Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get on with your folks?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Its come to the point where I can barely stand being around mine for too long. They're attitude sucks. Always negative about everything and a victim mentality. Always talking about the same old stuff when I see them. It really saddens me as I know they'll never change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TruncatisVinea

At a certain point you have to decide if you just don't love spending time with them, or if they are actually toxic to your life.
    Had a lot of disagreements with older family members recently during the marriage equality vote and the devide is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've always gotten on great with mine. They have been very supportive of me, particularly through the last couple of years which have been very rough for my son and I. They've shown me what true unconditional love is like, and if I can be half as good a parent to my son, I'll be very happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My parents separated when I was ten and divorced when I was 22.

Oddly enough over the years I've grown closer to my dad. He's a bit difficult to talk to but as I get older we have more in common!

My mum and I have had our ups and downs. We were really close growing up, but she's had a few crazy outbursts, a lot in relation to my dad, divorce, the recession hitting , money etc. it's just really highlighted what a selfish greedy money grabbing bitch she is when she wants to be. Also her treatment of me coming up to my wedding and when she was unwell was appalling. So it's taken a long time to heal for these incidences mainly due to the fact she isn't sorry at all for her behaviour.

I'd say overall I'm relatively distant and 'professional' with them. They are not friends and I don't tell them my life's secrets. But they are loving grandparents to my son and we get along fine most of the time.

I think when you get older you see your parents as real people and you realise they are not perfect. You also realise you may have very little in common with them other than blood. For your own sanity you can try and distance yourself from them a bit, and for the times you are with them, just suck it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had a lot of disagreements with older family members recently during the marriage equality vote and the devide is still there.

Oh that's fierce sad. You've fallen out with your family over politics?

We get on well with mine, and my in-laws, thank goodness. We don't have the same opinions on everything, but I wouldn't expect that. We'd have nothing to talk about otherwise! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry OP, this is not really what this forum is about. You could try Personal Issues perhaps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement