Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to obtain a death cert

Options
  • 30-08-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently lost my mother and I need to get a death cert to start the ball rolling on her will etc.

She died in University Hospital Galway and there was an autopsy which I'm guessing may delay things. If so is it possible to get some sort of interim death cert which confirms she passed away (so her affairs can be put in order) but doesn't confirm the final confirmed cause of death?

I know I can probably suss all this out by calling UCH Galway tomorrow but I'd much prefer to get a steer from knowledgeable people here rather than get the run around and handed on from Billy to Jack by bureaucrats in UCH Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Hi,

I recently lost my mother and I need to get a death cert to start the ball rolling on her will etc.

She died in University Hospital Galway and there was an autopsy which I'm guessing may delay things. If so is it possible to get some sort of interim death cert which confirms she passed away (so her affairs can be put in order) but doesn't confirm the final confirmed cause of death?

I know I can probably suss all this out by calling UCH Galway tomorrow but I'd much prefer to get a steer from knowledgeable people here rather than get the run around and handed on from Billy to Jack by bureaucrats in UCH Galway.

Hi I'm sorry for your loss. The Coroner can issue an Interim Death Certificate if you need it before the cause of death is confirmed. Not all institutions will make payments on policies based on this however it may suit for your purpose. you may still need the Grant of Probate and final Death Certificate to settle insurance policies. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Happened to me 2 years ago. The gang over in Legal Discussion were a great help. Here's the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87582757

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks FV,

I actually called the Coroners office on Tuesday and the Interim Cert was with me on Wednesday!!

Not bad at all.

Advertisement