Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Does Buying A New Car Effect My Tax

Options
  • 30-08-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a full time job and a just started a second job (soletrader business).

I use my current car a lot for my soletrader business in the evenings and at the weekend.

I am going to get an account soon (feel free to recommend), however i am aware that you can put down a certain % of your car costs and depreciation as a business expense.

I am considering buying a new car in 2016. How does this affect my business expense in terms of tax?

Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

paul7g wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a full time job and a just started a second job (soletrader business).

I use my current car a lot for my soletrader business in the evenings and at the weekend.

I am going to get an account soon (feel free to recommend), however i am aware that you can put down a certain % of your car costs and depreciation as a business expense.

I am considering buying a new car in 2016. How does this affect my business expense in terms of tax?

Paul

I'd ask an accountant if I were you it's relatively complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lstmd

am I correct to say it depends on percentage of car use private versus business. How would bik affect this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lstmd wrote: »
    am I correct to say it depends on percentage of car use private versus business. How would bik affect this?

That's literally tipping the iceberg.

It depends on total business mileage, who/what owns the car (i.e. company versus individual) whether it is bought outright or leased.

There are myriad combinations here, which is why OP needs an accountant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stheno wrote: »
    That's literally tipping the iceberg.

It depends on total business mileage, who/what owns the car (i.e. company versus individual) whether it is bought outright or leased.

There are myriad combinations here, which is why OP needs an accountant

If the OP is a sole trader, what company?

Graham wrote: »
    If the OP is a sole trader, what company?

Missed that, apologies.

Still relatively complex though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you use your car 50% of the time for business, you claim 50% of the expense against tax. If you're registered for VAT, only VAT against diesel is claimable.

As for a new car. The last I heard (3/4 years ago) you can claim up to €23,000 against tax as a sole trader.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭paul7g

If you use your car 50% of the time for business, you claim 50% of the expense against tax. If you're registered for VAT, only VAT against diesel is claimable.

As for a new car. The last I heard (3/4 years ago) you can claim up to €23,000 against tax as a sole trader.

Thank you. So if i use my car 50% for work (sole trader business) and i'm registered for VAT, i can claim €23,000 back in the same Tax year or is this €23,000 spread out over a number of years.

Hoping to meet with an accountant this weekend.

Thank you. So if i use my car 50% for work (sole trader business) and i'm registered for VAT, i can claim €23,000 back in the same Tax year or is this €23,000 spread out over a number of years.

Hoping to meet with an accountant this weekend.

I was told in a single tax year. However, if you did it every year I'm sure they'd have issues.

If you ask 10 different accountants the same question, you'll probably get ten different answers. Remember they're aim is to make money off you and to avoid a run-in with the Revenue, it's not necessarily to save you tax. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭paul7g

I was told in a single tax year. However, if you did it every year I'm sure they'd have issues.

If you ask 10 different accountants the same question, you'll probably get ten different answers. Remember they're aim is to make money off you and to avoid a run-in with the Revenue, it's not necessarily to save you tax. :rolleyes:

Good point :-) Then who do i ask :-)

Thanks for your help on this.

Good point :-) Then who do i ask :-)

Thanks for your help on this.

Contact your local Revenue office perhaps? They're usually pretty helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement