Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German, Chemistry or Both?

• 30-08-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there, I've recently found myself in a tricky situation in regards to subject choice. I'm about to go into fifth year and I thought I had everything sorted out. I was gonna do biology, chemistry, geography and German. I had also intended to do history as an extra subject for the points. Unfortunately due to timetable problems, I didn't get into any chemistry classes because it conflicted with the times for German class. So I didn't get chemistry and I was given history instead (My backup choice), which I cannot swap back for chemistry.

I have no way of getting into a chemistry class without giving up German class. This puts me in a dilemma. I want to do a combo of two science subjects, but I still want the opportunities that having a third language will give me in the future. I got an A in HL science for the Junior Cert and a C in HL German, so I'm probably going to swap German classes for chemistry, which would leave me having to learn German as an extra subject. This will be tricky since I'm not brilliant at German, but I still want to have it on-board. I'm pretty scared about studying language without a teacher.

I'm stuck and I only have a few days to make up my mind. Should I take German at OL? Maybe find a way to do chemistry as an extra subject? Drop one of them? I have no idea what career I'll be finding myself in the future. I am veering towards computer science, but I'm still unsure. Is there any advice I can get on how to approach all this? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you in Dublin?
    Plunket College (.pdf file) have a nightclass in HL Chemistry, if that is an option - Monday and Tuesday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are only taking German to meet entry requirements for college courses, then take it outside school at OL and take the pressure off and take bio, chem, hist, geog in school.

I've had quite a few students who've gone down that route in school in the last number of years where they know they would do better in sciences and felt that the foreign language was a waste of one of their higher level subjects where they could score higher in say chemistry. They took French/German at OL, maybe doing grinds in it once a week just to get the pass. If you did HL for Junior Cert and did OL for LC, there wouldn't be much new stuff to add on in terms of learning.

Advertisement