Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

6.01 evening news? Good time to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

....evidently not. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

pad e wrote: »
    Sky confirmed it on their website on Monday morning that the channels were launching today.

It is short, but I'm assuming that they are doing it with Sky's help to ensure nothing goes wrong and they want to get it on air before the cut off period happens so everyone will get it in time for Christmas.

So does this mean RTE2 HD now reverts to 178 or whatever for non hd subscribers?

Badly worded phrase sky used! Maybe there is no fan fare because they dont want complaints if rte1 hd and rte2 hd are not on 101 and 102 for all subscribers-like happened with rte2 hd when it first appeared

Also whenever RTE News Now comes on sky or even before that they should rename the Channel RTE NEWS- its only News Now every 3 or 4 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Maybe call it News Now and Again :)

and again and again and.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

No sign yet......what about Catch Up, any mention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Any chance we might need to reboot box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

I see the other new channel from that link, "bike" is on the EPG so I suspect they have made today's changes and it will likely now not happen until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/12/rte-one-hd-arrives-on-irish-sky-service.html
    A Sky representive initially announced that RTÉ One HD was launching on Sky Ireland today (10th December). a516digital can confirm the launch has been delayed. Technical changes are also taking place which will see RTÉ services change transponder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

tippman1 wrote: »
    6.01 evening news? Good time to kick off.

Mmmmmmm, will be nice to see Sharon in HD !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The wait is nearly over, feels like we're like a bunch of kids waiting for Santy to come, it was quite a wait.

Mmmmmmm, will be nice to see Sharon in HD !!!!!!!!

Don't hold your breath there are channels called rte1 hd and rte2 hd but it is rarely any programmes are shown in HD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I wish RTE would go free to air on Sky.
    Sky is such a rip off.
    They've been hiking up the price by 2 euros every few months.
    I'm paying 35 euros for basic channels with no hd now and there's never anything on worth watching.
    It's not worth it.
    I'm thinking of dropping Sky altogether after christmas is over and using it as a free to air box.
    In order to watch RTE though I'd have to buy an aerial and a frigging Saorview box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They can't without having to change their rights arrangements to cover the UK too, which would soon mean the end of US programming, movies, and non-Irish sports on RTE as they get priced out by UK networks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Sky is such a rip off.
    I'm paying 35 euros for basic channels with no hd now and there's never anything on worth watching.
    It's not worth it.
    I'm thinking of dropping Sky altogether after christmas is over and using it as a free to air box.
    In order to watch RTE though I'd have to buy an aerial and a frigging Saorview box.

How are you paying 35euros per month as the basic pack is 29.50euro per month
    Any saorview approved TV with sky fta box or get a humax freesat freetime
    RTEtv can't go fta on satellite apart from saorsat because of the live sport or US TV shows are shown ahead of UK TV

Sky TV is a rip off for pay tv sport/movies etc

Freesat/saorview will be real competition to pay tv in 2016

I've been with Sky for years so it's the pack that goes for 39 euros for the new subscribers.
    It's basically what has become the variety pack.
    It was 29 euros a few years ago but Sky kept hiking up the price.
    There isn't even any HD channels with it (well BBC and RTE One but everyone gets those).
    You have to pay 10 euros extra a month for hd channels.

• Advertisement

I've been with Sky for years so it's the pack that goes for 39 euros for the new subscribers.
    It's basically what has become the variety pack.
    It was 29 euros a few years ago but Sky kept hiking up the price.
    There isn't even any HD channels with it (well BBC and RTE One but everyone gets those).
    You have to pay 10 euros extra a month for hd channels.

you can downgrade from the variety package to the original bundle as PBS America and Yesterday are free to air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sky is such a rip off.
    It's not worth it.

I don't see the point in your post. Sounds like you want everything for nothing and then you say there is nothing on to watch anyway.

I pay Sky €35 a month for basic package with HD and I think it's good value. I also like how the box and software actually works, best in the market in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭irishdeej

Can we keep the posts on topic please

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in your post. Sounds like you want everything for nothing and then you say there is nothing on to watch anyway.

I pay Sky €35 a month for basic package with HD and I think it's good value. I also like how the box and software actually works, best in the market in my opinion.

I don't want everything for nothing I would have been happy if Sky hadn't kept hiking up the prices every few months. This is the second price increase I've had in a period of a few months.
    If they keep continuing hiking up the prices it's going to be ridiculous.
    Anyway as the fellow above me said it's gone off topic so this is my last post on this.
    I don't think I'm paying as much as some people are.
    Ye know what I think of Sky now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Widescreen wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath there are channels called rte1 hd and rte2 hd but it is rarely any programmes are shown in HD!

Still peddling that nonsense I see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

irishdeej wrote: »
    Can we keep the posts on topic please

Take a warning for back seat moderation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

lertsnim wrote: »
    Still peddling that nonsense I see.

A lot / most of the programs are not in HD - either that or the descriptions for the programs are incorrect

Widescreen made this claim before and I provided a list of programming that were in HD even though the EPG didn't say it. That's laziness on the broadcasters part.

Do we have a new date as to when RTE 1 HD will be added?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

Infoanon wrote:
    A lot / most of the programs are not in HD - either that or the descriptions for the programs are incorrect

RTE are very poor at stating which are in HD but quite a lot is now HD as all studios at TV centre are HD now

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Do we have a new date as to when RTE 1 HD will be added?

Next Monday 14th according to their forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

speedfreak wrote: »
    Next Monday 14th according to their forum.

Does this include RTE ONE +1, RTEjr and RTE NEWS NOW?

Elmo wrote: »

RTEjr is already on Sky

RTEjr is already on Sky

Does it share space with another channel? Why not let RTE ONE +1 on as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Only mentions HD channels and +1. No sign of newsnow.

• Advertisement

Widescreen made this claim before and I provided a list of programming that were in HD even though the EPG didn't say it. That's laziness on the broadcasters part.

Well it must be just laziness on RTE's part because any HD programmes on TV3 or UTV Ireland are clearly flagged. In fact I think RTE are suddenly getting left behind by the other Irish broadcasters in a lot of their programme quality as well now-they would want to get their eye back on the ball!

In fact I think RTE are suddenly getting left behind by the other Irish broadcasters in a lot of their programme quality as well now-they would want to get their eye back on the ball!

Or RTÉ are realising any auld ****e will do

Well it must be just laziness on RTE's part

It must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Does it share space with another channel? Why not let RTE ONE +1 on as well?

No it's got it's own channel. Has done for quite a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Well it must be just laziness on RTE's part because any HD programmes on TV3 or UTV Ireland are clearly flagged. In fact I think RTE are suddenly getting left behind by the other Irish broadcasters in a lot of their programme quality as well now-they would want to get their eye back on the ball!
    Knowing RTÉ it's probably a case of the purchasing dept isn't talking to the publicity dept, who don't talk to scheduling, who don't talk to transmiision, who don't talk to playout, who dont talk to ....:p
    Either that or the unions have realised there is no "HD Flagger" employed :eek:

Regarding Rte News Now. Wouldn't recording Six One news on series link be a better option? It just seems to be repeated news all the time and I hate how they have too much info on screen like Sky Sports News, prefer full screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Am I right in saying all the Rte channels are now on 12.226 H 27500 5/6 DVB-S (Euro beam)

I'm not getting anything. I've checked the sids 2801-2808 but nothing showing. I've got signal but no picture. Only picture on SID 2808 RTE 1+1 (Showing Rte 1)

If you're using a Sky box then you should be getting a picture for RTÉ One HD. You won't see a picture if using a sub on a non Sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If you're using a Sky box then you should be getting a picture for RTÉ One HD. You won't see a picture if using a sub on a non Sky box.

Lyngsat has the SD channels now on that TP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

2808 RTE1+1, 2811 RTE Radio 1, 2812 RTE2 fm, 2013 RTE R na G, 2814 Lyric fm on new transponder. No idea what others are.
    Why are these changes taking place? Can all of RTE services fit into this new frequency?

Regarding Rte News Now. Wouldn't recording Six One news on series link be a better option? It just seems to be repeated news and All the time andnI hate how they have too much info on screen like Sky Soorts News, prefer full screen.

I agree and maybe so does Sky, but surely better than a shopping channel, info channel, phone sex channel and some of the religious channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Sunday Times have also been caught offside by the unexpected delay of RTE1 HD and RTE1+1 going on the Sky EPG last Thursday, as they are reporting in today's edition, that both channels have already launched on the Sky EPG !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

2808 RTE1+1, 2811 RTE Radio 1, 2812 RTE2 fm, 2013 RTE R na G, 2814 Lyric fm on new transponder. No idea what others are.
    Why are these changes taking place? Can all of RTE services fit into this new frequency?

All RTÉ/TG4/TV3 services are moving to Sky Uplink in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

snaps wrote: »
    Am I right in saying all the Rte channels are now on 12.226 H 27500 5/6 DVB-S (Euro beam)

I'm not getting anything. I've checked the sids 2801-2808 but nothing showing. I've got signal but no picture. Only picture on SID 2808 RTE 1+1 (Showing Rte 1)

A lot of last minute confusion as you will see when you refer to the below media news which had to be completely updated. I gather RTÉ were anxious to have their main channel RTÉ One in HD format and some other additions like RTÉ One+1 finally appearing on the Sky Ireland platform in time for the Christmas festive season which is traditionally a very busy time for television viewing. See below link for more precise details, different colour print font and added Update at very end would suggest there were a few very last minute changes outlined!

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/12/rte-one-hd-arrives-on-irish-sky-service.html

They say 14th December which is Monday - formal changes to the SKY Digital electronic programme guide are not usually on the EPG until a Tuesday so; I would not be surprised if it is Tuesday 15th December despite the 14th Dec referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

Anyone got RTE One HD on EPG 101 now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why_oh_why wrote: »
    Anyone got RTE One HD on EPG 101 now?

Not yet.. working from home and just checked

tvchannellists.com reports 15th December as launch date for RTÉ1 HD, RTÉ1+1 and News Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

12266 has 15 SD services on it now, so surely the SD versions of RTÉ are going to look terrible now as they have to fight with 8 more channels for bitrate than before on 10744?

Is this just part of Sky's attempt to make SD look as crap as possible to make everyone want to jump to HD for the upgrade in picture quality?

12266 has 15 SD services on it now, so surely the SD versions of RTÉ are going to look terrible now as they have to fight with 8 more channels for bitrate than before on 10744?

Is this just part of Sky's attempt to make SD look as crap as possible to make everyone want to jump to HD for the upgrade in picture quality?

RTEtv channels in hd are part of the basic sky pack

Looking at the Bitrate averages, there should not be any difference. In fact they all seem to have higher peak bitrates, a benefit of stat-muxing in a higher overall bitrate Mux.

• Advertisement
Advertisement