Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Spoke to a few people O Connor looks like he will be blessed to get away with his strike on O Carroll

Care to describe? I missed it but he looked glad to have gotten away with something from the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Care to describe? I missed it but he looked glad to have gotten away with something from the hill.

General consensus is there was off the ball ****e between them and O'Cnnor struck him, bit of a lack of agreement on whether it was an elbow or a fist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ixus wrote: »
    If the Sunday Game is true to form, they will spend most of the time covering these incidents. Will Whelo & McStay be as big a critic on violence as ever?

The pressure of the game got to a lot of players showing itself in violence,, ill discipline, arguing with ref, poor passes and shooting. Dublin had leaders in McCaffrey & Kilkenny. Mayo in the two O Connors & Higgins.

There's just too much going on for one referee. Also need citing commission to cut out the BS. Need to set a standard at the top level.

The one problem with analysing the incidents is that they will do so in isolation.
    There were countless times that 2 players just ended up on the ground off the ball - ref neither cares nor knows what happens and therefore nothing happens, rinse and repeat.

If the ref's and linesman can talk to each other (are they hooked up?), why did the incident involving connolly go on for so long before the ref got involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

AKO wrote: »
    Dublin and Kerry are as cynical, dirty and skilled in the "dark arts" as any Ulster team including Tyrone. The Golden Boys of the GAA will never be questioned by RTE or the Media, doesn't suit their narrative. Their narrative being that "Nordies = bad, dirty, negative thugs" "Kerry and Dubs = all out attack aristocrats , no dirty or negative play"

The spectacle today was laughable and Brolly was right with his comparision vs Tyrone-Monaghan. I suspect that RTEs Sunday Game, who seem to decide on bans not the CCC, will completely brush all under the carpet and go into hype mode. The only thugs I've seen in recent matches have been Connolly and McMahon, two salt of the earth Dubs. Of course butter wouldnt melt.

As for their fans, I used to like Dublin when they won nothing. Now they all start turning up in the Semi final and dont give a toss before hand. They'll be back at Leinster Rugby matches in years to come, when the money train that is Dublin GAA stops bringing success. They are bitter even when following a good side. Back to driving the taxis, moaning in the pubs and sitting in their offices crying about their referee for another week.

Can you blame them.

There is nothing more boring than attending a match you are almost certain to win.

Brolly was the main person in the media who caused the furore over the Tyrone Monaghan match so I really don't see how he can criticise any sort of over the top reaction to some counties play when he is responsible for it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just seen coopers challenge
    Red card !

Looks like AOS was denied a penalty in the first half. Mcquillen very lenient in the first half

Looks like AOS was denied a penalty in the first half.

was that before or after he pulled cluxton to the ground and therefore should have gotten a black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Dublin and Kerry are as cynical, dirty and skilled in the "dark arts" as any Ulster team including Tyrone.
    Very selective to only see one cynical side today. Must have missed cynical penalty foul, Keegan dragging Connolly to the ground etc? Neither team comes out with credit today.

As for the fan comment, no point in rising to it. Says more about you than any fan. Sad and pathetic comment.

Looks like AOS was denied a penalty in the first half.

Nah he slipped, not a pen and not a dive.

If thats given its a non contact sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Dublin and Kerry are as cynical, dirty and skilled in the "dark arts" as any Ulster team including Tyrone. The Golden Boys of the GAA will never be questioned by RTE or the Media, doesn't suit their narrative. Their narrative being that "Nordies = bad, dirty, negative thugs" "Kerry and Dubs = all out attack aristocrats , no dirty or negative play"

The spectacle today was laughable and Brolly was right with his comparision vs Tyrone-Monaghan. I suspect that RTEs Sunday Game, who seem to decide on bans not the CCC, will completely brush all under the carpet and go into hype mode. The only thugs I've seen in recent matches have been Connolly and McMahon, two salt of the earth Dubs. Of course butter wouldnt melt.

As for their fans, I used to like Dublin when they won nothing. Now they all start turning up in the Semi final and dont give a toss before hand. They'll be back at Leinster Rugby matches in years to come, when the money train that is Dublin GAA stops bringing success. They are bitter even when following a good side. Back to driving the taxis, moaning in the pubs and sitting in their offices crying about their referee for another week.

Look, whatever about the teams on display today that comment about the fans is way out of order. I've been to sporting events all over the World and the crowd at GAA games are the best fans around.

Head to any pub around around the ground today and you'd have seen both sets of supporters having a great time together. But then again you'd know this if you ever went to one, which you clearly haven't.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Look, whatever about the teams on display today that comment about the fans is way out of order. I've been to sporting events all over the World and the crowd at GAA games are the best fans around.

Head to any pub around around the ground today and you'd have seen both sets of supporters having a great time together. But then again you'd know this if you ever went to one, which you clearly haven't.

Dead right. A disgusting comment. Unsurprising to see the same poster trying to get a rise in the Dublin thread. Chip on the shoulder no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Patww79 wrote: »

2nd time round, McMahon punching Moran on the ground!

Ref was poor for both teams, not biased.

Mushy wrote: »

Was looking for this on the replay? did he not just punch the ball out of his hand?

I was expecting worse going on the comments here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Yeah- looked bad enough alright!

Really don't understand McMahon's pointless thuggery on the pitch as it diverts from what otherwise is usually a very good defensive performance

Patww79 wrote: »
    Stuff like that is rife around the country as they're bred to hate the 'dirty dubs'. The ones that actually travel up to games like this learn it's not like that at all. Great supporters and as good as any in the country.

Serious craic with the Mayo fans in the hill and afterwards. As I said we were falling over each other to argue who was more blessed. Just took offence to that silly comment. Guess he got his rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Reading this it seems everyone should have gotten a black or red card in this game!

Was looking for this on the replay? did he not just punch the ball out of his hand?

Can't tackle with a closed fist anyway, don't think he connected with the head either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Will Diarmuid Connolly be eligible to play in the replay after the straight red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Will Diarmuid Connolly be eligible to play in the replay after the straight red?

It'll probably be overturned anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭P_Cash

No

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Never liked Whelan as a player, but he's a very good analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Mc stay says Limerick is the venue for the replay . ??
    Odd choice. Think croke park would be a better choice if available

cjmc wrote: »
    Mc stay says Limerick is the venue for the replay . ??
    Odd choice. Think croke park would be a better choice if available

was a joke, its 5pm next Saturday in Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Ace2007 wrote: »
    was a joke, its 5pm next Saturday in Croke Park

Surely it should be in Castlebar :)

Only fair to give Mayo a home game next .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

When are tickets available for replay ?

Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Id be more disappointed if I was a Mayo fan. The game was there to be won twice but the first time they lacked the quality to kick easy scores and the 2nd time they didnt have the balls or bottle to finish the Dubs when they were on the ropes. Its all well and good playing without fear when youre 7 points down but today showed again why they always fail to get the job done on the big day-fear takes over at crucial points in all big games,it used to be in the 1sr ten minutes, these days its usually in the 2nd half when the games in the melting pot.

Based on today you'd have to fancy Dublin in the replay-they have a number of excellent forwards who can kick great scores under pressure and Mayo have none of those. Connolly is a loss although he has a history of gettin off suspensions for red cards in semi finals.

I think Mayos only chance is to commit more players to attack and play their natural game.That could cause Dublin some problems.

Only in the GAA is feigning injury worse than splitting someone open :)

Reckon O'Connor will get away with that, very surprising we werent shown that earlier

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads, keep it civil and within the forum charter - number of posters banned already. If it is an obvious troll, report the post and we will deal with it rather than engaging with said troll

harpsman wrote: »
    Id be more disappointed if I was a Mayo fan. The game was there to be won twice but the first time they lacked the quality to kick easy scores and the 2nd time they didnt have the balls or bottle to finish the Dubs when they were on the ropes. Its all well and good playing without fear when youre 7 points down but today showed again why they always fail to get the job done on the big day-fear takes over at crucial points in all big games,it used to be in the 1sr ten minutes, these days its usually in the 2nd half when the games in the melting pot.

Based on today you'd have to fancy Dublin in the replay-they have a number of excellent forwards who can kick great scores under pressure and Mayo have none of those. Connolly is a loss although he has a history of gettin off suspensions for red cards in semi finals.

I think Mayos only chance is to commit more players to attack and play their natural game.That could cause Dublin some problems.
    Both teams need another game, Kerry would beat the best of those teams today.

Whelos a great analyst, balanced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Doubt if Connolly's red card can be rescinded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Do you get first refusal for purchasing tickets if you had tickets for today?

Very disappointed by today glut because the game was uninspiring and ugly, everything a game from these two excellent teams should not be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Looking at the Mayo penalty again, it was a stonewaller. McMahon clearly tripped him, difficult to see in real time.

Reckon O'Connor will get away with that, very surprising we werent shown that earlier

I assume its cos of the furore over Tyrone a few weeks back they focussed on it.

O Connor could, and should, find himself in trouble as well. McMahon won't be playing the replay anyway, be shocked to see Connolly line out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It's a gas listening to Tomas O'Se pontificating about players needing to keep their discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

As O Carroll was coming off the field with blood spurting from a head wound Dessie Dolan joked that him and his marker were getting to know each other. :D:D Its ok if its manly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nib wrote: »
    Looking at the Mayo penalty again, it was a stonewaller. McMahon clearly tripped him, difficult to see in real time.

Clueless defending in fairness, you just can't go charging in like that.

I assume its cos of the furore over Tyrone a few weeks back they focussed on it.

O Connor could, and should, find himself in trouble as well. McMahon won't be playing the replay anyway, be shocked to see Connolly line out too.

Its fairly typical of the alpha male world of the GAA.

All three should be out, be interesting to see what happens. I just cannot see them banning O'Connnor

Basically the only incident that was really highlight was coppers' which the ref gave a yellow for - can that be revised?

Connolly's incident - doesn't actually show him making contact with the mayo man - just show's a punch being thrown. - he was clearly targeted off the ball when he layed the ball off.

Elbow on O'Carroll went unpunished.

So basically from looking at the highlights, guy who elbow o'carroll should have been red, cooper should have seen red, Mahon possible red (headbutt made no contact, but per the rules) and Connolly i think just a yellow, and o'shea should have had a black for the pull down on cluxton.

O'shea gets black there and that's an entirely different game for mayo - bigger lost than cooper/mahon for dublin.

I'm Glad that highlight there was a lot of out the ball (off TV) players being taken out of it - though the refs never do anything.

Seen it live from the hill and TSG now, my verdict:

Dub penalty - definite trip, probably marginally outside. No pen.

Mayo pen - McMahon knees him, correct call.

MDMA - not a black card in a million years.

Bastick - looked like he fell into Moran, not a black card having watched again.

Connolly/Keegan - it seems harsh but rules are the rules, Diarmuids an idiot for throwing that fairy punch. He might well get away with it after Keane did.

McMahon probably could've got 2 reds, Cooper probably deserved red too.

COS deserved black.

AOS on Cluxton foul could've been black, definitely worse than McAuleys.

I looked away for a second and missed the ROC incident, drives me insane that they didn't analyse it properly. Sounds like Cillian is lucky.

That probably doesn't even cover half of it but from my viewing Joe got a lot if it wrong. In his defence the game was a mess.

The RTE graphics make all the players look like podgy bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Basically the only incident that was really highlight was coppers' which the ref gave a yellow for - can that be revised?

Connolly's incident - doesn't actually show him making contact with the mayo man - just show's a punch being thrown. - he was clearly targeted off the ball when he layed the ball off.

Elbow on O'Carroll went unpunished.

So basically from looking at the highlights, guy who elbow o'carroll should have been red, cooper should have seen red, Mahon possible red (headbutt made no comment, but per the rules) and Connolly i think just a yellow, and o'shea should have had a black for the pull down on cluxton

I'm Glad that highlight there was a lot of out the ball (off TV) players being taken out of it - though the refs never do anything.

Still he threw the punch while holding the man on the ground, that is a red unfortunately!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Course he will, and as a Mayo supporter I wouldn't want it any other way. If Keane can get off so can Connelly. ....

But the gaa need a real fr Brennan type kick up the fcuking ar5e.
    The standard of reffing is beyond a joke.
    Amateur guys giving their all, most of them with jobs to go to the next day (not incl students as that's not a job)
    And for refs to be that terrible is not fair on the players who give their time freely and supporters who give over their hard earned money
    I go to the league games and it's not fcuking cheap. I can't go to AI series as circumstances don't permit. But if I did I don't want to be short changed cos of the guy that's supposed to ref the game properly.
    And sure as hell the players feel the same way....

The gaa is far removed from its amateur ethos nowadays, so less of the bs poor mouth shltetalk and start giving people what they want.
    A fair and balanced reffing system with linemens that can make decisions and umpires that can do something more than stand around looking like a pair of headless tellytubbies.

Still he threw the punch while holding the man on the ground, that is a red unfortunately!!!

but others have gotten off in the pass for throwing punches - so is it a different rule for a Dublin man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Its fairly typical of the alpha male world of the GAA.

All three should be out, be interesting to see what happens. I just cannot see them banning O'Connnor

Ban him for what?

Obviously something went on when a lad needs stitches, but when it's not picked up on camera then there's little they can do.

There could be a case, a fairly weak one, for him throwing a punch at Connolly as he was lifting him off Keegan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement