Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 hornet

Options
  • 29-08-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

anyone using a .17 hornet for fox shooting. i am thinking of changing my
    hmr. would i be better off getting a .223 . also is there much of a
    differance in ammo price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Meant to be a very flat hard hitting round but the ammo is the same price if not more expensive than the 223 and not every dealer has some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

UK price from the importers, Edgar Bros is/was £89.99 (per 100) two years ago.

The Gun Mart review noted that it was an even £1 a pop...

Would I be right in assuming that you pay less than that for .223 stuff?

Seems pretty expensive to me..........

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tac foley wrote: »
    UK price from the importers, Edgar Bros is/was £89.99 (per 100) two years ago.

The Gun Mart review noted that it was an even £1 a pop...

I only seen it on the range at €14 per box or €0.70 per round. The price above works out (exchange, etc) at €25 per box or €1.25 per round.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

In that case, you are getting it way cheaper than the shooters in the UK. I suggest that you stock up.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Cass wrote: »
    I only seen it on the range at €14 per box or €0.70 per round. The price above works out (exchange, etc) at €25 per box or €1.25 per round.

Hi cass, I didn't know there were other makes of .17 hornet other than what hornady make. I am paying €27-28 for boxes of 25. I would like to try out that other ammo. If I could get it for €0.70 per round and it was fairly good ammo I would be happy out.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. V. interesting price, but then S&B has some VERY keen prices for its ammunition, almost half that of the major makers from the west and USA. I often shoot their 6.5x55 FMJ to get more cases - the brass is pretty good stuff.

I'd be interested to know how much Hornady ammunition for the .17 Hornet costs in the average Irish gun-store, though. Probably nearer the UK price? Kelslat's quotes certainly are just about spot-on for those in my local store for Hornady....

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tac foley wrote: »
    Hmmm. V. interesting price, but then S&B has some VERY keen prices for its ammunition, almost half that of the major makers from the west and USA. I often shoot their 6.5x55 FMJ to get more cases - the brass is pretty good stuff.

I'd be interested to know how much Hornady ammunition for the .17 Hornet costs in the average Irish gun-store, though. Probably nearer the UK price? Kelslat's quotes certainly are just about spot-on for those in my local store for Hornady....

tac
    S&B can be got for 17 euro a box.

skipking wrote: »
    anyone using a .17 hornet for fox shooting. i am thinking of changing my
    hmr. would i be better off getting a .223 . also is there much of a
    differance in ammo price

just bought one waiting for substitution to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

where did you buy your rifle deerhunter1 . and the best of luck with it

skipking wrote: »
    where did you buy your rifle deerhunter1 . and the best of luck with it

Mike duggen

• Advertisement

just bought one waiting for substitution to arrive

In the image posted by Cass it's only 14.75eu a box.

I'll see what my local store is selling it for - IF they are selling it.

Nobody I know in our club has one so far, and many are vermin shooters, some of them profis.

tac

Mike duggen

A RE barrelled hornet

S&B can be got for 17 euro a box.

Your right there. I have just found out open season in nenagh have that ammunition for €17 per box.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

I know who owed that rifle but not personally

I know who owed that rifle but not personally

Ya so do I

I got a few boxes of the sellier and bellot and i'm very happy with them. They shot as good as the hornady. It was a fine evening yesterday and i fired a few shots, they grouped just under an inch and a quarter at 150 yards. It might not be as good as what some of ye lads can do but i am happy with it. Now just have start calling in the foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

kelslat wrote: »
    I got a few boxes of the sellier and bellot and i'm very happy with them. They shot as good as the hornady. It was a fine evening yesterday and i fired a few shots, they grouped just under an inch and a quarter at 150 yards. It might not be as good as what some of ye lads can do but i am happy with it. Now just have start calling in the foxes.

Excellent stuff Kelslat. It would appear that the 17 hornet is catching on.

Excellent stuff Kelslat. It would appear that the 17 hornet is catching on.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

watched a review on this rifle man shot a fox out to 200 yards stoned dead dropped on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Just waiting for my own hornet to be re-barreled. Does anybody know of ammunition supply in Dublin or South East?

• Advertisement

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Just waiting for my own hornet to be re-barreled. Does anybody know of ammunition supply in Dublin or South East?
    I know open season in nenagh will deliver the ammunition. Buy more than three boxes and it works out at 16 euro per box plus the delivery price.

kelslat wrote: »
    I know open season in nenagh will deliver the ammunition. Buy more than three boxes and it works out at 16 euro per box plus the delivery price.

yep

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you have difficulty getting them, the Midlands range does them for €14.75 per box.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

has anyone seen a .17 hornet rifle in a dealers?

Advertisement