Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Burger ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd be interested to try it, for the craic like, but have to say the combination of camembert slices (which, have they seen a camembert? G'luck to you cutting that into 'slices'), serrano, wagyu beef seasoned with bbq sauce and ketchup doesn't sound that delicious. And the soy on the bottom bun would surely make it wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 porgie_georgie

I wouldn't write off the soy sauce. A splash or two shouldn't soak all the way through the bun, therefore not making it soggy, I would think anyway. That saltiness could be quiet tasty.
    For me, the perfect burger - and I am just talking about the burger itself, is 70/30 beef & pork mince, 2 garlic gloves, bit a parsley, onion and half a red pepper, egg and breadcrumbs (all thrown through the processor obviously) - Nom. Burger toppings are a welcome addition, but it has to be all about the actual burger meat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would try the soy, I like vinegar on buns so they are not too dry. I would certainly not splash soy sauce on though, I put put a little on a plate and swirl it around so its all wet, then rub the roll on the plate.

These figures were odd.
    According to Mitchel, the formula for success relies on the burger’s smell which accounts for 30pc of all pleasure drawn from the experience. More than 25pc relies on a burger’s feel and 15pc on how it looks. The food scientist believes that the taste of the burger is representative of just 15pc of the pleasure experience.
    I would like to see how he came up with them, was he blocking off their nose while "tasting" in which case I would accept taste would be very low, but would not agree with blocking peoples nose!
    Meanwhile, the expert in gastrophysics believes a burger should measure 7cm tall and 5cm wide, which allows all flavours to be enjoyed at once
    They should have had a photo or images reflecting this, as its tiny. The photo in that link is nowhere near the size, this one is better.

2BA6280100000578-3210117-image-a-4_1440504258487.jpg

Video of a woman making them here, who completely missed the small bun thing. Ends up looking like a mess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11827707/The-perfect-burger-does-the-Oxford-formula-really-work.html

5cm buns are mini buns

http://www.foodangles.com/mini-burger-buns-baps-approx-5cm-diameter-x-240pcs/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I put soy sauce in the patty. Would be easier to blend with ketchup if you wanted it on the outside though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

rubadub wrote: »
    I would try the soy, I like vinegar on buns so they are not too dry. I would certainly not splash soy sauce on though, I put put a little on a plate and swirl it around so its all wet, then rub the roll on the plate.

These figures were odd.

I would like to see how he came up with them, was he blocking off their nose while "tasting" in which case I would accept taste would be very low, but would not agree with blocking peoples nose!

They should have had a photo or images reflecting this, as its tiny. The photo in that link is nowhere near the size, this one is better.

2BA6280100000578-3210117-image-a-4_1440504258487.jpg

Video of a woman making them here, who completely missed the small bun thing. Ends up looking like a mess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11827707/The-perfect-burger-does-the-Oxford-formula-really-work.html

5cm buns are mini buns

http://www.foodangles.com/mini-burger-buns-baps-approx-5cm-diameter-x-240pcs/

It doesnt look perfectly balanced to me. I reckon half the filling will fall out when Im trying to eat it. It also looks a lot bigger than 7cm tall. At 5cm wide is it not closer to a slider than a burger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"perfect" burgers have a lot less extraneous stuff shoved in to them, in my opinion. Bun, damn good burger, cheese, max two sauces, max two extra items (bacon, salads, whatever).

It needs to fit in your mouth - that won't, even if its heavily squashed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know I'll be in a minority here, but bacon has no place in a burger (or Serrano ham, in this particular burger).

L1011 wrote: »
    "perfect" burgers have a lot less extraneous stuff shoved in to them, in my opinion. Bun, damn good burger, cheese, max two sauces, max two extra items (bacon, salads, whatever).

I've had so many pretentious, "gourmet" burgers recently, and between the burger patty being the size and shape of a hockeyball, the bun being floury which dries out the roof of your mouth. 5 additional ingredients half of which falls out, or burgers which once you pick it up you have to finish it because its structural integrity won't survive being picked up more than once.

I'm getting a bit fed up paying for stuff in a bar or restaurant which I can make a better version of at home for a third of the price. I've stopped getting Caesar Salad when out. I've had more than one when out and got charged 13 euros for the privilege which was inferior to my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Way too many flavours going on in that burger for my palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't add anything to the patties. I make two small balls of mince, place them between two sheets of cling film and squash them down until they're a few millimetres thin. Fry 'em on the pan, stick an easy single in between, and stick it on a sweet, seedless bun. Add a slice of onion, lettuce, ketchup and Mayo, and it's perfect!

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    It also looks a lot bigger than 7cm tall. At 5cm wide is it not closer to a slider than a burger?
    Yeah it is a slider size bun. In the video I linked she makes it and its ridiculously tall, then in the next shot it suddenly all squished down and she measures it at 7cm. If it was a in a mini bun you might manage it if squished, I don't like big slabs of cold tomato in burgers.
    L1011 wrote: »
    In the video it may as well be "how not to make a burger" when you see her attempting to eat the thing. There is no way you can take an even bite, you have to take bites all around it attacking it. She has to put it in a wrap/bag so it does not all spill out. A burger is a form of sandwich, IMO meant to be able to be eaten by hand.
    syklops wrote: »
    I've had so many pretentious, "gourmet" burgers recently
    It's like they are told it must look as different from mcdonalds or BK burgers as possible.

This list was on broadsheet a while ago. Many towering or messy looking ones, the only one I liked the look of was the batterburger type one.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/02/big-apple-burgers/

Korzos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rubadub wrote: »

In the video it may as well be "how not to make a burger" when you see her attempting to eat the thing. There is no way you can take an even bite, you have to take bites all around it attacking it. She has to put it in a wrap/bag so it does not all spill out. A burger is a form of sandwich, IMO meant to be able to be eaten by hand.
    Agreed. If you need a knife and fork it's not a burger: it's a meat patty, bread roll, and salad. I loathe and detest those ones that need a foot-long skewer to stay together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a confession to make :
    If (and it's a pretty big if) the quality of the patty was better and it wasn't over cooked, a whopper would be my perfect burger.

It has the perfect combination of bread, salad, burger, sauce for me and the patty is the right thickness. If only the patty was tastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Faith wrote: »
    I know I'll be in a minority here, but bacon has no place in a burger (or Serrano ham, in this particular burger).

I'll up your bacon and claim that cheese has no place in a burger! Does nothing for me. Cheese and beef don't go together as far as I'm concerned but if you insist on cheese, there must be bacon too.

After all this talk of whoppers, bacon and cheese I'm seriously tempted to try cancel my preordered 'healthy' lunch and get the Luas down to BK for an XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger is a thing of beauty. I haven't had one in so long.

The burger in the OP looks rubbish. Way way too much going on. My perfect burger would have cheese (mature cheddar, crappy American, Gruyère, anything like that really) and smoked streaky bacon and a dab of ketchup. That's the great thing about burgers though. Everyone's perfect burger will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

*adds Angus burgers to this evening's Aldi list*

*adds Angus burgers to this evening's Aldi list*

Unless you like extremely rare burgers, depress the middle slightly if you're grilling them or else you'll be there all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is there a thread somewhere with peoples' recipes for homemade burgers by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is there a thread somewhere with peoples' recipes for homemade burgers by any chance?

A quick forum search yields a couple. The most recent started as a debate about shop bought vs home made but there are some recipes and tips in there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057453565

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82715933

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This thread has a bad influence on me. I went to Frite Haus for lunch yesterday and had an absolutely amazing cheeseburger. I'm still thinking about how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

When I'm making burgers its just salt, pepper, tiny bit of garlic power and some mixed herbs. It just adds a slight savory flavor to the meat. I've tried adding other things but always go back to that. A little bit of colemans mustard is nice too. And I agree with what someone said above, adding a bit of pork mince makes a nicer burger...same goes for when you're making meatballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm going to say that a slice of tomato completely ruins a burger. The tomatoes in Ireland are mainly brutal. Damp, gritty, slightly yellow. Makes your bun soggy and either cools the burger down because it's been in the bloody fridge (don't fridge your toms people!) or they have heated it to molten lava levels and it burns you while sticking limply but persistently to your face.

The one in the photo is going to squirt juice at me, I can see it eying my white shirt up from here.

My burgers are good mince (aged meat, reasonable fat content) seasoning, and a super hot pan or bbq. I want plenty of tasty crust on the outside, I flatten it while cooking to get more delicious crust. A teeny few flecks of black char adds to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm going to say that a slice of tomato completely ruins a burger.

A slice of tomato completely ruins everything. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've found the following method to be great:

Mix meat with ketchup (or relish), a little salt/pepper, mustard, softened diced onion, and here's the secret - a little cinnamon.

Shape the burgers by hand, press both sides down into some flour, and chill for up to an hour before frying.

You can also add in cubed cheese - these kinda burgers are best baked though.

Makes your bun soggy and either cools the burger down because it's been in the bloody fridge
    I have come close to spitting out burgers after taking a bite and hitting a cold wet tomato tomato slice, it seems like such an alien thing to be in the burger that I fear it must be something there by mistake. Like if you got bone in mince you might automatically stop chewing the moment you sense it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm going to say that a slice of tomato completely ruins a burger. The tomatoes in Ireland are mainly brutal. Damp, gritty, slightly yellow. Makes your bun soggy and either cools the burger down because it's been in the bloody fridge (don't fridge your toms people!) or they have heated it to molten lava levels and it burns you while sticking limply but persistently to your face.

+1 on this, I've been pulling cold wet tomatoes off burgers for years now. I love tomatoes in salads and all sorts of other things but I could never get the obsession of having one on a burger. For me it just doesnt go.

I've been experimenting with burgers all summer. Red onion and egg are staples, after that I add any combination of dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, hickory liquid smoke, tabasco sauce or chilis in adobo. All variations tasted great, except for the time I used cheap high fat mince.

On toppings I think simplicity is best. Shredded iceberg lettuce below the burger and cheese on top. I love a couple of slices of smoked applewood cheese on a burger, it goes really well when just slightly melted. Also at €1.38 for 185g in Tesco its a bargain!

Does anyone use a burger press at all? I was thinking of getting one of these as they can sculpt the burger to a pre-defined size. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weston-Burger-eXpress-Ejector-Emboss/dp/B00KB4GKU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441980146&sr=8-2&keywords=weston+burger+press
    I just sculpt by hand now which is fine but I want to try stuffing burgers. I also want to try the holy grail of a rare burger but with good char on the outside

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    A slice of tomato completely ruins everything. :pac:

Big Mac - No tomato.
    XL Bacon Double Cheese - no tomato.
    Supermacs Smoky Bacon burger - feckin tomato in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I've recently deduced giving the whole bun and burger a quick microwave is an important step for the slightly soggy warm burger in a wrap experiance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement