Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo or Dublin to win replay?

Comments

BohToffee wrote: »
    If the rules were adhered to yesterday oshea, cluxton, and O'Connor wouldn't have been on the pitch at half time..
    Connolly would have seen red when he did, O'Sullivan gets yellow for a jersey pull and a second in 2nd half, and bastick wouldn't have gotten a black card for what was it appears was a trip from rolling after falling or not intentional. Take away the 1-9 and you have mayo seriously in arrears..

Blue blinkers on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

All the incidents are on Balls.ie including the Mcmahon headbutt and dive and the Cooper kunf fu kick that you neglected to mention.

I don't know how o'connor did the damage he did unless he was wearing a ring on his hand. He was shouting at the umpire when it happened so it very unlikely it was intentional and more of an effort to break free from the hold he was unfairly in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

All the incidents are on Balls.ie including the Mcmahon headbutt and dive and the Cooper kunf fu kick that you neglected to mention.

I don't know how o'connor did the damage he did unless he was wearing a ring on his hand. He was shouting at the umpire when it happened so it very unlikely it was intentional and more of an effort to break free from the hold he was unfairly in.

Got ya, if being held back the it's ok to fling the arm back at an opponents head - the next day should be good if all players bring this attitude to the game.

Not all incidents are on there at all - you fail to mention the arm around the neck of o'sullivan in the 30 minute and dragging him to he ground in a head lock type situation - no where is that mentioned, oshe should have seen black for foul on Cluxton (yes he should have seen red for the kick out which was after the pull down) but who would have been the bigger loss - Cluxton or oshea

The big incidents are replayed but there was a lot of off the ball stuff that goes unnoticed and leads to the blacks, yellows and reds but no one cares.

Go through every incident and I can guantee you that if the right card was given each time - Mayo would have been worse off than Dublin in terms of the timing the incidents occurred and the personality that would have seen black/red - mayo would have lost two key men within fist 10/15 mins , Dublin would have lost Cluxton and cooper.

If both teams are allowed to play football, i.e., off the ball runners are not taking out of the game then Dublin should win the replay as they can't possible play any worse than they did today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If the rules were adhered to yesterday oshea, cluxton, and O'Connor wouldn't have been on the pitch at half time..
    Connolly would have seen red when he did, O'Sullivan gets yellow for a jersey pull and a second in 2nd half, and bastick wouldn't have gotten a black card for what was it appears was a trip from rolling after falling or not intentional. Take away the 1-9 and you have mayo seriously in arrears..

And you can add Cooper and McMahon to that, the penalty for Dublin was outside the box, the point that Brogan got that wasn't.
    See how easy it is to analyse the other side too.

yop wrote: »
    And you can add Cooper and McMahon to that, the penalty for Dublin was outside the box, the point that Brogan got that wasn't.
    See how easy it is to analyse the other side too.

Do you actually know how hawk eye works? If it's a point or wide and the umpire makes the wrong decision and doesn't ask for hawk eye, then the ref is automatically informed and will signal that he wants Hawkeye - hence you see the ref making the TV hand box signal and not the umpire.

In this instance, it was a point and therefore it wasn't needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Do you actually know how hawk eye works? If it's a point or wide and the umpire makes the wrong decision and doesn't ask for hawk eye, then the ref is automatically informed and will signal that he wants Hawkeye - hence you see the ref making the TV hand box signal and not the umpire.

In this instance, it was a point and therefore it wasn't needed.

No I don't know how it works, thanks for that. Umpire didn't call it, ref didn't see. So it wasn't called.
    Presume you have seen this?
    http://www.balls.ie/gaa/bernard-brogan-point/306862

It wasn't a point. It was missed by the officials. Pity, but such is.

No I don't know how it works, thanks for that. Umpire didn't call it, ref didn't see. So it wasn't called.
    Presume you have seen this?
    http://www.balls.ie/gaa/bernard-brogan-point/306862

It wasn't a point. It was missed by the officials. Pity, but such is.

All points are reviewed on hawk eye during the game if wrong decision is made then ref is notified and the hawk eye screen is shown - your looking at two angles in the above, hawkeye uses 4 angles to make the call.

The keeper who is right under it didn't exactly complain about it?

• Advertisement

All points are reviewed on hawk eye during the game if wrong decision is made then ref is notified and the hawk eye screen is shown - your looking at two angles in the above, hawkeye uses 4 angles to make the call.

The keeper who is right under it didn't exactly complain about it?

And we remember how reliable that was back in the minor hurling..... Its sound, it was missed, as I said, such is life.

And we remember how reliable that was back in the minor hurling..... Its sound, it was missed, as I said, such is life.

So what do you want to happen, umpire though it was point - do you go with the umpire, the technology or a very dodgy video which the poster on balls says is dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Got ya, if being held back the it's ok to fling the arm back at an opponents head - the next day should be good if all players bring this attitude to the game.

Not all incidents are on there at all - you fail to mention the arm around the neck of o'sullivan in the 30 minute and dragging him to he ground in a head lock type situation - no where is that mentioned, oshe should have seen black for foul on Cluxton (yes he should have seen red for the kick out which was after the pull down) but who would have been the bigger loss - Cluxton or oshea

The big incidents are replayed but there was a lot of off the ball stuff that goes unnoticed and leads to the blacks, yellows and reds but no one cares.

Go through every incident and I can guantee you that if the right card was given each time - Mayo would have been worse off than Dublin in terms of the timing the incidents occurred and the personality that would have seen black/red - mayo would have lost two key men within fist 10/15 mins , Dublin would have lost Cluxton and cooper.

If both teams are allowed to play football, i.e., off the ball runners are not taking out of the game then Dublin should win the replay as they can't possible play any worse than they did today.

Swore i wouldn't get involved in this my team was cleaner than your team ****e but Cian O' Sullivan was smashed in the chest by the Mayo number 20 in the lead up to the goal. The ball was on the ground and had been kicked by O' Sullivan before the shoulder came in. O' Sullivan couldn't move for a while afterwards. Happened right in front of me.

Haven't heard a thing about it on these boards or in the national media.

Anyway back on track. Both sides were collectively a disgrace to the game. To bring to that to levels of gradation is missing the ****ing point imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehhh you forgot jonny "chan" cooper and philly "yosser" mcmahon.

Does anyone know how one gets a Specsavers franchise, because I reckon there is a fortune to be made in Dublin.

Better still take away any frees to Mayo, continue on with giving wide points as points and you can be sure Dublin will win.
    If only Carlsberg did Dublin matches.
    BTW I claim copyright on that idea. :D

It is hard to know who will win the next day as both teams really did not live up to billing and a lot of players didn't deliver.

I am not allowed discuss …

So what do you want to happen, umpire though it was point - do you go with the umpire, the technology or a very dodgy video which the poster on balls says is dodgy?

Use the video of course.
    Technology has been known to be dodgy, umpires are human and potentially open error. So ask the crowd of course.

Use the video of course.
    Technology has been known to be dodgy, umpires are human and potentially open error. So ask the crowd of course.

Of course but the video is not in play during the game - so you have

A) the ref
    B) the umpire
    C) hawkeye

All of which said it was a point.

The video replays also show that about 4 lads should have gotten red cards and about 3 others blank cards and at least one shouldn't haven gotten it. And as I pointed out the mayo team would have lost far more experience had oshea get the black and the elbow into ocarroll resulted in red for mayo - but please continue to by pass these incidents

• Advertisement

Of course but the video is not in play during the game - so you have

A) the ref
    B) the umpire
    C) hawkeye

All of which said it was a point.

The video replays also show that about 4 lads should have gotten red cards and about 3 others blank cards and at least one shouldn't haven gotten it. And as I pointed out the mayo team would have lost far more experience had oshea get the black and the elbow into ocarroll resulted in red for mayo - but please continue to by pass these incidents

And a, b and c have all proven to be error prone previously.
    Not by passing anything, just decided to follow the train here and put on the red and green tints.

Meanwhile back in the real world we all know what happened during the game, but thankfully can see it and accept that and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

corny wrote: »
    Both sides were collectively a disgrace to the game. T.

That's my overall feeling on the whole game yesterday. I feel let down by the players who prioritised bludgeoning each other to a standstill rather than playing football. As a Dublin supporter who has been in many a debate with friends over my annoyance at how some of the Ulster teams play "football" I'm pretty much disgusted at how the Dublin players conducted themselves yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I'm going to say Dublin by 4 or 5 points. Mayo have a very poor record in replays for some reason and I can't see Dublin playing as poorly two weeks in a row.

If the referee cracks down next week Kerry could be the biggest winner as there will likely be a few easy red cards. If Cormac Reilly is the referee you can guarantee it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Jesus, two umpires, a goalkeeper who did not protest, the referee, and hawkeye all agree it was a point :confused:

That minor game there was an issue with the graphic, which is just a gimmick used to entertain the fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think the fuss about Brogan's point is pretty laughable tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'm going to say Dublin by 4 or 5 points. Mayo have a very poor record in replays for some reason and I can't see Dublin playing as poorly two weeks in a row.

We lost to Kerry last year and the last c'ship replay i can recall was V Fermanagh in 04 which we won so not sure what you're on about

keane2097 wrote: »

I'm just pushing the point that when you wear the blue or red/green tints then you'll believe anything.
    Some of the stuff posted here today is Jim Corr level of conspiracy. I see the latest one is that AOS pulled Philly towards him and it wasn't a headbutt. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm just pushing the point that when you wear the blue or red/green tints then you'll believe anything.
    Some of the stuff posted here today is Jim Corr level of conspiracy. I see the latest one is that AOS pulled Philly towards him and it wasn't a headbutt. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm not wearing either tint (well I've been accused of wearing both several times today if that's the same thing) but the McMahon video that has appeared in the last while makes the headbutt accusation look questionable IMO.

The claims that AOS deliberately manufactured the situation to make it look like he was headbutted is even worse, but not as convinced there was anything in it as I was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

There's a video doing the rounds that begs to differ.....

When I think back on some of the stuff that guys must have gotten away with before there was 100+ cameras pointed at them, it makes you wonder.

Jaden wrote: »
    There's a video doing the rounds that begs to differ.....

When I think back on some of the stuff that guys must have gotten away with before there was 100+ cameras pointed at them, it makes you wonder.

As there was a video of the point that was that wasn't if you get me.

Anyway, regardless, we are a replay anyway so let it all go on again next week and see where it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I'm not wearing either tint (well I've been accused of wearing both several times today if that's the same thing) but the McMahon video that has appeared in the last while makes the headbutt accusation look questionable IMO.

The claims that AOS deliberately manufactured the situation to make it look like he was headbutted is even worse, but not as convinced there was anything in it as I was yesterday.

A balanced view no doubt but its very logical to conclude O' Shea played the entire situation. His performance at the time and to the media after, where he categorically claimed he was butted suggests as much.

The micro analysis isn't needed. McMahon made no contact with his head. He lied. If anyone wants to cling to the 'there was contact' or 'intent' ****e that you hear in the soccer i give up.

The sanctimonious stuff written here about how well he did to keep his cool is galling in light of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I notice people are very quiet now about Keegan and how he should get a red card for starting the fight with Connelly by getting him in a choke hold and dragging him to the ground. funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Is that so? So how do you explain the below posts? :rolleyes:

Nothing worse than someone with an agenda against a particular county.
    O'Connor pretty plainly guilty of two if not three red card offences IMO.
    Cillian O'Connor's one has to be a red card for me all day long. Threw his arm back with the intention of striking O'Carroll, achieved this and did desperate damage.
    I certainly agree Cillian O'Connor failed to cover himself in glory throughout the game.

I'm sure there's dozens more similar anti mayo and anti cillian o'connor posts from you if I looked. That is just a sample.

Is that so? So how do you explain the below posts? :rolleyes:

Nothing worse than someone with an agenda against a particular county.

I'm sure there's dozens more similar anti mayo and anti cillian o'connor posts from you if I looked. That is just a sample.

Hi dude, welcome to the GAA forum. Fair play for getting here before September like the clowns we're sure to see arriving before too much longer.

• Advertisement

We all need to stop talking about bans.

It was a tough rugged game no doubt between two teams really up for it. Do we want to see half the players banned or do we want a good game the next day?

I'd rather football games decided on the field, not behind closed doors.

Hi dude, welcome to the GAA forum. Fair play for getting here before September like the clowns we're sure to see arriving before too much longer.

You're a great man for giving digs on forums aren't you.

Anyways, some of us get tired of the auld Kerry cute hoorism. Pretending not to have this or that agenda when its so blatent.

Cillian O'Connor is one of the best players in the country - no wonder you want him banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Among ones where he calls out Connolly for starting and finishing that particular incident.

I agree with him on all those Mayo points.

You're a great man for giving digs on forums aren't you.

Anyways, some of us get tired of the auld Kerry cute hoorism. Pretending not to have this or that agenda when its so blatent.

Cillian O'Connor is one of the best players in the country - no wonder you want him banned.

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

As most people know here my name is David, I live in Ranelagh and you can find me here:

www.twitter.com/keane2097

If you ever want to buy me a pint and tell me your own name I'll happily explain any posts to you you wish.

What's your name?

PARlance wrote: »
    Among ones where he calls out Connolly for starting and finishing that particular incident.

I agree with him on all those Mayo points.

Well (a) he's from Kerry and (b) its in Kerry's interest to see the best players from either team given longterm bans even if those players don't deserve it. I wouldn't pay him any heed. Like I said, the Kerry cute hoorism rares its ugly head around this time of year when Kerry sniff an AI. You have to take everything a Kerry man says with a large measure of salt this time of year.

Trying to get Philly McMahon off as well so he can get a red card against Kerry as well natch

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

As most people know here my name is David, I live in Ranelagh and you can find me here:

If you ever want to buy me a pint and tell me your own name I'll happily explain any posts to you you wish.

What's your name?

And from your twitter account "Proud Kerry man"

I rest my case. Try to take off the Kerry jersey for a while...just a few minutes even. I know you can do it. Go on, just once :)

And from your twitter account "Proud Kerry man"

I rest my case. Try to take off the Kerry jersey for a while...just a few minutes even. I know you can do it. Go on, just once :)

Throwing digs on forums eh?! Sure you're great.

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

What's your name?

You should start up the podcast again, was a good listen. Niche there for something that talks about something other than passion and intensity. Off the ball is the only one really worth listening to atm

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You should start up the podcast again, was a good listen. Niche there for something that talks about something other than passion and intensity. Off the ball is the only one really worth listening to atm

Thanks very much for saying so. In an ideal world we'd still be doing it but the commitment to get to the studio after work with all the preparation done was a bit too much sadly.

Glad you enjoyed the few episodes that were produced anyway!

Dontfoul is something else isn't he!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well (a) he's from Kerry and (b) its in Kerry's interest to see the best players from either team given longterm bans even if those players don't deserve it. I wouldn't pay him any heed. Like I said, the Kerry cute hoorism rares its ugly head around this time of year when Kerry sniff an AI. You have to take everything a Kerry man says with a large measure of salt this time of year.

The women are the same, I happened to marry one of the nasty buggers.
    There is so much goodwill for Mayo down there that it's embarrassing.

The only thing I take with a large measure of salt from them is when they play down their chances or play up ours.
    Not many of them will be on the edge of their seat looking for long term bans... that's not their style at all. They have a bit more self belief (which does go missing from time to time when talking about their chances...see above) than to be looking for bans to win All Ireland's.

I'd rather see Connolly playing on his current form than someone like McMenaman or Alan Brogan. Plus he might get sent off again if he plays :)

Yeh sad to see one or two Kerry people hoping that this player or that gets a long term ban.

Dontfoul is something else isn't he!?

I like his twitter alright. "Jimmy stats" someone in the office referred to his as last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

realies wrote: »
    as usual Dublin walk through lenster and never have a real game till quarter finals or semi, so today's match was a real first game for them and they can only improve.

I do have to laugh at the copious amounts of comments like this. Mayo, like Dublin, have not been tested up until yesterday. I just don't get why people think Dublin are the only ones have walked through the provincials and quaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

kupus wrote: »
    I notice people are very quiet now about Keegan and how he should get a red card for starting the fight with Connelly by getting him in a choke hold and dragging him to the ground. funny that.

Keegan has no case to answer. In fact the yellow he got might even be harsh.
    Here's why.
    http://www.livegaelic.com/features/the-clearest-angle-of-the-connolly-red-card-incident-yet/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Patww79 wrote: »

You're obviously reading things that are either not there , or that are written by someone else and attributing it to me.

I replied to a posters incorrect assertion that somehow Keegan deserved a red for the incident you can clearly see in this video.

No way in any universe did Keegan deserve a red so any suggestion he did is incredibly stupid.

The whataboutery from both sides is tiring at this stage and the inference from yourself that my contribution is somehow seeking a sympathetic view of Mayo is quite frankly equally as ridiculous as a lot of the utter ****e that has been spouted here and elsewhere on yesterday's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

What's your name?

David ?
    David ?

Where the heck did I get Barry John from ?.

Blackjack wrote: »
    You're obviously reading things that are either not there , or that are written by someone else and attributing it to me.

I replied to a posters incorrect assertion that somehow Keegan deserved a red for the incident you can clearly see in this video.

No way in any universe did Keegan deserve a red so any suggestion he did is incredibly stupid.

The whataboutery from both sides is tiring at this stage and the inference from yourself that my contribution is somehow seeking a sympathetic view of Mayo is quite frankly equally as ridiculous as a lot of the utter ****e that has been spouted here and elsewhere on yesterday's game.

I hope everyone can move past bans and so on for the rest of the week and talk about the upcoming game and football. There was a niggle to the game and it will be there again next week. The real question is, who can win it. Coming from Mayo, I sense more heartache for Mayo, lose by a point or something like that. Having said that, even if we lose, I'm happy enough with the progress made this year and the management transition has been smooth enough, as well as a few young players brought along. Regardless of this year, Mayo will be there or thereabouts against next year and the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

mayo for sam

• Advertisement
Advertisement