Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Did anyone ask what the hell ROC was doing pulling and dragging at COC while the ball was at the other end of the field?
    Forward has to retaliate in those cases or else he might as well just ask to be subbed.
    You have to hit back hard and early, that is what I drum into all forwards I coach!

Also can't see any real malice or intent to hurt in McMahon's head movement which never looked like connecting anyway, bit of common sense needed there too.

Don't understand the venom directed at Connolly either, softest little rabbit punch you ever saw, no intent to hurt , I suppose the letter of the law etc. linesman tells ref he threw a punch, ref has to show red card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Point out where the black card offence was? Was he deliberately foot tripped? Hand tripped? Dragged to the ground? No to all three so it wasn't a black card.

I don't understand the mass confusion over the black card. A run of the mill foul, like the one on Paul Flynn, is not a black card. Same with people screaming for Cian O'Sullivan to receive a black card in the first half. Pulling a player's jersey to stop him getting forward, while cynical, is not a black card offence.

I dont get it either. It seems to be the case that now every time a player is fouled, that if he falls down, there are screams for a black card. If that was the case, then James McCarthy would be getting one for his foul on Lee Keegan in the first half, amongst many others, when they clearly are not black card offences.

A factor that drives this though is the complete non understanding of the rule by media analysts, and they keep saying how everyone is confused. They arent, they are being made confused by analysts who dont even know basic rules. Dessie Dolan was awful on Sunday, and he was at this craic of the black card doesnt work because we are all confused. Shane Curran a few weeks ago too, highlighting 3 correctly called black card incidents, and he said all three were called wrong. Ciaran Whelan too on the SG later on was the same.

It doesnt help when the refs call them wrong too. MDMA's black card was wrong. I can see on first glance why McQuillan called it, MDMA lost the ball, and lunged at the Mayo player and pulled him down. But the replays clearly showed he lunged and was fighting for the ball. It was no way an intentional drag down of the player. Basticks was the right call, he clearly threw his foot and caught the Mayo player. Cian O Sullivan got a yellow card for a block off the ball that should have been black. As pointed out, his first incident of pulling the jersey was never a black card, no matter how cynical it may have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Godge wrote: »
    So he wasn't headbutted, he gestured at the linesman and he answered in the affirmative after the game that he was headbutted and you have no problem with that. Makes Tiernan McCann look like he was chopped in two.

This thread has it all, people being beheaded and now chopped in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If this thread has thought me anything, it's that two people can use the very same piece of evidence to "prove" two contrasting views.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

bruschi wrote: »
    I dont get it either. It seems to be the case that now every time a player is fouled, that if he falls down, there are screams for a black card. If that was the case, then James McCarthy would be getting one for his foul on Lee Keegan in the first half, amongst many others, when they clearly are not black card offences.

A factor that drives this though is the complete non understanding of the rule by media analysts, and they keep saying how everyone is confused. They arent, they are being made confused by analysts who dont even know basic rules. Dessie Dolan was awful on Sunday, and he was at this craic of the black card doesnt work because we are all confused. Shane Curran a few weeks ago too, highlighting 3 correctly called black card incidents, and he said all three were called wrong. Ciaran Whelan too on the SG later on was the same.

It doesnt help when the refs call them wrong too. MDMA's black card was wrong. I can see on first glance why McQuillan called it, MDMA lost the ball, and lunged at the Mayo player and pulled him down. But the replays clearly showed he lunged and was fighting for the ball. It was no way an intentional drag down of the player. Basticks was the right call, he clearly threw his foot and caught the Mayo player. Cian O Sullivan got a yellow card for a block off the ball that should have been black. As pointed out, his first incident of pulling the jersey was never a black card, no matter how cynical it may have been.

The ignorance surrounding the black card is very frustrating. It's not a perfect rule (I think cycnical pull-backs like O'Sullivan's should be a black card offence, for example), but there are clear explanations of when it should be enforced. This is not confusing.

I wish The Sunday Game would do a segment explaining to everyone what is/isn't a black card offence. It would educate everyone, including their 'experts'.

I do think Bastick was maybe unlucky though. I thought it might have been an accidental tangle when he fell, rather than an intentional trip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

elefant wrote: »

I do think Bastick was maybe unlucky though. I thought it might have been an accidental tangle when he fell, rather than an intentional trip.

Yeah it could have gone either way I suppose. I think what did him was that the Mayo player had a clear run in front of him. Bastick did flick out a leg tho, whether he meant to clip him or not only he knows, but I'd have no issues with the black card there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I think of all the calls given Basticks was the biggest game changer - it left us with no midfield and we collapsed straight after. It looked harsh but only Bastick knows really as they only had one angle on the 'trip' where it did look a bit harsh. There were so many calls not given that also could've completely changed the game though so saying 'what if' is a bit pointless. Only fair that the game goes to a replay as it was a complete mess and a different ref could've resulted in a completely different outcome in either sides favour. Let's hope we they go out to play ball on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

destroyer wrote: »
    Did anyone ask what the hell ROC was doing pulling and dragging at COC while the ball was at the other end of the field?
    Forward has to retaliate in those cases or else he might as well just ask to be subbed.
    You have to hit back hard and early, that is what I drum into all forwards I coach!

You care you mention the club that you coach, or are you afraid of public backlash when it's made known that you are thug, who tells his players to hit aback hard to a defender, pulling a jersey is one thing, but to actually coach a player to hit back, which is red card offence is entirely different.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You care you mention the club that you coach, or are you afraid of public backlash when it's made known that you are thug, who tells his players to hit aback hard to a defender, pulling a jersey is one thing, but to actually coach a player to hit back, which is red card offence is entirely different.

Ah seriously, have you played any level of football? Players aren't going to stand back and take it from a player who is dragging and pulling them all over the place. Anyone that does isn't going to survive too long in any level of competitive football.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Ah seriously, have you played any level of football? Players aren't going to stand back and take it from a player who is dragging and pulling them all over the place. Anyone that does isn't going to survive too long in any level of competitive football.

I have, and never once in 10 years did any coach turn around and tell us to hit an opponent hard.

I suppose your of the attitude that its' ok to dig the butt of a hurl into the ribs of a defender as well?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have, and never once in 10 years did any coach turn around and tell us to hit an opponent hard.

I suppose your of the attitude that its' ok to dig the butt of a hurl into the ribs of a defender as well?

Never played hurling so can't answer that.
    Coach didn't tell us, its called standing up for yourself. If your opponent is fair then thats the way it will be played, but if he is dragging and pulling or driving his nails into your arms and back and standing on your heels then you will politely reciprocate the pleasure back to him.

"Nice teams" win nothing, Mayo were always labelled as nice teams, we lost final after final for been too nice. I wouldn't apologise for them having a bit of steel now. Look back over the AI winners in both football and hurling, they all had a steel/hardness (dirt to some), if it was to lead Mayo to winning an AI then so be it.

Coach didn't tell us, its called standing up for yourself. If your opponent is fair then thats the way it will be played, but if he is dragging and pulling or driving his nails into your arms and back and standing on your heels then you will politely reciprocate the pleasure back to him.

"Nice teams" win nothing, Mayo were always labelled as nice teams, we lost final after final for been too nice. I wouldn't apologise for them having a bit of steel now. Look back over the AI winners in both football and hurling, they all had a steel/hardness (dirt to some), if it was to lead Mayo to winning an AI then so be it.

The poster i replied to said he was a coach, and then he told his players to do it, thats what i was calling him out for, what you do as a player is one thing, but for a coach to actually tell his players to hit an opponent hard is not on imo.

Your saying reciprocate the pleasure back to him, original poster said hit hit back hard and early. Dragging a shirt can be black card, hitting an opponent back is a red. There is a huge difference.

Is it fair what Connolly did, do you agree with him punching there given that he was dragged to the ground or in a headlock?

The poster i replied to said he was a coach, and then he told his players to do it, thats what i was calling him out for, what you do as a player is one thing, but for a coach to actually tell his players to hit an opponent hard is not on imo.

Your saying reciprocate the pleasure back to him, original poster said hit hit back hard and early. Dragging a shirt can be black card, hitting an opponent back is a red. There is a huge difference.

Coach on team I played against told his players to target me, I was playing County football at the time, they did I ended up with 4 stitches in my leg, so its not uncommon. We still won, I still scored enough.

Dragging a shirt isn't a black card, dragging them down is. There were instances of jerseys been tugged and pulled last Sunday and in all games.

You prefer to play clean thats fair enough, but higher the level you go the more this goes on and its taught, as County players are told to try get their arm into their opponents arm to instigate a drag down, like your told to take a step back onto the opponents toes to slow them etc etc etc.
    And if you think a good hard challenge into your opponent will occupy then for the game allowing you an advantage then you'll do that too.

As I said, if you play fair, then thats fair enough, but I played GAA and soccer for probably close on 30 years and the higher up the grades you went the more you had to take care of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is it fair what Connolly did, do you agree with him punching there given that he was dragged to the ground or in a headlock?

Dragging a shirt is not a black card and he wasnt dragged to the groung, there was a pair of them in it, it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There's nothing wrong with hitting an opponent with a hard challenge. The stuff you mentioned goes on in games up and down the country every week. You certainly need to look after yourself playing at the higher levels because you get less time on the ball and the challenges are harder.
    What you can't do though is start swinging elbows about recklessly at head height.

If COC is dragging out of a player next Saturday does that give them the right to flake him in the head with an elbow?

Of course it doesn't and to argue otherwise is ridiculous. It's dangerous and shouldn't be accepted. Football is a tough enough game without condoning recklessness that could end a players career.

Mayo have a tough streak in them, so do Dublin, Kerry, Donegal. You don't get to the top by lying down when the going gets tough. However both teams let themselves down on Sunday. They were both so worried about not losing that they forgot to go out and win the game.

Someone is either going to get black carded or red carded early on Saturday if that nonsense carries on. It's about the only way any ref can possibly control it if they start like they finished on Sunday.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Patww79 wrote: »
    JRant wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with hitting an opponent with a hard challenge. The stuff you mentioned goes on in games up and down the country every week. You certainly need to look after yourself playing at the higher levels because you get less time on the ball and the challenges are harder.
    What you can't do though is start swinging elbows about recklessly at head height.

If COC is dragging out of a player next Saturday does that give them the right to flake him in the head with an elbow?

Of course it doesn't and to argue otherwise is ridiculous. It's dangerous and shouldn't be accepted. Football is a tough enough game without condoning recklessness that could end a players career.

Mayo have a tough streak in them, so do Dublin, Kerry, Donegal. You don't get to the top by lying down when the going gets tough. However both teams let themselves down on Sunday. They were both so worried about not losing that they forgot to go out and win the game.

Someone is either going to get black carded or red carded early on Saturday if that nonsense carries on. It's about the only way any ref can possibly control it if they start like they finished on Sunday.

Don't disagree with either of ye, and agree that Saturday will be or should be a totally different reffed game and I suspect we will see, IF the teams continue the same way, a couple of blacks and reds.
    To be honest I am not sure where the holier than thou thingy is coming from, I've said we aren't a nice team anymore and don't apologise for it, and as you said neither are the top 3 or 4 teams in Ireland.

Don't disagree with either of ye, and agree that Saturday will be or should be a totally different reffed game and I suspect we will see, IF the teams continue the same way, a couple of blacks and reds.
    To be honest I am not sure where the holier than thou thingy is coming from, I've said we aren't a nice team anymore and don't apologise for it, and as you said neither are the top 3 or 4 teams in Ireland.

The holier than thou is been driven by the media imo.

Watching TSG you'd swear there was only one team at it when they were both actting the maggot from the throw in.

AOS didn't exactly help matters with his comments after the game either as far as I'm concerned. He was more than willing to get involved throughout the game yet decides to have a go about a non existent headbutt that he instigated.

He's a smashing player but he let himself down with those comments.

The holier than thou is been driven by the media imo.

Watching TSG you'd swear there was only one team at it when they were both actting the maggot from the throw in.

AOS didn't exactly help matters with his comments after the game either as far as I'm concerned. He was more than willing to get involved throughout the game yet decides to have a go about a non existent headbutt that he instigated.

He's a smashing player but he let himself down with those comments.

Well that is viewed based on what color your tints are. Anyway I am not going into all that again, I'm bored with it all at this stage, just let Saturday come and happen now.

LOL

Every half decent forward I know hits back when a defender pulls and drags, most don't need to be told either.
    And the probability of getting a red card for it is close to zero thankfully.

• Advertisement

Well that is viewed based on what color your tints are. Anyway I am not going into all that again, I'm bored with it all at this stage, just let Saturday come and happen now.

Fair enough but it's very rare for a player, from any county, to publicly moan like that to the media.

Yeah, looking forward to it myself. Think it will be a much different game and the better for it.

Fair enough but it's very rare for a player, from any county, to publicly moan like that to the media.

Yeah, looking forward to it myself. Think it will be a much different game and the better for it.

Kieran Donaghy moans a bit ha ha

Agreed, If I am to die of a heart attack at a game then it might be Saturday.
    Enjoy the game.

If you're going to change the game and penalise everyone for pulling and dragging fair play, you'll need at least 14 referees each game.

Hitting back often leads to a cleaner, or at least, less messy game.

If I'm a back pulling and dragging at COC and he does nothing about it I'll obviously keep pulling and dragging, if I know he's likely to retaliate with head high elbow, well I might have to change my approach.

As a forward you have to try and stop the holding or you have no chance of making runs, getting space, playing any way well. Different approaches work in different games.

If I was coaching Mayo this week I would tell COC not to hit out on Sat., too much attention on you, instead do a Lee Keegan on it, pull him to the ground in a headlock, hopefully you both get yellow cards and he has to be very careful after that.

Kieran Donaghy moans a bit ha ha

Agreed, If I am to die of a heart attack at a game then it might be Saturday.
    Enjoy the game.

To be honest I don't think Donaghy has an off button for his moaning. Even when he's winning he can't seem to help himself!!

Same to you, the nerves are building already. I'd say the players are just itching to get going after all the negative press.

If you're going to change the game and penalise everyone for pulling and dragging fair play, you'll need at least 14 referees each game.

Hitting back often leads to a cleaner, or at least, less messy game.

If I'm a back pulling and dragging at COC and he does nothing about it I'll obviously keep pulling and dragging, if I know he's likely to retaliate with head high elbow, well I might have to change my approach.

As a forward you have to try and stop the holding or you have no chance of making runs, getting space, playing any way well. Different approaches work in different games.

If I was coaching Mayo this week I would tell COC not to hit out on Sat., too much attention on you, instead do a Lee Keegan on it, pull him to the ground in a headlock, hopefully you both get yellow cards and he has to be very careful after that.

It's not just backs who do it though. Look at how many fouls attackers give away by pulling and dragging.

Would you have an issue if COC was pulling a Dublin player and got opened up with an elbow?

Because what your suggesting is that it would be perfectly okay for someone to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You can play tough without being cynical. My favourate games (playing and watching) are when teams/players are equally tough but equally respectful. It is possible, but only if most people are on the same page (it only takes one team to ruin it!).

If you start allowing the cynical side to be used as a strategy (like all the off the ball sh*t going on last sunday), it will become a more prominent part of the game. We don't need to get into hysterics about it and go all old school in discussions and rants.

Its quite easy to restrict the benefits of pulling down players off the ball. Get linesmen and umpires more involved. For bigger games (say provincial finals onwards), all umpires should be trained linesmen/refs at a certain level. Then you have a ref and 6 other sets of eyes on the pitch.

Umpires are to report fouls (like they should but seldom do) and pulling down a player off the ball is a yellow card offence (no matter what stage of game). That happens after 2 mins and the defender has a problem!

That aside, if a player is deemed to of dived to get another booked, its an automatic one game ban.

Get rid of black card (because its too subjective and confusing to refs) and bring in 5 min sin bin. For example With 5 mins to go players pulling others down in scorable positions will get sin binned.

Change the rules to make discipline more concrete (from ridiculous challenges to bans). For example, if a player gets banned for obvious diving/cheating (like PM last week faking injury) and they unsuccessfully challenge the ban, its automatic 3 game ban. If they take that to high court (or whatever ridiculous court they can take it to) and lose, its an automatic 12 month football ban.

Bring that in for a few seasons and watch teams change, particularly if players don't challenge disciplinary proceedings.

The thing is, you can accept something is part and parcel of a game and do nothing or you can try and make changes to an element of the game that does not enhance the sport. Doing nothing changes nothing. Doing something may not fix it, but its the only way you can start to address the problem.

As a Dub I want Dublin to win of course but as a Gaelic fan I was hoping to see two great games (Dublin v Mayo and winner v Kerry). Last week was a complete disappointment in that both teams focused nearly more on stopping each other then they did on playing their own games.

The football is already struggling to entertain until August comes around. I would instinctively blame the Northern teams for upgrading the cynicism in the game, but that's unfair because Kerry, Dublin and Mayo chose to adopt it instead of finding an alternative solution. Its a real shame, but its up to the authorities to make changes that will basically make the gains of cynical play/strategy of neutral to negative benefit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

however Mayo fans seem to think all their players were angles and didn't deserve any bookings.

You ok hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

He was asked a question during an interview and he answered it; not like he sought out the reporter to make a big deal of it.

• Advertisement

Padkir wrote: »
    He was asked a question during an interview and he answered it; not like he sought out the reporter to make a big deal of it.

And it was a headbutt.

It's not just backs who do it though. Look at how many fouls attackers give away by pulling and dragging.

Would you have an issue if COC was pulling a Dublin player and got opened up with an elbow?

Because what your suggesting is that it would be perfectly okay for someone to do this.

I wasn't talking about fouling the player in possession which may be an attempt to tackle the ball, I was talking about holding and dragging where the ball is 50 or 60 or even 100 yards away.

Also I'm not suggesting it is OK for someone to be " opened up with an elbow" as you put it.

I'm saying it's ok to swing back when you are being pulled and dragged.

COC swung back a straight arm (not an elbow), ROC was just unlucky, it might have just glanced off the top of his head or hit him on the shoulder, it wasn't even that hard ffs, 9 times out of 10 that doesn't leave a mark even when it connects with the face.
    But I suspect you know all this are leading me on a bit so I'll say no more.

Padkir wrote: »

He was looking to get a player banned for a nonexistent headbutt. The same player who just happened to put in a great defensive display against him.
    Call me a cynic but he knew exactly what he was at qith those comments.

I wasn't talking about fouling the player in possession which may be an attempt to tackle the ball, I was talking about holding and dragging where the ball is 50 or 60 or even 100 yards away.

Also I'm not suggesting it is OK for someone to be " opened up with an elbow" as you put it.

COC swung back a straight arm (not an elbow), ROC was just unlucky, it might have just glanced off the top of his head or hit him on the shoulder, it wasn't even that hard ffs, 9 times out of 10 that doesn't leave a mark even when it connects with the face.

If a defender is pulling and dragging a forward it is absolutely natural to try to break free. The defender has committed the foul and you wouldnt have to try to break free if he wasnt committing said foul. The defender loses his rights to be aggrieved if he is cynically pulling the forward back. O'Connor looks at the umpire and puts him on notice of what O'Carroll was doing. The arm flicks back to break free and he catches him flush. Happens in games all over the country every day of the week.

You want to stop defenders getting flailing arms and elbows? Tell them to stop pulling and dragging.

This is a handy topic as it affords an easy route to working out how many here actually play the game or played the game at any sort of competitive level. Being all shocked that forwards are instructed to use their elbows to deal with a defender who wont let go of the jersey betrays that perfectly.

Nonsense, if you are reckless with any part of your body and cause that kind of damage then you should be riding the pine for a few weeks, minimum.

Lashing out at head height on someone and then claiming it was accidental is no excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Which teams the lads were on makes no difference to me, I admire both Dublin and Mayo, the level they've brought their game to is awesome.

Nonsense, if you are reckless with any part of your body and cause that kind of damage then you should be riding the pine for a few weeks, minimum.

Lashing out at head height on someone and then claiming it was accidental is no excuse as far as I'm concerned.

No one claimed it was accidental. It was justified however.

Nah, it's all in the game, yo

Don't be hugging him, he won't swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There are a lot of people around here stating almost as fact that CO'C hit RO'C with an elbow.

Did he not connect with his outstretched arm and not directly with the elbow?

The use of the word elbow brings up the emotive connotation that it was the old fashioned bent elbow swung back, probably like the time a Dublin player broke a Mayo players jaw in 1985.

BTW John Finn didn't go down in a heap and go off, but played on till the end.
    Now that's hardness for ye.

If only boards existed back then we could have a right old discussion and how no one even mentioned the culprit by name in the media. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    There are a lot of people around here stating almost as fact that CO'C hit RO'C with an elbow.

Did he not connect with his outstretched arm and not directly with the elbow?

The use of the word elbow brings up the emotive connotation that it was the old fashioned bent elbow swung back, probably like the time a Dublin player broke a Mayo players jaw in 1985.

BTW John Finn didn't go down in a heap and go off, but played on till the end.
    Now that's hardness for ye.

If only boards existed back then we could have a right old discussion and how no one even mentioned the culprit by name in the media. ;)

Ya I read that today, some kid! :D

Peist2007 wrote: »
    No one claimed it was accidental. It was justified however.

A player ends up in hospital and you think it's justified?

Beggars belief really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is replay only on sky as I looked at rte website and doesn't look like they have it, tia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is replay only on sky as I looked at rte website and doesn't look like they have it, tia

every semi and final is shown on rte of course it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

You can also see a striking action by the Mayo player against Connolly and I also note that the only player to need ten stitches was a Dublin player. This game was not that bad and pales in comparison to other GAA matches (Tyrone and Donegal spring to mind) but needless to say that once Dublin is involved everyone crawls out from the rocks to try and stick the boot in.

We had the infamous punch up between Meath v Mayo in the All Ireland Final, imagine the phony outrage if Dublin was involved in a melee during an AIF!!!

I also note that the Pat McEnavey let his veil of impartiality slip...

• Advertisement

In a way last Sunday was sort of inevitable, the real discussion point should be the way the game is heading and if this what we want as an association.

There's been a lot of talk this last while about the "big 4" and how Dublin Kerry Mayo and Donegal have opened up a gap between themselves and the rest, and no other county can win Sam.

This is true, but how did they do it?

Physicality and conditioning, these are the 4 biggest, strongest, fittest, most athletic and best prepared teams ever seen in the sport.

Cork and Monaghan the so called 2nd tier are the only teams on a par physically, they are just a few good footballers short of being contenders.

If you can first impose yourself physically on the opposition then you can score at will later on. In essence run over them, and that is what has been happening.

That is why we see some huge winning margins appearing as "nice" teams are battered into submission, and why the northern teams are seldom overrun.

As the game has evolved into a running, short passing, keeping possession and carrying game, power and endurance have become more important, and players have bulked up and the hits are harder.

It's almost like rugby when it went professional now, and the top teams are meticilous in preparation and professional in all but name.

For me, Mayo and Dublin are just a little bit ahead of the others in this regard, so when the unstoppable force met the immoveable object, well the end result was last Sunday.

Now that they both realise you can't steamroll the particular opposition we might see more football on Saturday.

The only problem is when you put so much into something and the only reward is winning, the stakes are high so "intinsity" as Pat Spillane might say could be the order of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You can also see a striking action by the Mayo player against Connolly and I also note that the only player to need ten stitches was a Dublin player. This game was not that bad and pales in comparison to other GAA matches (Tyrone and Donegal spring to mind) but needless to say that once Dublin is involved everyone crawls out from the rocks to try and stick the boot in.

We had the infamous punch up between Meath v Mayo in the All Ireland Final, imagine the phony outrage if Dublin was involved in a melee during an AIF!!!

Ehh you have that one well covered already.

Look up 1983 and how Dublin won with "The Dirty Dozen".

What Mayo and Meath got up to in 96 was like boy scouts in comparison.

Anyway here is hoping for a better game on Saturday or at least the right winner.;)

I am not allowed discuss …

as I said before I admire the Dublin team but going by here and a few other places some of their supporters are right crying whingebags.

A player ends up in hospital and you think it's justified?

Beggars belief really.

If it is due to his own intentional wrongdoing then no, it really doesnt beggar belief.

Elbow? Link please

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement