Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Barracks 1916

Options
  • 30-08-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Just wondering if anyone here knows what regiments (not sure if that's the right word) were based in Marlborough Barracks in 1916, trying to research my great-grandfather and he seems to have been there in 1916 (according to marriage certificate anyway) and searching his name gives me thousands of results so I'm hoping that if I can narrow down his regiment (?) then I might have better luck.

I'd really appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Marlborough Barracks (McKee Barracks now) afaik was home to mostly Cavalry Units.

I believe the 6th Cavalry Reserve Unit was stationed there in 1916. I think it was an amalgamation of the 3rd Cavalry Reserve with attachments of 6th & 12th Lancers.

Maybe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Marlborough Barracks (McKee Barracks now) afaik was home to mostly Cavalry Units.

I believe the 6th Cavalry Reserve Unit was stationed there in 1916. I think it was an amalgamation of the 3rd Cavalry Reserve with attachments of 6th & 12th Lancers.

Maybe.
    Yep correct, well the full entry I read in the Osprey book on the Rising was "6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment (Ex 3rd Reserve Bde.) -35 officers and 851 other ranks. (5th/12th Lancers, City of London/ 1st County of London Yeomanry)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

pop his name on the query.

Any other facts you know about his WW1 service? Presumably he survived the war.

Any medals or photos of him in uniform anywhere in the family?

There is a small snippet re 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment on page 14 of the following publication re British units during WW1

http://www.naval-military-press.com/pdf/1843421976.pdf

At the time of the Rising they had become part of 3rd Reserve Cavalry Brigade under Colonel Portal along with 8th and 10th Reserve Cavalry Regiments which was based at The Curragh (note on page 14 of above publication)

http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/colonel-portal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

Señor Fancy Pants and riffmongous - Thanks so much, that should reduce the number of records I'll have to trawl through

Johnny_doyle - thanks for the links, I'll check them out when I'm on a computer tomorrow as the writing is too small to read now!

All i know about him is his name was Albert Edward Davis, he got married in 1916 and also had a son that year with the same name. I quite literally have nothing else to go on, no photos or even a year or place of death. I only know he was a soldier as this was stated on his marriage cert and on his sons marriage cert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

veghead wrote: »
    Señor Fancy Pants and riffmongous - Thanks so much, that should reduce the number of records I'll have to trawl through

Johnny_doyle - thanks for the links, I'll check them out when I'm on a computer tomorrow as the writing is too small to read now!

All i know about him is his name was Albert Edward Davis, he got married in 1916 and also had a son that year with the same name. I quite literally have nothing else to go on, no photos or even a year or place of death. I only know he was a soldier as this was stated on his marriage cert and on his sons marriage cert.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

nothing definite on Ancestry. A possible :

Albert E Davis L/6229 Lancers and 51794 Machine Gun Corps. No other info

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

johnny_doyle - Oh wow, amazed you were able to get anything, I'm still going through the results. I'll follow that up though and try get more information. Thank you so much for taking the time to look.

Thanks so much for all the help, I'd probably be tearing my hair out at this stage without ya's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Based on his occupation been listed as "Soldier" on his son's marriage cert, it would appear that he continued to serve in the Army for at least another 20 or so years. As only a living person would have their occupation listed on such a document.

This would now put him as serving Soldier, on the date of his son's wedding, which potentially could be in or around the mid to late 1930's. If he served this length of time he could well have received a military pension, this could well be on record in the UK.

Contact the National Archive http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk this is your very best bet.

Advertisement