Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One for 7 year old

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old daughter has started dropping some major hints that she'd like an xbox for Christmas.

She's a big fan of Minecraft...she plays this on her tablet.

I'm between two minds, part of me thinks she's too young and this is a very expensive gift.

But the other part of me thinks that she'll get a lot of enjoyment from it and that it'll last for a few years to come (or she grows out of it) or (a newer version comes out)

So I have a few questions:

Is 7 too young?

Just to make sure that this isn't a notion she has in her head, is there anywhere you can hire an Xbox One to see I this is something she's really into?

Is the Kinect only compatible with the xbox one?

Anything else you think I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think you'd be better with a 360, there's not that many games exclusive to the 1 that are suitable for kids anyway.
    You can get a good condition boxed pre-owned one from CeX for €135, and there is such a huge backlist of games suitable for her age for a fraction of the €60 odd you'd pay for a newish xbone game.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Just to add the Xbox 360 250gb are on special for €99 in tesco at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks the groutch and th283,

360 seems like the way to go and is a bargain at €99...

Final question I can get a Kinect for the 360 as well yeah?

Sorry a newbie here with no gaming experience so I said that I better ask the experts.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

boobar wrote: »
    Thanks the groutch and th283,

360 seems like the way to go and is a bargain at €99...

Final question I can get a Kinect for the 360 as well yeah?

Sorry a newbie here with no gaming experience so I said that I better ask the experts.

There is a kinect available for the 360 yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I would advise against it to be honest.

My sister in law got the nephew on last year (he's 4!!!!!) and it is the biggest dust collector I have ever seen.

He plays minecraft the odd time on it that's it.

The 360 will honestly be more than enough. Get the Kinect and Xbox live to get the free games every month and she will be flying.

edit - Minecraft is available for the 360 also. And you can also get netflix and the sky player (which isnt on the One)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

sugarman wrote: »
    which Tesco did you see this in do you mind me asking? Wouldnt mind a new one myself at the price!

I saw it in tesco in Tralee, there are other stores mentioned as having it in the bargain alerts thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm in the same situation. If anyone sees a Tesco stocking them at 99 can you post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 robinmgp

Sorry I'm a new user, i cant post links :P

tesco . com / direct / xbox-360e-4gb-console /397-6991.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=397-6991

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

robinmgp wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a new user, i cant post links :P

tesco . com / direct / xbox-360e-4gb-console /397-6991.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=397-6991

http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294&searchquery=Xbox+360+console&SrchId=4294967294

129GBP before postage. Not sure the 4GB is such a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

My kids have it in the xbox but don't play it nearly often enough.

That's because we also have our on pc that they say that' it's far superior as more versatile online.

So if it's just minecraft then I suggest pc over console.

• Advertisement
Advertisement