Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Mayo AI SF RTÉ 3:30pm MOD WARNING #634

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

destroyer wrote: »
    as I said before I admire the Dublin team but going by here and a few other places some of their supporters are right crying whingebags.

Your the poster that came out and said to coach players to hit and defender hard and early in a game. You think this is ok yet you laugh it off when others say it's wrong.

Do you coach your defenders to play fairly or do you tell them to drag out of forwards?

In training do your forwards practice how best to hit the defenders?

I put it to you about hurling - do you find it acceptable for a forward to drive the butt of a hurl into a defenders ribs?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

One problem the GAA has is the people with the attitude of "oh, I want the best players to be playing the biggest matches. I don't care if he should have got a red card: he shouldn't be suspended. Common sense people."

This attitude gives carte blanch to those who want to go out and act --- not the hard man --- but the thug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Peist2007 wrote: »
    If it is due to his own intentional wrongdoing then no, it really doesnt beggar belief.

Can you not justify Connolly punching Keegan on the same basis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Can you not justify Connolly punching Keegan on the same basis?

Connolly and O'Connor were two completely separate incidents. To attempt to turn them into one and the same is complete grasping at straws. I think Connolly should get off but, again, separate point.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Elbow? Link please

I guarantee ROC himself won't be whinging about the incident, or having any gripes with COC about it either.

I guarantee ROC himself won't be whinging about the incident, or having any gripes with COC about it either.

O'Carroll knows exactly the score. Probably takes a few of those every game he needs to be pulling and dragging his opposite number.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Your the poster that came out and said to coach players to hit and defender hard and early in a game. You think this is ok yet you laugh it off when others say it's wrong.

Do you coach your defenders to play fairly or do you tell them to drag out of forwards?

To play fairly at all times unless:

a) You are been messed with or intimidated, then retaliate.
    b) The forward is known to be put off his game when messed with

In training do your forwards practice how best to hit the defenders?

No, never. They do practice how to get free when being held or dragged, and this would include a flailing arm.

I put it to you about hurling - do you find it acceptable for a forward to drive the butt of a hurl into a defenders ribs?

I don't coach hurling but if I did, IF THE FORWARD IS BEING HELD, DRAGGED, PULLED, yes, I'd say drive it up his ass if you have to , you'll only have to do it once

So basically you teach your players to be thugs and would encourage a hurler to attacked an opponent with the hurl. You are everything that is wrong with the GAA of today. There is no place for any striker of a player with a fist or hand in the game.

Care to mention the team you coach - seeing as you don't think your doing anything wrong?

So basically you teach your players to be thugs and would encourage a hurler to attacked an opponent with the hurl. You are everything that is wrong with the GAA of today. There is no place for any striker of a player with a fist or hand in the game.

Care to mention the team you coach - seeing as you don't think your doing anything wrong?

Yes he teaches his players to be thugs :rolleyes:

Yes he teaches his players to be thugs :rolleyes:

What would you call a coach who says he would tell him players to stick the hurl up an opponents ass if he had to?

Equally he trains his players how to get out of being dragged, and this would include a flailing arm.

How would you like it if your son came home from training and needed 10 stitches because his coach told his forward thats what you got to do to break free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh you have that one well covered already.

Look up 1983 and how Dublin won with "The Dirty Dozen".

What Mayo and Meath got up to in 96 was like boy scouts in comparison.

Anyway here is hoping for a better game on Saturday or at least the right winner.;)

The right winner will be the team to put it up to Kerry in the final. It is likely that team would be the one who can actually score from open play and not be dependent on bad refereeing calls. That rules out Mayo, so :)

Diarmuid should be back if he just mentions two words.... Kevin Keane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What would you call a coach who says he would tell him players to stick the hurl up an opponents ass if he had to?

Equally he trains his players how to get out of being dragged, and this would include a flailing arm.

How would you like it if your son came home from training and needed 10 stitches because his coach told his forward thats what you got to do to break free.

What would you do to break free? Ask politely?

I would do exactly what my father did and explain to him that extended pulling and dragging deserves an arm swung back to free himself. If he was a defender and covered in blood after holding and not letting go and getting hit, then i would explain to him that the art of cynical defending is a tough one and he will receive many more flailing arms over the years if he wasnt willing to play clean.

I wouldnt be trying to get him to move with me to the unfeasible utopia that you seem to inhabit.

elefant wrote: »

Pretend like you didn't know he was behind and swing your arm hoping that none of the 82,000 fans or cameras see it.

http://giant.gfycat.com/QuarterlyJitteryFlies.mp4

Third man in on Connolly as well, wasn't he. Lovely chap.

elefant wrote: »

He would go home and write a strongly worded letter to the CCC that, next year, he would expect much more clean and straight defending when the ball is at the other end of the pitch. He would congratulate Rory O'Carroll for the win and dust himself off and move on.

No children crying? = priceless.

STB. wrote: »
    Pretend like you didn't know he was behind and swing your arm hoping that none of the 82,000 fans or cameras see it.

Yup O'Connor and Keegan really went at Connolly. O'Connor was trying to stop an assault. You'd think Connolly would thank O'Connor for stopping it when he did.

I would do exactly what my father did and explain to him that extended pulling and dragging deserves an arm swung back to free himself. If he was a defender and covered in blood after holding and not letting go and getting hit, then i would explain to him that the art of cynical defending is a tough one and he will receive many more flailing arms over the years if he wasnt willing to play clean.

I wouldnt be trying to get him to move with me to the unfeasible utopia that you seem to inhabit.

But you see, you are not advocating that he should play dirty. I will quote the said poster above again, who stated that he would tell his players to act dirty if

b) The forward is known to be put off his game when messed with

So basically instead of playing football and beaten him the right way - he is advocating that he should be dragged out of.

Like i said when i was coached for over 10 years, never once where we told to drag out of the opposition. It seems to be all about underhand tactics now, and win at all costs - which is ruining the game.

So basically you teach your players to be thugs and would encourage a hurler to attacked an opponent with the hurl.

No, I would encourage a hurler to defend himself with the hurl, anyway I don't coach hurling so nobody's getting hurt. ;)

You are everything that is wrong with the GAA of today. There is no place for any striker of a player with a fist or hand in the game.

What about elbow, arm, knee, head and boot? Are thy OK?

It Doesn't matter who I coach, my methods are standard enough and can be found anywhere, including in the Dublin and Mayo camps.
    To be honest I'm in no way innovative, I go to see top coaches coach top teams and copy the bits I think will work.

But you see, you are not advocating that he should play dirty. I will quote the said poster above again, who stated that he would tell his players to act dirty if

So basically instead of playing football and beaten him the right way - he is advocating that he should be dragged out of.

Like i said when i was coached for over 10 years, never once where we told to drag out of the opposition. It seems to be all about underhand tactics now, and win at all costs - which is ruining the game.

Your whole point is moot because all of this is a reaction to the actual foul being committed by the defender. Rory O'Carroll's face would still be intact if he had not been cynically fouling off the ball. You cannot see that?

Ps you are saying you are quoting me when you are quoting someone else. Now you may be making a mistake and fair enough. On the contrary you could be seen to be making me sound contradictory so as to prove your point. Which would be disingenuous. Amend there like a good man please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Jeez the whole Cillian O Connor incident is getting blown out of all proportion and is a really petty attempt to try get one of Mayo's best forwards suspended in response to Connolly being suspended.

Lets be straight about this- you can't be selective on what incidents you examine so if people want to play this game then there would be grounds to ban the following:

McMahon- punching player on the ground after penalty was won
    Cluxton- kicking out at Aidan O Shea when he had been fouled
    Cooper- Worst tackle of the game and a fairly pathetic cheap shot on a guy who was completely open after releasing the ball.

This is a very dangerous game to start playing and I'd imagine that Dublin have more to lose from it than Mayo.

Nobody's pretending. He knew exactly where ROC was.

That clip just makes ROC look dirty and cynical, don't think he'll get much sympathy on that evidence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nobody's pretending. He knew exactly where ROC was.

That clip just makes ROC look dirty and cynical, don't think he'll get much sympathy on that evidence.

Agreed on that, COC caught him with his arm. Hadnt seen that clip before but to be honest I can't see anything cynical in it.

yop wrote: »
    Agreed on that, COC caught him with his arm. Hadnt seen that clip before but to be honest I can't see anything cynical in it.

Is that because you are from Mayo.

Of course it was cynical. He knew exactly where his opponent was and lashed out accordingly. He probably thought he got away with it, only for the high boom camera above the posts that make him out as a right thug.

The camera is actually slowed down, it was aright wallop.

You cannot raise your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Of course it was cynical. He knew exactly where his opponent was and lashed out accordingly. He probably thought he got away with it, only for the high boom camera above the posts that make him out as a right thug.

Thats actually quite funny.

He probably thought he got away with it did he? he was doing his best to attract attention, shouting and waving at the umpires to draw attention to what was going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

The team talk for Gavin will be very easy on Saturday 'Lads, everyone hates ye, and thinks yese are thugs and scumbags. Feck them and go out there and do what no one wants ye to do and bate those Mayo lads back to Castlbar and murder the feckers' Except maybe he shouldn't use the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

The team talk for Gavin will be very easy on Saturday 'Lads, everyone hates ye, and thinks yese are thugs and scumbags. Feck them and go out there and do what no one wants ye to do and bate those Mayo lads back to Castlbar and murder the feckers' Except maybe he shouldn't use the murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Do you actually believe that players are conscious of what cameras are looking at them when they are playing?? I would have thought they had enough to worry about...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thread has gone as far as it can I feel. It's just going round in circles at this stage.
    A new thread for the replay will be opened soon. Don't go starting the same arguments in other threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement