 10 mins with the Andrews 12 being sin binned when the Michaels 6 got sent off.

Andrews set piece was poor which was the downfall, lost almost every lineout and were pushed back in the scrum. They were decimated by injuries in the pack in fairness though with 4 forwards injured so that didn't help. Larmour got injured before ht, still played on and managed to score a try, serious talent.

Michaels did well considering they had 14 men for the last 50 mins. Solid set piece and very good defense. Think they might fall short in attack against the better teams they had a lot of knock ons today. Take the Andrews centres and put them into the Michaels team and you'd have a very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Guessing if an Andrews player got sinbinned at the same time as Dowling getting sent off there was mitigating circumstances of sorts? Anyone who was there able to say what happened?

I'd guess a one match ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Guessing if an Andrews player got sinbinned at the same time as Dowling getting sent off there was mitigating circumstances of sorts? Anyone who was there able to say what happened?

I'd guess a one match ban?

Would think it would be 2 games at the very least, Oisin Dowling one of their better players they will want him back as quick as possible

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Would think it would be 2 games at the very least, Oisin Dowling one of their better players they will want him back as quick as possible

Didn't Sean Coughlan only get a small ban for his late/high (can't remember) tackle against I think roscrea in 2013 which resulted in him not even missing a match? I don't think they like handing out big bans in schools rugby considering how short the competition is. Unless the Andrews player is seriously hurt I doubt it'll be big. Never know though I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd be much more forgiving of a late/high tackle than a headbutt.

A foul action on a rugby pitch or anywhere.
    Right up there eye gouging, fish hooking and testicle grabbing.
    Has no place in the game.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game in Donnybrook.
    Belvo to cover the 11 point spread

Gilsenan gouged a lad and didn't miss a game either.

Gilsenan gouged a lad and didn't miss a game either.

Brought a barrister to the hearing and frightened the bejes*s out of disciplinary committee. They have moved on since then and have the committee stacked with legal professionals.

Didn't Sean Coughlan only get a small ban for his late/high (can't remember) tackle against I think roscrea in 2013 which resulted in him not even missing a match? I don't think they like handing out big bans in schools rugby considering how short the competition is. Unless the Andrews player is seriously hurt I doubt it'll be big. Never know though I suppose.

Brought his mother in and she started bawling which saw him get off lightly (great tactic by the way) plus it was for a high tackle possibly a spear if I remember and not a headbutt which as said above will be deemed far more serious but guessing the outcome is probably a fools game.

• Advertisement

I'd be much more forgiving of a late/high tackle than a headbutt.

A foul action on a rugby pitch or anywhere.
    Right up there eye gouging, fish hooking and testicle grabbing.
    Has no place in the game.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game in Donnybrook.
    Belvo to cover the 11 point spread

Has anyone been paralysed by a headbutt before?

I understand the scumbaggery aspect associated with a headbutt and I do think there should be a punishment given out but it's considerably less dangerous than a spear or eye gouge. Even a relatively weak high or late tackle can have far more dire consequences at schools rugby where some players are simply put on another level athletically to others on the same pitch.

12 and a half minutes in and Belvo score a try after through the forwards after a great break by winger McKeown.
    Belvo dominating from the get go.

Converted by 12 Conor Jennings

7-0 Belvo

Try on 15 minutes by 12 Conor Jennings

Conversion missed by Jennings

12-0 Belvo

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭11393551

cheers anywhere to get updates on roscrea? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

11393551 wrote: »
    cheers anywhere to get updates on roscrea? Thanks

6-3 to Kilkenny, around 25min in.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Midlands103Sport are retweeting updates from the match Kilkenny leading 6-3 at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

6 - 3 to kilkenny currently

Another try for Belvo, converted by Jennings.

19-0.
    30 mins gone

Another Belvo try.
    From Centre Sexton (I think)

Fantastic conversion by Jennings.

26-0 at HT

roscrea 10 - 6 up into second half

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

15 - 6 Roscrea ahead ...first ever cup game as holders... ever.

• Advertisement

Penalty - Belvo
    29-0

Try McCaffrey - belvo
    Conversion- missed

34-0

22 - 6 to roscrea in the final stages

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭InsideatAnimo

FT 22 - 6 to the holders

Crescent beating Glenstal 22-10 just into the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Crescent beating Glenstal 22-10 just into the 2nd half

But in the new format that will mean that Glenstal win the cup..?? Still can't get my head around the new munster format!!

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    But in the new format that will mean that Glenstal win the cup..?? Still can't get my head around the new munster format!!
    There isn't anything complicated about format of Munster schools cups.
    10 schools. 5 opening round games. 5 winners and 1 loser of opening games go through to the quarter finals. 4 other losers of opening round playoff for quarter final places.
    Every school gets minimum of 2 games in their principal competition. Something the Leinster schools should really do...

Impressive from Belvo

Impressive from Belvo

Not hugely.

They'll be disappointed with lack of execution and lack of killer instinct.

Should have put 60 on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

10 schools. 5 opening round games. 5 winners and 1 loser of opening games go through to the quarter finals. 4 other losers of opening round playoff for quarter final places.
    Every school gets minimum of 2 games in their principal competition. Something the Leinster schools should really do...

Hardly uncomplicated.

which first round loser goes through without a playoff?
    what determines who plays who in the losers round?
    which playoff winners play which first round winners?

I know you will have the answers on the tip of your tongue as always but however it works it is not a simple format.

Not hugely.

They'll be disappointed with lack of execution and lack of killer instinct.

Should have put 60 on them.

Wow! We're Newbridge that bad

• Advertisement

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Hardly uncomplicated.

which first round loser goes through without a playoff?
    what determines who plays who in the losers round?
    which playoff winners play which first round winners?

I know you will have the answers on the tip of your tongue as always but however it works it is not a simple format.
    No need for ....

It was a Simple draw. 5 winners go through and then 1 loser got a bye from this playoff round.
    Not that complicated and better system than straight knock out that's in Leinster and Ulster.
    Then draw for quarters. No repeat ties from earlier rounds

Wow! We're Newbridge that bad

It wasn't that Newbridge were that bad.
    Belvedere just didn't let them play their own game. The Belvedere line speed for the first 55 minutes was on point.
    The amount of turnovers and steals Belvo got was incredible and with captain Brian Egan running their lineout, they severely disrupted the Newbridge set piece.

:rolleyes:

Its not complicated and much better than what they do in Leinster.
    And it isn't complicated. Everyone gets a second chance. There is 10 teams. 5 winners go through to quarters. 4 of the teams who lose their opening game playoff for 2 spots and the 5th side that lost its opening game gets a bye into the quarters. That isn't complicated.

And it isn't complicated. Everyone gets a second chance. There is 10 teams. 5 winners go through to quarters. 4 of the teams who lose their opening game playoff for 2 spots and the 5th side that lost its opening game gets a bye into the quarters. That isn't complicated.

Have you heard the expression "if you're explaining, you're losing"?

Let it go man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have you heard the expression "if you're explaining, you're losing"?

Let it go man!

Mod: This is not constructive debate. Please post in a more civil manner in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I like that system. How are the four losers drawn? Are they seeded by how much they lost by or just pulled from a hat randomly?

Why does one of the losers get a bye? Also makes the first round relatively redundant if every loser has another chance. You get more games absolutely but that doesn't necessarily make it better if the competitiveness or a large part of it is taken out of the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

If giving people more games is the issue why not just do a league or champions cup style format? It seems a bit ridiculous to me and doesn't really fit in with the hole 'knockout' cup rugby thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Without entering into the complicated debate, I would be in favour of young men who train really hard getting at least two games in a championship. It can never be a long league system as they have exams to get onto after Easter, but two games would be good and just reward for hard work. Never dismiss something until you have listened to see if it improves what you have in place.

Advertisement