Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poultry farming viability

• 30-08-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all.

My wife and I are considering getting into poultry farming but are only in the very early stages of our research.
    We have got 2 sheds that were previously used as crop sheds, one is 95'x40' and the other is 100'x60'. We also have 5 acres adjacent to the sheds. Both are in great condition and have been sitting idle for a number of years.
    Neither of us have any real farming experience but are passionate about going in this direction.
    Is poultry farming a viable option for us and is there any one out there that could give us some sound advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭kerryjack

bobnbarney wrote: »
    Hi all.

My wife and I are considering getting into poultry farming but are only in the very early stages of our research.
    We have got 2 sheds that were previously used as crop sheds, one is 95'x40' and the other is 100'x60'. We also have 5 acres adjacent to the sheds. Both are in great condition and have been sitting idle for a number of years.
    Neither of us have any real farming experience but are passionate about going in this direction.
    Is poultry farming a viable option for us and is there any one out there that could give us some sound advise.

You could try a bit of free range if you can find a market for them local butchers or farmers market might work for you large scale poultry farming is big bussisnes huge layout in capital and small margins

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bobnbarney

kerryjack wrote: »
    You could try a bit of free range if you can find a market for them local butchers or farmers market might work for you large scale poultry farming is big bussisnes huge layout in capital and small margins

Thanks for the input. So in your opinion do you think that poultry farming is not a viable option. My father was in tillage for years but he eventually got out of it due to a few bad years 0ne after an other. I thought that we (myself my wife and my father) might be able to utilise the sheds and invest a bit of money and get back into farming, but just putting it out there to see if it is a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chezzie

My neighbour who is a dairy farmer is putting up a poultry house at present, egg production, bloody hell this house is massive, must be a grant of some sort available and we were wondering why he was bothering at all as 2 grown kids in Australia and he is in his mid 60's, must be a lot of money to be made in it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hollyhead

Check out Joel Salatin's Pastured Poultry Profits. I keep a small number of hens free range & (non certified) organically and am constantly surprised at how many people ask to buy when I mention killing some for the table. I'm not set up to sell yet but it seems there's a local market for good, genuinely free range birds, better still if organic (certification not such an issue if your market is local and you work on the basis of real trust). Not sure if anyone in Ireland is trying Salatin's methods of poultry production yet. As with any system, it would need to be adapted for the specific environment & conditions. Guessing there's a lot of potential, especially given the growing discomfort with intensive poultry production and it's knock on effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

hollyhead wrote: »
    Check out Joel Salatin's Pastured Poultry Profits. I keep a small number of hens free range & (non certified) organically and am constantly surprised at how many people ask to buy when I mention killing some for the table. I'm not set up to sell yet but it seems there's a local market for good, genuinely free range birds, better still if organic (certification not such an issue if your market is local and you work on the basis of real trust). Not sure if anyone in Ireland is trying Salatin's methods of poultry production yet. As with any system, it would need to be adapted for the specific environment & conditions. Guessing there's a lot of potential, especially given the growing discomfort with intensive poultry production and it's knock on effects.

If you are going to sell them you can't call them uncertified organic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

As Ganmo said you cannot sell food as organic or label it as such unless its certified. If you sell it as organic and its not you risk prosecution so not worth it.

https://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/organic_foodstuffs/organic_labelling_principles.html

Try free range first and try lads below to see what they pay as if you sell lots of H&S legislation so you need to be doing it on a certain scale.

http://www.chicken.ie/our-farmers.83.html

Advertisement