Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster schools league/cup 2015/2016 senior&junior

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Without entering into the complicated debate, I would be in favour of young men who train really hard getting at least two games in a championship. It can never be a long league system as they have exams to get onto after Easter, but two games would be good and just reward for hard work. Never dismiss something until you have listened to see if it improves what you have in place.

It's patronising imo though to a school like Gonzaga that while occasionally produce a nice team usually go out if they meet a big 6 school. If you get hammered 50-0 by the favourites in the first round, you know you're not up to the standard of winning the cup. You get another chance to make the quarters but you know you're not winning the tournament. I just don't see it being hugely beneficial to have a team lose the first round, win the qualifiers and lose the quarters. Reeks of giving out participation medals I think.

I don't know what those schools or the players in those schools think though you're right so I could be dead wrong. And maybe it will lead to improvements in Munster, I suppose we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I like that system. How are the four losers drawn? Are they seeded by how much they lost by or just pulled from a hat randomly?
    They drew one team out of the hat to go through and then drew the other ties out of the hat. Open draw
    Why does one of the losers get a bye? Also makes the first round relatively redundant if every loser has another chance. You get more games absolutely but that doesn't necessarily make it better if the competitiveness or a large part of it is taken out of the first round.
    One team gets a bye as there was 5 games in the opening round. Then there is 8 teams who'll be in the quarter finals. The competitiveness isn't gone if you have a second chance. If you lose you have to play an extra game, bar one side, so the route to winning the competition is harder. Its a very good system
    Tarf1234 wrote: »
    If giving people more games is the issue why not just do a league or champions cup style format? It seems a bit ridiculous to me and doesn't really fit in with the hole 'knockout' cup rugby thing...
    I don't think there is any desire for it. What seems ridiculous to you? I think straight knockout one game and you're gone doesn't help the players. A more equal chance of sides getting at least 2 cup games would be so much better for all.
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Without entering into the complicated debate, I would be in favour of young men who train really hard getting at least two games in a championship. It can never be a long league system as they have exams to get onto after Easter, but two games would be good and just reward for hard work. Never dismiss something until you have listened to see if it improves what you have in place.
    It could be a longer league styled event they could start earlier in January and then finish in traditional time in march. Robbie look at Connacht and their schools cup format...
    It's patronising imo though to a school like Gonzaga that while occasionally produce a nice team usually go out if they meet a big 6 school. If you get hammered 50-0 by the favourites in the first round, you know you're not up to the standard of winning the cup. You get another chance to make the quarters but you know you're not winning the tournament. I just don't see it being hugely beneficial to have a team lose the first round, win the qualifiers and lose the quarters. Reeks of giving out participation medals I think.

I don't know what those schools or the players in those schools think though you're right so I could be dead wrong. And maybe it will lead to improvements in Munster, I suppose we'll see.
    This system of all schools getting at least 2 games has been in place since 2006. It means there isn't the extreme focus on 70 minutes. For all the friendlies nothing is like the cup so why not give more games. It changes the pressure on players for the better. I don't see it as patronising at all. Just because you cant or are very unlikely to win doesn't mean sides don't need more games in their primary competition. The highlighted sentence is ridiculous. These competitions are still age grade rugby and about development. More games means more chances for players to learn in the pressurised environment of top age grade competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

I can't see the point of the first game at all really. I get the theory behind it but can't agree with it. I've spoken with a couple of guys from Munster about it and they've all said it is seen as a joke.

Why would a champions league style not work? Do 4 x 4 team pools each team guaranteed 2 games (Which could be played in the current 1st round and quarter final cup games) and then go into the Semi finals. No extra dates needed and it would not go on any longer or interrupt any exams etc. The only difference is that the weaker teams would get additional games.

I can't see the point of the first game at all really. I get the theory behind it but can't agree with it. I've spoken with a couple of guys from Munster about it and they've all said it is seen as a joke.

Why would a champions league style not work? Do 4 x 4 team pools each team guaranteed 2 games (Which could be played in the current 1st round and quarter final cup games) and then go into the Semi finals. No extra dates needed and it would not go on any longer or interrupt any exams etc. The only difference is that the weaker teams would get additional games.

I don't see the powers at be changing from straight knockout to groups of 4 without a step in between. Ive spoken to plenty in Munster and have played with plenty who were in schools set up before and after the change in 2006 and it is better than straight knockout

Groups of 4 x 4 guarantees 3 games but if concerned about mocks etc how do you accommodate extra games? Do you move Vinnie Murray earlier and have some games in that before Christmas to start the main senior cup earlier?

• Advertisement

I don't see the powers at be changing from straight knockout to groups of 4 without a step in between. Ive spoken to plenty in Munster and have played with plenty who were in schools set up before and after the change in 2006 and it is better than straight knockout

Groups of 4 x 4 guarantees 3 games but if concerned about mocks etc how do you accommodate extra games? Do you move Vinnie Murray earlier and have some games in that before Christmas to start the main senior cup earlier?

I never said I expect to see it. I'm not really the type to expect the best decision to be made by the Branch. All of their decisions will go in favour of the big schools and the big schools love the way the cup is with a few big days out.

The way it is currently definitely leaves space to fit them in. It would be a max of 5 games over 9 weeks for example this year. I can't see how that would be difficult to fit in.

It would also allow teams (particularly top teams) a bit of squad rotation. Giving more people a taste of top level competitive schools rugby.

I never said I expect to see it. I'm not really the type to expect the best decision to be made by the Branch. All of their decisions will go in favour of the big schools and the big schools love the way the cup is with a few big days out.

The way it is currently definitely leaves space to fit them in. It would be a max of 5 games over 9 weeks for example this year. I can't see how that would be difficult to fit in.

It would also allow teams (particularly top teams) a bit of squad rotation. Giving more people a taste of top level competitive schools rugby.
    The bigger schools are those with the power on the schools committee or at least influence on the committee ...
    There is certainly room for change and its time for change.

The bigger schools are those with the power on the schools committee or at least influence on the committee ...
    There is certainly room for change and its time for change.

100% agree with that. Branch refuses to stand up to certain schools and clubs. The game in Leinster could be a whole lot stronger and fairer if things were different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The argument that you train all year and only get one game isn't really true unless you are in a "big 6" school and lose your first game.(Like Marys this year)
    The remaining schools qualify through the league(group games, quarters, semi, final)
    or else through the Vinnie murray (first round,quarters, semi,final)

Schools can opt to enter the league or else if they are contend with taking a chance of only getting one big game so be it.

I can't understand why they don't change it to a 4 pools of 4 system,(so still 16 teams in the cup) play each other once and top two go into quarters bottom two go into the plate (and run the plate properly as opposed to the shambles it is at present)

It means eventual winner only has two extra games but guarantees all teams a minimum of three games.
    Unlikely to change as there doesn't seem to be any interest from the powers that be to mess with the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

The argument that you train all year and only get one game isn't really true unless you are in a "big 6" school and lose your first game.(Like Marys this year)
    The remaining schools qualify through the league(group games, quarters, semi, final)

Schools can opt to enter the league or else if they are contend with taking a chance of only getting one big game so be it.

I can't understand why they don't change it to a 4 pools of 4 system,(so still 16 teams in the cup) play each other once and top two go into quarters bottom two go into the plate (and run the plate properly as opposed to the shambles it is at present)

It means eventual winner only has two extra games but guarantees all teams a minimum of three games.
    Unlikely to change as there doesn't seem to be any interest from the powers that be to mess with the status quo.

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    It is true even for league schools to some extent. The huge focus on the cup compared to the league etc.

If the schools who don't compete in the league and those who do competed in another competition as well it would be great. Like in England where there is the schools cup and the champions trophy.
    Totally agree about the Plate and scheduling it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Clongowes beat KH 33-8
    Gonzaga beat Wesley 19-10

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Draw for the quarters tomorrow I think.

Draw for the quarters tomorrow I think.
    In Bective after the Blackrock Castleknock game finishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Any one know if that game is on Setanta? Can't see it list anywhere?

On a broader point, are there fewer games on TV this year? I seem to remember more first round games on TV last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

GavMan wrote: »
    Any one know if that game is on Setanta? Can't see it list anywhere?

On a broader point, are there fewer games on TV this year? I seem to remember more first round games on TV last year....

No... Not on Setanta unfortunately.
    They usually broadcast 8 games per year. One of the first round games and then all the games from the quarter's onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭11393551

paddy power don't seem to have odds up for the game today would anyone know why this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

11393551 wrote: »
    paddy power don't seem to have odds up for the game today would anyone know why this is?

Maybe due to the fact Blackrock will put 80 points on Castlekncok

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Strong rumours circulating that Blackrock College and Belvedere College will not be drawn to meet each other at qfinal or sfinal stages of the draw. The powers that be want a " proper " final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The illuminati stepping away from controlling the world banks , the price of oil and keeping hid the cure for cancer for an afternoon to get involved in the Leinster senior cup !

• Advertisement

Blackrock -24?

The illuminati stepping away from controlling the world banks , the price of oil and keeping hid the cure for cancer for an afternoon to get involved in the Leinster senior cup !

It was only ever a matter of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Blackrock -24?

'Rock are -42 on the spread with PP.

Started out at -24! Will win by about 60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Started out at -24! Will win by about 60

You think its worth a punt? It's quite windy and there are bound to be nerves?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You think its worth a punt? It's quite windy and there are bound to be nerves?

Now up to 45 which is a lot! True conditions are not the best today and the fact it's being played on grass won't help! Still would reckon rock will rack up a cricket score, anything else would be a shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Now up to 45 which is a lot! True conditions are not the best today and the fact it's being played on grass won't help! Still would reckon rock will rack up a cricket score, anything else would be a shock

Moved to Donnybrook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Scores?

Where to get live updates?

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Scores?
    Blackrock up 13-3 nearly HT

Blackrock up 13-3 nearly HT

Where you getting updates,

Where you getting updates,
    Just did a search on twitter.. @irishschoolsrugby.

Bandon beating Munchins 6-3 into 2nd half in senior comp in Munster...

27 - 3 to Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭jack01986

48-3 to Rock according to twitter.

Results from today
    Connacht Cup Group 2
    Sligo Grammar 12 Colaiste Iognaid 13
    Munster 2nd Round
    Bandon Grammar 13 St. Munchins 11
    Leinster 1st Round
    Blackrock College 53 Castleknock 8

• Advertisement

Results from today
    Connacht Cup Group 2
    Sligo Grammar 12 Colaiste Iognaid 13
    Munster 2nd Round
    Bandon Grammar 13 St. Munchins 11
    Leinster 1st Round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is that exactly what the spread was at kick off? The ability of betters to predict the results of matches never ceases to amaze me.

Twitter seems to suggest Rock were missing 4/5 first teamers today

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Twitter seems to suggest Rock were missing 4/5 first teamers today
    Wasn't an issue anyway...
    Munster 1/4s draw
    Castletroy v Clements
    Rockwell v Crescent Comp
    PBC v Bandon Grammar
    ASR v CBC

Leinster 1/4s draw
    Belvedere v Blackrock
    Roscrea v Gonzaga
    Michaels v Terenure
    Clongowes v Monkstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

rughug wrote: »
    Strong rumours circulating that Blackrock College and Belvedere College will not be drawn to meet each other at qfinal or sfinal stages of the draw. The powers that be want a " proper " final.
    Leinster 1/4s draw
    Belvedere v Blackrock
    Roscrea v Gonzaga
    Michaels v Terenure
    Clongowes v Monkstown

Them bloody illuminati must have pulled a fast one when they realised we were on to them.

That's an extremely unfortunate draw for some posters here.

Will be a cracker, it is unfortunate they have to meet now

rughug wrote: »
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Rock,roscrea and clongowes into the semis IMO. Michaels terenure very close to call.

Poor Castleknock. That is a proper pasting. Very hard to see anyone breaking into the top6 on a consistent basis. It would take a lot of time, resources (great technical coaches and importantly proper S&C coaching) and money

Michaels Terenure 8th Feb, Clongowes v CBC Monkstown 9th, Blackrock v Belvedere 10th, Roscrea v Gonzaga 11th
    All Donnybrook 3pm

Michaels Terenure 8th Feb, Clongowes v CBC Monkstown 9th, Blackrock v Belvedere 10th, Roscrea v Gonzaga 11th
    All Donnybrook 3pm

Does anyone know how much you pay to get into the stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

there goes your mans illuminati theory

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much you pay to get into the stadium?

Prob a tenner for an adult. Couldn't see it being more than 15 anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement