Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How can you possibly argue that?? An incident which leads to a red card being given to a Dublin player and you think they're entitled to having the free brought in? Madness. Most people are making the exact opposite. The fact is as the referee had already blown his whistle, the ball was dead when the Connolly incident happened. If he had thrown a punch just before Cluxton took a kick out, dyou think it would be a free to Mayo from where the incident happened?

The other situation you referred to was giving the attacking team the advantage, no foul had been awarded when he play for the pulling off the ball. You might remember a certain incident against Kildare a few years ago for your reference.

Are you sure?i thought ball was in play when he is dragged to the ground.

Good point bringing up Kildare, it isn't given often enough, I would love to see more players punished fir off the ball holding. Umpires could help alot with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Something I haven't seen mentioned here but I'm sure it has been over the course of the thousands of posts there has been on the match.wuth about 20 minutes to go diarmuid Connolly kicked over a peach of a free from the right side with his right foot. Was just inside the 45 but he easily had the distance.

So why then did Dublin keep bringing that eejit up from the goals to keep kicking the ball wide from out on that right hand side in the last few minutes? I know Connolly was sent off before the last free but it seemed like cluxton was up to kick it even before the red card was given? Though I could be wrong on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Something I haven't seen mentioned here but I'm sure it has been over the course of the thousands of posts there has been on the match.wuth about 20 minutes to go diarmuid Connolly kicked over a peach of a free from the right side with his right foot. Was just inside the 45 but he easily had the distance.

So why then did Dublin keep bringing that eejit up from the goals to keep kicking the ball wide from out on that right hand side in the last few minutes? I know Connolly was sent off before the last free but it seemed like cluxton was up to kick it even before the red card was given? Though I could be wrong on that

Connolly was on form from the spot alright, that being said, he was one of the team that waved cluxton up, so I guess we wasn't fully confident on some of the spot kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Connolly called Cluxton up because the free was further out and it looked like he didn't feel like he had the distance. It was a free out near the sideline suited for a left footed kicker. Connolly has a good left foot but not from that distance. It would've been some kick for a right footer and when you have a natural left footer like Cluxton who has kicked these in the past, then I think it makes sense to utilise him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

I only got to rewatch a few of the incidents on TSG last night. Tbh both sides could do with a week of introspection for their behaviour at times though the pundits on rte weren't exactly balanced.....

On the red card, a fair call by the letter of the law but Lee Keegan should take a long hard look at himself. Amazing that if a player feigns injury they'll be excoriated up and down the country, but commit a sneaky assault that would land you in jail in the real world and you'll likely get a pat on the back from management and no real sanction Keegan's a better player than that sh1te and frankly I lost a lot of respect for him yesterday.

For the 10 stitches incident I think there should be a retrospective ban in the offing but I doubt there will be, too high profile to do that to one of the star players.

Philly should get a ban too for his antics but I'm not sure the GAA know how to deal with the can if worms that would open. AOS wasn't exactly an angel for that game and is another player who you'd have hoped was better than that. He can't even claim provocation since he was at it from the off.....

One of the most frustrating things for me was the use of the black card yesterday. There were a couple given out that were harsh at best and a few held back that would have been more deserved. Sad too to see players agitating a ref to show the black card. If anything it sometimes feels like the addition of the black card has increased rather than decreased cynicism in the game. Is a cynical drag down really any worse than a cynical dive or hassling the ref to get someone carded?

Whelan on TSG made the point that both sides had players targeted and he's right. Sad, but nothing new in the game and referees seem incapable of addressing it.

As for the ref, a poor game but to be fair that one was impossible to referee. Maybe could have sent out a message early that he wouldnt take any nonsense.

On who will win the replay, I guess it depends -are Dublin past their best or were they just undercooked? Have mayo a few more gears than we saw yesterday? Sadly it may be the disciplinary fallout from yesterday that has greater impact than either question. Hopefully it will be. a better spectacle than yesterday given the quality both teams possess. Kerry won't be terrified by what they saw but they'll know well enough that an extra game will benefit either of these teams.

• Advertisement

tritium wrote: »
    I only got to rewatch a few of the incidents on TSG last night. Tbh both sides could do with a week of introspection for their behaviour at times though the pundits on rte weren't exactly balanced.....

On the red card, a fair call by the letter of the law but Lee Keegan should take a long hard look at himself. Amazing that if a player feigns injury they'll be excoriated up and down the country, but commit a sneaky assault that would land you in jail in the real world and you'll likely get a pat on the back from management and no real sanction Keegan's a better player than that sh1te and frankly I lost a lot of respect for him yesterday.

For the 10 stitches incident I think there should be a retrospective ban in the offing but I doubt there will be, too high profile to do that to one of the star players.

Philly should get a ban too for his antics but I'm not sure the GAA know how to deal with the can if worms that would open. AOS wasn't exactly an angel for that game and is another player who you'd have hoped was better than that. He can't even claim provocation since he was at it from the off.....

One of the most frustrating things for me was the use of the black card yesterday. There were a couple given out that were harsh at best and a few held back that would have been more deserved. Sad too to see players agitating a ref to show the black card. If anything it sometimes feels like the addition of the black card has increased rather than decreased cynicism in the game. Is a cynical drag down really any worse than a cynical dive or hassling the ref to get someone carded?

Whelan on TSG made the point that both sides had players targeted and he's right. Sad, but nothing new in the game and referees seem incapable of addressing it.

As for the ref, a poor game but to be fair that one was impossible to referee. Maybe could have sent out a message early that he wouldnt take any nonsense.

On who will win the replay, I guess it depends -are Dublin past their best or were they just undercooked? Have mayo a few more gears than we saw yesterday? Sadly it may be the disciplinary fallout from yesterday that has greater impact than either question. Hopefully it will be. a better spectacle than yesterday given the quality both teams possess. Kerry won't be terrified by what they saw but they'll know well enough that an extra game will benefit either of these teams.

Cillian O'Connor was particularly bad for this yesterday. Every time, the ref blew, he seemed to be mouthing at him asking the ref to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wexsean

I was at the game yesterday. I support the Dubs. Discipline is huge issue right through the GAA from kids onwards . Neither team can be proud yesterday. The culture has to change and that wont happen easily. If you want a template you need look no further than Rugby.

What drives me mad is the constant off the ball incidents - they are not part of the game and should always be a yellow minimum if not black in that they are usually cynical.
    A zero policy of no tolerance should be applied to the off the ball stuff as it has a huge effect on how players react with more often than not the offended player being sent off for retaliation.

If the lines men and umpires had intervened early yesterday and the ref put down his mark in yesterdays game then the players would respond.

What really worries me is that the young kids see the cynical elements as part and parcel of the game. Its not in the training manual but it is the elephant in the room. As an exampe see what happened at the end of the minro game. it was off the ball and after the match how will that be treated by the gaa. An incident in front of a full house.

Discipline has to be the main objective for the GAA in the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

How can you possibly argue that?? An incident which leads to a red card being given to a Dublin player and you think they're entitled to having the free brought in? Madness. Most people are making the exact opposite. The fact is as the referee had already blown his whistle, the ball was dead when the Connolly incident happened. If he had thrown a punch just before Cluxton took a kick out, dyou think it would be a free to Mayo from where the incident happened?

The other situation you referred to was giving the attacking team the advantage, no foul had been awarded when he play for the pulling off the ball. You might remember a certain incident against Kildare a few years ago for your reference.

Connolly laid the ball off ran forward and was taken out of the game long before the ref called for a free - which linesman "clearly" saw, otherwise mayo man wouldn't have been booked.

The ball is dead at the kickout so no it wouldn't be a free, but when the ball is in play which it was when the incident happen then yes. But like I said before posters on here only take the anti Dublin view.

It seems perfectly reasonable to drag another player to the ground, to put him in a headlock and have little or no consequence. That has no place in any game and he too should have seen red, dragging a player down is a foul, why put him in a head lock?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

wexsean wrote: »
    I was at the game yesterday. I support the Dubs. Discipline is huge issue right through the GAA from kids onwards . Neither team can be proud yesterday. The culture has to change and that wont happen easily. If you want a template you need look no further than Rugby.

What drives me mad is the constant off the ball incidents - they are not part of the game and should always be a yellow minimum if not black in that they are usually cynical.
    A zero policy of no tolerance should be applied to the off the ball stuff as it has a huge effect on how players react with more often than not the offended player being sent off for retaliation.

If the lines men and umpires had intervened early yesterday and the ref put down his mark in yesterdays game then the players would respond.

What really worries me is that the young kids see the cynical elements as part and parcel of the game. Its not in the training manual but it is the elephant in the room. As an exampe see what happened at the end of the minro game. it was off the ball and after the match how will that be treated by the gaa. An incident in front of a full house.

Discipline has to be the main objective for the GAA in the next few years

I think your right, other threads have dicussed this i think, but there needs to be a sea change in both rules and enforcment.
    And whatever about club / league games etc it needs to to come from the top and filter down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Connolly's red card was definitely a red, he punched a guy on the ground and deserves a ban.

However, the GAA letting off Keane from Mayo for something similar makes it interesting - there's nothing that the GAA cannot overturn on appeal so it's possible Connolly will be let off (in the interests of fairness - not in the interests of football)

There is video evidence to ban Philly McMahon and possibly Cillian O'Connor too, however can't see the GAA having the appetite to act on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In reference to why Dublin called Cluxton up to kick the frees when Connolly had his eye in, it was simply down to the same reason they started doing it. To whittle down the time knowing full well that the referee won't add any extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Exciting finish, seemed like a dirty game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just seen the ROC incident, yellow IMO. Won't get banned and rightly so.

From the GAA rulebook:
    Category III Infractions
    To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with arm, elbow, hand or knee.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
    (i)Order offender off.

(ii) Free kick from where foul occurred, except as provided under Exceptions of Rule 2.2.

He clearly struck O'Carroll as shown on tv. Never a yellow card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

There is only one man who can sort this mess out next Saturday

Step forward Marty Duffy............................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Had a chance to see most of the incidents now, Mayo were bad but on the whole we were far worse. Philly and Cooper were lucky to be on the pitch, and as soft as it may seem Connolly threw a punch and that's a red. In terms of instigating both teams were as bad as each other but Dublin reacted badly and lost the cool in many situations. They need to learn to not cross that border between winding up and red card territory (e.g. grabbing a guy vs throwing a punch - Connolly/Keegan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Had a chance to see most of the incidents now, Mayo were bad but on the whole we were far worse. Philly and Cooper were lucky to be on the pitch, and as soft as it may seem Connolly threw a punch and that's a red. In terms of instigating both teams were as bad as each other but Dublin reacted badly and lost the cool in many situations. They need to learn to not cross that border between winding up and red card territory (e.g. grabbing a guy vs throwing a punch - Connolly/Keegan).

How can you say Connolly deserved a red for striking (which I agree with) and in another post say COC deserved a yellow for striking? Are there different degrees of striking in the rulebook somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Zzippy wrote: »
    From the GAA rulebook:

He clearly struck O'Carroll as shown on tv. Never a yellow card.

Going by that dublin could lose cluxton for kicking out at o shea and mc mahon for the attempted headbutt. If the committee follow it all to the law, then at least we'll see who has the best panel cos both teams will be missing their best players

Just to add about the headlock Tatic - it seems to be something that the Mayo lads like to do - there was an incident about the 30 minute mark between o'sullivan and o'connor, o'sullivan pulled o'connor back (probably s black) and inexplicable o'Connor puts his arm around o'sullivans neck and drags him to the ground- yet no comment made about it.

On the o'carroll incident if you listen to the commentary live, the commentators laugh off the incident saying the two lads are just getting to know each other - it's a complete joke that a guy needing 10/12 stiches for an elbow can just be laughed off.

Hopefully the next day football is played and both teams leave this crap behind them

Zzippy wrote: »
    How can you say Connolly deserved a red for striking (which I agree with) and in another post say COC deserved a yellow for striking? Are there different degrees of striking in the rulebook somewhere?

Punching a guy on the ground vs throwing an arm back without looking. 'Striking' might sound black and white but it generally isn't interpreted as such, what might get Cillian off the hook is that he wasn't looking so he'll argue it was unintentional. Tbf the COC footage was poor and from far away, but from what I saw it didn't look that bad even though it resulted in a lot of blood.

Honestly I take back saying yellow, if the ref sees it in real time its probably a red - but the reason its not as clear is that it was 'unintentional' and he wasn't looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Punching a guy on the ground vs throwing an arm back without looking. 'Striking' might sound black and white but it generally isn't interpreted as such, what might get Cillian off the hook is that he wasn't looking so he'll argue it was unintentional. Tbf the COC footage was poor and from far away, but from what I saw it didn't look that bad even though it resulted in a lot of blood.

Honestly I take back saying yellow, if the ref sees it in real time its probably a red - but the reason its not as clear is that it was 'unintentional' and he wasn't looking.

O'Connor is always at it , needs a long ban to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if you throw a dig while you're not looking it's not intentional?

How about if you close your eyes while throwing a dig, is that alright too? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It seems from reading this thread and the game i saw yesterday that the GAA have lost control of the game. If the adherence of rules was the same as other sports there would not have been any players left on the field!

...Ah i know he pulled him down, but he's in front of the goal" " ah he stuck him alright, but he's on a yellow so it would be harsh to send him off for that" "ah look, sure he pulled out of his neck but they're 7 points down, sure it would be cruel to award a free against him"

Bambi wrote: »
    if you throw a dig while you're not looking it's not intentional?

How about if you close your eyes while throwing a dig, is that alright too? :confused:

Notice I put "unintentional" in inverted commas.

Let's not pretend the striking rule is black and white - if it was Keegan's red last year would've stood and Cluxton would've seen red yesterday from what I've heard. Connollys was a punch thrown on the ground, Cillians was a flung arm thrown back and it didn't look that bad from my view although the footage was crap, I'd like to see an angle from the side. Diarmos was clear Cillians wasnt IMO.

Let's not pretend the striking rule is black and white - if it was Keegan's red last year would've stood and Cluxton would've seen red yesterday from what I've heard. Connollys was a punch thrown on the ground, Cillians was a flung arm thrown back and it didn't look that bad from my view although the footage was crap, I'd like to see an angle from the side. Diarmos was clear Cillians wasnt IMO.

O'Connor swung his arm back dangerously. Did he mean to hit him in the eye? Maybe not, but it was still an intentional swing of his arm towards O'Carroll. To me, it looked like a clear red from the replay.

And yet only one player had blood pouring from his face and needed 10/12 stitches. The ball wasn't between them therefore what is cillians elbow was doing up at that angle!

Is it trying to break lose from o'carroll and just throwing the arm back blindly??

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

60 minutes of mediocre football and nastiness followed by 10 minutes of craziness.
    Are Dublin suffering from PTSD after Donegal last year? Thought they lost the collective head yesterday, they could have had 4 sent off and had no complaints. They played about 10 minutes of decent football in the second half, then collapsed entirely. Really disappointing stuff from them both from a discipline and footballing standpoint.
    Mayo were overly defensive and very cynical, loads of blocking guys off the ball and a weird fondness for putting guys in headlocks, happened on several occasions. As usual, their forwards were ineffective from open play.

For the replay, I would think if Dublin concentrated on actually playing football and not trying to nobble the opposition they should win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ace2007 wrote: »

It seems perfectly reasonable to drag another player to the ground, to put him in a headlock and have little or no consequence. That has no place in any game and he too should have seen red, dragging a player down is a foul, why put him in a head lock?????

Keegan got booked for what happened and rightly so. A clear case of obstruction. Connolly then committed a red card offence. I see a few pages back you seem to want teams to be more honest and make allowances for Connolly's complete hotheaded stupidity. As someone who has played football for the past 26 years, that goes against everything i have seen in football. Not a new phenomenon, if a player on the other team is an idiot that is his issue and no one else's.

And yet only one player had blood pouring from his face and needed 10/12 stitches. The ball wasn't between them therefore what is cillians elbow was doing up at that angle!

Is it trying to break lose from o'carroll and just throwing the arm back blindly??

I have no sympathy for O'Carroll, that kind of off the ball jersey pulling drives me mad. That being said, O'Connor belted him, and should have been sent off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Looked like a flailing arm to me. Those can cause damage. I found defenders were less prone to pulling and dragging me when they knew there was a high possibility of getting one of those. Led to a much cleaner encounter over the remainder of a game.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Keegan got booked for what happened and rightly so. A clear case of obstruction. Connolly then committed a red card offence. I see a few pages back you seem to want teams to be more honest and make allowances for Connolly's complete hotheaded stupidity. As someone who has played football for the past 26 years, that goes against everything i have seen in football. Not a new phenomenon, if a player on the other team is an idiot that is his issue and no one else's.

What was the booking for? The drag down off th ball while in play - hence free in front of goal?

Was it for having Connolly in a headlock?

Or did the ref actually have NO clue what happened but thought that Connolly didn't end up on the ground by himself and just give mayo lad a yellow?

I pointed out that it wasn't the first time a mayo man put his arm around a Dublin mans neck and drag him to the ground - o'Connor did it to o'sullivan in the 30th minute of the game - but because o'sullivan didn't react nothing it said about it.

Maybe we were brought up different but if someone has more skill than you or is getting pass you, you don't take them out of it and try to get them sent off

Where is the - Give Respect, Get Respect type of attitude? I know he's better than me but Fck it I'll take him out of it and you seem to think that's ok because it happens for last 26 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I hear O'Connor kicked a baby after the game and is also responsible for the European Migrant crisis.... he's also holding back the cure for cancer.

It was a red card if seen.
    He knew what he was doing, but on the scale of blows being dealt, it is nowhere near a guy punching someone whilst grappling on the ground.
    Also, one player holding back and another "fighting" to escape is something that has been around for donkeys, it's not right but I'm sure there was countless other instances that aren't being talked about... but unluckily for O'Carroll, he got caught in a soft spot and it could potentially turn out to be unlucky for O'Connor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TBH, I think the provocation on Connolly was very mild looking at this angle:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-clearest-angle-of-the-connolly-red-card-incident-yet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What was the booking for? The drag down off th ball while in play - hence free in front of goal?

Or did the ref actually have NO clue what happened but thought that Connolly didn't end up on the ground by himself and just give mayo lad a yellow?

I pointed out that it wasn't the first time a mayo man put his arm around a Dublin mans neck and drag him to the ground - o'Connor did it to o'sullivan in the 30th minute of the game - but because o'sullivan didn't react nothing it said about it.

Maybe we were brought up different but if someone has more skill than you or is getting pass you, you don't take them out of it and try to get them sent off

Where is the - Give Respect, Get Respect type of attitude? I know he's better than me but Fck it I'll take him out of it and you seem to think that's ok because it happens for last 26 years.

You must have been brought up different than Philly Mc and Johnny Cooper as well - give respect, get a headbutt/kick in the thigh/test the stretchiness of your jersey etc. One thing about Philly, he seems like a very good conversationalist. Whilst others were trying to play ball, Philly was asking Aidan about the weather, how's the hay going etc. etc. Was mad for chat. Nice guy, is our Philly.

The linesman drew his attention to the incident, came onto the field of play and told the ref what happened. By the letter of the law, both decisions were correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I recall the story a 16 year old lad who had just broken onto his clubs senior team as a corner forward and was getting pulled and dragged by the corner back.

At half time, his father came down from the stand and said to his son something along the lines of "God didn't give you elbows to pick your nose"

elguapo wrote: »
    The linesman drew his attention to the incident, came onto the field of play and told the ref what happened. By the letter of the law, both decisions were correct.

Strange that it took the linemans to the 70th minute of the game to spot an off the ball runner being taken out of it, isn't it?

Perhaps the linesman told the ref two lads where on the ground fighting and Connolly threw a dig and ref said fine one yellow and one red.

Given that the replay is on Saturdays more than likely nothing is going to happen with these incidents. Connolly will appeal and given previous incident will get off and we will have a rince and repeat next Saturday -

All we need is the ref to hand out a black card for the first dragged down off the ball in the first minute to cut all the crap out and clean up the game.

First point of the game it can be seen there are two lads tussling on the ground. But no one cares, how or why they ended up on the ground.

Whatever you want to call it, Keegan 100% didn't take Connolly's run out. If anything Keegan's yellow card was harsh.

BPKS wrote: »
    I recall the story a 16 year old lad who had just broken onto his clubs senior team as a corner forward and was getting pulled and dragged by the corner back.

At half time, his father came down from the stand and said to his son something along the lines of "God didn't give you elbows to pick your nose"

And people wonder why the game is turning into a hard hits and off the ball battles? Sound father giving that advice - son will go far if he takes that attitude into everyday life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

keane2097 wrote: »

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-clearest-angle-of-the-connolly-red-card-incident-yet/

very hard to see the start of it but it looks like either connolly threw a slap at keegan or keegan threw his elbow back at connolly

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder how hard Connolly actually hit Keegan. I know it doesn't really make any difference, but Keegan stands up and it doesn't look like anything has been taken out of him. Pretty sure I wouldn't be standing up so easily if Connolly gave me a proper thump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Basically the only incident that was really highlight was coppers' which the ref gave a yellow for - can that be revised?

Connolly's incident - doesn't actually show him making contact with the mayo man - just show's a punch being thrown. - he was clearly targeted off the ball when he layed the ball off.

Elbow on O'Carroll went unpunished.

So basically from looking at the highlights, guy who elbow o'carroll should have been red, cooper should have seen red, Mahon possible red (headbutt made no contact, but per the rules) and Connolly i think just a yellow, and o'shea should have had a black for the pull down on cluxton.

connolly just a yellow and O'Connor a red. :rolleyes:
    Are we handing out cards based on amount of blood damage ?
    but others have gotten off in the pass for throwing punches - so is it a different rule for a Dublin man?

Ahh FFS, did you ever watch ciaran whelan play for Dublin?
    In one case he shouldn't even have been allowed start the match never mind finish it.
    So please less of the shyt* that Dublin are unfairly treated over the years.

Connolly will probably get off because Keane got off.
    Either case you throw a punch, especially a deliberate aimed one, should be red and match ban.

I am not allowed discuss …

Its looks like connolly threw another punch before they even went to ground were he punched keegan again. I'd say if the CCC have this clip his red will definitely stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Peist2007 wrote: »

A headlock is a bit more than just obstruction.

Anywhere other than the parallel universe of the GAA rules that sort of stuff tends to get you into a lot of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Since when did Dublin become the "new Tyrone" ??

Its looks like connolly threw another punch before they even went to ground were he punched keegan again. I'd say if the CCC have this clip his red will definitely stand.

To my eyes, Keegan puts his arm across when Connolly comes up on him first. We will have rules lawyering here but that's very standard between players who are marking one another and I wouldn't accept it as provocation in the least.

After that Connolly charges at Keegan, looks a bit like he throws a punch with his right. Keegan then slows down and Connolly swings his left arm around, at best looking to grab the back of Keegan's head at the same time Keegan grabs Connolly. Both wrestle to ground then.

There certainly isn't provocation to justify Connolly there, like you could argue there was when he got sent off in the SF in 2011. This one is his own fault.

I don't see that punch at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

After all the talk that Keegan was the one that was the instigator with his head lock to the ground on Connelly.....
    And this video pops up showing clearly Connelly was the instigator.
    I was fifty fifty with this decision but now it looks like Connelly got what he deserved.
    It's going to be cleared anyway. So he'll be playing next week.
    Makes it even sweeter for the battle next week

To my eyes, Keegan puts his arm across when Connolly comes up on him first. We will have rules lawyering here but that's very standard between players who are marking one another and I wouldn't accept it as provocation in the least.

After that Connolly charges at Keegan, looks a bit like he throws a punch with his right. Keegan then slows down and Connolly swings his left arm around, at best looking to grab the back of Keegan's head at the same time Keegan grabs Connolly. Both wrestle to ground then.

There certainly isn't provocation to justify Connolly there, like you could argue there was when he got sent off in the SF in 2011. This one is his own fault.

There is never justification to strike somebody on a football pitch. Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You'd have to wonder how hard Connolly actually hit Keegan. I know it doesn't really make any difference, but Keegan stands up and it doesn't look like anything has been taken out of him. Pretty sure I wouldn't be standing up so easily if Connolly gave me a proper thump!

From recollection connolly usually needs to land a few punches on the downed guy to do the damage. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement