Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Perfect Burger ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Even though I don't usually like tomato on my burger, that actually looks quite yummy, if it weren't for the fact that they left the frickin pip on the top of it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Noblong wrote: »
    I've recently deduced giving the whole bun and burger a quick microwave is an important step for the slightly soggy warm burger in a wrap experiance.
    I put a tight fitting bowl over mine with the burger on a small place, or stick it in a sandwich bag. I sometimes give it a quick blast in the microwave with the bowl over it, so it does not get the full whack of the microwave which can destroy bread in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Even though I don't usually like tomato on my burger, that actually looks quite yummy, if it weren't for the fact that they left the frickin pip on the top of it! :mad:

That burgers a real fad now. I've seen a clip where they serve it with the rest of the tomato chopped up as a side with some salad becuase people naturally wonder where the rest of the their tomato is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I spent a bit of time working on my burgers recently, and I think I've nailed it now. At least for my liking. I prefer the American style of cooking burgers, and the below is based on that.

Beef mince, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a little cumin/coriander & smoked paprika. Sometimes I'll use an egg if I'm BBQing outside and I think the burger needs more coherence. Divide & shape into patties, not very thick.

I've given up on adding onion to burger mix, and I'd never ever add breadcrumbs.

I heat cast iron pan to high and then turn down towards medium. Put the burgers on, and cover so they broil a little. Flip as needed and press down. They only need a few mins cooking so they stay juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

A good burger has nothing in it. Just prime beef with salt and pepper. It's all about the toppings. Personally I enjoy a fried egg and bacon on my burgers and saurekraut for a bit of zing. Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dud, don't press down, you'll squeeze all that lovely juiciness out of the burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

vicwatson wrote: »
    Dud, don't press down, you'll squeeze all that lovely juiciness out of the burger.

Over cooking is what takes the juiciness out, not pressing down! Pressing helps keep the burger even. I've never had a dry burger since I adopted my technique above. If anything, they're too juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For me, the burger is just minced beef, a touch of salt & pepper, dash of Worcestershire sauce. White cheddar melted on top at the end of cooking.

Stick it in a plain bun - lightly toasted with a scrape of Colmans mustard on the bottom & a squirt of ketchup on the top, burger topped with finely sliced onion & pickles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Size matters -a good thick 6-8oz burger - cooked from frozen -well done on the outside very juicy in middle

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dudara wrote: »
    Over cooking is what takes the juiciness out, not pressing down! Pressing helps keep the burger even. I've never had a dry burger since I adopted my technique above. If anything, they're too juicy.

Ah here. Pressing down squeezes the juice out of the meat. Period. Every dude will tell you that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've taken to pressing my burgers.
    Heat burger press and pan.
    Toast bun.
    Drop ball of meat into pan.
    Press ball fo meat really flat.
    Dress bun.
    Flip piece of meat.
    Confirm bun is fully dressed.
    Put meat on bun.

The meat probably spends less than 3mins cooking and is pretty juicy (im pretty sure mayo doesnt leave see through juices with globs of fat in them on the plate)

I usually form burgers so they are thinner in the middle and I sometimes build up the edges to be very thick. This means when they are cooked they end up being a more uniform thickness throughout.

I saw some people put an hole in the middle, like this, not just pressing it down a bit which many do.

buregr-patty-224x300.jpg

This worked well, the burger did not belly up at all in the middle which it usually does for me, and usually needs to be punctured to let the fat out (I use high fat mince). The hole shrinks up and nearly disappears. I imagine this might be good if you prefer medium or rare burgers so the middle is not overly raw and can be more even throughout.

While looking for photos I see people make bigger holes and put eggs in.
    mk-9304.jpg
    3aa23aa2afe73a513051135a70a49863.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    3aa23aa2afe73a513051135a70a49863.jpg

Homer-Simpson-Drooling-while-Sleeping-314x300.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've just read this thread from start to finish and am beyond jonesing for a burger now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This thread reminds me of people who eat burgers with a knife and a fork. There's a special place in hell for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    This worked well, the burger did not belly up at all in the middle which it usually does for me, and usually needs to be punctured to let the fat out (I use high fat mince). The hole shrinks up and nearly disappears. I imagine this might be good if you prefer medium or rare burgers so the middle is not overly raw and can be more even throughout.

I heavily, heavily dimple the middle (without going through) and put the dimpled side down first - gets this result, without a hole, and reduces any risk of sticking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Billy86 wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of people who eat burgers with a knife and a fork. There's a special place in hell for them.

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I totally laughed out loud. Aaaah my poor mammy in law :D

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    I totally laughed out loud. Aaaah my poor mammy in law :D

That and pizza; it's bloody madness! Obviously slice the pizza, and if you insist/if it is a particularly big or messy burger feel free to slice it down the middle into two smaller/more manageable ones. But cutting it up like a steak?

Die. Just f***ing die!!!! :mad: :mad:

I'm guilty of eating burgers with a knife and fork. And pizza. Sometimes even sandwiches. :o

I'm guilty of eating burgers with a knife and fork. And pizza. Sometimes even sandwiches. :o

Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you Dutch? They do this all the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Billy86 wrote: »

In a lot of restaurants, this is a necessity though with them not being handheld devices in a lot of places now. :(

I think restaurants want to be seen to be giving good value, but forget the very essence of a good burger. They should split the burger into two sliders. Same value but can be eaten the way a burger is supposed to be.

Alun wrote: »
    Are you Dutch? They do this all the time :D

Nope totally Irish. I've no excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I was in Green 19 a while ago and my friends were laughing at me for eating my pastrami sandwich with a fork and knife. :o

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I think restaurants want to be seen to be giving good value, but forget the very essence of a good burger.
    +1, seems they are told to make something which looks as far removed from a whopper or mcd's quarter with cheese as possible. Trying to make them look all fancy and forgetting its meant to be a type of sandwich eaten with the hands. It'd be like purposely making a phone hard to use.

Only 1 or 2 of these look manageable.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/02/big-apple-burgers/

Eating some of these "burgers" your hands would be like eating a lasagne with your hands, which would probably not go down well.

BK now wrap whoppers in such a way that it can be eaten with the wrapper in place to hold stuff in.

This was a spoof ad they had with holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The perfect burger.

Mince that is AT LEAST 15% fat, preferably closer to 20%, a mixture of shortrib, chuck and brisket is my prefered blend. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Form it into a wide, thin patty, seared in a cast iron pan that has been left to get screamingly hot and then finished to a decent medium in an oven and let rest for about 5 minutes on a warm plate under an upturned bowl (put your cheese on now if you like cheese).

Serve is on something like a brioche bun or a nice blaa, basically something soft with decent elasticity rather than a crusty bread.

Mustard on the bottom slice, ketchup on the top, sautéed onions and pickles at your leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Folks Bunsen on Wexford St and Temple Bar. Deeeeelish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mice

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

:eek:

No idea what you're on about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

So what kind of spices/herbs do they add to the patties in butcher shops?
    Always seem that bit tastier whatever it is!

Advertisement