If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do the Sonos Playbar and the Q Acoustics Media 4 stack up to each other in pure s

Options
  • 30-08-2015 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for some good sounding bedroom audio for a family member and I was wondering how the Sonos Playbar and the Q Acoustics Media 4 stack up to each other in terms of pure sound quality? Obviously the Playbar has superior streaming capabilities but that means nothing if it doesn't sound good. It would be used for music and movies and with space limited I think a soundbar would be the only way to go. 

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi

I'm looking for some good sounding bedroom audio for a family member and I was wondering how the Sonos Playbar and the Q Acoustics Media 4 stack up to each other in terms of pure sound quality? Obviously the Playbar has superior streaming capabilities but that means nothing if it doesn't sound good. It would be used for music and movies and with space limited I think a soundbar would be the only way to go. 

Thanks
    Gerard,

many thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

There really is no comparison is audio terms between the Sonos Playbar and the M4 - the M4 just clean blows the Playbar out of the water and of course its significantly less expensive! To be fair to the Playbar, the M4 only has Bluetooth streaming and no networking features - but if its audio quality you are primarily interested in then look no further than the M4 - its exceptional!

And as a bonus its reduced at the moment to just €449.99 including shipping...

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200641-m-4.aspx

If you did like the networking features of the Sonos Playbar but you wanted to maximise the audio quality and you wanted to stick around the same price as the Sonos - the new Denon Heos Home Cinema is a real stunner and its really well priced at just €799.99 - the Heos has all the streaming features of the Playbar ( and lots more) but it sounds radically better - the pricing is really amazing on the Heos as it also includes the wireless sub and HDMI functionality at about 1/2 the price of the Sonos Bar / Sub price level - and it really does sound better! it has Dolby digital and DTS decoding on board as well - if you want a streaming bar - look no further!

Thanks again for the post and drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again!

Do you sell the Denon Heos Home Cinema by the way?

Do you sell the Denon Heos Home Cinema by the way?
    Yes and its a real show stopper - it's really reasonably priced at £599 ( even better value in euro at €799.99 inc. shipping)  and it includes the wireless sub whilst the Sonos Sub is €698 extra!

In terms of audio quality and specification - I think its significantly better than the Sonos Playbar and its super slim-line and compact as well - I have started to replace my own Opus Multiroom system at home with Heos ( I did briefly have Sonos) and I think that the Heos system is the best multi room system available at the moment without smashing the piggy bank!

The Heos system just offer so much in terms of streaming, sources, flexible networking and the app is a joy to use - and as its a Denon product the emphasis is totally on audio quality which is really outstanding.

The App is really easy to use, the only slightly annoying ting is that as they are still actively developing it you have to update the app about every 2 weeks but to be fair every update seems to bring a significant improvement - if you use Tidal as your streaming service - it just sounds amazing via the Heos!

Have a look online here - its in stock and ready to ship:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201491-homecinema.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

If you could indulge just one more question how does the Heos measure up to the Media 4? Can it match it in sound quality?

• Advertisement

If you could indulge just one more question how does the Heos measure up to the Media 4? Can it match it in sound quality?
    'eh no - unfortunately as far as I have heard to date there is no sound-bar within €100 that comes close to the M4 in sound quality terms - but the Heos would be one of the ones that runs it closest ( but to be fair it has a separate sub!) and again to be fair to the Heos, its far, far more than just a simple soundbar!

Thanks again and no problem on the queries - keep them coming,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

This is basically pure curiosity at this point but its been on my mind. What soundbars do out perform the media 4? I've read that it holds its own against astronomically expensive options like the Dali Kubik One.

This is basically pure curiosity at this point but its been on my mind. What soundbars do out perform the media 4? I've read that it holds its own against astronomically expensive options like the Dali Kubik One.
    Gerard,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - and yes its depressing but true - the M4 is exceptional and sees off lots of sound-bars many times its price.

If you are looking to get something that sounds better than the M4 ( rather than just a higher feature count) the you will have to look towards the Arcam Solo WITH its matching sub ( it just doesn't do it without the sub) or else the Monitor Audio ASB2 which probably is the 1st sound-bar alone that will match the M4's audio quality without a matching sub ( the ASB2 is also pretty exceptional but it is quite a large unit)
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/monitor-audio-asb-2-review
    The ASB2 is significantly more expensive at £699 / €949 but I do have one open box unit available at £499 / €699 which is in A1 condition if you are interested - have a look on our site here:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-12454-asb2.aspx

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you and do keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I'm going to bring this one back from the dead. How is that YSP-2500? Also do you accent cash on delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

I'm going to bring this one back from the dead. How is that YSP-2500? Also do you accent cash on delivery?
    Funny this, I went here this forum to ask the same question!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Gerard_Smith.

Apologies for the delay.

The YSP2500 is a cracking soundbar a very very well reviewed (5 star What HiFi) coming in at 789.00 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200758-ysp2500.aspx

We have had one of these running in our store a few times and it does sound fantastic. The subwoofer with the YSP2500 provides that extra bass when compared to the M4. However at the price point of the M4 there is nothing better.

Both M4 and YSP2500 in stock.

Unfortunately we can not do cash on delivery as we use an independent courier company for our deliveries.
    Credit or bank card and Bank transfer are our most common methods of payment.

Any questions drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Louispompey

Hi. I currently have my Bose Companion 3 setup for my television audio and music, but i'm considering purchasing an Q Acoustics Media 4.
    My question is, would this be an upgrade worth doing? Is the M4's sound quality superior enough to warrant spending £350 to improve my current setup?

I'm not interested in ease of use or connectivity, purely sound quality.

Thanks

Hi. I currently have my Bose Companion 3 setup for my television audio and music, but i'm considering purchasing an Q Acoustics Media 4.
    My question is, would this be an upgrade worth doing? Is the M4's sound quality superior enough to warrant spending £350 to improve my current setup?

I'm not interested in ease of use or connectivity, purely sound quality.

Thanks
    Hi Louispompey.

It would be hard for me to compare the Bose as I have not heard any Bose products up and running. I know they get good publicity but very really win any of the awards.

The M4 beats soundbars in and around the £500 mark.
    If possible you should try and get a listen to the M4 to get a better idea for yourself if the £350 would be worth the upgrade.
    How far are you from our Belfast store?

I have to say the the M4 really does sound the part.

Hi Kenny.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I'm actually quite a fair distance from Belfast but i shall stop in my local store today and have a listen.

I do like my Bose setup but i'm eager to upgrade.

Hi Kenny.
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I'm actually quite a fair distance from Belfast but i shall stop in my local store today and have a listen.

I do like my Bose setup but i'm eager to upgrade.
    Hey Louisepompey.

Pity you are so far from us. We have a comfortable little demo room we could have set it up for you.

Let me know what you think once you have had a listen locally.

You should be surprised at the sound quality it produces.

Hi Kenny.
    I was impressed with the M4 and made the purchase.

My only concern is that on further testing it seems to slightly lack the deep bass i enjoy. I've been looking at maybe purchasing an entry level bass unit but want to make sure it will make the difference. The rep did show me the Cambridge SX120 with the M4, and i was impressed, but at another £150 it all becomes a little too expensive. How would the YAMAHA YSTFSW050 fit my needs?

Hi Kenny.
    I was impressed with the M4 and made the purchase.

My only concern is that on further testing it seems to slightly lack the deep bass i enjoy. I've been looking at maybe purchasing an entry level bass unit but want to make sure it will make the difference. The rep did show me the Cambridge SX120 with the M4, and i was impressed, but at another £150 it all becomes a little too expensive. How would the YAMAHA YSTFSW050 fit my needs?
    Hi Louispompey.

Glad that you got to hear it up and running. Not so good that you didn't make your purchase from ourselves :(

May I ask which company you ended up purchasing from? 

The Cambridge SX120 is a very compact and powerful little sub but if you don't want to break the bank you could look at the Tannoy SFX priced at 149.99 Euro (Inc Delivery)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10513-sfx-sub.aspx

Hi Kenny.

I did buy from you, it was your Southampton branch. Thats the closest branch to where i'am currently located. I wouldn't use any other company for my equipment, you all really know your stuff.

Thanks

Hi Kenny.

I did buy from you, it was your Southampton branch. Thats the closest branch to where i'am currently located. I wouldn't use any other company for my equipment, you all really know your stuff.

Thanks
    Hey Louisepompey.

Ahh :D . Got a little confused as most our posts are from people in the south of Ireland.

I worked in the Southampton store for a few days last year. Good bunch of guys.
    Hopefully they set you down with a coffee in the Demo room while you had a listen.

Next time your in tell them you where speaking to Kenny from the Belfast store.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.