Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert English Texts

• 30-08-2015 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi. Just wondering what novels and drama texts people have decided to study with their second years? Was thinking of going with Lord of the Flies or Of Mice and Men and Romeo and Juliet..but is that all a bit too depressing?!...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

VitaminB wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering what novels and drama texts people have decided to study with their second years? Was thinking of going with Lord of the Flies or Of Mice and Men and Romeo and Juliet..but is that all a bit too depressing?!...

Going to start with The Dare cause it's short & do Lord of the Flies after Christmas. I'll let them choose one of the 10 films & do Shakespeare in 3rd year. Have you looked at the online materials for planning: http://www.jct.ie/english/english.php#planning

• Registered Users Posts: 8 VitaminB

Ok great. I had been looking on and off at the materials for planning over the past few months but I see they have put some new stuff up there so must go in and have a more thorough look.

I have a very capable bunch so it is just trying to make a final decisions on what texts to use. I have taught Of Mice and Men and Mockingbird before and loved them but was going to give some of the others a go maybe. I read 'Noughts and Crosses' there and really liked the concept of it..though there were one or two pages I was worried about for second years!! I hear the 'Knife of Never Letting Go' is good too but haven't read it.

I love 'Jane Eyre' too but worried that the boys in the class might not be as keen on it and it is quite weighty to get through too...that's why I think Lord of the Flies is my best bet for all of them to enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember as a teenage girl reading 'Lord of the Flies' and thinking why were boys so stupid that this is how they acted when left to their own devices. Not sure it will appeal to girls, at least there are some men in 'Jane Eyre'.

How about 'Fahrenheit 451' or something like 'The Hunger Games trilogy'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 VitaminB

I'd love to do the Hunger Games but it's not on the prescribed list (if all this is going ahead!)...and because a good few of them (the girls) like the series and the Divergent stuff I thought the Lord of the Flies would be a good bet for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh apologies, I forgot about the new syllabus. I think I blanked all changes from my mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement