Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brawl in Belgrade

• 30-08-2015 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Horrible scenes in Serbia where the Ireland amateurs travelled to Serbia to play in a celebratory match to mark the 120th anniversary of the founding of Rugby League.

In the 65th minute an Irish player picked up a loose ball and raced along the touch line, only to be tackled by a Serbian WATER CARRIER. This sparked an all in brawl. It is alleged the Serbian 10 kicked the Irish player in the head while On the ground.

When all had died down the Irish lads left the field and the match was abandoned, with Ireland leading 24-16. Updates about the incident on RLI Facebook page, and the match was streamed live on the net. By all accounts it was a bit of nasty match up to that point with 4 players already having being sin binned.

If the allegations prove true, the Serb's need to be harshly dealt with, no place for anything like that in sport.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Serbia would never be my first choice for an away venue for any sport. Hopefully everyone got out relatively unscathed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

As far as I know everyone is ok, I work with a guy who was playing. Looking forward to hearing the story when he is back in work on Tuesday.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Serbia would never be my first choice for an away venue for any sport. Hopefully everyone got out relatively unscathed.

Seriously, why does any team in any sport bother going to these places....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I'd say the guy's were happy to be playing a fully capped senior international, and who wouldn't like to play the sport they love for their country.

I was at the Belguim game at the Carlisle, and their was nearly 1000 people at it. A great turnout and the team were grateful to see so many people there to watch them, and only €5 in at the gate, so a good day out for anyone who wants to go see these games.

I don't think anyone guessed they would have to defend their team mates the way they did yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There are some serious character flaws in the Serbians and their approach to sport. You'd have to suggest it goes back to football, their biggest sport by far. They are paranoid, xenophobic, aggressive, militant, lawless and uncontrollable.

Hope the Irish lads are alright, the Serbs should be thrown out of the federation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement