Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting additional locks on rented apartment

Options
  • 30-08-2015 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently renting a ground floor apartment and was just chatting to the upstairs neighbour a few mins ago. Her apartment was broken into last night and the scumbags wrecked the place.

The sickening thing is I actually seen the guys who did it and thought they looked a bit suspicious as I'd never seen them in the area before. But I just thought maybe they were visitors and I dismissed it. Raging now.

Anyway....they broke in pretty easily through the front door. The doors on our apartments are really really flimsy and there's just the one key lock on the door.

I'd like to get extra locks fitted just in case, especially since my wife is home alone all day with a new baby and I'd be worried something could happen while she's here alone.
    My question is....Can I ask my landlord to fit another lock to the door or is that something I'd need to take care of myself?
    If it's the latter, then that's fine. I'll get it done myself. But if it's something the landlord is responsible for then I'll give him a shout.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

As far as I know, you'll have to ask the landlord for permission to fit the new lock, because it's changing the appearance of the place (putting a hole in the door). Just explain the situation and I doubt they'll mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can ask the landlord but they are under no obligation to accommodate your request. If they say no, you need to tread very carefully as your lease will probably contain a phrase along the lines of not making physical alterations to the property without consent. A door chain might be a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A door chain is of no use when they break in and you're not home. I added a chubb to a rental apartment a few years ago after the apt across the hall had an attempted break in. While I know I should have, I didn't ask the landlord and just left all the keys when we moved out. He didn't bring it up and we got our deposit back fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Effects wrote: »
    A door chain is of no use when they break in and you're not home.

The OP specifically refers to concern for his wife who is home alone with a new baby all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I lived in an apartment block in Dublin a few years ago. One of the neighbours was a complete scummer, he broke into another neighbours apartment when she popped out to the shop. He kicked the bottom half of the door through and robbed the place. My landlord added a chubb and additional hinge supports after I told him, no bother at all.

He was eventually booted out after the drug squad broke down his door one night, I was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I can't imagine any landlord would have a problem with you wanting to make the place more secure but obviously get his permission first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks for the replies.
    We have a dog and although he's fairly small, he goes nuts when someone comes to the door. That would probably deter most burglars anyway but I suppose I'd like an extra bit of security.
    I'll just call the landlord and see what he says. I doubt he'd have much of an issue with an extra security measure being added.

Advertisement