Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish or French

• 30-08-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm repeating my leaving cert this year and I want to drop either french or irish (I will still have 7 subjects). I got a C1 in both.

I'm strong in oral Irish, I got anything between 200-224 out of 240 but I fell down in my written due to my poor spelling and grammar. I also did quite poorly in my aural.

I did well in my French written but I fell down in my oral. I only got 44 out of 80 in my aural.

I need to improve my aural in both subjects. My question is, in your opinion would it be easier to improve my irish written or my french oral?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ehmcgarry

I would probably say french. I'm repeating too, and dropping irish, and trying to improve my french. In my opinion, the irish course will not be half as predictable with only one poem/story left undone. Also we were quite lucky with the essay titles. The sraith pictures are really putting me off too. Also, when it comes to listening/speaking french, there's a lot more help available online because there's people learning all over the world instead of just ireland. But it's up to you. Good luck :)

"mouv" is also a good french radio station to improve your listening skills too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

There is so much more in the Irish course in my opinion so I think you should drop Irish and keep up French. For example if you keep on Irish you'll have to learn 20 new sraithphictuirs where as almost all of the French oral will be the same as last year. The fact also that French is only one paper and is quite late in the exams (second week) means that it wouldn't take up as much time to cram during the exam weeks where as Irish takes longer.

Advertisement