Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

RTE1 HD now geo-blocked under 'other channels' here in NI (Bah! Humbug!) but RTE1+1 still in the clear.
    You give us Ch4Hd and we might give you RTE1Hd..Fair trade I think...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

pegasus1 wrote: »
    You give us Ch4Hd and we might give you RTE1Hd..Fair trade I think...:p
    CH4HD is FTA on 11127 V 22000 DVB-S QPSK 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

RTE1 HD now geo-blocked under 'other channels' here in NI (Bah! Humbug!) but RTE1+1 still in the clear.
    I would think that that will be sorted out once it goes on the NI EPG

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

bk wrote: »
    * I'm cheating a little as the Kuro has probably the best SD to HD upconverter you will ever find in any TV and is Plasma, so it handles SD amazingly well. When I see people complain about SD on their HD TV's, it is usually because they are using cheap, rubbish LCD TV's with rubbish SD upconverting. I've had people visit and think the Virgin Analogue TV service was in HD, the upconverting is that good!

Ah, I'd still love one of those TV's! I have similar vintage Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma, and I still think the picture is superb and better than most LCD panels that's the norm nowadays. It was bad enough that Pioneer stopped their plasma, and final death knell was Panasonic quitting too. :(

*Sorry for OT post*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I would think that that will be sorted out once it goes on the NI EPG

Is it certain that it will go on NI EPG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Was RTE Player added?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kurn wrote: »
    Was RTE Player added?

No, and it won't be done until later in 2016 as announced on their Boards.ie talk to Sky page.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Widescreen

chewed wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see RTE1 HD! But, slightly off the topic....does anyone else find the "RTE ONE HD" on the top right corner of the screen very annoying? I know a lot of channels do it, but for RTE1, it just takes up too much of the screen!

That's to remind us that it is a HD channel because it is rarely they will be showing anything in HD, just like their sister channel RTE2(apart from soccer/GAA)

I am hoping they start proving me wrong over Christmas and show the big movies in HD at least..

Widescreen wrote: »
    (apart from soccer/GAA)
    APART from also all the American imports...which are also in Hd!

...which also have 5.1 DD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's to remind us that it is a HD channel because it is rarely they will be showing anything in HD, just like their sister channel RTE2(apart from soccer/GAA)

I am hoping they start proving me wrong over Christmas and show the big movies in HD at least..

I noticed on the Sky EPG that the Late Late Show this Friday doesn't have a HD tag on the EPG but it is HD. Even Dr Phil was HD last night but the EPG also didn't have the HD tag. You need to get your eyes tested if you really believe that RTE shows very little HD content.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Is it certain that it will go on NI EPG?
    I cannot see any reason why it would not. RTE 2 HD has been on the NI EPG for years and the SD version of RTE 1 as well. It would not be to either SKY or RTE's benefit for it not to be available in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

lertsnim wrote: »
    I noticed on the Sky EPG that the Late Late Show this Friday doesn't have a HD tag on the EPG but it is HD. Even Dr Phil was HD last night but the EPG also didn't have the HD tag. You need to get your eyes tested if you really believe that RTE shows very little HD content.

On Virgin Media's HD Horizon Box, the epg denotes all programmes on RTE ONE in SD .. which of course is wrong.

You keep saying this and you have been told before you are wrong. The programmes are in HD but it's settings RTE have in their EPG that are wrong.

The difference I am seeing between RTE1 HD and SD are very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Just one final question to throw out to all, as I have nothing more to add. For RTE HD which is of better picture quality, the satellite or terrestrial platform? From what I understand satellite HD is 1920•1080 and terrestrial is 1440•1080, I might be talking bull but let me know anyway, thanks.

You are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

lertsnim wrote:

You are right the only thing RTE flag as HD is sports programmes . there is a lot more all of their studios are in HD now for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You can have a HD studio, but that doesn't always mean you broadcast in HD (look at TV3 example).

Not sure about now, but certainly in the recent past movies on RTE were shown as upscaled. They probably did not have the HD rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I though Friends on RTE2 was HD and most other imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭GIMP

Any word RTE News Now ever being added to EPG?

GIMP wrote:
    Any word RTE News Now ever being added to EPG?

According to sky early 2016 with RTE player later on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Just one final question to throw out to all, as I have nothing more to add. For RTE HD which is of better picture quality, the satellite or terrestrial platform? From what I understand satellite HD is 1920•1080 and terrestrial is 1440•1080, I might be talking bull but let me know anyway, thanks.

Sky beats Saorview on quality every time. Not only is Saorview reduced resolution, it only averages about 6 Mbits/s.
    Currently RTÉ2 HD/Sky is 12 Mbit/s constant, I don't know what RTÉ1 HD is like bitrate wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

feez wrote: »
    Sky beats Saorview on quality every time. Not only is Saorview reduced resolution, it only averages about 6 Mbits/s.
    Currently RTÉ2 HD/Sky is 12 Mbit/s constant, I don't know what RTÉ1 HD is like bitrate wise.

In my view rte2 hd on saorview has a better picture on its satellite version

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Pretty sure Sharon Ni Bheolain isn't wearing a bra tonight :D

Thank you HD.

Please tell me is RTE HD better on Saorsat than on Saorview?
    Might install Saorsat if it is. This platform is free to air and should be supported by other broadcasters.
    Forgive me for been off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was watching the news on RTE1 earlier and there was a noticeable difference between the Saorview and Sky. The Saorview picture quality was clearer and sharper but this was on a 242 telly in the kitchen. When I looked at it through Sky on a 42" telly in another room it wasnt as good. Might have had something to do with the TVs though.

I also get Freeview HD channels from NI and they are far superior to Sky's HD offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

mark_79 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Sharon Ni Bheolain isn't wearing a bra tonight :D

Don't forget the ever Cute Claire Byrne :)

Thank you HD.
    mikeym wrote: »
    Im very happy to see RTEOneHD on Sky.

So am i, i can only record so many things at one time, but saw it by accident when looking for another channel & noticed it on 115 & thought what's that??

Is RTE News Now available yet? & i hear the player next yr?

Is RTE News Now available yet? & i hear the player next yr?

News Now early in New Year and player later in year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Please tell me is RTE HD better on Saorsat than on Saorview?
    Might install Saorsat if it is. This platform is free to air and should be supported by other broadcasters.
    Forgive me for been off topic.
    Saorsat is the same 1440 half HD

Saorsat is the same 1440 half HD

My God, they can't even go that extra mile. Prime channels should be 1920+1080. BBC HD on Freesat is excellent, it's where I noticed the quality watching Eastenders turning back and fort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I noticed the quality watching Eastenders turning back and fort.

Quality.........?!?
    Even in 4k that wouldn't be quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

brick man wrote: »
    News Now early in New Year and player later in year

March & December then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

How long does it actually take to put RTE player up...like seriously..

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    They have to seriously improve it for a start...picture wise....

lpool2k05 wrote: »

I would say it would be bandwidth issue with transponders.

I just hope it's a HD offering.
    The 3 player option on Sky is really poor as it's SD only.

Can anyone shed light on why RTE1 HD is geo-blocked here in NI under 'other channels' while RTE1+1 is 'in the clear'?

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would say it would be bandwidth issue with transponders.

I just hope it's a HD offering.
    The 3 player option on Sky is really poor as it's SD only.
    On demand doesn't go through the satellite...maybe just the listings...

Tv3 until recently was just Sd anyway, so perhaps they have to resubmit to sky re the player..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

muffler wrote: »
    I was watching the news on RTE1 earlier and there was a noticeable difference between the Saorview and Sky. The Saorview picture quality was clearer and sharper but this was on a 242 telly in the kitchen. When I looked at it through Sky on a 42" telly in another room it wasnt as good. Might have had something to do with the TVs though.

I also get Freeview HD channels from NI and they are far superior to Sky's HD offerings.

How old is your 42" telly? What type of cable is connecting your Sky HD box to your telly. HDMI is recommended. If your using Scart cable it only support SD video and you will lose clarity on any HD channel you view. If you're using HDMI don't forget to look at the settings on both your tv and your Sky box.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    How old is your 42" telly? What type of cable is connecting your Sky HD box to your telly. HDMI is recommended. If your using Scart cable it only support SD video and you will lose clarity on any HD channel you view. If you're using HDMI don't forget to look at the settings on both your tv and your Sky box.
    Only got the telly 11 months ago and its connected to the Sky box with a HDMI cable. What Im saying is the quality of some of the HD channels on Sky is inferior to the quality of HD channels on Freeview and thats via a 25 year old rooftop aerial.

Some of the HD channels on Sky are up there on a par (almost) with what Im getting on freeview but when I would switch, for example, from UTV Ireland or BBC 1 NI (both in HD on Sky) to the same channels on Freeview there is a difference in both the visual and audio qualities. Dont know why but thats just the way it is.

Another little thing I would have noticed is that the pic quality on BT Sports HD is better than Sky Sports HD. Not a lot but still noticeable.

muffler wrote: »
    Some of the HD channels on Sky are up there on a par (almost) with what Im getting on freeview but when I would switch, for example, from UTV Ireland or BBC 1 NI (both in HD on Sky) to the same channels on Freeview there is a difference in both the visual and audio qualities. Dont know why but thats just the way it is.

Remember that UTV Ireland is only SD and not HD on Freeview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Remember that UTV Ireland is only SD and not HD on Freeview.
    I think he's comparing UTV Ireland HD on Sky with UTV HD on Freeview (UTV Ireland isn't on Freeview in any resolution afaik).

Might be worth checking if the HDMI output on the Sky box is set to 1080i, though I'd expect it is.

It very well could have something to do with the 2 different TV's, and whatever hardware/software they have to decode video, etc. Even the LCD panel itself.

byte wrote: »
    I think he's comparing UTV Ireland HD on Sky with UTV HD on Freeview (UTV Ireland isn't on Freeview in any resolution afaik).
    Apologies, yes thats what i was referring to. I meant to say that when looking at one of the soaps for example that is on both UTV channels at the same time I can see a better quality pic on UTV HD on Freeview as opposed to UTV Ireland HD on Sky

Might be worth checking if the HDMI output on the Sky box is set to 1080i, though I'd expect it is.
    It's set at 1080i :)

It very well could have something to do with the 2 different TV's, and whatever hardware/software they have to decode video, etc. Even the LCD panel itself.
    Possibly that alright. One's a 24" and the other 42". Both LG models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Widescreen

lertsnim wrote: »

Now now no need for the sarcasm:D!

Now being the resident expert on HD can you tell me why RTE only highlight the sports programmes in orange(HD) on the sky guide and not all these other programmes that are shown in HD-you would have thought they would have been anxious to let everyone know they were being broadcast in HD and not upscaled SD - just in case there is any confusion for people whose sight is not as good as yours.

oops sorry for the sarcasm!

I wasn't being sarcastic. If you need an EPG to tell you if a programme is native HD or upscaled then that is an issue on your end
    Now being the resident expert on HD can you tell me why RTE only highlight the sports programmes in orange(HD) on the sky guide and not all these other programmes that are shown in HD-you would have thought they would have been anxious to let everyone know they were being broadcast in HD and not upscaled SD - just in case there is any confusion for people whose sight is not as good as yours.

You will have to ask RTÉ why they don't highlight their programming as being in high definition on the EPG.

As for your little jab about me being the "resident expert" you might want to grow up a bit. You repeatedly posted the same rubbish again and again and I corrected you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cut it out please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pegasus1 wrote: »
    They have to seriously improve it for a start...picture wise....

They already have on some platforms. A new version was rolled out on the Samsung Smart TV platform a few weeks ago and the quality is great. Before RTE 1 HD came to Sky I would watch it on the Player as the quality is better, it's pretty much HD.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I thought the orange meant it also had to be originally filmed / recorded in HD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They already have on some platforms. A new version was rolled out on the Samsung Smart TV platform a few weeks ago and the quality is great. Before RTE 1 HD came to Sky I would watch it on the Player as the quality is better, it's pretty much HD.

I recently installed a new Samsung 2015 model JU7000 TV set. There is no sign of the RTE Player on this TV set that runs the Tizen operating system. However the TV3 and TG4 players are on it.

Still RTE1 HD geo-blocked here in NI under 'other channels' while RTE1+1 is in the clear. Strange isn't it? At least I have RTE1 HD on Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Has anything else become live on 12.266 H 27500 apart from RTE 1+1?

Has the RTE 2 HD other transponder (11758H) become live as well?

From DS
    Update

12.266 H, 27.500, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

"2804" (for RTE News Now)....Now carrying EPG data.

• Advertisement
Advertisement