Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I looked away for a second and missed the ROC incident, drives me insane that they didn't analyse it properly. Sounds like Cillian is lucky.

That probably doesn't even cover half of it but from my viewing Joe got a lot if it wrong. In his defence the game was a mess.

Kevin McStay brushed over it and instead rolled his wont-someone-think-of-the-children routine out for mcmahons head wobble

Then he awards Cillian man of the match :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PARlance wrote: »
    Ban him for what?

Obviously something went on when a lad needs stitches, but when it's not picked up on camera then there's little they can do.

There could be a case, a fairly weak one, for him throwing a punch at Connolly as he was lifting him off Keegan.

They just showed him throwing an elbow in the Sunday game that resulted in 11 stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ace2007 wrote: »
    but others have gotten off in the pass for throwing punches - so is it a different rule for a Dublin man?

No its not a different rule for a Dublin player, but throwing a punch like that is wreckless and stupid and unfortunately the opposition will target Connolly and wind him up, while its not right and defenders need to cut it out and the referee an linesmen do need to crack down on it, his reaction simply resulted in a red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kupus wrote: »
    Course he will, and as a Mayo supporter I wouldn't want it any other way. If Keane can get off so can Connelly. ....

But the gaa need a real fr Brennan type kick up the fcuking ar5e.
    The standard of reffing is beyond a joke.
    Amateur guys giving their all, most of them with jobs to go to the next day (not incl students as that's not a job)
    And for refs to be that terrible is not fair on the players who give their time freely and supporters who give over their hard earned money
    I go to the league games and it's not fcuking cheap. I can't go to AI series as circumstances don't permit. But if I did I don't want to be short changed cos of the guy that's supposed to ref the game properly.
    And sure as hell the players feel the same way....

The gaa is far removed from its amateur ethos nowadays, so less of the bs poor mouth shltetalk and start giving people what they want.
    A fair and balanced reffing system with linemens that can make decisions and umpires that can do something more than stand around looking like a pair of headless tellytubbies.

Linesman made the call regarding Connolly. I know the ref didn't get much right, but they also give up their time and don't deserve to have 30 adults act like petulant children making it near impossible to ref a game.
    Ban him for what?

Obviously something went on when a lad needs stitches, but when it's not picked up on camera then there's little they can do.

There could be a case, a fairly weak one, for him throwing a punch at Connolly as he was lifting him off Keegan.

He was pulled off the ball and he flung his arm backwards and clobbered him on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Doesn't matter if he was the best player on the field during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

No its not a different rule for a Dublin player, but throwing a punch like that is wreckless and stupid and unfortunately the opposition will target Connolly and wind him up, while its not right and defenders need to cut it out and the referee an linesmen do need to crack down on it, his reaction simply resulted in a red

But Keane got his red downgraded to a yellow for a punch, so why shouldn't Connolly?

Like i said different rule for a Dub, or fair rules for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Peist2007 wrote: »
    In my opinion the winner of the replay will win Sam yes. The current Kerry team were poxed to get to the final last year and i find their defence to be extremely underwhelming. On ability and physicality i think they are behind Mayo and Dublin.

I'll hold you to this comment, if kerry win it, it will be a poxy 2 in a row sure!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Mushy wrote: »
    Linesman made the call regarding Connolly. I know the ref didn't get much right, but they also give up their time and don't deserve to have 30 adults act like petulant children making it near impossible to ref a game.

Who people forget has to go back into work the next day exactly like the players, who most of the time come out with some positives, whereas referees get nothing right according to the media

Maybe it is time for professional referees, though I know the panel that are there are regularly tested physically and assessed on the rules, and on their games. Biggest problem is decisions made on the field not being accepted by counties and then going through the CCCC and DRP appealing their case, when in a lot of cases they were in the wrong, and the referee in the right, but it comes down on the side of the player. That doesn't help referees at all

But Keane got his red downgraded to a yellow for a punch, so why shouldn't Connolly?

Like i said different rule for a Dub, or fair rules for all?

Unfortunately for Connollys reputation, he would be targeted in this instance by the opposition, if it to be downgraded let the authorities deal with this, but in open play, it was a red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think Connolly wont get a rescind based on rep, same for Philly who'll probably get banned. Choir boy O Connor will line out next Saturday though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Mushy wrote: »

He was pulled off the ball and he flung his arm backwards and clobbered him on the head.

And where was the call for Aos challenge on clux, coc tackle on roc, cooper nearly breaking coc leg, phils headbutt on Aos, etc etc etc there's too much in the game nowadays for one ref to process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Filthy match, there will be some craic with the scrapping next week, rotten foul by coopers and McMahon should be banned for his carry on, hope the next game is better

That elbow may well end Rory's career, he said himself one more concussion and he'll pack it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

kupus wrote: »
    And where was the call for Aos challenge on clux, coc tackle on roc, cooper nearly breaking coc leg, phils headbutt on Aos, etc etc etc there's too much in the game nowadays for one ref to process.

They will come in when asked or they signal. A few you have just mentioned the ref had actioned on them (Cooper, AOS). But yeah, I can agree there is too much for one ref, but that isn't their fault then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

That elbow may well end Rory's career, he said himself one more concussion and he'll pack it in.

Obviously there was a lot of blood and he got stitches but I didn't see any hint of a concussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Still he threw the punch while holding the man on the ground, that is a red unfortunately!!!

Connolly was in a headlock when he threw the punch (not visible to the linesman who called it). He was brought to ground, as was explained in the Sunday Game...

He threw a punch, but would be a shame to see targeting a player rewarded so well.

I can see Connollys being rescinded, far enough away from linesmen to be sure of a proper strike and camera angle is miles away. McMahon will get a ban though. No hope of o Connor ban, arm seemed to go back instinctively and never turned to look at man behind him. Assume nothing more will come of Coopers challenge, which personally I see as worse than mcmahons headbutt, could have done serious damage to the mayo lads knee

blackcard wrote: »
    Obviously there was a lot of blood and he got stitches but I didn't see any hint of a concussion

I was in the hill behind him, his legs didn't look steady. Let's how it wasn't but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Grudaire wrote: »
    Connolly was in a headlock when he threw the punch (not visible to the linesman who called it). He was brought to ground, as was explained in the Sunday Game...

He threw a punch, but would be a shame to see targeting a player rewarded so well.

Were we watching the same match?? Connolly was on top of Keegan and had him pinned down when he threw the punch. That was pure thuggery and nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Who people forget has to go back into work the next day exactly like the players, who most of the time come out with some positives, whereas referees get nothing right according to the media

Maybe it is time for professional referees, though I know the panel that are there are regularly tested physically and assessed on the rules, and on their games. Biggest problem is decisions made on the field not being accepted by counties and then going through the CCCC and DRP appealing their case, when in a lot of cases they were in the wrong, and the referee in the right, but it comes down on the side of the player. That doesn't help referees at all

Now we are getting to the nub of the problem, a panel of eijits on the cccc who looks like they are told what to do by others. It's making a mockery of the game. Players getting sent off only for their cards to be rescinded.
    These things can be easily fixed onsite by the use of a TV ref in the stands for inter county games.
    Instead of waiting for a panel of eijits to take a decision a few days later.
    Fair enough refs have a job to go to the next day, but they're not the ones training day in and day out for a fair chance at winning a Celtic cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

naughtb4 wrote: »
    They just showed him throwing an elbow in the Sunday game that resulted in 11 stitches

Just seeing that now.
    By the letter of the law it was a black card for an off the ball pull back and then a red for O'Connor lashing out... but I doubt there'll be any action taken unless they feel pressurised to evening things out.

The 11 stitches is irrelevant really and is just being used to create a bit of hysteria. That kind of thing was going on all over the field. Lads being pulled back and trying to break free.
    He caught a soft spot on the face, it wouldn't have caused a bruise if he connected anywhere else.

For the reason that it is so prevalent, it would be harsh. But I wouldn't be surprised with them acting on it.

Filthy match, there will be some craic with the scrapping next week, rotten foul by coopers and McMahon should be banned for his carry on, hope the next game is better

If you watched the highlight, the first score of the game, by Mayo, the commentator alluded to an off the ball tussel, this was copper taken out of it by the Mayo player - nothing done to it, there was all sorts going on, and copper obv reacted later - which he shouldn't - but you need to look at everything that led up to it, in theory - if Mayo man pulled copper to the ground - it's a straight black. like copper's is probably a red.

But is it fair to revised yellow/red cards - and constantly let off the ball pulling down go unpunished? Lets not forget 3 black cards = missing one match - why not review the game and hand out retrospective blacks against players, and so if a player has 2 in the past - will now miss the replay, or if he has one, now he has 2 and if he gets one on Saturday he'll miss the final?

The punishment for a black card should be more, i.e. miss the next game or something - cause as it is 3 blacks - it's highly unlikely that you'll get that many.

As i said he does have this in his locker and he needs to cut it out, hence the targeting by the defenders as they know they type of reaction they'll get, but as I said, it was wreckless and it did result in a red

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

McQuilin couldnt ref an under 10s match.Awful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Just seeing that now.
    By the letter of the law it was a black card for an off the ball pull back and then a red for O'Connor lashing out... but I doubt there'll be any action taken unless they feel pressurised to evening things out.

The 11 stitches is irrelevant really and is just being used to create a bit of hysteria. That kind of thing was going on all over the field. Lads being pulled back and trying to break free.
    He caught a soft spot on the face, it wouldn't have caused a bruise if he connected anywhere else.

For the reason that it is so prevalent, it would be harsh. But I wouldn't be surprised with them acting on it.

You haven't a clue of the law. Man has to be taken to the ground.

As a Mayo fan I would agree. Not something I would be happy with at all.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Were we watching the same match?? Connolly was on top on Keegan and had him pinned down when he threw the punch. That was pure thuggery and nothing less.

How did Connolly end up on the ground, he layed the ball off and went to catch up with play. It's clear all night long that he was dragged to the ground by the Mayo man - Sunday Game analysed highlighted this, you can then see he's in a headlock. it seems to be ok to do all of this, and not get a red card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

JeffKenna wrote:
    Were we watching the same match?? Connolly was on top on Keegan and had him pinned down when he threw the punch. That was pure thuggery and nothing less.

Yeah, I was there too! :-)

You can barely make it out in the Sunday game, but he was in a headlock when he threw the punch. I was looking from the Cusack stand side.

If you watched the highlight, the first score of the game, by Mayo, the commentator alluded to an off the ball tussel, this was copper taken out of it by the Mayo player - nothing done to it, there was all sorts going on, and copper obv reacted later - which he shouldn't - but you need to look at everything that led up to it, in theory - if Mayo man pulled copper to the ground - it's a straight black. like copper's is probably a red.

But is it fair to revised yellow/red cards - and constantly let off the ball pulling down go unpunished? Lets not forget 3 black cards = missing one match - why not review the game and hand out retrospective blacks against players, and so if a player has 2 in the past - will now miss the replay, or if he has one, now he has 2 and if he gets one on Saturday he'll miss the final?

The punishment for a black card should be more, i.e. miss the next game or something - cause as it is 3 blacks - it's highly unlikely that you'll get that many.

Too messy, if you were going by that you'd be adding 10 cards and taking away the 2 that were actually given, and it's all so subjective. I liked the black card initially but its so grey and has been poorly reffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

A game like today highlights the need for 2 refs imo. It's simply impossible to see even half what's going on.
    Only problem is the rules being applied at a subjective level.

Whatever about everyone moaning about the ref, sooner or later players and management have to decide themselves to play the game right. Pulling and dragging everywhere, players diving, pulling arm opponents arm in to con the ref. Teams themselves have to take a portion of the blame.

• Advertisement

No chance of O'Connor being banned but McMahon will because of his "reputation"

Yeah, I was there too! :-)

You can barely make it out in the Sunday game, but he was in a headlock when he threw the punch. I was looking from the Cusack stand side.

Been dragged down and held into the ground, thats a yellow I suppose, but throwing a punch into the opponent, its asking for trouble........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I think it will go one of two ways for Connolly. 1) so many things went on in the game that the board will rescind the red or 2) they'll leave it stand to set an example hoping replay will be cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How did Connolly end up on the ground, he layed the ball off and went to catch up with play. It's clear all night long that he was dragged to the ground by the Mayo man - Sunday Game analysed highlighted this, you can then see he's in a headlock. it seems to be ok to do all of this, and not get a red card?

Yes he was dragged to the ground originally by Keegan but you're incorrect to say he was in a headlock when he threw the punch, he was on top and had Keegan pinned to the ground and then threw the punch. Big difference right there to what your saying. Maybe go back and watch it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Yep. When I was watching the game live there were posters on here saying Connolly was a dirty player and worse etc. and the incident wasn't even scrutunised properly. Turns out, Connolly was reacting to a player attacking him for no reason.

Connolly should get off 'cos the Mayo player started the incident, in my view.

Miccoli wrote: »
    No chance of O'Connor being banned but McMahon will because of his "reputation"

What reputation is this? When was McMahon or Connolly last sent off?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Im after beating the system there and got 4 Upper Cusack for the replay. If anyone doesn't want to go through the rigmarole of getting tickets, i'll swap all 4 for 2 tickets for the hurling final

jon1981 wrote: »
    Read the thread just made about him.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    A game like today highlights the need for 2 refs imo. It's simply impossible to see even half what's going on.
    Only problem is the rules being applied at a subjective level.

Whatever about everyone moaning about the ref, sooner or later players and management have to decide themselves to play the game right. Pulling and dragging everywhere, players diving, pulling arm opponents arm in to con the ref. Teams themselves have to take a portion of the blame.

Only thing that we solve the problem is a TMO like in Rugby. But then there is the problem at what stage does the ref go to the TMO, there are off the ball incidents every minute of the game. You don't that in Rugby - maybe it's because the players are getting paid, and are professional about it.

The Moto of the GAA is lost - Give Respect, Get Respect - thats being lost the last few years.
    Been dragged down and held into the ground, thats a yellow I suppose, but throwing a punch into the opponent, its asking for trouble........

You suppose? dragging down is a black card. putting a player into a headlock while on the ground is a minimum yellow.

It's not right to target players in my opinion, if you can't beat them fairly then why try to play dirty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jon1981 wrote: »

Philly has never been sent off in a championship game. He was sent off for the first and only time, last year, during a league game.

Dunno about Connolly.

corny wrote: »
    You haven't a clue of the law. Man has to be taken to the ground.

I've a fair idea alright. However, I was wrong in saying black card, should have read noted.

Nothing the law about having to be taken to the ground necessarily afaik.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Philly has never been sent off in a championship game. He was sent off for the first and only time, last year, during a league game.

Dunno about Connolly.

Thats why its unfair to call them dirty. McMahon is a tough player. I thought Connolly has cleaned up his game since his last sending off in 2011. A lot of nonsense been talked about here calling them dirty based on one game.

ProudDUB wrote: »

Dunno about Connolly.

In fairness, talk about McMahon having a 'reputation' is a bit off the mark. He tackles hard but is rarely sent off. Connolly is a different matter. Great player. But very dirty and has the track record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Feckin tickets.ie is rammed with traffic for tickets...guessing another sell out. Anyone have any luck? Timing out and not loading for me for the last 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

okay long time since I've watched a match like this on tell, usually sitting in the hogan, first half Dublin had mayo beat, quick short kick outs great build up easy scores,

poor discipline kept Mayo in it,definitely think Dub should have had two black cards in first half, very hard game to ref every time a player fell to ground it was a free (except when o'Shea in the box)

second half mayo completely over ran Dublin could and should have won by more, Dubs got a bit of a lucky goal and went 7 up against the run of play i said end of game (ill show my text i sent to my father)on 62 mins

unbelievable last ten mins should have won it but fair result,

in conclusion after seeing the replays and slow mo very disappointed with the Dublin fouling, Mayo just as bad but not as obvious, really hard game to referee but did his best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Connolly threw a punch. Earlier in the game, in the McMahon headbutt incident, he had his arm in a players face while on the ground. He was shaping and lipping all game. He absolutely deserved to be sent off and should take his punishment.

munster87 wrote: »
    In fairness, talk about McMahon having a 'reputation' is a bit off the mark. He tackles hard but is rarely sent off. Connolly is a different matter. Great player. But very dirty and has the track record.

Connoly got a joke of a red card against donegal in 2011 and has been targeted every game since , hard not to react when lee keegan has you in headlock

Feckin tickets.ie is rammed with traffic for tickets...guessing another sell out. Anyone have any luck? Timing out and not loading for me for the last 2 hours

Got in earlier this evening on about the 10th attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Miccoli wrote: »
    Read the thread just made about him.

Think you may need to look up the definition of reputation.
    That thread was started today and I couldn't find any previous threads about him.

Only thing that we solve the problem is a TMO like in Rugby. But then there is the problem at what stage does the ref go to the TMO, there are off the ball incidents every minute of the game. You don't that in Rugby - maybe it's because the players are getting paid, and are professional about it.

The Moto of the GAA is lost - Give Respect, Get Respect - thats being lost the last few years.

You suppose? dragging down is a black card. putting a player into a headlock while on the ground is a minimum yellow.

It's not right to target players in my opinion, if you can't beat them fairly then why try to play dirty?

I was linking the 2 incidents together leading to the yellow, instead of separating them, but your right, if you cant beat them fairly then why try to play dirty, the off the ball incidents from both sides was unreal, should video replay be brought in, I dunno, would the powers that be, be in favour of it???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement