Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total confusion, trying to link horizon box and Asus RT N65U together.

Options
  • 29-08-2015 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there, is it actually possible to link the UPC horizon box, to a Asus RT 56U?

The RT 56U has a WDS section, that has instructions as follows:

To enable WDS to extend the wireless signal, please follow these steps :
    Select [WDS Only] or [Hybrid] mode and add MAC address of APs in Remote AP List.

Ensure that this wireless router and the AP you want to connect to use the same channel.

Key in the remote AP mac in the remote AP list and open the remote AP's WDS management interface, key in the this router's MAC address.

To get the best performance, please go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > General and assign the same channel bandwidth, control channel, and extension channel to every router in the network.

I followed these as best I could, the only place on the Horizon box I could find to enter a MAC address, was in the 'Radio' Section, where it had an 'Allow' list.

But after that I've no idea what is meant to happen, or where to go from there.

What I want to happen is to use the Asus router, to connect to the Horizon Box network, so as to get the internet connection and spread it around upstairs, so basically to use the Asus as an extender upstairs.

But I'm actually clueless ultimately how to do this.

Could someone help me out?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It would help if you told us exactly what you wanted to achieve? Do you have the Asus connected to the main router by cable or wish to do it wirelessly. You do realise that if you want it to connect wirelessly (repeating) you will half the speed of your wireless network just by being there, running a cable to it is a much better option

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Hi there sorry.

Yea I essentially want it to connect it wirelessly to my Horizon Box wireless network, so that it will act as a repeater, so as to further the range of the signal around the house.

There is no point running a cable, because that defeats the purpose I had in mind. If I run a cable I can only keep it in the same room as the Horizon box, and the Asus still doesn't cover the range I need. I actually think I may have gotten a faulty one, as the range on it, especially on the 5ghz is not great at all.

Also I would like the router to join the Horizon Box network so that all my devices on the network can communicate with each other.

Many thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Adren wrote: »
    Hi there sorry.

Yea I essentially want it to connect it wirelessly to my Horizon Box wireless network, so that it will act as a repeater, so as to further the range of the signal around the house.

There is no point running a cable, because that defeats the purpose I had in mind. If I run a cable I can only keep it in the same room as the Horizon box, and the Asus still doesn't cover the range I need. I actually think I may have gotten a faulty one, as the range on it, especially on the 5ghz is not great at all.

Also I would like the router to join the Horizon Box network so that all my devices on the network can communicate with each other.

Many thanks for your time.

I think you will need a custom firmware to do repeating on that Asus, it's a router.

5ghz has half the range of 2.4ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You bought an N65 to act as a repeater? Le sigh...

Its designed be repeated, not to repeat. And repeating is always the last option. Go buy some homeplugs and setup the 65 as a wired access point, that'll make for a decent setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Thanks Ed, took your advise.

I now have the Asus N65 connected to the horizon box via Homeplugs. So now the N65 is upstairs, and serving the whole house just about. The homeplugs limit my 100mb to 40mb, but it doesn't matter since the most the wireless is able to pump out is roughly 20mb to the the areas that my different pieces of equipment are in.

Bit crap really since I have paid for 100mb pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ethernet is stil king for a reason. Next time.yyou're doing home improvements you know what to do ;)

Advertisement