Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

referee was an absolute disgrace and gave Dublin nothing at all, Mayo's off the ball antics were disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No no, we only discuss Dublin wrongdoings in here.

A player needed 11 stitches, he was a massive loss for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If it's shown that ROC received his injury off the ball will it be dealt with, don't think so, it's COC who's been accused??? Golden Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I thought Dublin were more negative, 12 men behind the ball alot of the first half, game only open up because Dublin thought they won it.

Dublin should of had another red card, both weren't pens, if there was a head butt I hope gaa act on it.

They won't act. Ref was poor, Mayo hard done by

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

naughtb4 wrote: »
    A player needed 11 stitches, he was a massive loss for Dublin

I have yet to see a replay of that incident. What did happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Why did o Carroll need stitches?

Have heard it was a serious dig from o connor

There was absolutely nothing mentioned of it other than that he needed 10 stitches for it, just speculating but I doubt it was just a dig if it required ten stitches. Hope it was some kind of accidental clash. Awful for him, looked in bad Nick when he was taken off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Well that was the best and worst of Dublin, lucky in the end to get out of jail. Think they as Mr Brolly said of another team got done to them what only consenting adults do behind closed doors, it was never a penalty and some of the soft frees awarded were comical, black and red cards!!!

AOS drag down of cluxton was similar to MDMA😉

Agreed MDM was a harsh one as was the Bastick one. The Cian O'Sullivan one was cast iron, no question, player through on goals, possible goal chance. The Dublin penalty was dubious, the player seems to trip over his own feet. The Mayo one was slightly less dubious but another ref mightn't have given it. Overall the decisions probably balanced out. I think a replay is a fair outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

ArielAtom wrote: »
    If it's shown that ROC received his injury off the ball will it be dealt with, don't think so, it's COC who's been accused??? Golden Boy.

COC the most overrated player in the GAA? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Complete neutral here.

Let me start by saying that no one was robbed by the ref, although I thought that he had a poor game.
    Dublin were not at the races at all for long periods, which was really surprising and seemed to be getting needlessly dirty at times and there could be action to follow.

Mayo's penalty was by no way a penalty and there was also a free to Dublin in the build up- Philly McMahon should have been sent off and should be embarrassed by his dive.

Mayo did a Mayo and sh*t the bed when they had a chance to win it and can blame nothing but the cajones of their players who did their yearly bottle job.

Dublin were just so poor compared to what I know they can do and this game should really stand to them- Dublin to win the replay by a minimum of 4 (even without Connolly).

• Advertisement

kilns wrote: »

I remember a few Kerry lads saying that on here last year. Funny that. :rolleyes:

In fairness to the Mayo forwards, its hard to score from play when there's a Dublin defender jumping on your back or trying to knock your block off everytime you touch the ball. It's going to be a question of how many frees you get after that. Against a clean defence Mayo forwards would have scored more from play.

They won't act. Ref was poor, Mayo hard done by

Care to elaborate how they were hard done by? Genuinely interested. Thought the ref had a poor game for both sides.

Nothing to do with his ability, he's a superb footballer, but if it's shown he inflicted 10 stitches on an opponent he deserves a lengthy ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not sure about that. There was some pretty good defenders in those days, some only retired recently. Some of the kicking of the Mayo, Dublin and Kerry forwards in big games (not mickey mouse provincial games) has been awful in recent years compared to teams of ten or twenty years ago. And these are considered the top three teams in the country!

To take an example. One of the finest displays of point scoring I ever saw (in terrible conditions) was the Kerry v Galway game of 2008 when both sides still had outstanding forwards. You rarely seem exhibitions like that lately. Just teams trying to run the ball in under the crossbar. Maybe I'm being harsh, but the basic skills of football are disappearing fast. Anyways I won't say any more on the subject.

You've provided a prime example of exactly what I'm talking about.

That Galway Kerry match was played at not much more than challenge match pace and intensity and so it was easy to kick good scores.Kerry only piddled around and pulled away quite easily from Galway when the needed to.

Give me a bit of time and space on the ball and I'd look like a good footballer.

There was absolutely nothing mentioned of it other than that he needed 10 stitches for it, just speculating but I doubt it was just a dig if it required ten stitches. Hope it was some kind of accidental clash. Awful for him, looked in bad Nick when he was taken off

I just heard he "flattened him" from someone at the game.

Everything that happens in a game is captured by some camera, after 10 stitches (and a massive loss for Dublin) im disappointed we werent shown exactly what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I would expect both sides to be much better in the replay tbh, both were way below par today.

Mayo were way too reliant on the free-taking from O'Connor. He put on a masterclass but if Dublin weren't so stupid in their fouling, the game could have been dead and buried. That said, if Mayo had actually brought their shooting boots they could have won handily. Some woeful shooting, some woeful kick-passing... Dublin were nearly better off letting them shoot rather than foul them.

Not sure why Mayo didn't push up on the kick-outs. They did towards the end and Cluxton had a complete nightmare when he was under pressure. Moran should have goaled, he handed them the equalising score and missed 3 frees. Terrible showing from him.

As for Dublin themselves, their forwards were much better- I thought the Mayo backs were too far off their men for most of the game. Kilkenny & Andrews were getting on a nice bit of ball and scoring. The thing is despite having the beating of their men, Dublin never really kicked on- they never upped the pace or intensity of the game. They always looked more likely to score goals (and they did), McManamon's was a lovely finish but that should have been game over. Criminal from Mayo to let Dublin kick on from there and get the next few points but equally criminal from Dublin not to see that out. Mayo even took a free short and blazed it wide when they should have tapped it over... it looked like they were doing their best to lose.

The intensity of the game was decent but it did hit a bit of a lull and neither side hit pushed onto top gear- the hits were hard, the tackling was intense but in the end, it was Mayo who finally raised the intensity that extra bar and that got them the draw.

Ref was awful for both teams. Way too many incidents to talk about, but I would say some players were lucky- probably could have been another 2 red cards out there at least. Some of the digs going in on players on the ground in and around the head area isn't on imo- I know a lot of teams probably do it, but it should be clamped down upon.

You've provided a prime example of exactly what I'm talking about.

That Galway Kerry match was played at not much more than challenge match pace and intensity and so it was easy to kick good scores.Kerry only piddled around and pulled away quite easily from Galway when the needed to.

Give me a bit of time and space on the ball and I'd look like a good footballer.

Both sides scored excellent points from play from all angles and there were very few wides. Whatever about the Galway defence, the Kerry one was top notch. This was a Kerry team that competed in 6 All-Ireland finals in a row. You portray them as a pub team compared to todays supposed superstars.

That Kerry team in their prime against last years Kerry team. I know who I'd fancy.

Care to elaborate how they were hard done by? Genuinely interested. Thought the ref had a poor game for both sides.

The headbutt ( kinda soft one though (, was more so talking about Cooper). ...care to elaborate?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/gif-a-lot-of-people-think-johnny-cooper-should-have-been-sent-off-for-this/306846

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

The reality is Dublin imploded both teams got decisions but when you don't score for the last 15 minutes you'be only yourselves to blame

• Advertisement

Any Gavin interview after the game?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Another engineered draw by the GAA - Quelle surprise?

Did you see the Dublin manager instructing Stephen Cluxton to kick that last minute free wide? if it had gone over you don't want to know what the consequences would have been for him or the Dublin team.

Anyway Jim it's been a while since we last heard from you, how you're keeping well ;)

Did you see the Dublin manager instructing Stephen Cluxton to kick that last minute wide? if it had gone over you don't want to know what the consequences would have been for him or the Dublin team.

Anyway Jim it's been a while since we last heard from you, how you're keeping well ;)

Funny.

Maybe the GAA had Jim Gavin replaced before the game with a double, or Cluxton.

Not sure about engineering a replay. But there seems to be a tradition of giving a losing team a chance to get back into a game.

Anyways, Dublin threw away the game today. No-one to blame but themselves. Next they'll be talking about curses ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I remember a few Kerry lads saying that on here last year. Funny that. :rolleyes:

In fairness to the Mayo forwards, its hard to score from play when there's a Dublin defender jumping on your back or trying to knock your block off everytime you touch the ball. It's going to be a question of how many frees you get after that. Against a clean defence Mayo forwards would have scored more from play.

Seriously?

I seem to remember COC under no pressure 5 yards out and he kicked it straight into Cluxtons hands and for a lot of the Mayo forwards shocking play, they can blame nobody but themselves for being so poor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's good that Cluxton missed that free, because if Connolly was sent off the decision to give the free should've been overturned.

why should the decision to give that free be overturned?

It was great craic on twitter today seeing so many people not have a clue about rules and going mental over them. Probably the same on here, but I havent read back the thread.

Regardless of who may or may not have benefited most from the ref today, the one thing most would agree on was that he was utterly shambolic, and contributed largely to a very aggravated game of indiscipline and had no control over it.

Seriously?

I seem to remember COC under no pressure 5 yards out and he kicked it straight into Cluxtons hands and for a lot of the Mayo forwards shocking play, they can blame nobody but themselves for being so poor

Ah yeh fair point. There was some poor shooting from Mayo, its always been a problem these last few years. Dublin indiscipline stopped many scoring chances from play, but the mayo forwards missed a few alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Any Gavin interview after the game?

I'd say Gavin is livid with his players right about now.

When our backs were disciplined Mayo couldn't get through. It was the lazy tackling that keep Mayo in it.

Poor discipline cost us today, no doubt.

Very suspect that our best back gets taken off the ball in the first minute. Still haven't seen a replay but at the game it looked like COC cleaned him out off the ball.

The referring in football is absolutely abysmal these days. We need an AFL style system with multiple refs on the field. The amount of off the ball crap going on was disgraceful.

Any replays of Dermo's red? Looked like Keegan was trying to pull his head off with a headlock from where I sat.

Delighted to get a replay. I think we'll iron out alot of the faults from today and win by 5+ points next week.

PS, who'd volunteer to be a mod around these parts. I have a feeling they'll have a busy day or two trying to deal with this. Fair play lads/lasses.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

bruschi wrote: »

It was great craic on twitter today seeing so many people not have a clue about rules and going mental over them. Probably the same on here, but I havent read back the thread.

Regardless of who may or may not have benefited most from the ref today, the one thing most would agree on was that he was utterly shambolic, and contributed largely to a very aggravated game of indiscipline and had no control over it.

I don't agree. Lads behaving like animals is on them. The referee shouldn't be tasked with keeping lads honest. Unfortunately at this level honesty is a thing of the past in GAA.

Thought the referee got the vast majority of the technical decisions correct.

bruschi wrote: »

Exactly, and it wasn't even consistant awfulness. It's like he was making up the rules as he went along.

If your playing and a ref is that inconsistent how the hell are you supposed to know what can and cannot be done in the tackle. It's getting to be farsical at this stage.

The headbutt ( kinda soft one though (, was more so talking about Cooper). ...care to elaborate?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/gif-a-lot-of-people-think-johnny-cooper-should-have-been-sent-off-for-this/306846

Care to elaborate on what? I said in my original post the ref had a poor game for both sides for decisions just like this and plenty more for both sides. Are you honestly saying that Mayo had a clean game and were not awarded frees and opposition cards and sendings offs when they were due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Peist2007 wrote: »
    But the "little" they did do would cause Kerry massive trouble.Which we saw when Kerry continually coughed up space through the middle and goal chances galore against a lightweight Tyrone team in the semi last week.

Not from what we saw today it wouldn't imo.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    I don't agree. Lads behaving like animals is on them. The referee shouldn't be tasked with keeping lads honest. Unfortunately at this level honesty is a thing of the past in GAA.

Seriously??
    If a ref loses control of a game then you have to look after yourself on the field. Tis the way it's always been.

Care to elaborate on what? I said in my original post the ref had a poor game for both sides for decisions just like this and plenty more for both sides. Are you honestly saying that Mayo had a clean game and were not awarded frees and opposition cards and sendings offs when they were due?

Where did I saw Mayo had a clean game?

Thought it was obvious that I wanted you to elaborate on the cooper incident?

Feel free to take this to PM.On occasions like this is occasionally makes sense and avoids embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Tickets on sale www.tickets.ie

Its not just one ref. It will be the same next week regardless of the ref. Supposedly these refs are constantly going on courses and attending presentations at Croke Park and elsewhere. They should in theory know the rules inside out to the point that they don't even have to think about what is a black, yellow and red card. And yet they still make basic mistakes.

That said, most umpires seem clueless about the rules, when they are often the most important officials and closest to goalmouth action. The bigger the team, the more likely to get a decision. No-one is going to blow up a high profile forward for a push in the back of a defender when he goes on to score a classy goal, or turn down a penalty appeal from a footballer of the year.

Its not just one ref. It will be the same next week regardless of the ref. Supposedly these refs are constantly going on courses and attending presentations at Croke Park and elsewhere. They should in theory know the rules inside out to the point that they don't even have to think about what is a black, yellow and red card. And yet they still make basic mistakes.

That said, most umpires seem clueless about the rules, when they are often the most important officials and closest to goalmouth action. The bigger the team, the more likely to get a decision. No-one is going to blow up a high profile forward for a push in the back of a defender when he goes on to score a classy goal, or turn down a penalty appeal from a footballer of the year.

Fantastic point about the umpires

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

One of the worst games I have ever witnessed, stop, start, stop, start, free after free, horrible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

corny wrote: »

But there is no punishment for any misbehaviour anymore so if they can get away with it and it helps their team then I honestly can't blame the players for misbehaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Strong finish from Mayo and should probably have finished it out given Dublin's late meltdown but it was the reverse of the cliche that no-one deserved to lose. No-one deserved to win this one. To say the penalty was a terrible decision would be putting it mildly. However, Mayo showed the character to dig out a draw and probably deserved it for that alone. Neither team really grabbed the winning of this game when it was there to be won. Mayo going back to the bad old days kicking ridiculous wides when completely on top and only a point down early in the 2nd half and Dublin failing to kill Mayo off when coasting in the final 7 or 8 minutes. Paul Flynn going for an outrageous point from the sideline when there was an acre of space in front of him when Dublin were I think 6 points up. So many of Dublin's key men completely anonymous.

The momentum looks to be with Mayo but the next day is another game and Dublin have the benefit of their first real game in 12 months now under their belt. Two full houses next weekend in Dublin, the GAA and local businesses will be happy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Tbh my favourite moment was brolly cursing on live TV.

But there is no punishment for any misbehaviour anymore so if they can get away with it and it helps their team then I honestly can't blame the players for misbehaving.

Absolutely without condoning, yes i understand why they do it.

The anything to get an edge mentality is strongest in the best teams. It leads, with ever increasing frequency it seems, to deplorable actions on the pitch.

Despite the nonsense about losing control' the referee has no chance when 30 well drilled lads take to pitch with that mindset. Absolutely no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

bazermc wrote: »
    Tbh my favourite moment was brolly cursing on live TV.

Thought that was hilarious .... But bang on.
    If any Ulster team implemented such a game plan of cynical fouling like dublin did in the first half the media would be full of it

A lot being made of Dublind free count against. More should be focused on the refs performance, AOS Mayos only outlet, should have been black carded for the Cluxton hall down, completely different game if he'd have walked, Mayos only outlet in the 1st half.

cjmc wrote: »
    Thought that was hilarious .... But bang on.
    If any Ulster team implemented such a game plan of cynical fouling like dublin did in the first half the media would be full of it

I think people just listen to Brolly and accept that if he says something it must be true.

Dublin were ****e in the tackle all game. They were clumsy and naive but not definitely not cynical. How you know the difference? Why would you cynically foul playing an inept attacking unit but with a deadly freetaker? Surely the wisdom would be don't give away frees and allow them to kick wides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That was O Carroll, Cooper was taken out of it off the ball (as well?)

Was that why he decided to try and remove a lump of O'Connor's thigh ?
    How the ref missed coopers boot high intentional challenge is beyond me.
    And yes he got a lot more wrong including two penalties.

And I bet mickie Harte is watching TSG to see how they describe todays game.

I have said before on the few times I have posted here, the standard of gaelic football reffing is cr**.
    The players give all their time, as good as professionals at this stage and they are subject to shyt* reffing.

Saying that the very cynical attitudes now being adopted by teams is going to kill the game.
    The blackcards haven't solved it.
    Complete neutral here.

Let me start by saying that no one was robbed by the ref, although I thought that he had a poor game.
    Dublin were not at the races at all for long periods, which was really surprising and seemed to be getting needlessly dirty at times and there could be action to follow.

Mayo's penalty was by no way a penalty and there was also a free to Dublin in the build up- Philly McMahon should have been sent off and should be embarrassed by his dive.

Mayo did a Mayo and sh*t the bed when they had a chance to win it and can blame nothing but the cajones of their players who did their yearly bottle job.

Ahh FFS.
    Yes some of the players including some of the more reliable regulars like Andy M had some howlers of shots, but do not ever accuse them of no bottle or lacking cajones.

They have fooking balls the size of elephants in comparison to the marbles of some of their knockers.

How many other bunch of lads have taken the losses in All Irelands, and the semi loss last year was as painful as any final loss and picked themselves up again and given yet another year.
    And these aren't the first bunch of Mayo lads to have done it either.
    You can say that some of the players aren't good enough, which is fair enough.
    But don't ever fooking accuse them of lacking bottle or having no balls.
    :mad::mad:

They just keep coming back no matter what.

Just remember they were 7 points down today with less than 10 minutes to go and they kept going.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Just back from the game. Funny one. Drinking with Mayo fans after it. Almost an argument over who was most blessed. They thought they'd struck gold by forcing the replay. I thought we (Dublin) were sho**te and were lucky not to blow it.

Poor spectacle. Nasty game from the moment Flynn was pulled down for the pen. Don't think ether team or fans will be happy with the cynicality shown. We dealt with AOS well, he got away with some bizarre thigs such as hand passing to himself! Lucky that cooper and McMahon stayed on the field, as were Mayo with whoever left Rory O'Carroll prone in a pool of blood, a fair tackle doesn't do that. Connolly was prob a red, reputation didn't help, but surprised Keegan didn't see red for initiating it. (Anyway if kevin Keane can get a punch downgraded to a yellow, then maybe Diarmuid can too :) ). I can't pick a MOTM, O'Connor slotted some nice frees, McCafferey made some nice runs,

Hope next week is better as a spectacle, free flowing and without the nasty tense stuff.

jmayo wrote: »

Just remember they were 7 points down today with less than 10 minutes to go and they kept going.

Indeed. And I would just add, they keep coming back despite some atrocious refereeing decisions against them in recent years. Imagine a boxer fighting an opponent knowing that the three judges have probably decided the fight before a punch is thrown. But still fighting anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Have to say there was an awful lot of cynical play today and I think Brolly alluded to this at half time. Backs have perfected the art of 'ABS' tackling whereby they grab the forwards arm/waist/jersey momentarily and release and then repeat. Just enough to slow the opponent down. Then the a different back steps in.
    The follow through on opponents on the ground with elbows, closed fists and knees is really cynical and needs to be addressed. The Dublin number 4 Mc Mahon?was at it all day and the racking of the Mayo number 10 was violent play.
    If Connolly punched Keegan on the ground he deserved to go but shouldn't Keegan, who was involved in the pulling down, have been at least black carded as well? Thought Mayo kept in it by poor tackling by Dublin and Dublin should have been out of sight by the 63rd minute.
    Dublin lacked leadership on the field today but their subs played ok. Cluxton was very poor. Mayo forwards are so bad at simple point taking yet they could have won it in the end.

Poor game apart from last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

If the Sunday Game is true to form, they will spend most of the time covering these incidents. Will Whelo & McStay be as big a critic on violence as ever?

The pressure of the game got to a lot of players showing itself in violence,, ill discipline, arguing with ref, poor passes and shooting. Dublin had leaders in McCaffrey & Kilkenny. Mayo in the two O Connors & Higgins.

There's just too much going on for one referee. Also need citing commission to cut out the BS. Need to set a standard at the top level.

Spoke to a few people O Connor looks like he will be blessed to get away with his strike on O Carroll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

O'Shea cuddled Cluxton and it wasn't even a decent cuddle. I would have let Cluxtons little flick out ride too. Much Ado about nothing that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement