Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipped Disc. Private guestimate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

goz83 wrote: »
    I hope I don't get kept in too long. I would love to be done on a Sunday and out on the Monday, but I will have to wait and see. I wonder how long I will be waiting before being called in.

I was sitting down last night in a pile of paper work. I haven't organised my filing in over a year and I decided I had to get to it. My Brother in Law is a regular visitor and walks our dogs pretty much every day. He handed me an envelope and said "it's for your back". Well, i'm not one for refusing a gift, but I don't know what to do on this occasion. I haven't opened the envelope and don't know how much is in it. Could be €100, could be €1000. The amount is not really the point, but rather the fact that my Dad has already agreed to cover it. I know I would do the same thing, but I haven't been in this position before. I don't want to refuse it, because I know it was done with a warm heart and money means zero to him, but at the same time, I want to hand it back, thank him and ask him to put it to better use. :confused::confused:

When I had my 2 microdiskectomies, Paraic O'Neill was well known for keeping his patients in for 3 or 4 days while the other neurosurgeons were doing 1 or 2 nights, so if I were a betting person & working on the basis of a primary uncomplicated microdiskectomy I think you're looking at a max of 2 nights.

Re your gift - well it sounds to me like you have a good relationship with your BIL & I agree the amount is somewhat irrelevant however in order that no misunderstandings happen now or in the future, you need to be open with him that your dad has agreed to fund the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Spook_ie wrote: »
    When I had my 2 microdiskectomies, Paraic O'Neill was well known for keeping his patients in for 3 or 4 days while the other neurosurgeons were doing 1 or 2 nights, so if I were a betting person & working on the basis of a primary uncomplicated microdiskectomy I think you're looking at a max of 2 nights.

Re your gift - well it sounds to me like you have a good relationship with your BIL & I agree the amount is somewhat irrelevant however in order that no misunderstandings happen now or in the future, you need to be open with him that your dad has agreed to fund the op.

Everyone knows this. It's been no secret....it's even on boards ;)

I think for the time being, I will just leave it, unopened in the envelope. If there is a genuine need, I will accept it. Otherwise, i will find a way to give it back without insulting him.

And yeah, I get on well with my inlaws. My other BIL works for/with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

I had microdiskectomy with Poynton in the Mater Private. My surgery failed. Its been 1 year since that surgery, I've had other surgery and am still in the same pain as I was before any of the surgeries.

My experience is that surgery brings its own problems and its a hard road to recover from it....The other thing is that most of the populate is walking around with herniated discs which are dehydrated, this pops up on the MRI scanner and they think fixing the disc will fix the problem. What I've discovered after my surgery is that they go in and they're not really sure if it will work or not. Really listen to them when they tell you surgery may not work.... I was so optimistic that I would be back to normal after the surgery, I was wrong.

If I had my time again, I'd think very long and hard about letting any of them never me. I'm presuming they have done the cortisone injections into the disc or epidural space in your spine?

I think my surgery was about 10K and I stayed in the Mater Private (the worst hospital, do not go there) for 2 very long and painful night.
    They left me in agony and would only offer me paracetamol for my pain, eventually they gave me a sleeping tablet to shut me up. I'm not a wimp to pain, I'm an endurance athlete so for me to be crying and biting a pillow meant it was bad.
    Recovery from this surgery was very painful, I was off my feet for 5 weeks and I needed someone to take care of me. They offer you piss poor rehab after surgery so you'll need to line up your own rehab physio for the next 6 months post surgery to ensure you are recovered properly.

As for the surgeons, never forget that these guys are running a business and they arent there to heal the world and they certain dont give too sh*ts about you either. Keep that in mind when dealing with them. You are a pay check, nothing more.

The Mater discharged me without adequate pain management (they sent me home with paracetamol, I could hardly walk) so make sure your GP is around or get a prescription for proper pain medication, sleeping tablets etc...
    They'll prescribe you some anti inflammatories, probably difene... tell them you need lopaz with it, your stomach will thank you and given what they have just done to your spine, you are not going to be in any condition to deal with the sever constipation the anti inflammatories are going to do to you.

Anyways good luck! I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

IlmoNT4 wrote: »
    I had microdiskectomy with Poynton in the Mater Private. My surgery failed. Its been 1 year since that surgery, I've had other surgery and am still in the same pain as I was before any of the surgeries.

My experience is that surgery brings its own problems and its a hard road to recover from it....The other thing is that most of the populate is walking around with herniated discs which are dehydrated, this pops up on the MRI scanner and they think fixing the disc will fix the problem. What I've discovered after my surgery is that they go in and they're not really sure if it will work or not. Really listen to them when they tell you surgery may not work.... I was so optimistic that I would be back to normal after the surgery, I was wrong.

If I had my time again, I'd think very long and hard about letting any of them never me. I'm presuming they have done the cortisone injections into the disc or epidural space in your spine?

I think my surgery was about 10K and I stayed in the Mater Private (the worst hospital, do not go there) for 2 very long and painful night.
    They left me in agony and would only offer me paracetamol for my pain, eventually they gave me a sleeping tablet to shut me up. I'm not a wimp to pain, I'm an endurance athlete so for me to be crying and biting a pillow meant it was bad.
    Recovery from this surgery was very painful, I was off my feet for 5 weeks and I needed someone to take care of me. They offer you piss poor rehab after surgery so you'll need to line up your own rehab physio for the next 6 months post surgery to ensure you are recovered properly.

As for the surgeons, never forget that these guys are running a business and they arent there to heal the world and they certain dont give too sh*ts about you either. Keep that in mind when dealing with them. You are a pay check, nothing more.

The Mater discharged me without adequate pain management (they sent me home with paracetamol, I could hardly walk) so make sure your GP is around or get a prescription for proper pain medication, sleeping tablets etc...
    They'll prescribe you some anti inflammatories, probably difene... tell them you need lopaz with it, your stomach will thank you and given what they have just done to your spine, you are not going to be in any condition to deal with the sever constipation the anti inflammatories are going to do to you.

That's dreadful. Do you mind me asking what reason you were given for the failure?
    I totally relate to the aftercare, or lack of. I'm lucky, my discectomy was a success, but it took me a full year to be totally pain free and I received no support at all from my consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

If there was ever a piece of advice written that should be heeded is the above post ...we hold doctors in "Duff the Cap" mode

i met an amazing doctor on a pain mangment course years ago and after three weeks of waiting for him (it was a 6 week course)

he arrived with no shoes on ,cup of tea in hand ,open neck shirt
    sat down and said ,i have no interest in making you well while i have golf fees to pay..and if you think your faith should be placed in medical companys to produce the drugs to stop the pain then why would they put themselves out of bussiness by giving you them drugs

they dont care about your pain ,only there profits

• Advertisement

OMG...the old expression "Doctor's difer & patient's die" springs to mind. My experience with Mr O'Neill in the Mater Private was completely different, he kept me in for 4 nights as I was in alot of pain and wouldnt let me out until I had adequate pain control. I have to say I only found the first 2 weeks tough and by my 4 week checkup I felt 90% better and only had a little bit of pain. Unfortunately I had a terrible experience with a knee guy in the Hermitage who messed up my knee, he was only interested in trying to get me out the door so he could go and play a squash match. I have to say that experience has made me wiser in choosing a surgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭IlmoNT4

My surgery failed because after 5 months post op I wasnt getting any better, I was getting worse and worse by the day (I mean serious, god awful pain 24/7). Poynton had me back in the MRI scanner a bunch of times and the disc looked good. On my third trip into the MRI scanner (this is the other thing that cracks me up, they wouldnt put you in and just scan the entire spine, hell no, they wanted the 500 euro insurance and your 70 euro contribution from you, if they had you in there once, well thats only 570 euro compared to the five times I was in that thing..) they finally scanned my hips and discovered a problem there. Poynton wiped his hands as he's not a hip guy and I started the whole process with another surgeon who diagnosed a hip condition and told me pretty much to take up pilates. (remember I'm really into sports and before I went near any hospitals had been paying for

-private physio
    -private physio rehab pilates every week, twice a week for 8 months which only made things worse.

Then I went to the SSC out in Santry (top notch hospital, I couldnt speak more highly of how they treat you), they went in to fix the hip. That was a much better experience and the after care I received at the SSC was excellent. However 6 months later, and a truck load of money, I'm still in exactly the same pain as I was before. I was in the SSC during the week and they told me theres nothing more they can do for me, they dont know why I'm still in pain.
    Its back to the GP this week and hopefully he'll have some ideas on where to take this next because no one can continue living the way I've lived and am currently living. I have a suspicion I'm heading for long term pain management solution with something I'm going to live with rather than get better.

I guess to the OP who was looking for a price to have this surgery, if you dont have insurance be prepared for all the unexpected spends you'll need to make.

-Your going to need a physio for at least 6 months, once a week - 70 euro
    -Pain meds - I was spending about 50 euro a week for the past 2 years
    -If the surgery fails and they need to go in again, they wouldnt do that for free, you'll need to pony up (I know someone who took out a bank loan for surgery, it failed and she ended up with a 20K band debt for her troubles)
    -You'll be in and out of the GP's like a yo-yo - factor in 1 visit a month
    - 250 euro every time you see the surgeon, if something goes wrong and you need to see him more than once.
    -You might end up back in the MRI scanner... 70 euro a pop if you have insurance, 570 euro if you dont.
    -More Xrays - 70 euro a pop
    -Any pain management injections - 150 euro a pop with insurance, not sure how much they are without.

Before you decide on surgery, make sure they scan everything, tell them you want an MRI of your entire spine and hips. I walked into Poynton and because I had the exact same symptoms as someone with a disc problem he ordered a scan and remember most of the population is walking around with herniated disc, they found a herniated disc and we all though, fantastic, they'll go in, I'll be fixed and back to normal life. They are operating on best guesses... I really didnt understand how little they understand about whats happening.

Anyways its a lot of money and I'm "lucky" that I have insurance but its a very big financial drain especially if you dont have it.

Anyways its a lot of money and I'm "lucky" that I have insurance but its a very big financial drain especially if you dont have it.

Thanks for posting your experience. I'm a bit more optimistic about having surgery now. I believe I will recover quickly and become healthier than I was before the accident, because I know appreciate what I lost. I had almost reached my weight goal, coming from 102KG to 91KG, I was 3KG from my weight goal and then planned to work on my lean muscle. I have gone back over the 100KG mark and think I am about 104KG, so I want to be able to go back to the gym eventually and get myself back on track.

I am also a big believer in law of attraction. Call it intuition, or precognition, or whatever, but the day before the accident I was in, I was planning to drive my car one last time before putting it into storage and drive a boring mondeo. So, on the last leg of the journey that day WHAAM. I was still for a few moments before my car received a right whollop and had no idea that I was so badly damaged myself. Well, the car was written off, but I insisted on getting it repaired, even though I couldn't drive it from my injuries. People said it couldn't be fixed and would cost thousands to to it. It was fixed for a good price and the car looks like new.....as an ornament in my front garden.

I have to believe that the surgery will improve things. Pain meds never worked. I don't have health insurance and physio is €55 per session. Sure, I would rather not be in this situation at all, but I am and I try to be positive. The cold beer I am drinking and the immersion heating my bath water is just more self soothing :D

Looks like I will be waiting longer than I wanted. I have a consultation with Mr Kelleher toward the end of October, but only a couple of days before my wifes due date. Because of the length of time since my last MRI scan, I now need to have all three done again (C, T & L). The secretary is sending the referral to the clinic for me. I am going to email and ask for any sooner dates under the circumstances. It's just too close to the due date for me. But I wouldn't want to push it back either.

Looks like I will be waiting longer than I wanted. I have a consultation with Mr Kelleher toward the end of October, but only a couple of days before my wifes due date. Because of the length of time since my last MRI scan, I now need to have all three done again (C, T & L). The secretary is sending the referral to the clinic for me. I am going to email and ask for any sooner dates under the circumstances. It's just too close to the due date for me. But I wouldn't want to push it back either.

Thats a bit longer than I thought it would be, you'll probably be waiting about 10 days for the MRI & I'm sure if you explain your circumstances Mr Kelleher could see your earlier

• Advertisement

So I had an MRI scan on my Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar spine today and have an appointment this week with Kelleher.

Over the past couple of days, I wasn't feeling much pain compared to normal, so I was having that false sense of "I don't need surgery", but not long after the MRI I had a bit of a scare. After driving home, I attempted to get out of the car and I had a really uncomfortable sensation inside the left inner butt cheek. It was like a burning, tingling numbness. My heart nearly stopped as I thought "i'm gonna s**t myself". Thankfully, I didn't and the feeling subsided. I rang my doc about it and he suggested I may have aggravated the nerves having three scans done in a row.

I looked at the MRI and if anything, it's worse, but I will leave that up to the experts. I've started to get tension headaches from the neck pain, or lack of sleep and I am just now praying to be pain free. Well, I will update when I meet with Kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can I ask how long the gap from your last MRI was that you needed to have them redone? I had one done in July but my appointment with the consultant is not until January so am thinking I might need them redone :(

Can I ask how long the gap from your last MRI was that you needed to have them redone? I had one done in July but my appointment with the consultant is not until January so am thinking I might need them redone :(

I had my Lumbar and Cervical spine done in June 2014 and then my Thoracic done in December. They wanted all 3 redone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks - hope it works out for you! Can totally empathise with the tension headaches from the neck pain :(

Met with Kelleher. Have surgery scheduled for November. It would have been October, but it's too close to my wifes due date. The man is straight up, no bull. I like him. He pointed out that there is a proven lower success rate for the operation, where litigation is ongoing. I understand this, but in my case, I would have to say that my success will not be affected by litigation. After all, if I remained as I am, without having surgery, or waiting on the waiting list, I would end up with higher compensation. I just want to be well again. I wouldn't sell my health for any amount of money. I don't understand why anyone would prolong pain for monetary gain. It's pathetic, but I got the impression that Kelleher sees it all the time. I'm looking forward to getting well and will be ignoring the 25% chance of failure quoted. Fingers crossed all goes well. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Met with Kelleher. Have surgery scheduled for November. It would have been October, but it's too close to my wifes due date. The man is straight up, no bull. I like him. He pointed out that there is a proven lower success rate for the operation, where litigation is ongoing. I understand this, but in my case, I would have to say that my success will not be affected by litigation. After all, if I remained as I am, without having surgery, or waiting on the waiting list, I would end up with higher compensation. I just want to be well again. I wouldn't sell my health for any amount of money. I don't understand why anyone would prolong pain for monetary gain. It's pathetic, but I got the impression that Kelleher sees it all the time. I'm looking forward to getting well and will be ignoring the 25% chance of failure quoted. Fingers crossed all goes well. Thanks guys for the recommendation.

Thrilled for you. I also feel very safe in his hands. Had surgery up there recently on my knee and stayed two nights and everyone I met was great. How long do you have to stay in for ? and is it a microdiskectomy ?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Thrilled for you. I also feel very safe in his hands. Had surgery up there recently on my knee and stayed two nights and everyone I met was great. How long do you have to stay in for ? and is it a microdiskectomy ?

Microdiscectomy yes. I don't have full details yet, only the date is set. I'm not sure if I will be taken in the day before, or not. As it will be the end of November, it will mean a recovery period over the Christmas period.

I am wondering how soon after can I resume work? I'm a hypnotist and I also design websites, so nothing physical. I have planned a week off work after the surgery and I figure that I shoukd be ok to get back to work then, as long as I don't sit for more than a half hour at a time and I do whatever exercises are given to me and attend physio.

I am really hoping to get back to the gym after all this too. I haven't been able to go since the accident and have put on around 13-14 kilos. Will I ever be able to lift heavy weight again?

Microdiscectomy yes. I don't have full details yet, only the date is set. I'm not sure if I will be taken in the day before, or not. As it will be the end of November, it will mean a recovery period over the Christmas period.

I am wondering how soon after can I resume work? I'm a hypnotist and I also design websites, so nothing physical. I have planned a week off work after the surgery and I figure that I shoukd be ok to get back to work then, as long as I don't sit for more than a half hour at a time and I do whatever exercises are given to me and attend physio.

I am really hoping to get back to the gym after all this too. I haven't been able to go since the accident and have put on around 13-14 kilos. Will I ever be able to lift heavy weight again?

If your surgery is scheduled for any time after late morning, generally you will be brought in the day of surgery but I'm sure his secretary will let you know soon. You may also be required to attend what they call a prehab class with one of the physios up in SSC. Paraic O'Neill's post surgery protocol was no lifting of anything heavier than a bag of sugar/no sitting for long periods for 4 weeks, but I was allowed to drive after 2 weeks. I have read stories that people have woken up in the recovery room pain free but I was not one of those people, in fact after the second microdiskectomy I was worse for the first week, Paraic O'Neill explained that this can often happen if the nerve has been compressed for a long time but by week 4 I was over 90% pain free.

As regards lifting weights, to the best of my knowledge yes you can, Michael Kelleher has said no to me because I have had 2 microdiskectomies & if my back 'goes' again he would be recommending a fusion, so I am sticking to swimming & walking but I too had put on alot of weight due to inactivity & comfort eating but within 6 months of surgery I lost over 10kgs,

What's the situation with bringing in 3 separate fees?

There is a 4k fee for the hospital.
    There is a 1266 fee for surgeon.
    There is a 500+ fee for the anaesthetist.

I am asked to bring in 3 separate payments. All fine I suppose, but you would think one fee to the hospital woukd suffice and the other payments are drawn from there.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has paid privately before, who do i make the fees payable to? I was thinking bank drafts would be best? I'm sure the scc would be one name and the surgeon woukd be another, but i don't know who i would be making the other payment out to. I'll ask the clinic closer to the time, but figured someone might just know anyway. Seems like an odd way to charge someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

What's the situation with bringing in 3 separate fees?

There is a 4k fee for the hospital.
    There is a 1266 fee for surgeon.
    There is a 500+ fee for the anaesthetist.

I am asked to bring in 3 separate payments. All fine I suppose, but you would think one fee to the hospital woukd suffice and the other payments are drawn from there.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has paid privately before, who do i make the fees payable to? I was thinking bank drafts would be best? I'm sure the scc would be one name and the surgeon woukd be another, but i don't know who i would be making the other payment out to. I'll ask the clinic closer to the time, but figured someone might just know anyway. Seems like an odd way to charge someone.

not really odd ,another sign of good old ireland at play,nobody wants to get caught for tax!! give your surgeons medical sec a rign and she should put you right on payment ,alot of docs have a few (cough) companys etc best to double check

• Advertisement

So I had the surgery this afternoon. It's a relief to have had it done. My legs feel somewhat normal again. I've still got pain around the site of the incision and a bit of a headache. Unfortunately, i'm not allowed to move, because the dural sac was torn and had to be glued to prevent a cerebral fluid leak. This happens in 1-2% of cases. The staff have been great and Kelleher dropped in to check on me a few hours ago, warning me to lie flat. Fingers crossed i can go home, or at least get out of bed tomorrow.

Hope you make a speedy recovery :)

maggiepip wrote: »
    Hope you make a speedy recovery :)

As do I. However, I have a feeling i'm going to be kept in longer because of the dural tear. Haven't had a wink of sleep. They gave me morphine, but I haven't felt any benefit from it. It feels kind of like i have a kidney infection, or something. Hopefully if they let me move about, things will get better quickly and I can once again take for granted going for a wee.

I'm sharing a room with an old man in his 80s who had a knee op last week. The poor old guy keeps spilling urine on himself, the bed and floor and needs a lot of attention.

Edit: I'm being kept in. Not allowed move. I have to lie flat for the day :(

Try eating when you have to lie completely flat and not even raise your head. Not easy. I think i'll be asking to be spoon fed

Oh lord! Apparently the dural tear doesnt effect the outcome of the surgery just takes you longer to recover, as you're unfortunately finding out:( I remember after my diskectomy not being able to pee naturally for a few days, something to do with nerve inflammation, was dreadful. Its good your legs feel normal, I had nerve pain like I'd never felt before after my surgery (and I had thought the pain couldn't possibly get worse before the surgery). All eventually settled down though. Hopefully you'll be flying around for xmas!

Thrilled that the op is over and pity about the the dural sac tear, thats why I was kept in for 4 days after the 2013 op, I was told that the incidence of dural tears is actually much higher than the 'reported' figures, hopefully the glue will do its job. Fingers crossed that the physio's will have you out of bed tomorrow morning - on the recent surgery I had two physios, David/Philip. Let us know how you're doing

So, this morning, the nurse "mobilised" me. I was quick enough to sit up and then stand up and begin walking unaided. I walked to the bathroom and couldn't go (stage fright a little :D). It wasnt until i was washing my hands that i realised i was far from normal. I cand bend/lean yet. I managed to have a wee a few minutes later at least. Pain in back and in calf muscles. The morning is young though.

So, with yesterday being my OHs birthday and the toy show being on in the evening, I really wanted to get home. I got the distinct impression that the head nurse knew I should not be going home so soon. I was able to stand and walk and figured I was grand. Mr Kelleher dropped by at about 7 last night and said he would let me home under strict instructions to be lying flat for most of the next 3 days due to the risk of the dural wall leaking. I was happy to be going home, but the short journey home in the car has knocked the crap out of me. I couldn't get into the front passenger seat and barely managed to get into the rear seat on the drivers side of my merc e200. An otherwise very comfortable car was not so much on this occasion. I was so sore and exhausted after the journey (10-15 mins) that i fell asleep within minutes of getting home. So much for the toy show with the kids :mad:

Still, its good to be home, aside from the pain and lack of nurses checking up on me. Funny how one can now appreciate safety rails in the loo.

do take it easy !! I had to beg to get out after 4 days so you're home very quick after a tear. Hopefully you got a good nights sleep last night and that the pain is easing for you

I'm a bit all over the place with this recovery tbh. I was pretty much bed bound from the Wednesday to the Wednesday, where I went for a short distance walk, which took me a good 20 minutes to get less than a mile. I had to call for a lif home after that miserable defeat, as my legs just wouldn't have got me home.

One day, i feel like i'm ok and the next I feel like my back is so weak and i am dragging myself around. I was sitting down for about 5 minutes today at the kitchen table and when I tried to stand up (carefully) I had a short busrt of the most intense pain I have ever had. I couldn't help the roar that came out of me. It ran from my back, all the way down my left leg. I was able to stand shortly after, but my back has felt really weak since then. I think I will spend most of tomorrow in bed. Its not easy to know how i should be. Obviously I am still very restricted, but when I feel I can walk, I am trying to get all i can. I feel if i rest too much, the muscles will get weaker and will be potentially worse.

• Advertisement

Just do small bits daily, you sound exactly like I was tbh, even though your op sounds more serious than mine. Twas about 2 months before my back stopped feeling like it was filled with cement and I could actually move my legs to a proper stride and not just manage baby steps. It was much longer (almost a year!) for my leg pain to finally completely go, but it steadily improved slowly. I remember hearing about a friend of a friend who was running round fully better about a week after his op and wondering what the heck was wrong with me. My consultant was utterly useless afterwards, he wouldn't answer me properly at all as to how much progress I should be making. I remember getting a bad shooting pain too shortly after my op, from going over a bump in the car. Everyone recovers at different speeds and the degree of nerve inflammation plays a big part.

Advertisement