Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid Marathon

Options
  • 29-08-2015 9:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on here ever done this? I'm strongly considering this for a Spring marathon, the main thing putting me off is that Rock n Roll group took it over and now run it.
    Barcelona and Seville also in the running but I've never been to Madrid. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Anyone on here ever done this? I'm strongly considering this for a Spring marathon, the main thing putting me off is that Rock n Roll group took it over and now run it.
    Barcelona and Seville also in the running but I've never been to Madrid. :pac:

I've ran it. As with all Spanish races it is extremely well run and I couldn't fault the organisation although it wasn't under the rock 'n' groan umbrella when I did it. It's a tough enough course, lots of rolling hills. Madrid is a great city to visit but if you're looking for a PB Barcelona or Seville would be better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

As above, it's well organised and Madrid is a nice city to visit for a weekend. The course is pretty tough with the last 10 km being mostly up hill although they've changed the route in the last couple of years to avoid the steepest climbs at the end. It's run on mostly big wide streets so congestion isn't a problem

It's on April 24th so the weather can go either way. It's easily possible to have midday temperatures around 25º or equally you it could rain and be closer to 15º

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks folks. Hmmm...maybe strike Madrid off my list based on that.
    Reapplied Rotterdam to the list for a pb attempt marathon, few from the club usually go there every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I can't say enough good things about Valencia but in your case it is probably the wrong time of year (November)?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

I did it this year. As mentioned above, it's very well organised, great city to visit, streets are very wide throughout, weather could go either way though. It was 25 degrees the week before and we were beginning to panic. Poured rain all day the morning of the race and it was freezing. Using broken English we got a few bin liners from the local McDonalds.

It was my first marathon so I've no frame of reference but the support on the course was brilliant. Can only imagine what it would be like on a sunny day. The bands every mile are a novelty too. The underground is excellent and makes it easy for supporters to see you at a number of points along the route.

Course is tough, going by the pacers the second half is much slower than the first. 3'15" balloon went through halfway in ~1'33".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    I can't say enough good things about Valencia but in your case it is probably the wrong time of year (November)?

Yep, I'm looking for a Spring marathon. I tried running 300m at faster than 8 minute mile pace last week and I swear, I thought I was dying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

MalDoc wrote: »
    Course is tough, going by the pacers the second half is much slower than the first. 3'15" balloon went through halfway in ~1'33".

They sound like awful pacers.

Advertisement