Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Philly's far from clean. He's tough and fair a lot of the time but gets away with plenty, eg. often throws late digs after a tackle has been made. Watch the aftermath of the foul for the penalty today. Just because he hasn't been carded doesn't mean he hasn't deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

lebowsky wrote: »
    Think you may need to look up the definition of reputation.
    That thread was started today and I couldn't find any previous threads about him.

The world doesnt revolve around boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

jon1981 wrote: »
    Thats why its unfair to call them dirty. McMahon is a tough player. I thought Connolly has cleaned up his game since his last sending off. A lot of nonsense been talked about here calling them dirty based on one game.

it's just anti Dublin - Should Connolly be targeted in every single game? o'se wrote it in article for a paper, that teams should target him because he's a hot headed - Is that the way you want players/management to behave in future.

If Sky had a player cam on Connolly than i think the views of him being a Dirty player would change when they saw what has to put up with throughout a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Miccoli wrote: »
    Connoly got a joke of a red card against donegal in 2011 and has been targeted every game since , hard not to react when lee keegan has you in headlock

I think people know he has a bit of a temper and target him as a result. Can't speak from experience about being in a keegan headlock myself but I'll take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Miccoli wrote: »
    The world doesnt revolve around boards.ie

While I agree with you. I still believe that if he was the subject of a reputation he would would surely have been mentioned on one of the most visited sites in the country. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    it's just anti Dublin - Should Connolly be targeted in every single game? o'se wrote it in article for a paper, that teams should target him because he's a hot headed - Is that the way you want players/management to behave in future.

If Sky had a player cam on Connolly than i think the views of him being a Dirty player would change when they saw what has to put up with throughout a game.

There's at least one player in almost every club/county team in the country that has to deal with this nowadays. The way football has gone. Macho ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I don't see how it is anti-Dublin. The lads have reputations from previous incidents, not because of where they're from. Connolly doesn't get any worse treatment than we've seen Murphy or McManus get this year. I haven't seen anybody take massive insult to it until today.

Incidentially, was it last year or two years ago the two of then started a scrap on a touch line during a club championship game after one was sent off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

While Connolly might have a case for having the red card rescinded due to provocation and the like, the guy does himself no favours generally and has a nasty streak to him which he showed when repeatedly shoving Diarmuid O'Connors head into the ground. In fact a number of the Dublin players have this nasty streak about them which wins them no fans. Is there really a need for this childish cowardly behaviour off the ball? No-one has a problem with manly play but they have a problem with niggling and other crap that goes on such as the Cooper high challenge.

munster87 wrote: »
    There's at least one player in almost every club/county team in the country that has to deal with this nowadays. The way football has gone. Macho ****e

But that doesn't make it right, it doesn't mean that when said player reacts that the media and every dog on the street abuses them and talks about their past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Keegan got a yellow for dragging him to the ground and Connolly got a red for the punch !!! fairly black and white in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

lebowsky wrote: »
    While I agree with you. I still believe that if he was the subject of a reputation he would would surely have been mentioned on one of the most visited sites in the country. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary.
    His run in with Connoly in the dublin championship final and other alleged fights at training sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I don't see how it is anti-Dublin. The lads have reputations from previous incidents, not because of where they're from. Connolly doesn't get any worse treatment than we've seen Murphy or McManus get this year. I haven't seen anybody take massive insult to it until today.

Incidentially, was it last year or two years ago the two of then started a scrap on a touch line during a club championship game after one was sent off?

They didn't have a scrap on the sideline. They were both sent off for fighting on the pitch. McMahon continued to mouth at Connolly on the sideline. But Connolly did not react (despite almost all of Parnell Park trying to goad him into it). He may have reacted but was held back by his team-mates / mentors. Think it was 2 years ago. That's how I remember it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Philly's far from clean. He's tough and fair a lot of the time but gets away with plenty, eg. often throws late digs after a tackle has been made. Watch the aftermath of the foul for the penalty today. Just because he hasn't been carded doesn't mean he hasn't deserved it.

Not to mention this
    http://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-time-that-philly-mcmahon-bit-paul-kerrigan/76705

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yep. When I was watching the game live there were posters on here saying Connolly was a dirty player and worse etc. and the incident wasn't even scrutunised properly. Turns out, Connolly was reacting to a player attacking him for no reason.

Connolly should get off 'cos the Mayo player started the incident, in my view.

If that happens it will be one of the biggest jokes of all time. What is the point of the referee even being there or giving the card?

As far as I'm aware provocation is not in the rule book, and nor should it be used as an excuse.

But that doesn't make it right, it doesn't mean that when said player reacts that the media and every dog on the street abuses them and talks about their past.

Never said it was right. It just means top players need to be able to keep their cool, no matter what is thrown at them. I'm assuming Colm Cooper has had a lot of abuse at every level in his career. Have yet to see him react like Connolly. That's the difference in being able to keep your head. Especially in an AI semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Seen it live from the hill and TSG now, my verdict:

Dub penalty - definite trip, probably marginally outside. No pen.

Mayo pen - McMahon knees him, correct call.

MDMA - not a black card in a million years.

Bastick - looked like he fell into Moran, not a black card having watched again.

Connolly/Keegan - it seems harsh but rules are the rules, Diarmuids an idiot for throwing that fairy punch. He might well get away with it after Keane did.

McMahon probably could've got 2 reds, Cooper probably deserved red too.

COS deserved black.

AOS on Cluxton foul could've been black, definitely worse than McAuleys.

I looked away for a second and missed the ROC incident, drives me insane that they didn't analyse it properly. Sounds like Cillian is lucky.

That probably doesn't even cover half of it but from my viewing Joe got a lot if it wrong. In his defence the game was a mess.
    I have never been a fan of Mc Quillan's, I think he is a very poor ref. However he was put in an impossible position today by the players and any blame for the mess today lies firmly at their feet. Both teams were nasty and petulant and engaged in off the ball nastiness on a consistent basis.
    Tyrone have rightly been criticised for their antics recently but the behaviour of both teams today was as bad as anything we have seen from Tyrone.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Keegan got a yellow for dragging him to the ground and Connolly got a red for the punch !!! fairly black and white in my opinion

and there was me thinking dragging/pulling a player to the ground was a black card as per the rules of the game.

You see it's not fairly black and white - if you saying it's a yellow and not a black?
    Like O'shea should have gotten a black in the first half.

munster87 wrote: »
    Never said it was right. It just means top players need to be able to keep their cool, no matter what is thrown at them. I'm assuming Colm Cooper has had a lot of abuse at every level in his career. Have yet to see him react like Connolly. That's the difference in being able to keep your head. Especially in an AI semi final.

Cooper is playing a different role though, and is respected by a lot of players, probably too much in games, and therefore isn't targeted. He seeks to stay away from situations where as Connolly and others might get involved.

For example Cooper refused/declined to play for the international rules games because of how they are played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Cooper is playing a different role though, and is respected by a lot of players, probably too much in games, and therefore isn't targeted. He seeks to stay away from situations where as Connolly and others might get involved.

For example Cooper refused/declined to play for the international rules games because of how they are played.

But shouldnt Connolly stay out of those situations, i've seen matches especially in Munster Finals, some of the Cork v Kerry games where Gooch is targeted on a number of occasions and doesnt react.....well in a punch/dig way...so to speak.....

• Advertisement

But shouldnt Connolly stay out of those situations, i've seen matches especially in Munster Finals, some of the Cork v Kerry games where Gooch is targeted on a number of occasions and doesnt react.....

Well today - he didn't exactly go looking for trouble, he was taken out of the game by Mayo player, dragged to the ground and put in a headlock.

You'd swear that he went looking for the Mayo lad, dragged him to the ground, put him in the headlock and started to throw digs. I can guarantee you that had he not thrown a punch that the ref would have given the 2 of them yellows, so basically he would have gotten a yellow for nothing - and the reason is because that's what ref's do - instead of finding out they give 2 yellows and game plays on.

Now on the incident itself, why didn't the ref give Dublin a free in right in front of the goals for the off the ball dragged down, Or if he saw the "punch" why wasn't it a free out - It occurred before the foul in which he blew for happened.

he had no problem giving Mayo a free in, in the second half, when one of the Dublin players pulled pulled back Mayo full forward off the ball in front of the square, the ref noticed it and blew for a free in - easy tap over.

There is no consistency in the game at all.

and there was me thinking dragging/pulling a player to the ground was a black card as per the rules of the game.

You see it's not fairly black and white - if you saying it's a yellow and not a black?
    Like O'shea should have gotten a black in the first half.

If the black card rule was implemented correctly it would be !! Refereeing inconsistency is ruining the game, some give black cards for one offence some give yellow for the same offence .. I agree as per the rules of the game it should have been a black ! My point was really about Connolly having absolutely no defence for punching keegan and I didn't really articulate that correctly so my bad.

I also think the black card should definitely only be used if the foul is commited while in the scoring half !! Mdma black card was crazy harsh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Every man and his dog seems to think the first pen was a definite trip, but both times I've seen it it looked like Flynn had tripped himself up. Then they didn't show the close up on TSG tonight which seems suspicious.

Need to have another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Well today - he didn't exactly go looking for trouble, he was taken out of the game by Mayo player, dragged to the ground and put in a headlock.

You'd swear that he went looking for the Mayo lad, dragged him to the ground, put him in the headlock and started to throw digs. I can guarantee you that had he not thrown a punch that the ref would have given the 2 of them yellows, so basically he would have gotten a yellow for nothing - and the reason is because that's what ref's do - instead of finding out they give 2 yellows and game plays on.

Now on the incident itself, why didn't the ref give Dublin a free in right in front of the goals for the off the ball dragged down? It occurred before the other foul.

he had no problem giving Mayo a free in, in the second half, when one of the Dublin players pulled pulled back Mayo full forward, the ref noticed it and blew for a free in - easy tap over. There is no consistency in the game at all.

I agree with you that, he was'nt looking for trouble and was dragged down maliciously by Keegan, but on a number of times the red mist falls down on Connolly and he reacts.

How do you deal with this, does Jim Gavin have a word with him, his team mates pull him to one side, or does he need to wise up and act like the brilliant forward that he is??

You are right with the referring, there is no consistency in the game,I think its time to start bringing in video refereeing/moderating during the games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

What a finish to what was a poor enough game overall. So cynical and stop-start. There's way too much fouling in the game now.

I think it's very harsh to be saying the referee was terrible etc, the way it is now it's just an impossible game to referee. It's so hard to judge what is fair tackling when say 3 or 4 players have the guy on the ball surrounded. One minute the ref will give them the decision and punish the man in possession for over-carrying and then the next time when this exact situation arises the man on the ball gets the free for what looks an identical incident. It's way too much of a grey area, massive need to clear up what's legal and not legal in these situations.

Added to this, so many of the players now just seem to play with such a bad attitude that it makes it hard for the referee. When players are constantly roaring in each others faces and trying to provoke a reaction and then once there is one they go down like a sack of spuds feigning injury. Not to mention players surrounding the ref try to influence his decsion etc. The obvious contrasts on this front are rugby and soccer. In soccer everyone surrounds the ref and spends half the game trying to wind up the opposition and then hits the deck at the slightest sign of contact. It's so bad in that game that even when a player falls to the ground after being barely touched the pundits will critisice the aggressor saying "you can't raise your hands" or he was "looking for trouble doing that" etc instead of calling out the "injured" player for cheating. We don't want the GAA getting like that but right now it's way closer to that than rugby where everyone respects the referee and generally after a bit of a row everyone is just told to relax and get on with it. Players don't dive because they know it generally won't do any good. And it's a better game for it.

Refereeing is bad but it's an impossib;e job

Every man and his dog seems to think the first pen was a definite trip, but both times I've seen it it looked like Flynn had tripped himself up. Then they didn't show the close up on TSG tonight which seems suspicious.

Need to have another look.

Mayo didn't contest it though, which kinda means probably was a foul, however on the replays it was outside the box, but it appears it was a trip which of course it a black card, but of course that wasn't given.

I actually think Refs are afraid to give black cards early in matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Just seen the ROC incident, yellow IMO. Won't get banned and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Off topic but cooper has always been targeted and has always shown remarkable restraint in not reacting. It's about temperament. I remember a couple of games against Tyrone in particular during the 00s when he took fierce abuse.

Connolly is a bit of a hothead and opposition defenders know he is likely to do something stupid if you keep at him. Paul galvin was similar and received many red cards during his career for reacting to provocation. It's something that's in you and is very hard to change. Shame that Connolly will now probably miss the replay as he is a super player and it damages dublins chances considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

If that happens it will be one of the biggest jokes of all time. What is the point of the referee even being there or giving the card?

As far as I'm aware provocation is not in the rule book, and nor should it be used as an excuse.

Normally I'd agree but look back to the Donegal v Mayo game and Kevin Keane's red card. To be fair he was being provoked by Michael Murphy but needlessly reacted with a punch. His red card was subsequently rescinded so the GAA have left themselves open to this decision being overturned if consistency in decisions is shown. They got the Keane decision wrong and although two wrongs don't make a right they have set a precedent and backed themselves into a corner with their earlier decisions.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Off topic but cooper has always been targeted and has always shown remarkable restraint in not reacting. It's about temperament. I remember a couple of games against Tyrone in particular during the 00s when he took fierce abuse.

Connolly is a bit of a hothead and opposition defenders know he is likely to do something stupid if you keep at him. Paul galvin was similar and received many red cards during his career for reacting to provocation. It's something that's in you and is very hard to change. Shame that Connolly will now probably miss the replay as he is a super player and it damages dublins chances considerably.

One thing of note though, If Dublin had a choice, for him to miss the replay or for him to miss a potential final, they would probably choose the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A terrible game really, what I thought would show the best of football only brought out the worst in both sides. The referee got a lot wrong, a bad day overall but a totally thankless task trying to officiate that game what a mess so much cynical stuff and awful carry on , on and off the ball from both sides. In the end neither side can say they benefitted over the other as a result of poor decisions... Let's hope Saturday is a better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One thing of note though, If Dublin had a choice, for him to miss the replay or for him to miss a potential final, they would probably choose the replay.

They are'nt going to be giving kerry much to worry about with or without Connolly.

Neither are Mayo on that display

Normally I'd agree but look back to the Donegal v Mayo game and Kevin Keane's red card. To be fair he was being provoked by Michael Murphy but needlessly reacted with a punch. His red card was subsequently rescinded so the GAA have left themselves open to this decision being overturned if consistency in decisions is shown. They got the Keane decision wrong and although two wrongs don't make a right they have set a precedent and backed themselves into a corner with their earlier decisions.

Did the Gaa ever announce on what grounds they decided to downgrade kevin keanes red card to a yellow ?? Still don't know how he got away with that one . Connolly will be hoping for a similar outcome !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seen it live from the hill and TSG now, my verdict:

Dub penalty - definite trip, probably marginally outside. No pen.

Mayo pen - McMahon knees him, correct call.

MDMA - not a black card in a million years.

Bastick - looked like he fell into Moran, not a black card having watched again.

Connolly/Keegan - it seems harsh but rules are the rules, Diarmuids an idiot for throwing that fairy punch. He might well get away with it after Keane did.

McMahon probably could've got 2 reds, Cooper probably deserved red too.

COS deserved black.

AOS on Cluxton foul could've been black, definitely worse than McAuleys.

I looked away for a second and missed the ROC incident, drives me insane that they didn't analyse it properly. Sounds like Cillian is lucky.

That probably doesn't even cover half of it but from my viewing Joe got a lot if it wrong. In his defence the game was a mess.

From a Mayo viewpoint, I would agree with most of that.
    MDMA and Bastick were very very hard done by.
    Don't know how COS escaped though.
    Shocking decisions.

AOS tackle wasn't a black,, he had both hands over Cluxton but SC was cute and made sure AOS's left hand was trapped and proceeded to "get fouled" imo. A clumsy tackle by a big lad on a smaller guy.
    Not a million miles off what happened when McMahon came in over AOS in the box, he had his left hand over AOS's shoulder and put him off balance slightly. No peno myself but could have been given.

CO'C and Cluxton('s little kick out at AOS) could have seen red, by the letter of the law they should but I would have classed both as being unlucky. It was unfortunate re the stitches but if there wasn't blood drawn then it would have stay in the shadows with all the other off the ball stuff.

Thought Coopers probably looked a lot worse than it was. A little bit of intent there I'm sure, but he was up in the air and it certainly wasn't premeditated... more of a split second reaction, a poor and sore one at that.

Keegan is too fine of a footballer to be stooping to that level but Connolly had to go.

McMahon shouldn't play for a good few months.

Some really naive defending by ye left some fans thinking they were hard done by. Ye weren't imo, just really poor tackling including a stupid lunge by McMahon for the peno.

Bambi wrote: »
    They are'nt going to be giving kerry much to worry about with or without Connolly.

How many times have Kerry beaten Dublin in the last 4 years?

How many times have Kerry beaten Dublin in the last 4 years?

Irrelevant. Dublin are not showing the form they did in recent years and Kerry are a better team than the last time they met. They'd set up to torment cluxton on the short kickouts forcing him long and the current Kerry midfield would clean dublins all day long. Kerry also now arguably have better forwards than Dublin and better options off the bench.

Not saying it would be a foregone conclusion btw, just that I'd give Kerry every chance and that dublins victories in 2011 and 2013 would mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

On today's 70 mins no, but
    a, the replay will bring on the winner a lot
    b, Kerry aren't exactly invincible. The way the final bears out may have very little semblance to the way today's game panned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Go back a little over 12 months and Kerry were rebuilding and weren't supposed to be challenging for a few years.

The previous game means sfa at this time of the year.

Irrelevant. Dublin are not showing the form they did in recent years and Kerry are a better team than the last time they met. They'd set up to torment cluxton on the short kickouts forcing him long and the current Kerry midfield would clean dublins all day long. Kerry also now arguably have better forwards than Dublin and better options off the bench.

Not saying it would be a foregone conclusion btw, just that I'd give Kerry every chance and that dublins victories in 2011 and 2013 would mean nothing.

You think it's irrelevant that Kerry have bottled it everytime they have played Dublin in the last 4 years? fairly sure that even in the league when Dublin put out weaker teams they have beaten Kerry.

You say Dublin aren't showing the form - they have had 1 bad game this season - against an even worse Mayo, neither team will be as bad next day - and if football is played and not the off the ball stuff then you will see 2 great teams.

What form do Kerry have - they have played no one of any significance, and gave how many goal chances to Tyrone?

You think it's irrelevant that Kerry have bottled it everytime they have played Dublin in the last 4 years? fairly sure that even in the league when Dublin put out weaker teams they have beaten Kerry.

You say Dublin aren't showing the form - they have had 1 bad game this season - against an even worse Mayo, neither team will be as bad next day - and if football is played and not the off the ball stuff then you will see 2 great teams.

What form do Kerry have - they have played no one of any significance, and gave how many goal chances to Tyrone?

Cluxton, brogan, Flynn, Connolly and McCauley are all out of form by their high standards and were the stars in 2013. Dublin are not the force they were then IMO. I may well be proved wrong of course.

What form do Kerry have? Eh, Sam maguire is in Kerry last time I checked and they are in another final. It's not surprising they were lethargic against Tyrone with 15 men behind the ball and rain pi**ing down on top of them. Kerry bottled nothing in 2013 btw, they were beaten by a better team but that day is totally irrelevant now as things have moved on. 2011 is so long ago that it isn't worth mentioning and neither is the league.

Cluxton, brogan, Flynn, Connolly and McCauley are all out of form by their high standards and were the stars in 2013. Dublin are not the force they were then IMO. I may well be proved wrong of course.

What form do Kerry have? Eh, Sam maguire is in Kerry last time I checked and they are in another final. It's not surprising they were lethargic against Tyrone with 15 men behind the ball and rain pi**ing down on top of them. Kerry bottled nothing in 2013 btw, they were beaten by a better team but that day is totally irrelevant now as things have moved on. 2011 is so long ago that it isn't worth mentioning and neither is the league.

Who have Kerry played and beaten this year that you would consider potential all Ireland contenders??

The answer is no-one, but yet you claim they have form :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who have Kerry played and beaten this year that you would consider potential all Ireland contenders??

No point arguing over it and we are dragging the thread ot. You are correct Kerry haven't beaten a genuine contender but I feel they'd have a good chance in a final against Dublin should that transpire.

Best of luck next wknd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Only Mayo have beaten a potential All-Ireland contender in the championship this year, and even then that doesn't make them automatically better than Kerry or Dublin.

You can only beat who's in front of you, and Kerry have done that this year, although they're lucky they didn't face Dublin or Mayo on the way to the final.

I think Kerry will beat either team who wins next weekend, as Fitzmaurice is a superior manager imo and can set his team up to beat anyone on any given day. That's not to say they don't have a fantastic team with probably the best set of forwards in the country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Disgraceful how Dublin haven't won an All-Ireland since 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

okay so mayo played poorish today against a top two team and still got the draw second dub goal was a bit lucky the way it squirted out but unbelievable finish by mcmenamen (spelling) hope connelly gets cleared cos don't think it was much to get sent off for, not sure wat to make of next saturday but i have to say after 2013 and 2006 (missed today) love goin out with the dubs after a match win lose or draw even with my jersey on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

As a neutral I'd question both penalties.

First one outside the box and an accidental foot trip so yellow at most for dangerous or reckless play.

Second one, yes philly stupidly put the knees in but if you look at it, you can see Boyle knew he had no chance and took a massive dive. He was just lucky that philly threw the knees in and made it look legit.

I know you might disagree but just look where boyles legs are when the contact is made. Already thrown up in the air.

Just glad we got a draw because the loser today would of had so many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    As a neutral I'd question both penalties.

First one outside the box and an accidental foot trip so yellow at most for dangerous or reckless play.

Second one, yes philly stupidly put the knees in but if you look at it, you can see Boyle knew he had no chance and took a massive dive. He was just lucky that philly threw the knees in and made it look legit.

I know you might disagree but just look where boyles legs are when the contact is made. Already thrown up in the air.

Just glad we got a draw because the loser today would of had so many complaints.

I agree but Boyles intentions were made academic by what McMahon did. He cut across him and fouled him.

There was no way he was getting a shot away either which makes McMahons actions all the more ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

corny wrote: »
    I agree but Boyles intentions were made academic by what McMahon did. He cut across him and fouled him.

There was no way he was getting a shot away either which makes McMahons actions all the more ridiculous.

I said over in the rational bastion that is the Dublin thread that I don't think it was a penalty. On looking closer again Philly was all over him. Boyle went for it and made the most of it but he was fouled. Defo penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

No point arguing over it and we are dragging the thread ot. You are correct Kerry haven't beaten a genuine contender but I feel they'd have a good chance in a final against Dublin should that transpire.

Best of luck next wknd

Of course Kerry have a good chance, possibly even more than a 'good' chance.
    Don't think many are disputing that, more the point a few have made using yesterday's game as a definitive barometer for the final.

Neither semi final will follow an identical path to whatever will transpire in the final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Because refs can get it wrong, the fact that he awarded a red and a yellow was ridiculous enough for a case to be made.

It was a lot more than provocation. He was dragged to the ground and was held in a head lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Now on the incident itself, why didn't the ref give Dublin a free in right in front of the goals for the off the ball dragged down, Or if he saw the "punch" why wasn't it a free out - It occurred before the foul in which he blew for happened.

he had no problem giving Mayo a free in, in the second half, when one of the Dublin players pulled pulled back Mayo full forward off the ball in front of the square, the ref noticed it and blew for a free in - easy tap over.

There is no consistency in the game at all.

How can you possibly argue that?? An incident which leads to a red card being given to a Dublin player and you think they're entitled to having the free brought in? Madness. Most people are making the exact opposite. The fact is as the referee had already blown his whistle, the ball was dead when the Connolly incident happened. If he had thrown a punch just before Cluxton took a kick out, dyou think it would be a free to Mayo from where the incident happened?

The other situation you referred to was giving the attacking team the advantage, no foul had been awarded when he play for the pulling off the ball. You might remember a certain incident against Kildare a few years ago for your reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement