Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English appeal worries

• 29-08-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I viewed my English Paper today and got 216 out of 400, I was originally at 218 but that was at 54.5 percent so the examiner marked down my Othello and comparative down to 54 percent. The examiner also underlined random sentences which made perfect sense and relevant to question. I think I should appeal it because it's so close to the C3 and alot of my friends thought their English papers were marked hard too but I'm worried it will be downgraded and lose my course. Is there a good chance that it won't be downgraded or lose my course if it does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Medicine2o15

I think something like 2 people in the entire country get downgraded each year so don't worry! As far as I know once you've accepted your course they can't take it of u regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Is mise John

I think something like 2 people in the entire country get downgraded each year so don't worry! As far as I know once you've accepted your course they can't take it of u regardless :)
    Really? My principal told me last year it was 40 people that got downgraded and examiners hate appeals because they feel like people are giving out to them

I looked it up 3 out of 9267 were downgraded last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Looked at my own english script [HL] earlier, it had been marked twice. First time I scored an A2 (85%) second corrector gave me a B2 (76%) Im not counting english anyway don't think I will appeal as there is a good chance I might not get the money back? I felt the 1st examiner was fairer, understood my style much moreso than the second one, is that not a bit harsh doing so, marking my questions down in some questions by 15%? Is this a common issue does anyone know? Every answer was marked down.
    Sorry OP for intruding on your thread, and in general if I've posted in an unsuited place

I think it's quite common, last year my Irish got marked down from an A2 to a B2, I appealed it but there was no change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Peg14 wrote: »
    Looked at my own english script [HL] earlier, it had been marked twice. First time I scored an A2 (85%) second corrector gave me a B2 (76%) Im not counting english anyway don't think I will appeal as there is a good chance I might not get the money back? I felt the 1st examiner was fairer, understood my style much moreso than the second one, is that not a bit harsh doing so, marking my questions down in some questions by 15%? Is this a common issue does anyone know? Every answer was marked down.
    Sorry OP for intruding on your thread, and in general if I've posted in an unsuited place

If the 76 was in green pen it was an Advising Examiner and you won't move up a grade as they are the people who look at rechecks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If the second set of marks were in green pen, then it was corrected (for the second time) by an advising examiner who is senior to the first examiner. This would be a spot check on the examiners work. The first examiner was probably being too lenient with the marks.

I would say there is practically zero chance of you being brought back up to a B1 let alone an A2.

If the second set of marks were in green pen, then it was corrected (for the second time) by an advising examiner who is senior to the first examiner. This would be a spot check on the examiners work. The first examiner was probably being too lenient with the marks.

I would say there is practically zero chance of you being brought back up to a B1 let alone an A2.

Thanks for your reply. The second set was corrected in a different red pen. It wasn't written beside the original but written over the original score. One was a light red pen, the second was a darker tone. Does this make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks for your reply. The second set was corrected in a different red pen. It wasn't written beside the original but written over the original score. One was a light red pen, the second was a darker tone. Does this make a difference?

It means that the marking scheme was probably changed at some stage, and the examiner had to go back and recorrect all the papers they had already corrected according to the new marking scheme, so no I still think there is zero chance of you being upgraded.

It means that the marking scheme was probably changed at some stage, and the examiner had to go back and recorrect all the papers they had already corrected according to the new marking scheme, so no I still think there is zero chance of you being upgraded.

Ok well then I guess that's fair enough. Nothing I can do about it. Thanks for your help:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It is very rare that students get downgraded.

Last year out of 9000+ appeals only 3 students received a lower mark.

So, while it may happen, it is very unlikely.

Best of luck with the results.

Advertisement