Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AMKC wrote: »
    If you are with Sky RTE1 and RTE2 are on channel no,s 277 and 278 respectively.
    I will not be using the HD ones have no interest in HD or 3D I think its all just a way of taking more money of us.

If you have a modern TV and you get used to HD then you wouldn''t go back. Picture and sound is much better.
    Agree Sky shouldn't charge €15 for it but I'd say that will eventually go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Galway wrote: »
    NO NO NO - its not clearing.... must be card paired
    Have you a basic sub with sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

All the SD channels on 12.266 H are not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mollster

icdg wrote: »
    RTE One HD should be also available in Northern Ireland, unfortunately It's unlikely to ever be available in England, Scotland and Wales.

Ah well, Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

irishfeen wrote: »
    Have you a basic sub with sky?

RTE 2 HD is cleaing but RTE 1 HD is not.

• Advertisement

Galway wrote: »
    RTE 2 HD is cleaing but RTE 1 HD is not.
    RTÉ One HD is using encrypted sky's new encryption system which has been rolled out to nearly all HD channels... RTÉ2 HD is apparently moving transponder soon and when this happens there is every chance that RTÉ2 HD will use the new system too.

The new encryption system had being developed to stop CCCam sharing and so far it seems to have worked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTE 1 HD working fine here now on 101 (no HD sub)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    RTE 1 HD working fine here now on 101 (no HD sub)
    Yeah it will work fine with any sort of sky sub - HD or not.

Sky can't charge extra for RTÉ in HD because it would be breaking the law.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you have a modern TV and you get used to HD then you wouldn''t go back. Picture and sound is much better.
    Agree Sky shouldn't charge €15 for it but I'd say that will eventually go.

I do have a modern TV. I do agree that the sound on the HD is much better put as for picture no difference to me but other people I know have said they thought HD made things look better. I am perfectly happy with SD do. Hopefully that charge does go. I would be happy to see Sky do a basics package no gimmicks just all the standard SD channels and Sky+ thats all I ever want. Don,t use any of the rest of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I do have a modern TV. I do agree that the sound on the HD is much better put as for picture no difference to me but other people I know have said they thought HD made things look better. I am perfectly happy with SD do. Hopefully that charge does go. I would be happy to see Sky do a basics package no gimmicks just all the standard SD channels and Sky+ thats all I ever want. Don,t use any of the rest of it.

I only have basic package too but with HD (Pay €10 extra for a year) and if you flick back and forth between the SD and HD channel (Blue button) then you will definitely see the difference. All clearer and sharper.

Also i didn't think you needed a HD subscription to get RTE HD channels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RTE One+1 working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ One HD is using encrypted sky's new encryption system which has been rolled out to nearly all HD channels... RTÉ2 HD is apparently moving transponder soon and when this happens there is every chance that RTÉ2 HD will use the new system too.

The new encryption system had being developed to stop CCCam sharing and so far it seems to have worked..

Oscam too, only available privately via Oscam but that's where I end that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

First of all I noticed the picture quality when I turned on the Sky HD box. Then I noticed that HD DOG. Is that the skybox. No sign of TG4HD on 104 yet. Happy Christmas to fans of the most popular channel in Ireland and especially for anyone depending on their Sky box for TV reception? Is RTE One HD available to Sky customers in Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Stinicker wrote: »
    So it took two years for RTE1HD to launch on Sky, just remember that RTE1 HD Launched on Saorview on December 16th 2013, almost two years ago Wednesday. I wounder if we will ever see TG4HD on Saorview, Saorsat or even Sky because as far as I know TG4 HD is currently only available on UPC/Virgin.

We're more likely see TG4 go HD on Sky first, it's a fraction of the price of Saorview.
    ComReg's pricing scheme prevents anyone else from putting up a HD service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im very happy to see RTEOneHD on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Here in NI RTE1 HD and RTE 1+1 are working under 'other channels' but are not on the Sky EPG. All the other RTE digital channels that can be added manually are not working e.g. RTE News Now i.e. they can be added but message comes up re upgrading your subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

as for picture no difference to me
    You need to get your eyes calibrated... A blind man can tell the difference..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Surely this will embarrass TG4 into going HD on Sky with all the major rivals now in HD.

If you were an executive in Sky surely there is opportunity in being the only widely available provider to have all the "main" Irish channels in HD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

RTE One+1 working now.
    What number channel is it?

Got all confused earlier when RTE1 disappeared off my favourites list - hadn't copped that 101 had changed to RTE1HD!

But I can't seem to find RTE1+1 anywhere - and I've been praying for it for a long time now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Just as an aside, if you have any RTE 1 programmes scheduled to record on series link, you'll have to re-schedule them manually for RTE 1 HD as even though it's taken over the 101 slot, the scheduled recording are still going to record from the SD channel further down the listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stinicker wrote: »
    So it took two years for RTE1HD to launch on Sky, just remember that RTE1 HD Launched on Saorview on December 16th 2013, almost two years ago Wednesday. I wounder if we will ever see TG4HD on Saorview, Saorsat or even Sky because as far as I know TG4 HD is currently only available on UPC/Virgin.
    It's also on eVision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you were an executive in Sky surely there is opportunity in being the only widely available provider to have all the "main" Irish channels in HD

Doesn't Virgin have all of the "main" channels in HD? I know TG4 has been HD there for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

When will current HD (720p/1080i and 1080p) become SD? That way 4K could just be called HD. Surely we're at the point where most people have some kind of a HD TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

warpdrive wrote: »
    Surely we're at the point where most people have some kind of a HD TV

You'd be surprised how many SD tv's are still in use. Also let's not forget about all of the SD channels still broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

RTE1+1 currently showing Euronews on Sky, but not on Saorview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

When will current HD (720p/1080i and 1080p) become SD? That way 4K could just be called HD. Surely we're at the point where most people have some kind of a HD TV

It's happens in two countries over the next two years, in France next April almost all channels on their terrestrial service convert to HD and Germany follows the following year.

Loads of 14" CRT portables still hanging in people's kitchens - and you'd be amazed at how many of them are powered by Virgin analogue, never mind DVB of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

great news for those abroad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Loads of 14" CRT portables still hanging in people's kitchens - and you'd be amazed at how many of them are powered by Virgin analogue, never mind DVB of any kind.

Believe it or not, I sometimes watch Virgin Analogue on my 50" Pioneer Kuro! * And it is actually a fine service, of course not HD or anything like that, but perfectly fine for watching the news or background noise will working around the house.

Obviously I'm not going to watch some big budget blockbuster movie on it, but you don't need HD for the majority of rubbish that is shown on TV these days.

* I'm cheating a little as the Kuro has probably the best SD to HD upconverter you will ever find in any TV and is Plasma, so it handles SD amazingly well. When I see people complain about SD on their HD TV's, it is usually because they are using cheap, rubbish LCD TV's with rubbish SD upconverting. I've had people visit and think the Virgin Analogue TV service was in HD, the upconverting is that good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Surely this will embarrass TG4 into going HD on Sky with all the major rivals now in HD.

TV3 isn't in HD, neither is UTVi (if anyone actually watches the latter).

loyatemu wrote: »
    TV3 isn't in HD, neither is UTVi (if anyone actually watches the latter).

TV3 is in hd and broadcasts its own programmes from its HD Studios. People are always trying to say this but it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Job well done so far but its a pity the RTE remaining digital radio channels didn't take off especially RTE Radio 1 extra and Gold.
    There's always something left out, never satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

murpho999 wrote: »
    TV3 is in hd and broadcasts its own programmes from its HD Studios. People are always trying to say this but it's not true.

You're right - I hadn't noticed they're listed as 3HD (the online Sky Guide is still listing both RTEs as SD; also has BBC1HD on 141 whereas it's actually further up the EPG and the SD version is on 141, for me at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm delighted to see RTE1 HD! But, slightly off the topic....does anyone else find the "RTE ONE HD" on the top right corner of the screen very annoying? I know a lot of channels do it, but for RTE1, it just takes up too much of the screen!

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see RTE1 HD! But, slightly off the topic....does anyone else find the "RTE ONE HD" on the top right corner of the screen very annoying? I know a lot of channels do it, but for RTE1, it just takes up too much of the screen!

When you start watching BT Sport ESPN HD, all other DOGs look tidy in comparison...

bk wrote: »

* I'm cheating a little as the Kuro has probably the best SD to HD upconverter you will ever find in any TV and is Plasma, so it handles SD amazingly well. When I see people complain about SD on their HD TV's, it is usually because they are using cheap, rubbish LCD TV's with rubbish SD upconverting. I've had people visit and think the Virgin Analogue TV service was in HD, the upconverting is that good!
    Yes, we have a Panasonic lcd screen and when you calibrate it by googling calibration settings for the particular model to get the best picture possible...blacks are black, not grey..
    Lots of people still are watching their tv on the same screen settings (dynamic) when it was sold to them in the shop..not what you should have it set to at home..

Yep 8 characters including spaces is a bit much....for a start, if I'm watching a show, it bloody well means I know what I'm watching it on...I don't need a reminder 100% of the time what station I'm watching it on...Bugger off screen dog..go home...

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Its to make sure we can see it, you are right, they should drop the 'one' and replace it with '1' and fade it a little, its too noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

I imagine in time, RTÉ ONE will become RTÉ 1 and they will end up having a DOG similar to RTÉ 2 with a numeral and it will look a lot more tight in to the corner of the screen. Even with their compensation for those that may have overscan on their TV's, their DOG placement is still too far out from the corner, and it's large text and brightness doesn't help. Having things like "New" or "See The First" underneath it just adds to the annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

Yeah and do RTE keep their logo on the screen during movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wonder why there's no rte one and 2 HD at 101,102 on the sky app TV guide, under the HD section?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there was nothing wrong with analogue, in fact I found it a better picture quality than digital. Sky Analogue on Astra 1 was definitely a better picture than Sky Digital on Astra 2. Only the HD channels improve upon the original Sky Analogue.

Gonzo wrote: »
    there was nothing wrong with analogue, in fact I found it a better picture quality than digital. Sky Analogue on Astra 1 was definitely a better picture than Sky Digital on Astra 2. Only the HD channels improve upon the original Sky Analogue.
    with the main tv at home being of the larger size...it was necessary to bring in hd to have a good picture...unless you like watching blob vision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

2817 on 11758H now on an upgrade screen ere with basic sub. Anybody with a HD sub clear it and confirm its RTE2 HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

loyatemu wrote: »
    You're right - I hadn't noticed they're listed as 3HD (the online Sky Guide is still listing both RTEs as SD; also has BBC1HD on 141 whereas it's actually further up the EPG and the SD version is on 141, for me at least).

Do you have a HD, or UK, sub? BBC HD is 141.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Am I able to pick this up now in the UK by any chance? I have Sky HD

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Pete2k wrote: »
    2817 on 11758H now on an upgrade screen ere with basic sub. Anybody with a HD sub clear it and confirm its RTE2 HD?

I'd say it's scrambled with a different key, the new SD services on 12266 don't clear either.
    They are probably keeping them scrambled to the public during testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

feez wrote: »
    I'd say it's scrambled with a different key, the new SD services on 12266 don't clear either.
    They are probably keeping them scrambled to the public during testing.

Thanks was jus wondering coz when rte one hd was testing anyone with a hd sub could open it whereas anyone with a non hd sub couldn't until it went on the epg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

RTE1 HD now geo-blocked under 'other channels' here in NI (Bah! Humbug!) but RTE1+1 still in the clear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement