Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I be worried?!

• 30-08-2015 9:14pm

I left my dogs alone for less than 2 minutes and when I came back my little yorkie mix was frantically gnawing at something. Turned out to be my sock and he's eaten almost half of it. It looked like he wasn't ripping off big chunks but rather chewing through it super fast with tiny bites. Hard to know though because I grabbed it off him the minute I realised! Tbh if it was my other dog I wouldn't be overly concerned but he's just so small I don't know if I should be panicking?! I have him less than a week and I'm still figuring out his little quirks! He's about one if that's of relevance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd wait and see what happens but just keep an eye on him to be safe - he's not the first dog to eat a sock and he won't be the last :) You'll know soon enough how things are progressing - once he's eating and pooing ok I wouldn't worry too much! I know somebody who's Jack Russell ate a child's croc when she was a pup- the whole thing lol and she was fine. The didn't even know until she had blue poo :pac:

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd wait and see what happens but just keep an eye on him to be safe - he's not the first dog to eat a sock and he won't be the last :) You'll know soon enough how things are progressing - once he's eating and pooing ok I wouldn't worry too much! I know somebody who's Jack Russell ate a child's croc when she was a pup- the whole thing lol and she was fine. The didn't even know until she had blue poo :pac:

Thanks tk. I was sorta freaking out a little because I googled it and saw lots of people saying "omg call the emergency surgery at once!!!" Kinda just wanted reassurance. I'll be examining his poos for the next week so!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭catgalway

I've a yorkie cross too & she would eat socks,blankets & the dog beds which I'd only notice when picking up the multi-coloured poop in the garden...no evidence in the house as she swallowed what she chewed!!!That worried me a lot but she survived it & now she just nibbles the odd item & leaves the evidence lying around :) She's a rescue & was fairly young when dumped (she would toilet in her bed)so I think that has a bearing on my dogs behaviour.

catgalway wrote: »
    I've a yorkie cross too & she would eat socks,blankets & the dog beds which I'd only notice when picking up the multi-coloured poop in the garden...no evidence in the house as she swallowed what she chewed!!!That worried me a lot but she survived it & now she just nibbles the odd item & leaves the evidence lying around :) She's a rescue & was fairly young when dumped (she would toilet in her bed)so I think that has a bearing on my dogs behaviour.

I'm pretty sure that's all ahead of me! Just this morning I've intercepted him trying to eat the cello tape, my phone charger, more socks and the sleeve of my jumper! He wasn't at anything like that the first few days so I'm hoping it's a positive sign that he's relaxing and coming into his own! He's the first little dog I've ever had and he just seems so tiny and vulnerable compared to the big sturdy dogs I'm used to.
    I don't know what his past is like. He was found straying a couple of months ago and no one ever came forward for him. He really loved the people who were looking after him in the meantime. They just unfortunately weren't in a position to keep him long term, so I'm sure leaving them was very hard on him. So yeah I'm going with it being a sign he's relaxing and letting his cheeky inner self out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

How old is the dog OP?

My border terrier chewed endless amount of socks, shoes etc and never had any issues with her. As other posters said, just keep an eye on her poo and make sure she's not having any difficulties and she'll be fine.

My dog took nearly 1.5 years to fully grow out of the chewing so you will be dealing with it for a while yet. Just try your best not to leave anything around because the dog WILL find it! :)

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    How old is the dog OP?

My border terrier chewed endless amount of socks, shoes etc and never had any issues with her. As other posters said, just keep an eye on her poo and make sure she's not having any difficulties and she'll be fine.

My dog took nearly 1.5 years to fully grow out of the chewing so you will be dealing with it for a while yet. Just try your best not to leave anything around because the dog WILL find it! :)

He's about 1. He's been pooing and eating grand today and is as hyper as ever so I'm not too worried now. Poo had no trace of a polka dot sock yet though so I'll keep watching out for that! Have to watch out for an earplug now as well! :P ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Scariest thing I ever had was a visiting dog that pooped loads of a silver substance, I was convinced it was metal! Turns out she had eaten a pair of silver flip flops :D, I was never more relieved to hear of a dog eating a pair of shoes!

Scariest thing I ever had was a visiting dog that pooped loads of a silver substance, I was convinced it was metal! Turns out she had eaten a pair of silver flip flops :D, I was never more relieved to hear of a dog eating a pair of shoes!

Ha! That's reassuring! Least he hasn't eaten anything that bad... Yet! I'm actually a little interested to see what this polka dot poop will look like. :D yeah I need to get a life.

Congratulations on your new arrival BLM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey once found at ate a bag of rotten mince. I was afraid the bag would be all wrapped around his guts like you hear about but no 2 days later a perfectly formed poo made out of a plastic bag appeared lol!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My last dog Chica:

A cloth swimming cap - came out the other end in one piece.
    A pair of balled up socks - puked up a minute or two later.
    A piece of string - inhaled like a piece of spaghetti and never seen again.
    And many more...

• Advertisement

I momentarily wondered if people would think I was a bad puppy mama for not keeping a better eye on him. I think it's safe to say you guys did not! :D;)

I think someone needs to make a 'weird things your pet has eaten' thread.

Advertisement