Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to live out of a Hostel?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Not much comfort no doubt......but possible? Can you cook?
    Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's possible in most hostels but really I would only recommend hostel living in the short term. Security of person and property would be big concerns for me, but also the lack of control over who shares your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Not very comfortable, but possible yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I stayed in a hostel for 3 weeks once when I got a little burned out on travelling. It was ok. If you stay in a 4-bed room outside of tourist season, you'll often have the room to yourself, at least during the day.

Yes, you can cook at most hostels, though the kitchen will be busy in the evenings. About personal security, they should have lockers, so you just need to buy a lock.

Some things to be aware of; some hostels make you leave the room for 3+ hours during the day so they can clean the place. Also some places have a rule against staying longer than 30 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Depending on the city, you can find apartments or at least rooms on AirBnb as cheap as hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

its possible for a single person,
    you get a tv, your own small bathroom.
    Its not ideal.
    You have to come back before 11.30 pm everyday.
    i stayed in a hotel for a few months.
    i had a kettle to make tea.
    no cooking facility .
    i.m presuming you have your own private room.
    i got a breakfast in the hotel free every day.
    i suppose you could go to a chipper everyday ,
    or kfc,
    no need to cook everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

riclad wrote: »
    its possible for a single person,
    you get a tv, your own small bathroom.
    Its not ideal.
    You have to come back before 11.30 pm everyday.
    i stayed in a hotel for a few months.
    i had a kettle to make tea.
    no cooking facility .
    i.m presuming you have your own private room.
    i got a breakfast in the hotel free every day.
    i suppose you could go to a chipper everyday ,
    or kfc,
    no need to cook everyday.

OP is talking about a hostel not a hotel. I don't think I've ever stayed in hostel that had no cooking facilities, not in this country anyway.
    I lived in 1 for a month in London, lack of privacy is a pain but it is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea its possible but a pain in the rim to be honest. you ll go nuts with the lack of personal space. most modern hostels have lockers so that kinna solves the security issue but i wouldnt really recommend it for long term. most hostel kitchens are accessible for most of the day. some do shut for the night time. it can be difficult to sleep at night to due to people coming and going. i suggest going to bed early not only to try get a good night sleep but it may give you some sort of control over room noise at night time. earplugs and blindfold are always helpful. you d be surprised of the amount of people that simply dont care about those that are sleeping. regularly coming in turning on lights and making noise. id suggest if possible, leaving a light on in the room, ensuites are great for this, and leaving door open, in order to give some sort of light in the room while your sleeping. this 'sometimes' prevents others from turning on other lights in the room. if you're planning on working or studying, im not sure id recommend it at all even though ive done it myself. there was others doing the same thing and having similar problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭excalaber

excalaber wrote: »
    Not much comfort no doubt......but possible? Can you cook?
    Thanks in Advance

Thinking of doing it in Dublin to be in the middle of the city without paying astronomical rent, .....i think i can handle the lack of comfort...just wondering if i can store and cook food....and will they let me stay for a lengthy period....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭excalaber

Thinking of doing it in Dublin to be in the middle of the city without paying astronomical rent, .....i think i can handle the lack of comfort...just wondering if i can store and cook food....and will they let me stay for a lengthy period....

Also is there a curfew on the time you can arrive in at night?

i done this for a while as i was in college in dublin. its not easy at all particularly when you have to be up in the morning for work or college. there was other students there as well and the odd working person. you generally can store food and cook. hostel i was staying in had a few long term guests. they were getting a little fed up with the long termers just as i was leaving for various different reasons. i done it for couple of years for a couple of days of the week. couldnt have managed a full week in the hostel. best of contact hostels directly to inquire about long term stays

• Advertisement

Also is there a curfew on the time you can arrive in at night?

some have curfew most dont. havent come across an irish one that has but im sure they exist. almost got caught with a curfew in a hostel in hong kong before. had to jump a fence filled to the gills with beer. dont know how i didnt kill myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

To answer OP, yes certain city centre (or at least one I know of) hostels have people staying long-term. Fairly sure they have lockers and they have no problem with people staying long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Lucena wrote: »
    To answer OP, yes certain city centre (or at least one I know of) hostels have people staying long-term. Fairly sure they have lockers and they have no problem with people staying long-term.

Most ones i've seen explicitly don't let people stay long term. In England some even ask for proof of ID that you're not from the area.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Most ones i've seen explicitly don't let people stay long term. In England some even ask for proof of ID that you're not from the area.

most hostels require some form of id preferably passport but i only show photo id in irish ones and its acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Lucena wrote: »

I worked in a Hostel and the rule was only 1 week max. After a week people have no boundaries and will have the place in ****, with all their clothes and everything all over the place. Where as all the other guests would be more tidy.

I wouldnt live out of a Hostel long term. I can be draining everyday having the same small talk with different people. Plus everyone wants to know your story(Im not BSing on this one). You will have no personal space in a hostel and it can be tiring living out of a suitcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ireland has two very different types of hostels: homeless and backpacker/tourist. I think most people are talking about the 2nd.

One backpacker hostel in Galway has devoted an entire floor to students, it's the 2nd year they've done it and some people have even come back for a 2nd year. They do either a 5-day or 7-day basis, and are sharing 4brm or 6brm dorms with other students. No curfew, there's always a staff member on duty, access to a good kitchen and lounge areas, and secure storage for laptops. Breakfast is the only time you don't have kitchen access, and that's because the staff are serving a continental breakfast to everyone.

I stayed there when I came here as a tourist, and then when I was job hunting. I got offered a job and had to start work that week and travel overseas to a meeting the following week - so no time to find an apartment immediately. So I ended up living there for about 4 weeks while I was working, and it was a lot better than I expected. I discovered there were lots of other worker guests, some only spending 2-3 night/week in the city, others like myself in transition from tourist to resident, and a very few making it a longer term lifestyle. I was all set to find it was too hard and move into a BnB, but found it was quite do-able: once the staff got to know you were working, they put the party-animal tourist types into other rooms, and it was good to have the lounge / recreation space.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Otterholt in Carlow had students in one third of the hostel "russians" living in the other third, and the final third was people renting short term. The students would have the key for their room, and most had their own fridge inside the room. They'd be mostly sharing with between one and three other people that they'd be friends with.
    It's the city centre, thus the rent will be high. The savings you make won't be great, but I doubt would be worth it. Also, you'll have to find a laundrette to wash your clothes in. I think there's one on Georges street somewhere. I'd say you'll want to be queuing for the bathroom earlish!

TBH, if you don't mind staying in a hostel, have a look at some of the one beds/bedsits. A €800 one bed out in Drumcondra, or a €580 bedsit in Portobello.

I'd wonder would a hostel beat a cheap bedsit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I lived in a hostel for a good while when I was in college. I did go gone at weekends though. I really liked the experience as the location was great and the staff treated me very we'll. for example, they would give me a desk that I could use to do a bit of work. The only problem with living in one is that some people can be really rude. Having sex and making groaning noises while I was trying to sleep for example. I also one shared a room with the loudest snorer I've ever met

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, you'll have to find a laundrette to wash your clothes in. I think there's one on Georges street somewhere. I'd say you'll want to be queuing for the bathroom earlish!

Every backpacker hostel I've ever stayed in had a laundry.

Advertisement