Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90 Battery issue

• 30-08-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

I got a brand new D90 about 5-6 years ago. It's seen very little use, easily less than 10,000 shots, probably less than 5000 shutter actuations.

It generally gets left sitting in a drawer/camera bag until I want to take advantage of its extra reach with its crop factor. One thing I've noticed the past year is the battery draining to empty when being left in the camera, turned off and unused.

I went to charge the camera today and nothing. The charger is working and pushing out more than 8.4 volts as it should according to my multi meter. The battery on the other hand is showing absolutely no charge at all.
    The charger is saying the battery is fully charged.

I'm guessing the battery has been drained so much that its now useless or it was a defective battery. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

The only way I'll know is to get another battery and see if it works in the camera.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That looks like what happens when the battery is defective/dead. I have had that problem in the past and I was able to check with spare battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Cheers. I suspect it is the battery. I just need to get to a camera store and check one of their batteries before committing to buying a new one to make sure it isn't the actual camera.

0.00V coming from the battery leaves me pretty confident it's not the camera and the 8.4v coming from the charger leaves me confident it's not the charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

one of my D90 batteries died like that. Oddly it was the nikon that died, the 3rd party additional batteries which are pretty much the same age and just just as often are still perfect.

Advertisement