Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling at a rental viewing

Options
  • 30-08-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Is it unheard of in Ireland? I'm going to view a place tomorrow that is, well, way above the ceiling price for the area. It's an ordinary 1 bed apt, priced at 50 euro less than a recently built 4 bed semi detached around the corner. I will say that it is quite high spec in terms of finish (though so is the 4 bed around the corner!) but it's still a small 1 bed apt in a rural town. I don't know if the Landlord is optimistic or pricing it higher expecting someone to try and haggle him down. I've seen another of his properties sitting on daft for months, again priced way above ceiling for the area....it was reduced and reduced every month til someone eventually took it.

There isnt much of a demand for rentals in the area as purchase prices are quite low and most people are able to just buy.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Yip....I know a couple with kids in Galway who had to outbid other potential tenants to secure a house. Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

house across from me is being re-let and the asking price has gone up by 500 a month from its previous tenants who were paying market rate for the area. Thing is, The landlord will probably get it even though its silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it's still a small 1 bed apt in a rural town
    It comes down to demand and supply. If it's rural, there could be less supply, more demand, and he could get his price. Also, by starting off high, and coming down low, he'll find out how much people are prepared to pay.

Oh, and another game is leaving the property on the website, even if someone is in it. Landlords have said it can work out cheaper leaving the same ad on some websites. If someone rings up, the landlords can easily just say that someone else has just got it, "but I've another property nearby".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would you not pay the extra 50 and get the gaff?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I imagine that if people who are tenants today be on landlords tomorrow they would also like to rent their property for as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Is it unheard of in Ireland? I'm going to view a place tomorrow that is, well, way above the ceiling price for the area.

<SNIP>

There isnt much of a demand for rentals in the area as purchase prices are quite low and most people are able to just buy.

If you think the property is overpriced compared to the local market, make a lower offer. The worst that can happen is the landlord says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Is it unheard of in Ireland? I'm going to view a place tomorrow that is, well, way above the ceiling price for the area. It's an ordinary 1 bed apt, priced at 50 euro less than a recently built 4 bed semi detached around the corner. I will say that it is quite high spec in terms of finish (though so is the 4 bed around the corner!) but it's still a small 1 bed apt in a rural town. I don't know if the Landlord is optimistic or pricing it higher expecting someone to try and haggle him down. I've seen another of his properties sitting on daft for months, again priced way above ceiling for the area....it was reduced and reduced every month til someone eventually took it.

I've haggled downward in the past but these days, it's a bidding process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think at the Moment you've little chance of negotiation on price. There are plenty if prospective tenants for every house.
    We re-let recently and had a number of people contacting me before the existing tenants left. I spoke to some recently and they are still looking for a house.

If you find good accommodation at a reasonable rent then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I haggled down the price on the last 4 properties I have rented.
    The last time was 6 months ago.

In most cases I felt the property was worth €50 less than asking. I offered €100 less and the landlord met me in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

In 2011 we haggled a 2 bed in dartry Dublin right beside the Luas stop in Milltown for 1100euro, down from 1200e asking. I saw last year the place was up for 1600e on daft, was taking down within 2 days of going up.

Amazing how it has gone from a market with no demand to a market with such an over demand in a short few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

_Brian wrote: »
    I think at the Moment you've little chance of negotiation on price. There are plenty if prospective tenants for every house.
    We re-let recently and had a number of people contacting me before the existing tenants left. I spoke to some recently and they are still looking for a house.

If you find good accommodation at a reasonable rent then go for it.

It's not as tight in rural areas and the OP has said they are in a rural town.

Advertisement