Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for a JIS #2 screwdriver to open brake fluid reservoir, suzuki

• 30-08-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

As the title says, anyone know where I could pick one of these screwdrivers up? Screws are not budging with a Phillips and I don't want to strip them.
    I understand the right fitting screwdriver is Japanese Industrial Standard, rather than a Phillips head, but I'm not having much luck, other than ordering from abroad which will likely take a few days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a small impact driver like this one and some valve grinding paste.
    Dab the valve grinding paste on the screw,tap the bit in and then fit the impact driver to the bit, then give it a rap with a hammer.
    These manual impact drivers used to be very common for older machines where the case screws were all Philips and hard to undo.
    JIS is the correct bit but when you are using the impact tool it spins out before the head strips in most cases.
    If it does strip just drill it off ,and wind it out with a vice grips and replace it with another countersunk screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Thanks, I have an impact driver, albeit a larger one, which got one of them out, but made a pigs mickey of the other screw. In the end I drilled a small hole in it and used an easy out to get it out. Carefully.
    I have replaced with countersunk allen heads and will replace the remaining ones once I get brave enough.
    That was only the beginning, though. Calipers seized on caliper mount too. Some craic with that. All good now though.
    That's a handy little tool for the money though, might get one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are refitting stainless screws use some anti-seize on them before you refit them.
    Stainless and alloy is worse than the regular fasteners and alloy.
    Copper grease is Ok but I prefer Mintex Ceratec, less messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Bought this set a while back for working on my XL, Vessel is all JIS as standard. includes two impact drivers.

http://www.vesseltools.co.uk/catalog/Vessel/9006HS.html

Advertisement