Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

tippguy2 wrote: »
    Just done a scan , 2817 showing, maybe this is it ?

Have you frequency settings for RTE News Now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE One HD is one the same TP as other UK channels. My guess is they are not "uplinking" from RTE for these channels - instead, they are sending them in a data stream over a fibre connection to the UK for multiplexing and uplink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The test for RTE1+1 now showing audio and video from RTE1 ( current, not one hour behind ), EPG info is still from 7pm. Unfortunately no trace of anything from RTE News Now. Beginning to look like it isn't going to appear. However 2817 is still there with just blue screen, it might come to light yet, but time is running out, if it's to appear before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

11.758 H. 29500 3/4, same transponder as TV3 HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Rte 1 + 1 now testing with video (2808). Showing rte1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jimbo2007

12.266 H SR 27500 FEC 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

"2801" as "th8is programme is not available" in UK but has subtitles for RTE1 - so this streams is also carrying RTE1 (not +1), and is a separate stream.

So I can only assume this is where RTE News Now will go given we know 2808 is to be RTE1 +1.

2817 BTW is an HD channel!

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

A new label appeared 12.266 H 27.5 5/6 DVBS-S QPSK 2801 showing an upgrade screen so lt looks like this could be for RTE News Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    12.266 H SR 27500 FEC 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

"2801" as "th8is programme is not available" in UK but has subtitles for RTE1 - so this streams is also carrying RTE1 (not +1), and is a separate stream.

So I can only assume this is where RTE News Now will go given we know 2808 is to be RTE1 +1.

2817 BTW is an HD channel!

Hope that helps.

Good news again jimbo, thanks. 2817 is very interesting, being HD, pure wishful thinking here, but would there be any chance that Sky are going all out and giving us TG4 in HD too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

galtee boy wrote: »
    Good news again jimbo, thanks. 2817 is very interesting, being HD, pure wishful thinking here, but would there be any chance that Sky are going all out and giving us TG4 in HD too ?

It would be lovely if TG4 HD could launch as well.
    I'm a little mixed up with these 4 digit numbers but my gut feeling is,
    It's not just RTE1 hd in Ireland but also RTE1 hd in Northern Ireland which I think uses another number. The same thing apply with RTE1+1 and the up coming RTE News Now, as RTE is made available to people North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

On the radio front I hope RTE will at some stage launch RTE Radio 1 extra and RTE Gold (please god).

• Advertisement

Please can someone check

12.266 H

2802, 2803 and 2804. These are new and separate streams. 2802 I think is RTE2 because it has Irish audio and Narative - but the other two not sure.

Maybe they are moving them all over to 12.266 H from 10.743 H?

You may get upgrade screens on these three new ones. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Yes I'm getting an upgrade screen on all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Upgrade screens as well (ROI card with HD).

As a matter of interest, I wonder how RTÉ are getting these uplinked onto these transponders? Presumably they're being done over in the UK as they contain other channels on the same transponders which originate in the UK.

Where are Sky getting the feeds from, SaorSat?

RTÉ ONE HD testing is slightly lower quality than RTÉ 2 HD which is uplinked directly in Donnybrook and is not quite as sharp even when the programming is in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I do hope Rte is well paid for suppling our channels to the profit making broadcaster.
    This payment will hopefully benefit us all and RTE can make and broadcast even better programming for the public.

Kensington wrote:
    Where are Sky getting the feeds from, SaorSat?

I can't imagine it would be Saorsat, as RTE 2 HD on Saorsat is restricted from showing champions league football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I can't imagine it would be Saorsat, as RTE 2 HD on Saorsat is restricted from showing champions league football.

Any idea why this would be so?

I cannot imagine why ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

No more Eastenders (broadcast at the exact time as BBC)! Fingers crossed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

rte player on sky catch up should be more of a priority than rte1hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

chewed wrote: »
    No more Eastenders (broadcast at the exact time as BBC)! Fingers crossed.

Throw away 300,000 + viewers? Not a chance.

Managed to confirm 2803 is TG4 - subtitles are present. 2804 is almost certainly to be RTE News Now 2817 tgherefore is almost certainly to be RTE2 HD

BTW I was not aware that RTE2 HD on Soarsat does not carry football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Is it because, despite being on it's own spot beam, it is still FTA and they are iffy about people receiving it that shouldn't, such as viewers in NI and west coast of Wales?

pad e wrote: »
    Is it because, despite being on it's own spot beam, it is still FTA and they are iffy about people receiving it that shouldn't, such as viewers in NI and west coast of Wales?

I would not think that is reasonable with such a tight beam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

lertsnim wrote: »
    Throw away 300,000 + viewers? Not a chance.

Fair point! But would most people now have BBC1 in Ireland these days? It irks me that I have to fork out all that money for a licence when RTE are showing muck like Eastenders, when it's on another channel at the exact same time.

Most would but not everyone does. Also there are people who will have only Saorview on 2nd and 3rd tv's. I would be more annoyed if RTÉ stopped showing Eastenders and replaced it with something that couldn't replicate its ad revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

chewed wrote: »
    Fair point! But would most people now have BBC1 in Ireland these days? It irks me that I have to fork out all that money for a licence when RTE are showing muck like Eastenders, when it's on another channel at the exact same time.

Saorview customers of which many would just have Saorview would not have BBC.
    I don't like Eastenders either but you can expect that your €160 per year to get you station that only shows programmes you like.

I wonder what the official reason is then. Does the channel show a black screen during game time or do they have alternative programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

RTE were able to uplink to 10.743 when there was German channels on it so I don't think it's a problem to uplink when UK channels are present. I would expect all the RTE channels to be uplinked from Donnybrook.

Only the champions league football on saorsat, it shows a black screen with some writing (a gentle shag off message)
    All other sport is available.

RTÉ ONE HD and RTÉ ONE+1 will be on the Sky EPG from tomorrow.

101 - RTÉ ONE HD (277 for non-HD viewers)
    102 - RTÉ TWO HD (278 for non-HD viewers)
    115 - RTÉ ONE+1

No word yet on when News Now launches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FRIENDO wrote: »
    RTE 2 HD is already uplinked direct from Donnybrook so no issues there - RTE One HD, RTE One +1 and RTE News Now are spread over different transponders which are already carrying channels being uplinked for Sky so must be getting encoded and muxed in elsewhere.

Originally Posted by pad e viewpost.gif
    I would not think that is reasonable with such a tight beam.

Whether reasonable or not it seems the CL games are blocked on Saorsat due to complaints about rights issues :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057483714

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTÉ ONE HD and RTÉ ONE+1 will be on the Sky EPG from tomorrow.

101 - RTÉ ONE HD (277 for non-HD viewers)
    102 - RTÉ TWO HD (278 for non-HD viewers)
    115 - RTÉ ONE+1

No word yet on when News Now launches.

Will RTE 1 HD need a HD sub seeing as 2 currently doesn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Will RTE 1 HD need a HD sub seeing as 2 currently doesn't?

no

its part of ROI irish selection on sky epg

what about the rte player on sky catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ftakeith wrote: »
    no

they cant charge extra for rte hd, its something to do with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

irishgeo wrote: »
    they cant charge extra for rte hd, its something to do with the law.

Broadcasting Act 2009
    77.— ...

(12) RTÉ, TG4 and the television service programme contractor shall ensure that their must-offer services are at all times offered for broadcast or re-transmission (subject to agreement as to fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms of use) by means of every satellite television service.

(13) Arrangements entered into under subsection (12) shall not result in an additional charge on any subscriber to a satellite television service by reason of the making available to that subscriber of any must-offer service by way of the satellite television service.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/enacted/en/print#sec77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

ftakeith wrote: »
    no

I contacted RTE by phone this morning & was told by information dept that RTE 1 HD & RTE 1 plus 1 would likely air on Sky before Xmas.

RTE News now & RTE Player will air on Sky in the coming months.

I also enquired if RTE 1 plus 1 would air 24 hours a day & was told not immediately but possibly in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The Cush wrote: »
    Broadcasting Act 2009

They should of made it available after you cancel sky too, like the bbc's and itv is in the UK.

They should of made it available after you cancel sky too, like the bbc's and itv is in the UK.

They cannot be FTA on sat like the BBC/ITV due to the cost of programming rights and it they were to remain soft-encrypted outside a Sky sub package who would pay for the necessary encryption and transmission costs, not Sky as it would be of no benefit to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The Cush wrote: »
    They cannot be FTA on sat like the BBC/ITV due to the cost of programming rights and it they were to remain soft-encrypted outside a Sky sub package who would pay for the necessary encryption and transmission costs, not Sky as it would be of no benefit to them.

How much does it cost per channel to pay for the necessary encryption and transmission costs?

• Advertisement

How much does it cost per channel to pay for the necessary encryption and transmission costs?

The latest Sky price list is here, not including transponder capacity and associated uplinking/multiplexing costs, all of which are covered by Sky we believe.

energy1942 wrote: »
    I contacted RTE by phone this morning & was told by information dept that RTE 1 HD & RTE 1 plus 1 would likely air on Sky before Xmas.

RTE News now & RTE Player will air on Sky in the coming months.

I also enquired if RTE 1 plus 1 would air 24 hours a day & was told not immediately but possibly in the coming months.
    Strange that RTÉ don't even know themselves what is happening with their own channels when I have already posted that RTÉ ONE HD and RTÉ ONE+1 will appear on the Sky EPG today. Keep an eye out for them in the coming hours.

Strange that RTÉ don't even know themselves what is happening with their own channels when I have already posted that RTÉ ONE HD and RTÉ ONE+1 will appear on the Sky EPG today. Keep an eye out for them in the coming hours.

How do you know this is happening today? Is the test period not very short?

Sky confirmed it on their website on Monday morning that the channels were launching today.

It is short, but I'm assuming that they are doing it with Sky's help to ensure nothing goes wrong and they want to get it on air before the cut off period happens so everyone will get it in time for Christmas.
    Sky Website

Thursday 10 December:

RTE One HD launches into the Entertainment genre at 101 (HD homes)/277 (non-HD homes) in ROI only
    This channel will be part of the ROI Bonus Pack

RTE Two/RTE Two HD (115) move to 278 in ROI only

RTE One+1 launches into the Entertainment genre at 115 in ROI only
    This channel will be part of the ROI Bonus Pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sky confirmed it on their website on Monday morning that the channels were launching today.

It is short, but I'm assuming that they are doing it with Sky's help to ensure nothing goes wrong and they want to get it on air before the cut off period happens so everyone will get it in time for Christmas.

RTE 2 HD appears on 102 for non-HD subscribers so I would guess that in time RTE 1 HD will appear on 101 for all ROI subscribers with a HD box

Ok, I can't find it on their website, do you have a link?

Many thanks for that. This is good news, nice to have RTE 1 HD before Christmas.

Strange that Sky/RTE are not making a bigger fuss out of this.

Have they launched yet then? Surely they should have appeared on the EPG by now? New channels get added around 10/11am

Like every company on the planet, the front line staff are told nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement