Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was Bobby Mcgee's called before it was called that?

Options
  • 29-08-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

There are some questions that even Google doesn't know.

What pub was in Bobby Mcgees before it. Not Temple Bar, that was after!

I've searched the 'things you miss about Waterford' thread and I can't find it, though I'm sure it was mentioned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There are some questions that even Google doesn't know.

What pub was in Bobby Mcgees before it. Not Temple Bar, that was after!

I've searched the 'things you miss about Waterford' thread and I can't find it, though I'm sure it was mentioned.

the crystal bar ? or was that after

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Was it Stevie Lawlors. Remember drinking in there years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

molby wrote: »
    Was it Stevie Lawlors. Remember drinking in there years ago.

Lawlors is right. Then Bobbys. Then Temple Bar or maybe something in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Lawlors!!!!

Its amazing how something like that drives you made and you can't just google it.

Any idea when it became Bobby Mcgees. I 'may' have been a bit under age drinking in Lawlor's, but it couldn't have been before 1994 could it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No 12 Michael St.

The building has a great history.

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WA&regno=22501372
    Description
    Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1880, on a corner site retaining original fenestration with three-bay three-storey side elevation to north. Renovated, c.1980, with replacement wrap-around pubfront inserted to ground floor. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on profiled rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 1/1 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Replacement timber wrap-around pubfront, c.1980, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, timber panelled double doors, and timber fascia over with consoles and dentilated cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

Appraisal
    This house is an attractive building of balanced proportions that occupies an important corner site linking Michael Street with Alexander Street. The house retains important original salient features and materials while the replacement pubfront, apparently designed with references to traditional forms, serves to complement the entire scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

For a while it was called Da Vinci's after it was Temple Bar

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Lawlors!!!!

Its amazing how something like that drives you made and you can't just google it.

Any idea when it became Bobby Mcgees. I 'may' have been a bit under age drinking in Lawlor's, but it couldn't have been before 1994 could it?

I had a pint in Lawlors around 1987 or 1988. Not sure when it changed hands or names.

Was it called Nineteen at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah it was Lawlor's, his son was in school with me in St Stephen's and he'd head down the hill to the pub for his lunch every day!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah it was Lawlor's, his son was in school with me in St Stephen's and he'd head down the hill to the pub for his lunch every day!
    One of them drowned shortly after leaving school.

Advertisement