Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have never heard of Martial.

Every time I've read his name tonight this image has popped into my head:

_65885650_ianmarshall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sport Witness not calling BS on the Martial story so somethings happening.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/638067286113427458?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Charlie Austin is 4/7 to sign for United :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sterling at 20 has 19 league goals in 99 games. Cost £49 million.
    Martial at 19 has 11 goals in 51 league games. a claimed bid of £36 million/€50 million.
    I know they are different leagues.

Origi had 14 goals in 73 games, which isn't much worse than Martial, yet he cost Liverpool <1/3 of the price rumoured here.

If United pay 36m for him, they are really getting f*cked up the arse by Monaco.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »
    Sport Witness not calling BS on the Martial story so somethings happening.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/638067286113427458?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Reading reddit, it seems to be stemming from the same sources who broke Falcao to United, and were on the ball all summer with Di Maria to PSG. Seems a reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ah now,he was shocking,he has the touch of Larry Murphy at an ICA meeting.Contributed very little and when he had 2 chances he let Williams back to tackle him while he dithered.He's lost his instinctive play and is a shadow of the player he was-certainly not a £300k a week player.

He held onto the ball well when it came up to him and passed it around well today. Aside from the two chances your criticism is completely the opposite of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Charlie Austin is 4/7 to sign for United :O

Hopefully Chelsea will hijack it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pro. F wrote: »
    He really wasn't. He held the ball up and linked up well. He did miss two chances, one which he created for himself, where you would normally expect him to come away with one goal, but these things happen to all strikers, regardless of how important it is that they score at that moment.

I agree.

He was below average but not dire. I thought Schweinstiger first half and Depay overall was poor, and Blind was weak at times. Romero had a job to do and wasn't up to it.

Rooney wasn't great but he wasn't rubbish. It's the system thats killing him and the team imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Trilla wrote: »
    I agree.

He was below average but not dire. I thought Schweinstiger first half and Depay overall was poor, and Blind was weak at times. Romero had a job to do and wasn't up to it.

Rooney wasn't great but he wasn't rubbish. It's the system thats killing him and the team imo

The system relies on a CF to create space, keep a high tempo in attack and to like do something, get a spark from somewhere.

Rooney is just as culpable to the attacking problems as those around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Didnt liverpool pay £35m for Carroll.

At least these Martial for £36m are only just rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

LVG stormed out of the press conference when pressed on the keeper situation.

"You think you are smarter than I, but it is not like that".

Link doesn't seem to work embedded

https://youtu.be/tAJHf_b00mY

I agree.

I agree. Between Falcao and RVP last season, Rooney so far this season and Hernandez' cameo against Brugges last week, I don't think it's a coincidence that none of our strikers are/were in form and confidence under LVG. The way he has this United side set up is not one in which a striker can thrive. He needs to set the side up to adequately serve our strikers, not just feel obligated to throw one in to his rigid possession based setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Charlie Austin is 4/7 to sign for United

Favourites to sign him after United are, in order Newcastle, bournemouth, wba, Norwich and Southampton...

I agree.

His position is too rigid,he needs to be deeper with a proper #9 ahead but that doesn't forgive him his piss poor touch,passing at times and two misses due to lack of conviction in his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LVG stormed out of the press conference when pressed on the keeper situation.

"You think you are smarter than I, but it is not like that".

wow... need to see this!

wow... need to see this!

That's the link if its not playing when embedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

wow... need to see this!

I posted the link a few pages back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

His position is too rigid,he needs to be deeper with a proper #9 ahead but that doesn't forgive him his piss poor touch,passing at times and two misses due to lack of conviction in his ability.

What he needs is Mata behind him and a fast penetrative player on the right. Also Memphis not to have any more games like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I agree.

United fans defending Rooney really make me wonder. To me, it's clear as day that he is simply not good enough to be a striker for a title winning or even chasing team and hasn't been for some time now. To be honest, he's not a good enough playmaker for the number 10 either. You'd be better off with Hernandez up front (or another striker if you can get a good one) and Herrera behind. There's no place for Rooney on that team. If you want to win that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I seen that on MUTV - It was hardly a walkout when the presser was actually over but you would expect the man to be agitated after today's result - we all are and to be fair they kept asking the same question about De Gea and signing players over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's the link if its not playing when embedded.

A manager that is under alot of pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

LVG is under pressure and he should be, our striker situation is at this moment in time a mess, our goalkeeper situation is a mess and we should have better than Blind in defense. He has done alright but there is better out there.
    Maybe he will fix all of this. I don't mind having a clear out if we have the player to replace them, and so far this isn't the case, we have a midfield and our defense overall is better, but LVG puts pressure on himself by allowing these situations to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Van Gaal needs to realise quickly that the media are exceptionally powerful in England.

If things go t*ts up again this year like they did for a lot of last season and they turn on him, LVG won't last long. While entertaining, some of his press conferences are steeped with cringe and he appears to have a very condescending attitude.

Memnoch wrote: »
    United fans defending Rooney really make me wonder. To me, it's clear as day that he is simply not good enough to be a striker for a title winning or even chasing team and hasn't been for some time now. To be honest, he's not a good enough playmaker for the number 10 either. You'd be better off with Hernandez up front (or another striker if you can get a good one) and Herrera behind. There's no place for Rooney on that team. If you want to win that is.

What has Hernandez done to suggest that he is good enough to be 1st choice striker in a title winning side? Rooney in that City side would easily bag 20+ goals in a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Van Gaal needs to realise quickly that the media are exceptionally powerful in England.

If things go t*ts up again this year like they did for a lot of last season and they turn on him, LVG won't last long. While entertaining, some of his press conferences are steeped with cringe and he appears to have a very condescending attitude.

In some regards he is right to be.

Barely a reporter or interviewer has asked any intelligent questions this weekend about the football, all post match conferences I've seen dripped in transfer questions across a few clubs.

Van Gaal clearly isn't interested in the pantomime of transfers, and I kinda get where he is coming from. It's relentless. He could be nicer, but appreciate why he is not

Like what moron asked that question? Cause Van Gaal is going to say "no, I'm not happy with the goalkeeper ive alpyed last three weeks2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Er I reckon the ex manager of Bayern Munich, Netherlands, Ajax and Barcalona knows about media pressure!

Liam O wrote: »
    What he needs is Mata behind him and a fast penetrative player on the right. Also Memphis not to have any more games like today.

He's not a #9,maybe when he was younger and had that explosive burst but not now.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Would be happy with Martial.

Based on What?

Based on What?

His arts.

Get's coat.:p

Er I reckon the ex manager of Bayern Munich, Netherlands, Ajax and Barcalona knows about media pressure!

Wasn't it Jose, a manager of Madrid, Inter, Porto who said the English media were the most difficult to deal with on world football?

2014/2015
    Charlie Austin - 18 goals in 36 for a crap team in a difficult league against teams that we are generally not scoring against.
    Anthony Martial - 8 goals in 31 for a very good team (figuratively) in a crap league.

I'm not saying Austin is the answer, but Martial certainly isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Realistically we'll need an attacking midfielder, a winger, a striker, a keeper and a centre back if we're to be involved in any title challenge. Embarrassing performance again

• Advertisement

If thats true, best of luck to Chico. Ill always have a soft spot for Chico.

On the other side, what the **** are utd thinking. If no signing comes in, someone has to pay for this ****e transfer window

Throw everything at Luca Toni. Problem solved.

Headshot wrote: »

On the other side, what the **** are utd thinking. If no signing comes in, someone has to pay for this ****e transfer window

If Hernandez is off, I'd be 110% certain its cause a striker is incoming, even if it's "just" Martial....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Headshot wrote: »

I would say there is close to zero chance of Hernandez going and no one being brought in. Even with all that has gone on in transfer windows since Fergie left I still don't think it would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I wonder is the problem that there is money freely available for "Galactico" signings (i.e. ones that conceivably pay for themselves when you factor in increased brand profile, merchandising etc etc) but that for lower profile players immediately below that bracket there's a painfully slow back and forth between LvG-Woodward-Glazers in order to get it sanctioned and moving.

Just a theory obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Painfully obvious at this stage Rooney won't be dropped we're really short with strikers, which ponders the question why RVP was let go. Rooney in behind hernandez would be much more effective imo but it looks like Chicos off too. Baffling situation all around

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

TheDoc wrote: »
    The system relies on a CF to create space...

Which he is doing by staying between the CBs and constantly threatening to run in behind whenever there's a pass on.
    ...keep a high tempo in attack..

Which he does by making lots of quick, one- and two-touch passes.
    ...and to like do something, get a spark from somewhere.

He's a hard working goal scorer who can hold the ball up a bit, shows for and makes a lot of passes. He'll run a lot, keep it moving and score chances that come his way at a good rate. Is that not enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Chico is gone then I believe we already have a deal wrapped up for another striker. Why leave ourselves in such a poor negotiating position?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

The only way the system we are playing works is if the forwards in the team are of the absolute elite on world football , we are taking messi, suarez , Neymar , bale , Ronaldo etc . Lvg does not want to take risks, if Fergie was still in charge he'd have Schneiderlin with Herrera as the central 2 , mata behind Rooney with young and depay on the wings . Schweinstegger def doesn't look fit enough and depay is still quite raw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Painfully obvious at this stage Rooney won't be dropped we're really short with strikers, which ponders the question why RVP was let go. Rooney in behind hernandez would be much more effective imo but it looks like Chicos off too. Baffling situation all around

Who to drop him for? Fellaini? Chico? Wilson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Who to drop him for? Fellaini? Chico? Wilson?

That was kind of my point. With RVP/Chico being sold and Falcao off we're left with nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads I'm on the piss and some fela in the pub told me Austin is joining us, what's the story?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads I'm on the piss and some fela in the pub told me Austin is joining us, what's the story?

yup he's at Carrington at the moment

Some lad on Twitter seemingly made it up, but people are running with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glass him, the cheek

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement