Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

robwen wrote: »
    Nearly December & still no sign of the RTE player etc. arriving?
    Highly unlikely now before Christmas .. It will be the new year at this stage... They haven't even began testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jimbo2007

GOOD NEWS FOR YOU ALL

12.266 H SR 27500 FEC 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

2808 - this is currently carrying RTE 1. So this is likely to become RTE 1 +1 I would have thought but can't be sure.

Also, keep an eye on the following -= not yet on air

10.936 V SR 23000 FEC 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK

2816 - currently at no signal (configured as HD)

11.758 H SR 29500 FEC 3/4 DVB-S2 QPSK

2817 - currently at no signal (configured as HD)

Given we have now identified one of them, it is highly likely that the other two will be for RTE's services. The SID numbers are similar - so are probably related.

There is also another HD stream on

11.719 H SR 29500 FEC 3/4 DVB-S2 QPSK

1528 - currently at no signal (configured as HD)

but not sure what this is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS FOR YOU ALL

12.266 H SR 27500 FEC 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

2808 - this is currently carrying RTE 1. So this is likely to become RTE 1 +1 I would have thought but can't be sure.

Ok, good stuff, do we know from past additions what time frames are normally involved from this stage to being added to the EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jimbo2007

The switchover period can be up to 23 days but sometimes longer.

Some other good news - 2816 as shown above - has now been modulated as HD and is carrying what looks like RTE 1 (in HD).

Very soon you should be able to see it but exactly when I do not know.

Timescales vary from channel to channel so I cannot be sure I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    The switchover period can be up to 23 days but sometimes longer.

Some other good news - 2816 as shown above - has now been modulated as HD and is carrying what looks like RTE 1 (in HD).

Very soon you should be able to see it but exactly when I do not know.

Timescales vary from channel to channel so I cannot be sure I'm afraid.

Great news jimbo, only showing blue screens at the moment, is that normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yes, they are only tests, so no-one is supposed to be able to watch them.

Usually, Sky require 3 (IIRC) weeks of testing before a channel is allowed to launch on Sky. It is doubtful that these channels will appear on Sky before the cut-off for Christmas, which is in a fortnight. You never know though.

pad e wrote: »
    Yes, they are only tests, so no-one is supposed to be able to watch them.

Usually, Sky require 3 (IIRC) weeks of testing before a channel is allowed to launch on Sky. It is doubtful that these channels will appear on Sky before the cut-off for Christmas, which is in a fortnight. You never know though.

I would hope that there is a push on from RTE to get the HD channel up and running in time for Christmas. It's 3 weeks tomorrow to Christmas Day, so surely there's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sorry for Ot but can anyone confirm if RTÉ 2 is full HD on Sky or just 1440?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It is 1920*1080

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Epg numbers?

101 RTE 1 HD
    115 RTE 1+1
    503 RTE News Now

SD versions of RTE 1 & 2 pushed down the epg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Rick_

galtee boy wrote: »
    I would hope that there is a push on from RTE to get the HD channel up and running in time for Christmas. It's 3 weeks tomorrow to Christmas Day, so surely there's time.
    Nope, the freeze is in 2 weeks time and Sky usually require 3 weeks of testing. So, it is possible that these new channels won't actually launch until mid-January, unless Sky and RTÉ have some sort of deal in pace to not require the usual period of testing before launch. But if they go wrong over Christmas there will be hell to pay for people losing TV during the biggest time of year for broadcasters.

Epg numbers?

101 RTE 1 HD
    115 RTE 1+1
    503 RTE News Now

SD versions of RTE 1 & 2 pushed down the epg
    I think we could see a slight change on the Irish EPG -

101 RTÉ One HD
    102 RTÉ2 HD
    103 TV3 SD/HD
    104 TG4
    105 3e

115 RTÉ One +1
    116 UTV Ireland SD/HD
    117 TV3 +1
    118 - Available in ROI
    119 - Available in ROI
    120 - Available in ROI

267 UTV Ireland SD/HD
    268 RTE One SD
    269 RTÉ2 SD

273 TV3 SD/HD

503 RTÉ News Now
    504 Oireachtas TV

Interesting to note the three prime empty EPG slots... Irish variations of ITV2, 3 & 4 would slot in perfectly with today's confirmation of the UTV Ireland sale to ITV.

Have no doubt that it will appear on the EPG before Christmas - TV3HD was actually testing for less then 3 weeks AFAIK, certainly video and audio lasted far less then that.

I presume sky are still paying for the the satellite uplink of the RTÉ and the rest of the Irish channels to 28.2E so they can push this testing through if they so choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

RTE 1 HD and RTE1+1 testing on satellite:
    RTE 1 HD

RTE 1+1

12.266 H Sr 27500 Fec 5/6 Dvb-s Qpsk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

givecredit wrote: »
    RTE 1 HD and RTE1+1 testing on satellite:
    RTE 1 HD

RTE 1+1

12.266 H Sr 27500 Fec 5/6 Dvb-s Qpsk

in my view 15th December 2015 is when these will reappear on the sky EPG and rte catch up also

Both 2808 (RTÉ One+1) & 2816 (RTÉ One HD) now clearing with audio and video with Irish sky card... they certainly don't seem to be hanging around before Christmas.

It says RTE One+1 starts at 7pm.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It says RTE One+1 starts at 7pm.
    Same as Saorview, I don't think they are allowed to broadcast outside these times.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Same as Saorview, I don't think they are allowed to broadcast outside these times.

OK, that is strange. I just get a blue screen on the other one.

OK, that is strange. I just get a blue screen on the other one.
    Both still working fine here anyway so that is strange that you are getting blue screen.

Both still working fine here anyway so that is strange that you are getting blue screen.

Yep, just removed and restored 2816 and I get blue screen with no signal message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So what's the deal with the resolution? There's a big stinking black bar on the right side of the screen in some shots?

They are currently using a different feed on Satellite for RTÉ News Now as the channel on Saorview has began broadcasting but it's stuck on the logo on the testing channel.

mad muffin wrote: »
    So what's the deal with the resolution? There's a big stinking black bar on the right side of the screen in some shots?
    Well they are only testing the channels... Nothing official yet!

• Advertisement

Well they are only testing the channels... Nothing official yet!

Well it better be gone when the channel goes live :mad: it's the same bar that appears on the SD channel when I set the tv to just scan. :rolleyes:

Well it better be gone when the channel goes live :mad: it's the same bar that appears on the SD channel when I set the tv to just scan. :rolleyes:
    It won't, it will be broadcast like any other HD channels once it goes live ... They are currently testing the EPG, audio and vision to ensure a steady, reliable, quality feed from the satellite uplink point in Dublin.

It won't, it will be broadcast like any other HD channels once it goes live ... They are currently testing the EPG, audio and vision to ensure a steady, reliable, quality feed from the satellite uplink point in Dublin.

So what is this black bar tha pops up for some images? Damn annoying if you ask me. I was hoping it would be gone once they switched to hd. :(

They're testing. The black bar won't be there when they go live.

So what is this black bar tha pops up for some images? Damn annoying if you ask me. I was hoping it would be gone once they switched to hd. :(
    On what channel? .. The normal aspect for channels is 16:9, it's the safe zone ... On most televisions you can set it to "Screen Fit" or another such variation to include the areas outside the 16:9.

Native HD broadcasts outside the safe zone so there are no black bars - eventually you will see RTÉ One HD appear the same as every other HD channel.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

irishfeen wrote:
    They are currently using a different feed on Satellite for RTÉ News Now as the channel on Saorview has began broadcasting but it's stuck on the logo on the testing channel.

Maybe they are going to give News Now a proper relaunch , reason I think this is that when rtejr launched on saorview it was only a loop of RTE2 when it launched on sky it was formally a channel in its own right . News Now needs a schedule to make it relevant so here's hoping

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

brick man wrote: »
    Maybe they are going to give News Now a proper relaunch , reason I think this is that when rtejr launched on saorview it was only a loop of RTE2 when it launched on sky it was formally a channel in its own right . News Now needs a schedule to make it relevant so here's hoping

... and some news, preferably of their own from their own reporters and journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTE 1 HD not clearing here.. must require a HD sub as it's throwing a message to upgrade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

What frequency is NN testing on SKY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

See here

I saw that but which one is NN?

Sorry I meant RTÉ One +1 not NN, my mistake.

No sign of News Now then? It was supposed to happen at the same time. :(

The only channel I can get is the +1,which always says starts at 7pm.

The other two just show no signal and blue screen.
    Does anybody else have that?

The only channel I can get is the +1,which always says starts at 7pm.

The other two just show no signal and blue screen.
    Does anybody else have that?
    Try turning the box on/off and if that doesn't work delete the channel in "other channels" and re-add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    RTE 1 HD not clearing here.. must require a HD sub as it's throwing a message to upgrade :(

Anyone else getting the above?

I wonder is there a change of heart by RTE re RTE News Now going on Sky ? It's strange that only RTE1 HD and RTE1+1 are testing, especially with the Sky Christmas EPG lockdown deadline looming ( assuming the plan is to have the channels on the EPG before Christmas).

I wonder is there a change of heart by RTE re RTE News Now going on Sky ? It's strange that only RTE1 HD and RTE1+1 are testing, especially with the Sky Christmas EPG lockdown deadline looming ( assuming the plan is to have the channels on the EPG before Christmas).
    When this deal was announced it was stated that RTÉ was going to have to "upgrade" some technology, I wonder if this includes getting NN up to a reasonable resolution to go on SKY? Also what may be holding things up is a decision on whether to have it on the UK EPG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

galtee boy wrote:

I would think they are going to relaunch news now as a proper channel and if that were the case it won't happen till after Xmas . rtejr was a loop from rte2 on saorview and upc till it went on sky

When this deal was announced it was stated that RTÉ was going to have to "upgrade" some technology, I wonder if this includes getting NN up to a reasonable resolution to go on SKY? Also what may be holding things up is a decision on whether to have it on the UK EPG?

I have hard this said a few times in this forum that RTE would have to upgrade some technology but looking at various sources below there is no mention of it

Can you please provide a link/source?

RTE Annouoncement

Sky TV announcement on Boards

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

brick man wrote: »
    I would think they are going to relaunch news now as a proper channel and if that were the case it won't happen till after Xmas . rtejr was a loop from rte2 on saorview and upc till it went on sky

Its in RTE's 2012-2017 plan to have it broadcast live from 7am to midnight but there's been nothing mentioned about this, would love to see it as a proper channel but I doubt it would happen as soon as after Xmas.

I have hard this said a few times in this forum that RTE would have to upgrade some technology but looking at various sources below there is no mention of it

Can you please provide a link/source?

RTE Annouoncement

Sky TV announcement on Boards

Irish Independent

It was mentioned in the first report of this deal in The Sunday Times at the start of this thread:
    It is understood that the arrangements are worth between €1m and €2m a year to the national broadcaster, but RTE will need to invest in technology to deliver on its commitments to Sky.

Of course part of this could be new uplink equipment at Donnybrook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

No sign of News Now then? It was supposed to happen at the same time. :(

Just done a scan , 2817 showing, maybe this is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Are these encrypted for FTA?

• Advertisement

Encrypted.

Advertisement